PDA

View Full Version : A Franchise's Magnum Opus and Parvum Opus.

Wolf Kanno
09-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Of all the game series and franchises you've played, which entry do you consider to be the series Magnum Opus and which is the Parvum Opus?

Colonel Angus
09-27-2015, 06:14 PM

JK

For FF, the Magnum Opus has to be FFXII (maybe XIV if you consider the mmorpgs).

The Parvum Opus would be Mystic Quest or the first one.

Ayen
09-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Resident Evil Magnum Opus would be the Resident Evil Remake. Parvum Opus would be Survivor.

Yes, I consider Survivor worse than... those other games.

Fynn
09-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Is it just me or does Parvum Opus doesn't mean the worst or weakest, and more like the most modest or something?

Colonel Angus
09-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Is it just me or does Parvum Opus doesn't mean the worst or weakest, and more like the most modest or something?
I don't think it's equivalent to "bad", but it does imply a "lesser" or smaller scale work.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-28-2015, 01:56 AM
FFXIII-2 is the Magnum Opus of Final Fantasy. But there isn't really a Parvum Opus... Though, I'm sure if they had made a number VIII, it would be that one.

I don't really play any other large series of games, though, so I can't give any more. Maybe with Blizzard games...

Wrath of the Lich King was Blizzard's MO, and Starcraft II was the PO for me.

Fynn
09-28-2015, 06:01 AM
I kind of think FFVII is the Magnum Opus of FF. Not because it's the best or anything, but it remains by far the most popular and for many it's the first title that comes to mind when they hear the name of the series. I'd call III the Parvum Opus because it has a huge cult following, but from the mainstream FF fan perspective, and an even larger perspective, it's probably the most overlooked title (not helping matters is the fact that its name was originally taken by a far more popular installment).

(Also, I wanna know what Choco Boy is smoking :p)

Anyway, another huge series that comes to mind is, of course, MegaTen. From the main series, I think Nocturne might be the Magnum Opus, because even if IV refined many of the main series' elements, Nocturne is still what many people consider the best and most fulfilling one, being the only fully 3D one and being the darkest. Strange Journey is the Parvum Opus as it really seems to be the most forgotten and the least revolutionary, despite being my favorite main title.

Either Persona 3 or 4 are the Magnum Opus of that series. Heck, Id collectively call both that, as one really made the series alive again (and Atlus relevant), while the other is one of the biggest critical darlings I've seen. Persona 1 is obviously the Parvum.

The Sims 3 is most definitely the Magnum Opus in that series, especially with the Sims 4 not being the step forward that was expected, instead being kinda a step sideways, if that makes sense. The Sims 1 is the Parvum Opus - for all the fun we had playing it when it came out, it's most certainly the least robust. But until that happened, it was certainly Maxis' Magnum Opus, which is interesting.

Pokemon X and Y are the Magnum Opus of Pokemon, bringing many fans back and making the largest amount of Pokemon available. Black and White are the P.O. - despite being overall superior to XY, IMO, with their story and being just different from the rest of the series, seems to be the one most overlooked, with gen1 having that nostalgic edge, gen2 being considered the best by many, gen3 having a modern remake and people wanting a gen4 remake now. No one seems to remember the enhancements gen5 introduced that allowed XY to be what they are.

That's all the series I can think of now. I'll probably come back with some more later.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Tekken 3 MO

Tekken 4 PO

Mirage
09-28-2015, 05:50 PM
i think this thread exist only for WK to tell everyone about this new term he just learned

MGS3 for magnum opus, 4 for whatever other opus

Fynn
09-28-2015, 05:57 PM
i think this thread exist only for WK to tell everyone about this new term he just learned

MGS3 for magnum opus, 4 for whatever other opus

Just because you didn't know it doesn't mean others didn't. I did :smug: And I learned it while painting those walls you always tell me to paint, even! See? You learn something new on every corner :D

Mirage
09-28-2015, 05:59 PM
yeah well that explains why you did such a terrible job. i'm not paying you to multitask!

Fynn
09-28-2015, 05:59 PM
I even know that the proper plurals are Opera Magna and Opera Parva. Ha! Humanities!

Ayen
09-28-2015, 06:06 PM
FFXIII-2 is the Magnum Opus of Final Fantasy. But there isn't really a Parvum Opus... Though, I'm sure if they had made a number VIII, it would be that one.

So, you claim to be a FFIX fan, and yet you name XIII-2 your Magnum Opus? You're not a real Choco Boy. Look!

-tears off picture- This avatar comes right off!

FFIX Choco Boy
09-28-2015, 11:16 PM

So, you claim to be a FFIX fan, and yet you name XIII-2 your Magnum Opus? You're not a real Choco Boy. Look!

-tears off picture- This avatar comes right off!

To be fair, this is a legacy account. I made this 2 months after XII came out, back when I believed there was no greater gift to gamerkind than FFIX. While still great, I now consider FFIX to be #5 on The List (TM).

Randy
09-29-2015, 11:57 PM
Throwing the word "Parvum" around as if people know what it means! Pffft.

The best is FF9
The worst is FF2

Fynn
09-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Throwing the word "Parvum" around as if people know what it means! Pffft.

The best is FF9
The worst is FF2

We already discussed that this doesn't mean best and worst.

Also, you're wrong.