PDA

View Full Version : The End of Konami

Skyblade
09-21-2015, 12:20 AM
http://videogamechoochoo.com/konami-ceases-all-aaa-production/

I think we all saw it coming. At least, from what I can tell, they ended on a high note with Phantom Pain.

FFNut
09-21-2015, 02:11 AM
I think we all saw this coming, it is to bad the way the company went as it brought us a lot of great games in the past.

Sephex
09-21-2015, 02:23 AM
I literally don't care because they stopped caring about video games. Have fun with your gambling BS. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Depression Moon
09-21-2015, 02:28 AM
Well damn, but given all the crazy stuff we heard about them recently like placing game designers as custodians and forcing Kojima to quit, it's apparent they've become disinterested in games. Looks like from now on all we'll be getting from this is mobile games and the occasional soccer game.

DMKA
09-22-2015, 03:23 AM
I can't wait for the inevitable Metal Gear Solid 6 pachinko machine.

Not because I have any interest in pachinko machines, but because the reactions the announcements of the Castlevania and Silent Hill machines spurred were priceless.

Vyk
09-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Yeah, after all the Jimquisition issues, and stuff covered by Super Bunnyhop, I think the world will be a better place without them, considering their current ideals

Ayen
09-26-2015, 07:39 AM
And nothing of value was lost.

Except the couple of things of value that were lost.

Wolf Kanno
09-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Del Toro just revealed Junji Ito was part of the cancelled Silent Hills project. Man, the more I learn about this game, the more sad I am that it never saw the light of day.

Colonel Angus
12-04-2015, 05:21 AM
http://comicbook.com/2015/12/04/metal-gear-creator-allegedly-barred-from-receiving-award-by-kona/

The dumbfuck shitheadedness continues.

Ayen
12-04-2015, 05:31 AM
I thought he was no longer employed with them and so they couldn't ban him from anything?

Either way that's a load of trout. THE GAME IS UNDER YOUR BANNER, IDIOTS!

Skyblade
12-04-2015, 05:40 AM
I thought he was no longer employed with them and so they couldn't ban him from anything?

Either way that's a load of trout. THE GAME IS UNDER YOUR BANNER, IDIOTS!

No, it's under the banner of Kojima Productions (which no longer exists). Konami wasn't directly mentioned anywhere in the entire award show.

But he is still working for them. He's just "on vacation, taking time away from games".

krissy
12-04-2015, 05:51 AM
im calling it now

this is a gigantic april fools joke and has been since the beginning
it makes no sense otherwise

DMKA
12-04-2015, 11:40 PM
im calling it now

this is a gigantic april fools joke and has been since the beginning
it makes no sense otherwise

Kojima would go down in history as the ultimate ruseman.

I mean if a company can really act like Konami and still function as a business, I suppose anything is possible.

Ayen
12-04-2015, 11:43 PM
If not I vote DMKA goes over there dressed as Batman and give Konami what for. Naturally, you'll have to become super rich, make a bunch of cool gadgets, and learn every fighting style known to man. Good luck.

Colonel Angus
12-05-2015, 04:52 AM
The only way Konami can save face is if seppuku comes back in fashion.

Or they make another great Castlevania game.

Depression Moon
12-05-2015, 05:00 AM
Yo did y'all watch the Game Awards? Konami still on that bull. They were classing playing Kojima a tribute song. Don't know when Konami will recover from the stuff they've been doing lately.

Aerith's Knight
12-05-2015, 10:03 AM
This is why I hate all those simple mobile games being so damn addicting and profitable. Because they are raking in so much cash that actual developers are thinking: "Why put in the effort? Why not just make a ton of BS games and hope one hits gold?"

Colonel Angus
12-16-2015, 04:34 AM
http://nerdist.com/kojima-officially-leaves-konami-in-talks-with-sony/

Ayen
12-16-2015, 05:03 AM
Sony is going to become an even bigger juggernaut than before.

krissy
12-16-2015, 05:08 AM
good-angry-cat.gif

Pete for President
12-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Konami did not allow Kojima to attend the Game Awards and pick up his award for best action game. If that's not shooting yourself in the foot I don't know what is.

Sephiroth
12-16-2015, 09:15 AM
I have never cared about him and also buyed stuff other people ranted about because they have nothing better to do but I still wish him the best.

Pumpkin
12-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Konami did not allow Kojima to attend the Game Awards and pick up his award for best action game. If that's not shooting yourself in the foot I don't know what is.

Why did they do that?

Fynn
12-16-2015, 04:59 PM

Why did they do that?

I think it's just because they are completely cuckoo

Mirage
12-16-2015, 05:43 PM

Why did they do that?

Probably because MGS5 is owned by Konami, and Kojima was no longer employed at Konami at the time the award was given out.

Pumpkin
12-16-2015, 05:45 PM
I see

Skyblade
12-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Why did they do that?

Probably because MGS5 is owned by Konami, and Kojima was no longer employed at Konami at the time the award was given out.

Incorrect, actually. Kojima was still employed by Konami at the time. That was, in fact, the only way they could prevent him from going.

Kojima and Konami had already been on the outs, however. This includes the removal of Kojima's name from everything related to Metal Gear Solid V in official advertisement, and the cancellation of Silent Hills. They have done everything they can to deny Kojima had any relation to Metal Gear Solid V, which is likely why they refused to let him attend.

Vyk
12-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Seems likely they were also bothered that their subordinate was more famous and had more sway in the industry than the whole of the rest of the company. That's the only justification I can think of that makes sense with how they've behaved with him the past couple years

Mirage
12-16-2015, 07:07 PM

Why did they do that?

