PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own / getting an Xbox One?

fat_moogle
10-06-2015, 06:15 PM
I've never, ever owned an Xbox. However I'll be picking One up by the end of the year so I can play Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm also looking forward to trying out Gears of War remastered, which I'll probably ask for for Christmas. By playing that game by the 31st December you also gain access to the rest of the games in the series via backwards compatability, so that's a bonus if I end up enjoying it. I'm hoping that Alan Wake gets added to the list of backwards compatible titles at some point, as that game looked really interesting. Played it for like 5 minutes at a friends house one time.

Ayen
10-06-2015, 10:23 PM
No. If I make the leap it'd either be a PS4 or Wii U. I probably wouldn't even have a Xbox 360 if the PlayStation 3 didn't have such a crazy price spike when it first came out.

Slothy
10-06-2015, 10:54 PM
I will likely never own a Microsoft console because I hate the company and I don't trust them, plus a console isn't really as much of a necessity as Windows (thank god).

That said, I wish Forza was multiplatform because Gran Turismo hasn't really done it for me since the PS2.

Pike
10-07-2015, 12:03 AM
I would like one but it's not a huge priority right now.

I'm not much of a console gamer anymore but I am leaning towards the Bone more than the PS4 at this point, mostly because Xbox and I have been friends ever since the original Halo (I know, I know, this makes me a casual)

Fox
10-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Awesome perk of working as a game developer: my dev kit can play retail games!

Halo 5 here I come! :D

Psychotic
10-07-2015, 02:53 PM
I've had vague thoughts about it. I had an Xbox 360 in the last generation, loved (still love) the hell out of it and is probably the best console I've ever had. I have a PS4 now and I'm really enjoying that so I don't really need one, especially as imho the PS4 has better games. With that said, while I can't speak for the Xbox One the 360 had a much better interface and controller than the PS3 and PS4. There is one game series in particular I will miss though and would tempt me into the One if they make some good ones...

You mention Gears of War and that was one of the games that really captured my imagination. Ignorant people dismiss it as "Oh it's stupid chainsaw gun macho" but actually the soundtrack, the characters and lore are fantastic (better than halo's dreck, sorry) and the art direction is just out of this world. Gears of War 2 is my favourite - I'm sure you'll have a great time with them!

DMKA
10-08-2015, 03:44 AM
Seeing as I already own a PS4 and a Wii U and a competent gaming PC, an Xbox One seems utterly useless.

I was thinking about one when I heard Rise of the Tomb Raider would be an "exclusive", but then when I found out it's going to come out on PC better looking and better running a few months later I decided it'd be a waste of money.

There are a few exclusives for XB1 that I've seen and said "Hmm, that looks kind of interesting. I'd give that a try if I had the console." but nothing that I must have or that would convince me to drop hundreds of dollars for the privilege to play.

I might buy one years from now when it's cheap.

Sephex
10-08-2015, 04:50 AM
I have one, but the only reason why is that my friend won one at his work and he didn't want it, so I am paying him in installments. I figured why not? I've been wanting to play a couple newer games/get games when the released on launch date. I already have a Wii U, and I still would like a PS4, but I might try to get a better PC first. Really depends on my situation.

Colonel Angus
10-08-2015, 05:46 AM
I've never wanted an XBox. The last non-Nintendo system I owned is a PS2. I'd get a PS4 before an XBOne, & even that I'm not sure I need.

Formalhaut
10-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Oh, me and Mr. Carny will get round to it eventually, when the price is slashed severely. Our console of choice is going to be PS4. We'll probably reward ourselves it for Christmas.

Loony BoB
10-08-2015, 04:36 PM
I have yet to see an Xbox One exclusive that I have felt I really need to play to the point of wanting to spend that much money on it. The PS4 does nicely for me, and my PC is excellent.

Ixtli
10-15-2015, 03:19 PM
I plan on it. But I won't be getting one anytime soon.

Vyk
10-21-2015, 04:04 PM
I don't look down on the XBone the way I once did. I kinda feel sorry for it now. Its not a bad console. I've seen side-by-side comparisons to PS4, and its not all that different. Its a worthwhile choice for quality multiplatform games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, or if you're into Destiny or Assassin's Creed. Halo and Gears of War could never make me buy a console. Tomb Raider probably won't either. Which is sad for them. The only thing that mildly interests me is Scalebound. I think some of Microsoft's gaming execs are dumb as all hell, but I hold nothing against the console or its fans. PS4 is treating me extremely well at the moment. I'd like to play Killer Instinct or Rare Replay but not very badly. Even if they made a REALLY good Fable game, I'd have to think long and hard about it

fat_moogle
11-24-2015, 01:10 AM
You mention Gears of War and that was one of the games that really captured my imagination. Ignorant people dismiss it as "Oh it's stupid chainsaw gun macho" but actually the soundtrack, the characters and lore are fantastic (better than halo's dreck, sorry) and the art direction is just out of this world. Gears of War 2 is my favourite - I'm sure you'll have a great time with them!
I'll let you know what I think when I've played them :)

Haven't got my Xbox One yet as I'm waiting to see if there are any deals going on for Black Friday. I've got the money put aside but I'll be getting the money back as its a Christmas present. It's frustrating that most of the Xbox One bundles contain a digital download for Fifa 16 and I don't give a flying fuck about football. A 1TB Xbox One with Gears of War Remastered and Rise of the Tomb Raider would be pretty nice.

