PDA

View Full Version : Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final announced by Atlus today.

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Not much info (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/05/shin-megami-tensei-iv-final-announced/)besides a few key things:

Staffed by the same team who developed SMTIV
While it shares the moniker of SMTIV, it's a new game and story.
That game's central theme is Deicide (how original Atlus that's almost the theme of every entry)
It's coming out in Japan next February for the 3DS.

I'm honestly pretty excited for this. I had a blast with SMTIV and Atlus has milked the Persona franchise so much lately, it's nice to see something from the actual mainline series every once in a while.

NeoCracker
10-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Milked it without having released a new Numbered Persona game in fucking ages. :p

But yeah, I really dug SMT IV. I'm so down for this, if it hits stateside 2016 that'll make the coming year even better.

Mirage
10-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Yes, that is why he called it milking.

Fynn
10-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Holy crap, yes please :omgomg:

Skyblade
10-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Honestly, I couldn't get into Shin Megami Tensei IV.

It was a little too centered on the dungeons, the character development and story went along at a snail's pace, even by RPG standards. And it features first person RPG combat, which I loathe with an utter passion.

I don't think I completed more than the first dungeon. So, while I do adore ATLUS, I'm going to sit this one out, I think.

Fynn
10-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Interesting thing I noticed. The character designs for Jonathan, Walter and Isabeau (the first to especially) were very clearly inspired by the chaos and law heroes, as well as the heroine from SMT1. Here, the protagonist stands between a brunette clad in blue and a blonde - just like Aleph from SMT2. Hmm...

Also, is that blonde girl Nozomi? The resemblence is uncanny. Could it be that this is a prequel? People have theorized that the main protagonist here is actually Akira which, while admittedly interesting, Id rather didn't happen. I'd rather this be a separate story (alternate dimension?) in IV's world rather than a prequel.

Looks like the monster designs are done by those tokusatsu people again, which is just ugh... On that note, anyone else notice that hideous Lucifer design creeping in the background at the top of the picture?

Formalhaut
10-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Okay, so I've pretty much only played the Persona series: what exactly is the Shin Megami Tensei series?

Fynn
10-06-2015, 02:35 PM
It's the series that Persona spun off from. All Personas you see in the game were demons in the main series. In SMT you usually control one human character and the rest of your team is composed of demons you've recruited or fused. It's all much more about the post-apocalyptic setting, themes, and choices on a law and chaos spectrum rather than the characters, but that doesn't mean they're not interesting. They're very dark games, but also seriously good and fun to play.

SMTIV is now 50% off on the European 3DS eshop and it's as good a place as any to start, so take it into consideration :monster:

Formalhaut
10-06-2015, 04:22 PM
So are the SMT series not sequels to each other? I can definitely play SMT IV without really needing to have played the other three first?

Fynn
10-06-2015, 04:30 PM
So are the SMT series not sequels to each other? I can definitely play SMT IV without really needing to have played the other three first?

Yes. II is a direct sequel to I, but the other three main entries - Nocturne (III, or Lucifer's Call as it was called here in Europe), Strange Journey, and IV are all completely different continuities. And IV is pretty much the easiest one to get into. It's the ultimate SMT gateway drug, IMO.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2015, 04:07 AM
Some more info:

The game appears to either be a sequel or a side story, due to a few factors mentioned in the plot summary given.

The game deals with an organization called the Outlaw Hunters who deal with the daily life under the dome of Tokyo. The main protagonist is an apprentice within the organization when he is suddenly killed by a demon surprise attack one day. He makes a deal with a mysterious demon who brings him back to life, which also grants him the power to summon demons and angels.

The only characters announced so far are the main protagonist, the mysterious demon, Asashi, who is the main character's childhood friend and a fellow apprentice to the Outlaw Hunters, and Navarre from SMTIV, who has apparently died and due to his regrets, can't pass on to the next world and instead appears in this world as a spunky green ghost.

Many monster designs are going to be borrowed from SMTIV but new monsters will be designed be series long running artist.

The game started it's life as a director's cut/Maniax version of SMTIV, but the staff decided they wanted to create a new game instead of just working on the original. With that said, they are incorporating all of the feedback they got with SMTIV for this game. They hope to make this the biggest RPG for the 3DS.

