PDA

View Full Version : Pan

blackmage_nuke
10-05-2015, 06:27 PM
I really like the Joe Wright's directing and what not so I want to see it but I don't want to go to the cinema alone to see a kids movie.

Has anyone seen it? Is it actually a kids movie? Is the story altered to match the general tone of his previous movies? Will I regret not seeing it in a cinema?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-05-2015, 06:57 PM

charliepanayi
10-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Barely anyone will have seen it as it's not officially out yet. The early reviews aren't great though, it sounds like a bit of a mess. A bit like Hook was really.

blackmage_nuke
10-05-2015, 07:41 PM
I didnt realise. It's been out for a week in Australia for some crazy reason

sharkythesharkdogg
10-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Just go see it, if you like his stuff. Once you're in the theater, it's dark, and everyone is focused on the movie.

Even if it is a kids movie, no one is going to notice one person alone. You shouldn't let it keep you from seeing a movie you might enjoy. :shrug:

charliepanayi
10-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Too right, I won't let being on my own stop me from watching Pixar films at the cinema.

Ayen
10-05-2015, 11:43 PM
I like that they actually let a kid play Peter Pan this time. Curious to see how Hugh Jackman pulls off Hook.

DMKA
10-06-2015, 01:01 AM
I'm very much looking forward to it. Looks like my kind of movie. And it has Hugh Jackman. :love:

I'm really wondering why Tiger Lily looks like this, however...

http://d1jrw5jterzxwu.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/styles/article_header_image/public/article_media/rooney-mara-tigerlily-pan.jpg

Did the director just decide to make the tribe they encounter in Neverland not Native Americans anymore? :p

From reading the early reviews, the main source of negativity from the people who didn't like it is how much it deviates from what it's based on and re-envisions everything. I suppose that's just another one of those things.

blackmage_nuke
10-06-2015, 01:19 AM
I read an article about that and he said that he felt it would be more racist to portray the tribe as native american caricatures as it is in the original story and decided to turn them all into a mishmash of cultures and present them as the natives of neverland.

I agree she didnt necessarily have to be white though but then i guess Im just prejudging, she might just have been the right actor for the role

edit: just saw it

Didn't have the charm of Joe Wright's previous films. The dialogue often times felt superfluous and cliched. In most of his movies he'll cut the dialogue so every line has a purpose but this was filled with so much unnecessary filler talk. From what I could see there was no elaborate long take that featured in most of his previous movies. I had maybe 2 or 3 laughs and there were maybe one or two camera transitions I liked and the special effects were pretty cool but overall I wasnt too impressed asside from one or two scenes that stood out but otherwise it felt kind of disjointed. Hugh Jackman was pretty good. The music was a rather unique choice

charliepanayi
10-06-2015, 09:14 AM
I like that they actually let a kid play Peter Pan this time. Curious to see how Hugh Jackman pulls off Hook.

He's not Hook, he's Blackbeard. Hook (who at this point still has both hands and is an ally of Peter during the film I think) is played by Garrett Hedlund as a Han Solo type.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-10-2015, 12:23 AM
Watched this last night. It was great. The actor who played Hook was a phenomenal choice.

Go watch it by yourself. No shame. I watch movies (even kid) by myself all the time. I watched this by myself last night. It means I don't have to share the popcorn or listen to somebody else before/after/during the movie/previews.

Del Murder
10-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Apparently, this movie was highly panned by critics. *runs*

DMKA
10-15-2015, 11:50 PM
It was pretty disappointing, I must say.

Ayen
10-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Apparently, this movie was highly panned by critics. *runs*

Smurfing critics going around hating everything.

Wait...

Shauna
10-18-2015, 11:45 AM
It was pretty terrible. I was bored a lot of the time. Not only that, but it felt like it had absolutely no connection to the actual Peter Pan story. I didn't feel at any point that we had been transported to the magical Neverland, just to the "old west".