DMKA
11-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Someone actually gave me one as an early Christmas gift. I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on it.

It's really very similar to the PS4, though I have to say I like the PS4's interface way better.

Mirage
11-25-2015, 02:31 AM
By all means get an xbox 1, but please don't fall into their trap and buy it for the next tomb raider. You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.

Ayen
11-25-2015, 02:45 AM
By all means get an xbox 1, but please don't fall into their trap and buy it for the next tomb raider. You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.

You don't even need a Xbox One to get Tomb Raider. You can just buy it on the Xbox 360.

Mirage
11-25-2015, 02:55 AM
ew, previous gen graphics and performance.

DMKA
11-25-2015, 04:00 AM
You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.
I don't think you have to worry about that. Rise of the Tomb Raider has been a complete bomb in terms of sales. It's sold less than a third of the amount that the last game sold in the same time span.

Whoever decided releasing it as an Xbox exclusive on the same day as Fallout 4 was a good idea probably needs to be fired.

Loony BoB
11-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Whoever decided releasing it as an Xbox exclusive on the same day as Fallout 4 was a good idea probably needs to be fired.
Actually, the release date was announced for Rise of the Tomb Raider before it was set for Fallout 4.

The real bomb was making it a one year (let alone one month) timed exclusive for the console that has sold less globally, especially when the previous game (Tomb Raider) sold better on the other manufacturer's consoles.

Mirage
11-25-2015, 12:57 PM
You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.
I don't think you have to worry about that. Rise of the Tomb Raider has been a complete bomb in terms of sales. It's sold less than a third of the amount that the last game sold in the same time span.

Oh, no. I just take that as a sign of more people than me making a conscious effort to make those tactics not work.

Loony BoB
11-25-2015, 01:13 PM
I don't think it's much of an effort to not spend £400 so you can play a video game. A conscious effort would be more if there was something that was very easily done and potentially beneficial / worth the cost etc.

I doubt anyone who has an Xbox One is actually saying to themselves that they would go and buy RotTR and that they want to and have the money but are choosing not to because of the fact that there was a one year timed exclusive for PS4 owners. I would say it's more just a case of Fallout 4 coming out at the same time and also the fact that you can only buy it if you already own or are willing to pay for an Xbox One. These two things are far more likely to have impacted sales than a conscious effort to try and create change.

In other words, the people aren't making the effort and that is because of their priorities, not moral grounds.

DMKA
11-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Actually, the release date was announced for Rise of the Tomb Raider before it was set for Fallout 4.

The real bomb was making it a one year (let alone one month) timed exclusive for the console that has sold less globally, especially when the previous game (Tomb Raider) sold better on the other manufacturer's consoles.

True true, but they could have easily pushed back the release date, could they not? Square-Enix hasn't been shy about pushing back releases in the past.

But I agree, making it a timed XB1 exclusive was the prime damning factor.

Ayen
11-26-2015, 01:10 AM
I just hope Square doesn't see this as a reason to axe the Tomb Raider reboot altogether.

Slothy
11-26-2015, 02:30 AM
Hopefully Microsoft paid Square enough to make it worth their while. Frankly, I hate exclusives. They're good for console manufacturers, but not for consumers.

Mirage
11-26-2015, 03:21 AM
At least you can play it on PC pretty soon.

Loony BoB
11-27-2015, 02:55 PM
I don't terribly mind exclusives. What I mind are timed exclusives. Complete exclusives just mean that the developer didn't have an interest in developing it for another console. I mean, nobody really complains about Halo or Uncharted not being available on the Wii U. However, timed exclusives mean they are willing to do the work but they are accepting a huge sum of money to put off a release they in all likelihood could have managed at an earlier time, if not the same time.

Mirage
11-27-2015, 03:00 PM
In SE's case it is worse than usual because they have publicly stated that console exclusivity is not in their interest. Then they go out and make something that is extremely close to a console exclusive. The PS4 wait is nearly a year.

Loony BoB
11-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Honestly, they would have been better off if they just announced a PS4 port a few months after the Xbone release, pretending they never initially had plans. That's how dumb the entire thing is.

Slothy
11-27-2015, 05:11 PM
I mean, nobody really complains about Halo or Uncharted not being available on the Wii U.

I think no one complains because they know Microsoft isn't going to release Halo on a Sony or Nintendo console. They're still bad for consumers because anyone who wants to play one or two exclusives on one console but owns the other either chooses between spending money on multiple consoles or not enjoying the game they want. I personally hate that Forza is Xbox exclusive because it's a good series and I'd like to play it but I can't because I don't have a 360 and I really don't plan on buying any of the new consoles because I don't think any of them are worth it. And I don't often go around mentioning it because I know it's never going to be on anything but an Xbox as long as Microsoft is publishing it so no amount of complaining, even by the entire gaming community, would ever change it.

fat_moogle
11-27-2015, 05:58 PM
I bought my Xbox One online this morning in GAME's Black Friday deal. I got the console, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rare Replay and Goat Simulator for £230. I bought Geara of War Remastered alongside it for £19 and Rise of the Tomb Raider for £38 (from ShopTo), totalling £287. I've never owned an Xbox so I'm looking forward to trying some of the RARE games, and likewise with Gears of War. Ori looks great, too, and I've heard good things. The only game I don't care about in that list is Goat Simulator but my sister might love it xD