PDA

View Full Version : Who would win in a fight: Gandalf or Dumbledore?

Pike
11-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Old bearded wizard showdown.

Laddy
11-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White? Jesus Pike, I need to know these things! :colbert:

Gandalf can handle himself in a melle battle but we don't have a good enough indicator of his actual powers to determine his abilities. There's a reason EoFF Character Tournaments circa 2008 had a Gandalf Rule.

For me it's Dumbledore. We know what spells he has and a lot of them are combat-oriented whereas with Gandalf I don't see much of an indicator in the novels or films as to what he is actually capable of.

Mr. Carnelian
11-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Gandalf!

He came back from the dead. Did Dumbledore? No.

Gandalf is an absolute boss. He singlehandedly defated a massive, ancient demon of fire and darkness. The most Dumbledore managed is singeing some goblin things (when he and Harry went to get that horcrux but it had been replaced).

Ayen
11-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Dumbledore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMoQHpvFQQ

escobert
11-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Gandalf.

Colonel Angus
11-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Gandalf

Psychotic
11-16-2015, 07:54 PM
They'd probably just make out instead, beards entwining as wand brushes up against staff.

Forsaken Lover
11-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Tie their beards together so they have to fight to the death.

Jinx
11-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Both are great wizards, but anyone who says Dumbledore is objectively wrong.

Mr. Carnelian
11-16-2015, 08:36 PM
They'd probably just make out instead, beards entwining as wand brushes up against staff.

Someone should totally write that fan-fiction. Assuming they haven't already. :p

Bri
11-16-2015, 08:48 PM
G to the A to the N dalf..

Omni-Odin
11-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Gandalf. Dude has more lives than a cat. Plus anything Dumbledore threw at him simply would not pass. Then Gandalf may cut his head off or something. Seen it happen.

Jinx
11-16-2015, 10:30 PM
I mean, Gandalf is actually a demi-god.

blackmage_nuke
11-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Gandalf barely displayed any powers, but Dumbledore probably wasn't in peak fighting condition by the time the books started and Gandalf seems to have a lot more energy so if were basing this as generally throughout scope of the story Gandalf might have a chance if there's some hidden power he has not fully displayed, but I think if Gandalf at any time were to fight Dumbledore after he fought Grindewald and before Voldemort, Dumbledore would win.

It also depends if this is a fight to the death because I don't think Dumbledore would be willing to kill Gandalf, I cant see him murdering just for the sake of a fight since he prefers non-lethal methods unless his opponent is unquestionably going to murder a lot of people, whereas I can see Gandalf not blinking an eye and snuffing out Dumbledore.

Mr. Carnelian
11-17-2015, 12:47 AM
Gandalf barely displayed any powers.

Are you trouting kidding me? How do you think he defeated the Balrog, by politely asking it to die? Or how about breaking Saruman's curse on Theoden and giving him back the years which had been taken from him? Or when he drove away the Nazgul, this saving Faramir's life? Or when he came back from the trouting dead? OF COURSE HE HAS POWERS!

Formalhaut
11-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Gandalf barely displayed any powers.

Are you trouting kidding me? How do you think he defeated the Balrog, by politely asking it to die? Or how about breaking Saruman's curse on Theoden and giving him back the years which had been taken from him? Or when he drove away the Nazgul, this saving Faramir's life? Or when he came back from the trouting dead? OF COURSE HE HAS POWERS!

Also, he's bitching with a sword as well in combat.

Rocket Edge
11-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Technically he defeated the Balrog with a sword, or at least he did in the films (I haven't read the books). I went with Dumbledore for similar reasons as nuke. Gandalf is cooler though.

Jiro
11-17-2015, 02:42 AM
Dumbledore, throughout the time period covered by the books, largely accomplishes his tasks and victories by crazy gambits and manipulating other talented people around him. Gandalf also does this occasionally but in a stand up wizard duel I think the staff beats the wand.

escobert
11-17-2015, 04:58 AM
I think all you Dumbledore lovers forget that Gandalf ain't not old man who happens to know some magic - "The Five Wizards, initially named the Istari, were five Maiar spirits in human form sent to aid the Free Peoples of Middle-earth against the threat of Sauron."

Del Murder
11-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Yeah, Dumbledore is a powerful wizard, but he's still only a man. Gandalf is a demi-god.

Bubba
11-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Lets put it this way. Being able to return from the dead would be a useful skill for Gandalf to have if he decided to go up against Dumbledore.

EDIT: Though Dumbledore probably wouldn't kill Gandalf. He would overpower him then teach him a valuable lesson about life.

DMKA
11-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Gandalf took on Dragons, hoards of Orcs, walking trees, a dragon, and an undead army. When he did die, he came back and kept on surviving.

Dumbledore was taken out single-handedly by a second banana who taught middle school for a living.

Bubba
11-17-2015, 11:57 PM
Gandalf took on Dragons...

No he didn't. He watched Bard kill ONE dragon.

hoards of orcs...

Along with the rest of the Fellowship and was actually involved in very little combat.

walking trees...

Erm... they were friends. No combat.

a dragon...

See above.

an undead army...

Again, no. That was Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli

Dumbledore was taken out single-handedly by a second banana who taught middle school for a living.

Which was pre-planned.

Perfect post, DMKA. Supports the exact opposite of the point you were trying to make.

NorthernChaosGod
11-19-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm positive that Gandalf wasn't even allowed to use the full extent of his power while in Middle-Earth. Anyone that voted for Dumbledore clearly doesn't know enough about Tolkien's works.

CimminyCricket
11-19-2015, 10:01 PM
Tie their beards together so they have to fight to the death.

I second the mexican wizard knife fight.

Skyblade
11-20-2015, 03:12 AM
Is this seriously a discussion?

Gandalf. Hands down, no questions asked. Gandalf.

I'm sorry, but the "he doesn't do much fighting" argument is nonsense. If you don't think he did enough in the movies, read the books. Before Frodo and company reached Weathertop, Gandalf took on the Nine in combat, ALL NIGHT LONG (during the height of their power), before leaving to Rivendell. His power kept the Witch King out of Minas Tirith. The Witch King. The guy who destroyed the entire kingdom of Arnor and the Dunedain. And Gandalf just went "nope".

Gandalf has power that dwarfs that of Dumbledore. He doesn't like to use it in combat, but it is there. He's also, frankly, smarter than Dumbledore.

"Wisest of the maia was Olorin (gandalf). He too dwelt in Lorien, but his ways often took him to the house of Neinna and from her he learnt patience and pity"
-The Silmarillion-

If it came down to a fight, Dumbledore would not stand a chance. He's a man, facing a demigod who has stood up to and defeated things that take down kingdoms.

Bubba
11-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Haha, I love how serious this discussion has become :lol:

If we are being realistic though, they both fight for good. I could never envisage a time when they would need to fight each other. OOH WAIT... can...can you imagine if they were like a WWF tag team?

Legion of Doom vs Gandledore

They would destroy all comers!

Ayen
11-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Haha, I love how serious this discussion has become :lol:

If we are being realistic though, they both fight for good. I could never envisage a time when they would need to fight each other. OOH WAIT... can...can you imagine if they were like a WWF tag team?

Legion of Doom vs Gandledore

They would destroy all comers!

New Tag Team Champs!