PDA

View Full Version : Can you play FFIX without the Internet?

Vajrajina
09-22-2015, 02:36 PM
I played 7,8 and 10 and while getting through the storyline isn't that hard without a guide, beating superbosses and finding secrets seem to be impossible without one. Someone on YouTube said that IX is full of missables,and as a completionist I would hate to miss anything cheesy.

Not to mention that I want to beat the giant swirly rainbow coloured ball of impending death, simply because it is supposed to be THE ultimate boss, and that isn't a challenge I can decline.

Can you, or can you not?

Mirage
09-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Yes, you can play FFIX without the internet, much like every other PS1 game.

As a piece of unrelated trivia, I can also tell you that you can't play FFXI without internet.

You cannot really be a completionist with FFXI, as it will literally consume all your spare time for years to come.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-22-2015, 04:43 PM
I believe Vajrajina is referring to the old PlayOnline database that FFIX's guide used to be tied to, for some incomprehensible reason. The ones that were shut down after only a couple years to make way for FFXI. My brother found archives of them, but I'm not sure what the link to them is...

Fynn
09-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Well, of course you're going to need the Internet if you want to get every single thing.

Depression Moon
09-23-2015, 02:32 AM
You can find most of the secrets on your own in this game without needing to consult a game online. If you're trying to get everything on your first playthrough then yes I suggest looking online because there a few missable items in discs 2 and 3. One involves going back to Dali when you get to Treno the first time and the other I think is the Mocha coffee near South Gate. There may also be an auction item you can get during only one point in the game.

Vajrajina
09-23-2015, 02:48 AM
I realised a while after posting the thread that the title is very misleading. I wanted to change it, but I couldn't do it from my phone. I should have used 'guide' instead of the internet, but instead of guides I just use 'the internet' in general.

The reason why I'm asking is because none of the superbosses in the games I played so far are beatable without a guide. Even after reading the guide I still don't fully understand the procedure of the FFX statmaxing, FF7 had way too many secrets I never figured out despite playing the game a lot without a guide, up to this day I still haven't beat Emerald or Ruby weapon.

I'm not sure what FFIX is like, but if there is a part where 'you need to get x or y missable item, or else you won't be able to beat Ozma' then I obviously don't want to miss that.

Also, the way you get uber stats in FF in general is usually quite obscure to say the least. So yeah, that's why I was thinking you might need a guide.

maybee
09-23-2015, 04:50 AM
Yea- * remembers Chocobo Hot and Cold *-

No.

:cry:

FFIX Choco Boy
09-23-2015, 06:09 AM
The only things you'd really need a guide for are the things DM mentioned, the Nero sidequest (which is completely superfluous anyways), Excalibur II (which is insane to get even for people who know how to get it), S rank Tetra Master (also superfluous), and maybe the location of the Ocean chocograph.

Mirage
09-23-2015, 07:10 AM
i heard it isn't all that much trouble to get excal 2

FFIX Choco Boy
09-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Well, I mean, sure, if you want to skip the amazing story and 12 hours of Chocobo Hot and Cold. But who wants to do that?

Mirage
09-23-2015, 10:26 AM
The story will still be there, and you can backtrack to do chocohotandcold later can't you?

Vajrajina
09-24-2015, 02:17 PM
So if I wanted to kill Ozma without a guide...
Is that doable?

Or rather, have you done it yourself?

Mirage
09-24-2015, 08:25 PM
The first person to kill ozma probably did it without a guide.

You might need multiple playthroughs to figure out what to do, but I don't see why it would be impossible.

Rantz
09-24-2015, 09:24 PM
If you want to go all in and max stats, insofar as that's possible in FFIX, you'll definitely need a guide since you need to be in it from the beginning. Stat maxing in IX is pretty much a big pain in the ass though and not really worth it.

Vajrajina
09-25-2015, 12:35 AM
If you want to go all in and max stats, insofar as that's possible in FFIX, you'll definitely need a guide since you need to be in it from the beginning. Stat maxing in IX is pretty much a big pain in the ass though and not really worth it.

Well, the question is, how much do I need to max my stats out to kick the ass of Ozma?

If it's as, or more complicated than the procedure of FFX, I won't even try.

If it's closer to FFVIII I'll probably give it a go.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-25-2015, 12:46 AM
I've never beat Ozma because I don't really care that much about beating it. I've heard Ozma can be relatively easy or hard to beat just because of random factors in the battle that you can't really prepare for. So the battle could be a pain even with a guide, or you could be lucky and just win first try. I can't remember for sure if that's the boss I'm thinking of though. VIII and X-2 were the only games I really messed with super bosses.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Honestly, other than MP and HP, stats don't really matter in FFIX. You could have 20 STR vs 32 STR on a character and cause rather similar damage on same-stat weapons. So, Ozma is really stat-independent. And it REALLY is RNG more than anything else in that fight. You could just go into the fight with 0 abilities equipped and melee him to death, or you could go in with a perfectly optimal setup and get creamed in 2 rounds. (2 because Auto-Life)

DMKA
09-28-2015, 05:00 AM
You can, easily, but like with basically every FF game aside of XIII, no way are you going to get all the secret stuff without a guide.

Galuf
09-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Idk bout very sidequest. But its definatly possible to get to ozma without a guide. Even dumb me did it.

theundeadhero
10-03-2015, 02:51 AM
Killing Ozma isn't about getting secret super gear and over-powering the thing. You don't even have to be anywhere near max level. It's about having the right abilities equipped, which can be learned by fighting him once or twice, and luck. Nothing in this game needs a guide, but some things that make it easier would be difficult to find without one.