PDA

View Full Version : Chocobos and Fishing Comes to Final Fantasy XV

Depression Moon
09-21-2015, 02:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zqxNNkSPa0&feature=youtu.be

On September 18th at the Tokyo Game Show Square Enix released footage of new gameplay elements to Final Fantasy XV. The last time we took a look at navigating the car and this time we take a look at chocobos and a fishing mini game to boot!

The chocobos look to provide easier travel on road-less terrain at the cost of slower movement. By any means that doesn't mean they move slugglishly. They are certainly faster than traveling on foot and can jump and hover which could be useful for jumping over small obstacles. We also get a glimpse of what looks like Mesmerize, which first appeared in Final Fantasy VIII, when Noctis and crew scout the area.

Their excursion leads them to a pond where the player engages in a fishing mini game reminiscent of the one in The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. You can cast the lure and reel in the line as you wait for a fish to take the bait. Once a fish latches on, you use the left analog stick to pull the fish towards you. Once caught it can be eaten as a meal that temporarily increases the stats of the party. There is no information if fish provide any other use.

Overall, these two new additions look very enjoyable. If there are other chocobo colors to be found with abilities of their own, the fun to be had just roaming the world could be phenomenal.

FFNut
09-21-2015, 03:07 AM
This trailer made me think hunting may be a thing too

maybee
09-21-2015, 04:57 AM
Not to sound rude, but if I wanted to go fishing I would just go bloody outside and do the thing ? It just seems so pointless.

fat_moogle
09-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Not to sound rude, but if I wanted to go fishing I would just go bloody outside and do the thing ? It just seems so pointless.
But you can't use real life fish for in game meals!

Night Fury
09-21-2015, 11:19 AM
^

Yep fishing is really handy for crafting.

I actually love little mini things like this in games that you can just lose hours too! hehe! Nice move SE! (probably the one thing that has pleasantly surprised me about the game so far!)

Shaibana
09-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Lol, i imediatly recognize a voice at 0:45 and googled it.. Its Natsu from Fairy tail! :D

Noctis Caelum
09-22-2015, 10:08 PM
It's still an activity that you don't even have to partake in, just like real life. And there are TONS of games that have activities they can do in real life that they'll still do in video games. It's not you being rude, you just lack perception.

fat_moogle
09-22-2015, 10:36 PM
It's still an activity that you don't even have to partake in, just like real life. And there are TONS of games that have activities they can do in real life that they'll still do in video games. It's not you being rude, you just lack perception.
Exactly this. I doubt I'll bother with the fishing much myself unless it pops up as a necessity for a quest or something, but I'm not against the fact that an optional side activity has been added to the game. I mean it doesn't take away from the game itself so I don't see the problem.

Del Murder
09-23-2015, 12:37 AM
I'm so glad we finally have the opportunity to stare at a chocobo's butt while running through mud. That's dirty on so many levels.

Fishing is fun though, and I hope there's more rewards than the cooking at campsites feature that I didn't really get a lot out of in the demo.

Depression Moon
09-23-2015, 02:28 AM
The chocobos do look to control very smoothly. I haven't seen enough of the car to judge, but from this gameplay I would rather use them than drive. They also look like they'd handle well enough for a good chocobo racing mini game this time. VII's did control kind of poorly.

maybee
09-23-2015, 04:57 AM
Exactly this. I doubt I'll bother with the fishing much myself unless it pops up as a necessity for a quest or something, but I'm not against the fact that an optional side activity has been added to the game. I mean it doesn't take away from the game itself so I don't see the problem.

It just that Final Fantasy went to fun mini-games like a whole entire theme park, to fantasy themed underwater football to..... fishing.

It just doesn't really put the Fantasy in Final Fantasy. It's not everyday you can go to a theme park, or breathe long enough underwater to play a game in a pool. So they feel like a rare and special experience with a element of fantasy in them. Fishing is just well, just that.

Fynn
09-23-2015, 06:00 AM
Really, fishing is pretty ubiquitous in Japanese games, in-series there was FFXII, then in other JRPGs there was the whole Breath of Fire series and Persona 4, and the Legend of Zelda series also had fishing in a lot of its entries, and I'm sure there's tons more. I'm starting to think that, since Japan's cuisine mostly consists of seafood, they are just much more into fishing than we are, hence having it in games is kind of more relatable to them.

maybee
09-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Really, fishing is pretty ubiquitous in Japanese games, in-series there was FFXII, then in other JRPGs there was the whole Breath of Fire series and Persona 4, and the Legend of Zelda series also had fishing in a lot of its entries, and I'm sure there's tons more. I'm starting to think that, since Japan's cuisine mostly consists of seafood, they are just much more into fishing than we are, hence having it in games is kind of more relatable to them.

Okay, that makes alot sense. Thankyou Fynn. I also remembered that there's fishing in Animal Crossing too.

Psychotic
09-24-2015, 09:48 AM
But can I marry a fish?

fat_moogle
09-24-2015, 11:13 AM
But can I marry a fish?
Don't tell me you want to wed a mothersmurfing trout? xD

Psychotic
09-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm not saying it's my #1 aim of this game but I can envisage a number of scenarios where Noctis having a marriage with a fish would be advantageous, yes. At the very least having the option available would be nice.

I would also like to put on record that my preferred fish bride would be a cod and not a trout, and I would fully expect it to have saved itself for marriage so a mothersmurfing fish of any kind would be a dealbreaker.

maybee
09-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Somebody should fanart a picture of Noctis wedding a fish :jess:

Noctis Caelum
09-28-2015, 12:54 AM
Watch us be required to catch and cook every single species of fish (perhaps also every possible kind of food) in the game in order to get Ignis' ultima weapon. Which will be a majestic spatula.

Yes, fishing is mandatory, mofos.