PDA

View Full Version : Successful and Failed Remakes

Scotty_ffgamer
09-16-2015, 09:02 PM
So I started playing my copy of MGS: The Twin Snakes for the first time today, and it got me thinking about game remakes.

Are there any gaming remakes that you've played that really capture the feeling of the original game while also improving upon it? The Twin Snakes isn't really a good example of this to me as it just really doesn't seem to capture the same atmosphere of the original game to me, with dialogue feeling more flat, music being less memorable, and the action scenes feeling way more over the top than they should.

Fynn
09-16-2015, 09:15 PM
FFIV DS is like the perfect remake. It really builds up on the source material in a lot of ways, and is the definite FFIV experience in my opinion.

NeoCracker
09-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Agreed, IV's remake was fantastic.

Pike
09-16-2015, 10:05 PM
So am I the only person who liked The Twin Snakes?

Scotty_ffgamer
09-16-2015, 10:11 PM
I still enjoy The Twin Snakes; I just prefer the original. The more I played it, the more I just wanted to pop in my old PS1 disc. There is probably as much nostalgia as anything else being the problem for me though. The original had such an impact on me as a kid that I probably can't help but feel like something is wrong when it's not exactly the same, haha.

I got a similar feeling as I did with the 3DS remake of Star Fox 64. That game is beautiful and plays really well, but I just can't handle that all of the dialogue has been rerecorded. Even if it's the same voice actors, everything sounds off to me just because it's not delivered in exactly the way I remember. Both of these are games I've played way too many times though.

Del Murder
09-16-2015, 10:25 PM
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP was the best remake I've seen.

Vyk
09-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Shining Force Resurrection of the Dark Dragon was garbage

Resident Evil HD was pretty awesome

I honestly haven't played a lot of comparable games. Either just the original or just the remake. I'm having trouble thinking of anything

NeoCracker
09-16-2015, 11:21 PM
The Final Fantasy Tactics Remake, though technically that was more of a port with updated translation. But fuck you I'm counting it.

Wolf Kanno
09-17-2015, 08:11 AM
The Dragon Quest series remakes, specifically DQ1-6. Seriously, emulate the originals and then pop in the GBA/DS remakes and tell me they are not 100x better in every way.

Fynn
09-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP was the best remake I've seen.

OMG, this!

And yeah, the FFT retranslation is enough for it t count. It was amazing!

Del Murder
09-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Really anything with 'Tactics' in the name was great for PSP.

I can't think of any bad remakes.

Fynn
09-17-2015, 11:57 PM
I guess FFIV on the PSP was disappointing? But the The After Years kinda made up for it, and it was one pack anyway, so idk if it counts.

blackmage_nuke
09-23-2015, 04:40 AM
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD really brings back the nostalgia and looks amazing and better balanced, just wish they had multiplayer which was half the fun and remade all the maps instead of just some.

The Monkey Island remake was great except for the main character sprites which were hideous and their inability to replicate the midi transitions

Skyblade
09-23-2015, 05:55 AM
Chrono Trigger for the DS. New translation. Rebuilt layout for the DS, including a really handy map and bestiary. New bonus dungeon. New equipment. Everything except the multiplayer aspect was really, really solid.

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Not the type of DLC I care for, though I'm sad the Tuxedo is no longer a regular unlockable like previous installments. Honestly, I would prefer more licensed 80s tracks to rock out to.

Randy
09-24-2015, 01:23 PM
I think Ocarina of Time 3D is probably the best remake ever made.....or remade?

They followed the perfect formula that all remakes should:

1) Improve the visuals as much as technically possible.
2) Fix a few flaws and add some features if possible.
3) Alter nothing about the core game that made it the thing people want remade in the first place.

The RE1 remake is pretty great too.

Ayen
09-27-2015, 04:16 AM
Resident Evil Remake is the first one to come to mind at this question. Maybe even one of the few remakes out there to be better than the original game. Recaptures what makes the first one so great, while drastically improving everything else, and adding new content that doesn't feel out of place. HD furthers this regard by making it more accessible to people, and giving you the option to play without the tank controls. It's nearly impossible to go back to the 96 game after playing it.