PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Bri'ish Writer not named J.K. Rowling

Colonel Angus
12-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Which Bri'ish writer (excluding J.K. Rowling, you nerds) is your favourite?

escobert
12-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Philip Pullman

Vermachtnis
12-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Douglas Adams, love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Mr. Carnelian
12-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Terry Pratchett. The Discworld books ARE my childhood.

Arthur C. Clarke comes in a close second. A truly brilliant sci-fi writer.

Third is Douglas Adams. Hitchikers is a CLASSIC. I really wish he hadn't killed off Fenchurch, though. Plus, he wrote some fantastic Doctor Who stories, and was head writer during Tom Baker's golden period.

I Took the Red Pill
12-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Virginia Woolf.

Freya
12-01-2015, 07:11 PM
But Robert Galbraith is....

Fynn
12-01-2015, 07:14 PM
But Robert Galbraith is....

:jokey:

Pike
12-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Philip Pullman

This and Richard Adams.

Sephex
12-02-2015, 04:51 AM
Forum members shouldn't be included in this poll because of bias.

Skyblade
12-02-2015, 05:17 AM
I haven't voted in the poll. Too many great authors, it's hard to choose a favorite. However, the one who immediately jumped to mind when I saw the title of the thread does not appear in the poll, and I am rather disappointed by this.

Diana Wynne Jones.

Best known today for writing Howl's Moving Castle, thanks to Studio Ghibli popularizing it with a film. But she was also a dear friend and mentor of Neil Gaiman (he wrote her eulogy, dedicated a book to her, wrote several poems to her, and wrote a blog (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2011/03/being-alive.html) about her as well). She wrote some of the greatest fantasy novels of all time (and, in my personal opinion, FAR better than Harry Potter).

Homeward Bounders
The Lives of Christopher Chant
The Ogre Downstairs
Witch Week
The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
Fire and Hemlock
Eight Days of Luke
Dark Lord of Derkholm
Dogsbody

And so many more.

Alas, one of the greatest British authors goes overlooked. Hopefully, I stirred some of you guys to give her works a try. I recommend them tremendously. My favorites are Homeward Bounders and The Lives of Christopher Chant, but there are plenty I love that I reread to this day. Please. Give her works a shot.

Pumpkin
12-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Terry Pratchett