Another theme the director mentioned is that the game is about showing the necessary "reality" to mankind's limited state, and to throw the character into an ambiguous story that will have them deciding whether they "should I bond with, or kill them all?"

I honestly can't wait for this, I loved SMTIV and it will be great to jump back into the world, because it was one of my favorite things about the original.

Fynn
10-07-2015, 05:56 AM
You and me both. I'm actually thinking if replaying IV now! If only my backlog wasn't so huge :onoes:

I'm interested in how they intend to create the largest RPG on the 3DS with Xenoblade Chronicles available for the system :p Unless they mean just on the regular 3DS, excluding the New model.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2015, 06:17 AM
I think they mean in terms of popularity and sales.

Fynn
10-07-2015, 06:24 AM
Hmm. Biggest is kind if a weird choice of a word then.

Still, I'm really surprised at how super stoked I am. Now let's just hope I can find my way around SMT1. And that this comes out in Europe - SMTIV almost didn't!

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2015, 06:26 AM
Well since Atlus is part of Sega now, they've been doing better with releasing titles in Europe if only a little bit.

The game is apparently 90% done, so I'm hoping it comes State side as well.

Wolf Kanno
10-11-2015, 10:33 PM
W~Post!!!

We got a teaser trailer and some more info.

39SuZbvv9vY

The game will not have a Law or Chaos path, instead it will feature several variations of the Neutral path.
Though you don't need to play SMTIV to understand SMTIVF, there will be several call backs to the original for fans who played the SMTIV.
The main character will be a traditional silent protagonist and he uses a smartphone as his COMP.
Asahi can be considered the heroine of the story and is one of the youngest characters in the main series. She's 15.
Navarre apparently suffered a very amusing and petty death. He has a more prominent role in this game than he did in SMTIV.
There will be over 450 demons in this game (suck it Pokemon) and several monsters from SMTIV have also been slightly redesigned such as Medusa and Lucifer who retain their SMTIV forms but seem to have been slightly redesigned to fit better in with the series normal design. Mermaids are one of the new monsters as well.
The Partner System is one of the game's new mechanics and will be different from the original. While Asahi and Navarre are confirmed partners, there are apparently some other humans who will join you.
There is a new Assist Attack mechanic but not much has been divulged yet. Also, Human partners will level up and can be customized like demons.
The Conversation system has been revamped.
Demons can use any ability but get bonuses for elements and abilities that in-line with their own affinities. In other words, Jack Frost can use Agi (Fire) spells but he gets bonus damage for using Bufu (Ice) magic.
Demon stats have also been altered from how they worked in SMTIV. Not sure if this means they level up differently now or if they simply readjusted and rebalanced them.
Isabeau has been confirmed as a character who will show up in the story. Hell yeah!
Fynn (SMTIV MC), may also show up but there seems to be some secret the staff is not divulging on that.
The title can be misleading but SMTIV: Final is not the last SMT game, there will be a SMTV and VI in the future so don't worry fans.

I'm getting psyched the more I hear about this. :omgomg:

Fynn
10-12-2015, 05:47 AM
I'm honored to be having a secret cameo.

NeoCracker
10-12-2015, 10:28 AM
I mean I can't bring myself to give a fuck about the human partners, but otherwise seems sweet.

Fynn
10-12-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm psyched that Nozomi is a party member.

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2015, 03:19 AM
I'm happy she's finally getting character art work. Considering how often she popped up in the story, I felt she could have at least gotten a portrait picture considering actual story characters with less screen time got some.

I also hope the Demonica suit is available again in this game. I also hope you can acquire a "Samurai" uniform as well. I enjoy customizing my characters appearance in SMTIV.

Fynn
10-16-2015, 02:16 PM
So some people are theorizing that the new protagonist is Akira or a reincarnation, due to their similar eyebrows and scar placement. Not sure how probable that is, but it would be an intriguing twist.

Wolf Kanno
10-16-2015, 06:27 PM
It's possible it's another reincarnation of the dude. Would be interesting seeing as how he was the other person besides Flynn who contributed to so much of the circumstances of the SMTIV world.

Fynn
10-16-2015, 06:32 PM
It makes perfect sense, then.