PDA

View Full Version : Which Harry Potter book...

Colonel Angus
11-30-2015, 05:03 PM
...would you pick, if you were only allowed to read ONE.

Freya
11-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Goblet is by far my favorite!

Ayen
11-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Order of the Phoenix is my favorite. I could seldom put it down once I started reading.

I Took the Red Pill
11-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Azkaban.

escobert
11-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Hmm this is tough. Either Goblet of Fire or Deathly Hallows. Both were great books. Since Freya already voted for Goblet I'll go with the Hallows.

Mr. Carnelian
11-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Azkaban. I found all the books after that far too dull, personally.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan, really. Never have been.

Fynn
11-30-2015, 08:30 PM
They're all fantastic, but Azkaban takes the cake. Order of the Phoenix was the weakest, imho.

Ayen
11-30-2015, 08:33 PM
They're all fantastic, but Azkaban takes the cake. Order of the Phoenix was the weakest, imho.

Order of the Phoenix will never hold that title as long as Half Blood Prince exist.

Fynn
11-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Half-blood prince was a blast.

Ayen
11-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Only legitimate good moment of the whole book was when Snape made Harry his bitch.

Fynn
11-30-2015, 09:27 PM
To each their own :gator: I loved every page. Them Slughorn parties.

Freya
11-30-2015, 09:41 PM
See I wasn't a fan of Azkaban. When I originally read it after Chamber I was kind of like "uhhh what's the point of this book, voldemort isn't even in it." I mean I understand NOW but when I was younger I wasn't a fan and I still like the others better haha

Ayen
11-30-2015, 10:09 PM
I can still remember the members of an old HP site I was on troutting all over HBP when it first came out. It flat out killed the admin's HP hype. Those were dark times indeed. Only time I ever had to force myself to finish a Harry Potter novel. And the movie adaption was even worse!

maybee
11-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Azkaban. I'm Lupin and Sirius Black trash.

I hated Order of the Phoenix. Just, despised it. It never happened. It was all just a nightmare Harry had. People are too polite to tell Harry that was just a nightmare. / in denial about Sirius's death.

Ayen
11-30-2015, 10:17 PM
The worse part about that is Sirius gave Harry a means to contact him any time he wanted, and he only thought to use it AFTER his untimely death. Don't bother to use it to confirm whether or not what you're seeing is real before you go riding off to the Ministry or anything. Only part of the book I remember being irked about.

maybee
11-30-2015, 10:24 PM
The worse part about that is Sirius gave Harry a means to contact him any time he wanted, and he only thought to use it AFTER his untimely death. Don't bother to use it to confirm whether or not what you're seeing is real before you go riding off to the Ministry or anything. Only part of the book I remember being irked about.

This so much. The character only died so there would be a end-of-book tragedy that's bigger than Goblet's, and to give the book some depth, and to maybe signal to readers that nobody is safe anymore, any character now can die. Sirius is more than that and could've easily survived to have his freedom and be a father figure to help Harry after Voldy's death. Urgh * angry face *

Fynn
11-30-2015, 10:26 PM
On the topic of HBP - I really loved it, I think I finished it in two days or so. I just really loved the mood whiplash. On one hand you have horny teenagers doing horny teenager things, and then you have Voldemort's past and basically the darkest things in the book up until that point. It was a wild ride.

Jinx
11-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Half-Blood Prince is by far my favorite. It's not even a contest for me.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I've just decided to give these books another read through. It's pretty rare when I actually read through books multiple times despite thinking about reading some of my favorites fairly often. I'm already really excited as I've begun to read Sorcerer's Stone, and it is still a really fun read. It's been a long time since I've read the books, so it will be interesting to see how my opinion might change in this read through.

I'm not entirely sure which book would be my favorite to read over and over since I've read 1-4 twice and the rest only once. Sorcerer's Stone really captured my imagination and I think helped shape my joy of writing. I remember not really liking the character of Professor Quirrell, but I was immersed in the world and overall story that it didn't bother me too much. Chamber of Secrets disappointed me for some reason. I still enjoyed it, but something felt off throughout if I remember right. Prisoner of Azkaban was much better though, and it edged out the first by a bit for me. Goblet of Fire was the first I was really obsessed with though. I couldn't put that book down and there wasn't anything that I didn't enjoy about it. It stayed as my number 1 favorite book for a while. Order of the Phoenix had some of my favorite moments in the series if I remembered right, but overall I didn't enjoy that book. I remember it being kind of boring, too. I think I appreciate it more now that when I first read it, so I'm interested to see my thoughts when I get to that book. Half Blood Prince had my attention all throughout, and it immediately jumped ahead of Goblet of Fire. I think it is the most fun and most interesting to read of all of the books. Deathly Hallows had me hooked all the way to the end too, but that was just because I was excited to get to the conclusion of the story. It wasn't near as good as HBP to me.

So, at this moment I think I HBP would be the one I could read continuously if I could only read one Harry Potter book. Order of the Phoenix and Chamber of Secrets would be down at the bottom though.

Bubba
12-05-2015, 01:54 AM
Hmm this is tough. Either Goblet of Fire or Deathly Hallows. Both were great books. Since Freya already voted for Goblet I'll go with the Hallows.

Yeah, these would be my two choices too. Goblet of Fire had so many good parts but the gaping plot hole with the Tri-Wizard cup still really annoys me. The Deathly Hallows has so many beautiful paragraphs.

See I wasn't a fan of Azkaban. When I originally read it after Chamber I was kind of like "uhhh what's the point of this book, voldemort isn't even in it." I mean I understand NOW but when I was younger I wasn't a fan and I still like the others better haha

Its weird. Azkaban is my favourite film. It's just exactly how I would envisage Harry's time at Hogwarts. I don't really enjoy Azkaban as a book anymore though. The time-travelling aspect really grates on me. There is no way they would trust a third-year student witch with time travel.

I think JK Rowling realised how stupid it was. That's why she destroyed all the time-turners at the end end of Order of Phoenix.

DMKA
12-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Breaking Dawn

Aerith's Knight
12-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Honestly, probably the first one. I keep thinking of the later books, but they all have their.. things about them.

Night Fury
12-05-2015, 02:19 PM
I think Half Blood Prince tbh!

Fynn
12-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Oh, Ayen's gonna be thrilled once he comes back to this thread XD

Ayen
12-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Oh, Ayen's gonna be thrilled once he comes back to this thread XD

You're right. Order of Phoenix is in third place in the polls 8D