Eh.

blackmage_nuke
10-18-2015, 02:12 PM
The Smells Like Teen Spirit scene was way more enjoyable than it had any right to be.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-18-2015, 06:54 PM
I kind of enjoyed the movie but also thought it was really terrible. I think I just enjoyed it somewhat because I didn't have to pay for it.

It was weird having more modern songs being sung by the Neverland people while this movie was set during WWII times. That was the first thing that REALLY pulled me out of the movie. They could have done something interesting there with Neverland being an alternate dimension thing and having Blackbeard happen to come from more alternate times, but no. It just didn't make sense. I still kind of enjoyed the scene for how bad it was.

I honestly haven't read the original Peter Pan story. All of my experience comes from either the Disney cartoon or Hook. Based around my understanding of Peter Pan, it felt like a lot of the only real connections to the story were just small nods in that a fairy was named Tinkerbell, that one crocodile making an appearance, the Jolly Roger, and just names of characters. It could have been interesting seeing Peter and Hook become friends but turn into enemies by the end. I dunno, it just felt like there was potential to do a lot of interesting things, but all of those things were just maybe hinted at and then dropped.

Shauna
10-20-2015, 01:36 PM
I did not enjoy the Smells Like Teen Spirit Scene because I hate fun, obvs.

Here are a few questions I had that have no answers:

why was it set in WWII peter pan was written in 1911

why did blackbeard want to kill all fairies when he needed them to continue to make the fairy dust so he could live forever

why was he concerned with living forever when he lives in neverland

why did the fairies sound like that when they should sound like bells that's the whole reason tinkerbell was named as such

why did all the pirate ships fly

why were hook and tiger lily in love

at the end hook was all "what could possibly happen between us" WELL WHAT HAPPENED there is literally no way to reconcile what happened in this movie with the actual story so plz help me out here movie

blackmage_nuke
10-20-2015, 11:22 PM
why was it set in WWII peter pan was written in 1911
Blackbeard said he gathered boys from all eras or something along those lines, I assume the timestream of neverland is not parallel to earth and they can travel to any point in earth time to take children from. He gathered Peter from WWII and Peter later went to 1911 to take Wendy, this explains how Blackbeard has access to a song that was not written during WWII and Neon Lights

why did blackbeard want to kill all fairies when he needed them to continue to make the fairy dust so he could live forever
He didn't that I can recall, but realistically he probably assumed he wouldnt be able to capture and enslave them, and I assumed the entire cavern was made of crystalised fairy dust, since small dregs have been keeping him alive for so long I assume that amount of fairy dust will last him for at least a million years.

why was he concerned with living forever when he lives in neverland

In this version of the story people probably age in Neverland unless they use Fairy Dust, Hook aged (I assume he was kidnapped by blackbeard at a young age) and I actually think it's a pretty reasonable explanation. I havent read the original play but I don't think its ever explicitly stated Neverland automatically gives you the power to not grow up, only Peter has this power.

why did the fairies sound like that when they should sound like bells that's the whole reason tinkerbell was named as such
You got me there, cave acoustics?

why did all the pirate ships fly
Maybe, Fairy Dust? It might be a calculated economic risk to spend fairy dust to collect more boys to collect more fairy dust. Also some of the miners probably die and have to be replaced so the use of fairy dust to attain more seams reasonable.

why were hook and tiger lily in love
No idea, maybe this is a set up for why Hook would later hate Peter. Unless you mean why as in why would those two ever like each other in which case probably because Hook hasnt seen a woman since he was a kid and since Tiger Lily likes bad boys.

at the end hook was all "what could possibly happen between us" WELL WHAT HAPPENED there is literally no way to reconcile what happened in this movie with the actual story so plz help me out here movie
Probably building up for a sequel that wont happen though I agree this shouldve been a movie about how Hook and Pan became enemies as all accounts from the original story are vague and there was a lot of room to work with.