PDA

View Full Version : Save corrupted, anyone have a save file around first Ultros fight?

protopulse
09-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Well, I done goofed. Apparently when you load savestates on VBA-M, it corrupts your save files permanently. You can never save again and have to rely on savestates for the rest of the game.

Through trial and error, I found that I can avoid this issue altogether by using Mednafen instead. The only problem is there is no way I can convert the .sgm files (savestate files on VBA-M) to .mc* files (savestate files on Mednafen). The only way is to use a .sav file, which both emulators can read. Problem is, I don't have a .sav file since it corrupted.

So, does anyone have a save around the first Ultros fight on Lethe river? I've actually finished Terra/Edgar's scenario and am midway on Sabin's, but any save file around that point would be much appreciated.

I'm going for a perfect game even though it's my first playthrough, and IIRC, the only missable item up to that point is the Gauntlet if you went for the Genji Gloves at Returner's Base, the treasure chests if you picked those up before they transform later in the story, and some bestiary entries. So if you have a save file earlier than Returner's Base, that's fine too. I just don't want to redo those 10 hours again. ^^;

If someone is technically inclined and think they can edit my .sgm file as to undo my save file corruption, that'd be another way out of this mess. I read somewhere that it might have to do with checksums? I'm really not sure. But if you can undo the corruption, I can create a save file and transfer it to Mednafen myself. I've attached my savestate file to this post. I was using VBA-M 2.0.0 beta and European version of FFVI Advance with color and music restoration patches, both of which can be found on fantasyanime, if that helps.

Many thanks. 65634

protopulse
09-28-2015, 11:28 PM
On second thought, I wasn't that far in, and it'd take me way less than 10 hours to get as far as I did the second time around. I'll just do a pseudo-speedrun and get back to where I was. If anyone needs a save file around that point, lemme know. Oh, and be careful which version of VBA-M you run, some of them are unstable...to say the least.