Incorrect, actually. Kojima was still employed by Konami at the time. That was, in fact, the only way they could prevent him from going.

When did his employment end, then?

Skyblade
12-16-2015, 07:50 PM

Why did they do that?

According to the reports, literally yesterday.

Which makes this all the more interesting:
annuTcmB1rw

He's got an independent studio, and he's partnered with Sony for now.

Ayen
12-16-2015, 09:07 PM
-crosses fingers- Spiritual successor to P.T. Spiritual successor to P.T. Spiritual successor to P.T!

Slothy
12-16-2015, 10:54 PM
I hope he just makes Silent Hills but removes anything that could get them sued.

Vyk
12-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Could go team up with the Allison Road people since I don't imagine their game has any significant story or depth..

Mirage
12-17-2015, 02:34 AM

Why did they do that?

According to the reports, literally yesterday.

I know of the announcement from Sony, but that doesn't mean he left Konami yesterday. He could easily have been under a no-compete clause for a few months. That sort of thing is common

Vyk
12-17-2015, 03:42 AM
I saw the rumblings that he left Konami long before I saw the reports that Sony grabbed him up. Not that that's really worth anything

Ayen
12-17-2015, 03:48 AM
On the bright side, Kojima will finally, FINALLY, get to make something new. I enjoyed the Metal Gear games like anyone else, but I always felt bad that he was confined to them for so long when it was clear he wanted to pack it up a long time ago. I'm excited to see what new things he comes up with now.

Skyblade
12-17-2015, 03:52 AM
I saw the rumblings that he left Konami long before I saw the reports that Sony grabbed him up. Not that that's really worth anything

Yes, but Kojima and Konami both denied those rumors, stating that he was still an employee "taking time off work" after Metal Gear Solid V finished.

Pete for President
12-17-2015, 10:38 AM
On the bright side, Kojima will finally, FINALLY, get to make something new. I enjoyed the Metal Gear games like anyone else, but I always felt bad that he was confined to them for so long when it was clear he wanted to pack it up a long time ago. I'm excited to see what new things he comes up with now.

I too hope he will make something 100% new, and judging by that Sony clip it's looking exactly like that.

There's job offers in Japanese on his website. I wish I had an impressive resume in the videogame industry :p

Slothy
12-18-2015, 01:49 AM
The man's only wanted to get away from MGS for 14 years or so. Better late than never.

Sephex
12-18-2015, 03:43 AM
Bletal Beer Bolid 6TH incoming!

Vyk
12-18-2015, 03:48 AM

Yes, but Kojima and Konami both denied those rumors, stating that he was still an employee "taking time off work" after Metal Gear Solid V finished.
I actually meant the day it broke that he had fled Konami, not the month old rumors and such. But that's okay, it doesn't really matter if he left straight to Sony, or Sony grabbed him up on a bid that was going on in the background after he left that we probably aren't aware of. I'm not following the story very closely. I'm just glad it's happened, and Konami really doesn't have much of a leg left to stand on. Here's hoping their pachinko gamble works out. Or not. Whichever

Ayen
12-18-2015, 03:57 AM
I hope Konami crash and burn, to be honest.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWcR3Z9XAAQU_ex.jpg:large

Yes, I definitely hope they crash and burn.

Pete for President
12-18-2015, 09:06 AM

So... they're gonna try make a Metal Gear without Kojima? That is just shameful.

Mirage
12-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Specifically stating what kind of game they're hiring for. That's obviously just throwing a jab at Kojima. Shameless, Konami, but that's just what everyone has come to expect from you.

Vyk
12-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Konami is Konami, and Konami is the worst. Thank God for Jim Sterling

Or something to that effect

Skyblade
12-19-2015, 05:35 AM

So... they're gonna try make a Metal Gear without Kojima? That is just shameful.

Well, yeah. You didn't think Metal Gear Pachinko was going to go unmade, did you?

Ayen
12-19-2015, 05:58 AM
Much as I like a good Pachinko joke as the next guy:

Konami Still Committed to AAA Gaming and Metal Gear Solid (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/konami-still-committed-to-aaa-gaming-and-metal-gea/1100-6430947/)

It reeks of bulltrout, but still.

Skyblade
12-19-2015, 06:00 AM

Konami Still Committed to AAA Gaming and Metal Gear Solid (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/konami-still-committed-to-aaa-gaming-and-metal-gea/1100-6430947/)

They can't honestly expect to even come close to recouping the cost of such a game, though, can they?

Oh well. It'll be interesting to see the first AAA game perhaps every to get straight Zeroes from every major Western review site.

Pete for President
12-19-2015, 05:21 PM

They can't honestly expect to even come close to recouping the cost of such a game, though, can they?

Oh well. It'll be interesting to see the first AAA game perhaps every to get straight Zeroes from every major Western review site.

They got themselves covered in a scumbag way. A Dutch journalist source did an item on review embargo's and what developers/publishers try to do with them and Konami played a big role in it. Here's the breakdown:

- Konami sent an agreement proposal to all major media
- In it it promises early review embargo's and review copies to those who agree to the agreement, as well as "sponsorship" (money, goodies, could be anything).
- The catch is Konami is allowed to sue any who have agreed and then publish a (negative) review or criticise the game in a way that would hurt sales.
- Those who have agreed will get their early reviews, and they will be positive or they can face lawsuits.
- Those who do not agree to this agreement (and thus doing the right thing) do not get early (and free) review copies, nor the early review embargo, and therefor not the clicks to their website when the game launches.