PDA

View Full Version : Steam recommendations

DK
09-25-2015, 10:50 AM
So I have recently purchased a new laptop. It's not a good laptop, but it's better than my old one. Had no issues running Mafia 2, New Vegas, FM2015 or Sims 3 on it. So this kind of stuff is around the ballpark I'm looking for as far as requirements go.

So yeah, anyone got any sweet games to recommend that I can get on steam? Will say right off the bat that I'm not really interested in any indy darling games. Want some actual games I can sink my teeth into.Not too fussed about genre either.

Vyk
09-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Divinity: Original Sin

Shadowrun: Dragonfall

XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced

Pillars of Eternity

I'm not big on AAA games on my gaming laptop, but Bioshock: Infinite, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, and all that jazz should run pretty well for it

It probably goes without saying that Skyrim, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 are probably decent choices

I mostly play RPGs, strategy RPGs, and indie games. So on the whole, I'm probably not a lot of help

Madame Adequate
09-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Darkest Hour
Europa Universalis 4
Crusader Kings 2
Victoria 2
Titan Quest + Immortal Throne
Grim Dawn
Bastion
Bulletstorm
Deus Ex series
Dishonored
Distant Worlds Universe (lol not unless it's on sale or you are minted)
Morrowind
Skyrim
Dragonball Xenoverse
Dynasty Warriors 8 XTREEEEEEM LEgends
Endless Legend
Frozen Synapse
Guacamelee
Gunpoint
Hotline Miami 1 + 2
Kerbal Space Program
Legend of Grimrock 1/2
State of Decay
The Legend of Heroes: TITS
Metal Gear Rising: RULES OF NATURE Revengeance
Mount and Blade: Warband
Risk of Rain
Road Redemption
Cities: Skylines
Sleeping Dogs
Space Engineers
Warhams 40k: Dawn of War (any/all expacs too except Soulstorm maybe)
X-Com: UFO Defense/TFTD/Apocalypse
XCOM Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within

shitloads more too but those are some of my favorites that I own

ps: prioritize bulletstorm because the swearing therein is the greatest work of art since the sistine chapel

Spuuky
09-25-2015, 06:19 PM

Shadowrun: Dragonfall

XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced

Pillars of Eternity

I'm not big on AAA games on my gaming laptop, but Bioshock: Infinite, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, and all that jazz should run pretty well for it

It probably goes without saying that Skyrim, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 are probably decent choices

I mostly play RPGs, strategy RPGs, and indie games. So on the whole, I'm probably not a lot of helpThis guy knows what's up. Some of the best games on Steam if you really insist on discounting "small" games:

Dark Souls
Deus Ex
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout: New Vegas
King's Bounty: The Legend
Saints Row 2 or 3 or 4 depending on what you want
Valkyria Chronicles
XCOM

But really, you'd be missing a lot by automatically ruling out "indie darlings" because a lot of them aren't what you think they are, if you think you can "sink your teeth into" AAA games but not indies. Some great ones are things like Artifact Adventure or Ys: Origin (not really "indie" but you know, small).

Pheesh
09-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Borderlands 2 is quality. Great humour, massive improvement over the original, and is a major time-sink.

They can be a little buggy but I couldn't recommend the 2 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games enough. If you're a fan of the Star Wars universe they're a must play, and if you're not then they're still awesome if you like Bioware style RPG's.

The Mass Effect trilogy.

I don't know if this counts as indie but if you're looking for a game to sink your teeth into you should check out Don't Starve. You can easily lose hours upon hours playing this game and the re-playability is top notch.

Bioshock: Infinite. I just smurfing love that game. It's actually been too long since I played it, I'm definitely due for another run through.

Colonel Angus
09-26-2015, 03:16 AM
Final Fantasy [fill-in the blank]

escobert
09-26-2015, 04:48 AM
DayZ, ARK or Rust are all you will need.

Vermachtnis
09-26-2015, 06:47 AM
Fortune Summoners! It's such a great game. It's the right amount of difficult too, in that every death is your fault. And you actually feel progress every time you level up.

Ayen
09-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Do you consider what Telltale does actual games? Because Game of Thrones is pretty good if you can get behind point and clicks.

krissy
09-26-2015, 05:55 PM
mirrors edge

Mirage
09-27-2015, 02:19 AM
Cities: Skylines, if you're into city builders. Civilization 4, 5, Beyond Earth.

Pike
09-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Yeah definitely Civ IV and the expansions. Also Crusader Kings 2 for kinky incest action.