PDA

View Full Version : Tifa's voice: is she a soprano or a mezzo-soprano?

SuperMillionaire
10-07-2015, 02:45 PM
There are three types of female voices, depending on pitch: soprano is the highest, mezzo-soprano is in the middle, and contralto is the lowest. Sometimes, Tifa's voice (Ayumi Ito in Japanese and Rachael Leigh Cook in English) sounds like a high-pitched soprano, while other times, she sounds like a medium-pitched mezzo-soprano; she is definitely not a deep, low-pitched contralto. I can't really decide whether she is a soprano or a mezzo-soprano. Which one is she?

Psychotic
10-07-2015, 03:09 PM
No she's definitely a contralto. The second you meet her in 7th Heaven the very first thought that ran through my head was "Aha! There's a contralto if ever I saw one!"

SuperMillionaire
10-07-2015, 04:57 PM
No, she's definitely not a contralto. You know who's a contralto? Lightning from XIII. (Her sister, Serah, on the other hand, is a soprano.)

Fynn
10-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Lightning is a fucking mezzosoprano, seriously :colbert: Fang is an alto.

Shauna
10-07-2015, 05:12 PM
She's all about dat bass

Fynn
10-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Stop baritone erasure!

Jinx
10-07-2015, 05:28 PM
I think it's weird trying to ascribe singing terms to talking voices? Because your talking voice has nothing to do with your singing voice? I have a moderately high talking voice but a very low singing voice?

SuperMillionaire
10-07-2015, 07:15 PM
I think it's weird trying to ascribe singing terms to talking voices? Because your talking voice has nothing to do with your singing voice? I have a moderately high talking voice but a very low singing voice?

But aren't your speaking voice and your singing voice supposed to be related? And I'm sure you can use singing terms to describe speaking voices as well.

And Lightning is a contralto, Fynn.

Fynn
10-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Jinx is right. I speak in a pretty low tone normally but my singing voice ranges from baritone to contratenor, depending on how I prepare myself. My wife is like a soprano if you've ever heard one, but she also speaks in a pretty low voice. Lightning may be speaking quite low, but you can sure tell that her voice has a higher timbre to it when she gets angry. The contraltos I've had the pleasure dealing with were singing with tenors and seriously, their voice were deeper than mine.

Tl;dr, no they don't compare, and there's no way in hell Lightning could be a contralto, but Id first need to hear Ali Hillis sing to confirm that :monster:

SuperMillionaire
10-08-2015, 01:41 PM
I thought your speaking and singing voices were related, unless you do a falsetto. You can raise or lower the pitch of your voice accordingly.

Psychotic
10-08-2015, 02:06 PM
What if someone casts Slow on her?

Formalhaut
10-08-2015, 03:07 PM
What if someone casts Slow on her?

Or Haste. Would it be like like helium through a balloon?

Psychotic
10-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Let's not forget Silence.

Loony BoB
10-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Tifa always struck me as similar to the kind of voice she has in the Japanese voice casting of her in Advent Children. It seemed about right. Maybe slightly less husky, if anything.

Rin Heartilly
10-10-2015, 07:52 AM
I never thought of Tifa having a high pitched voice, I wouldn't call her AC voice soprano either, I always thought her voice was calm, semi-deep and motherly sounding (yeah I'm bad at describing stuff). Yuffie fits the bill as soprano, and I don't see Tifa having a voice as high as hers.

Night Fury
10-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Tifa - Yuna voice
Yuffie - Rikku voice
Aeris - Who cares? She dead.

SuperMillionaire
10-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Tifa always struck me as similar to the kind of voice she has in the Japanese voice casting of her in Advent Children. It seemed about right. Maybe slightly less husky, if anything.

Perhaps Ayumi Ito's voice is slightly huskier than Rachael Leigh Cook's voice, then? Sometimes, they may sound a little different.

Ayen
10-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Tifa - Yuna voice
Yuffie - Rikku voice

Aeris may be dead, but Aerith is alive and well in Traverse Town.

I always imagined her with a smooth feminine voice if that makes any sense.

Rufsie
10-11-2015, 12:14 AM
If there is one thing i have learned from Internet.... Don't listen to ideas when it comes to dubbing games, in terms of using "anime" as an example. I swear... every voice actor who dubs those shows usually make girls who are at the age of 15 to the age of 5, because they can't make the english voice realistic in terms of age and just imitate the pitch that Japanese voice actor does.

I suggest have her in a stereotypical english teen voice, atleast if i had to choose between imitating japanese or die or the suggestion i made, then i'd rather prefer having the typical teenager english voice. Kinda like the english voice that "Alexis" from "Yugioh GX" has.

Rin Heartilly
10-11-2015, 10:02 AM
If there is one thing i have learned from Internet.... Don't listen to ideas when it comes to dubbing games, in terms of using "anime" as an example. I swear... every voice actor who dubs those shows usually make girls who are at the age of 15 to the age of 5, because they can't make the english voice realistic in terms of age and just imitate the pitch that Japanese voice actor does.

I suggest have her in a stereotypical english teen voice, atleast if i had to choose between imitating japanese or die or the suggestion i made, then i'd rather prefer having the typical teenager english voice. Kinda like the english voice that "Alexis" from "Yugioh GX" has.

Hmmm I disagree, I find most Japanese anime have the female voices way too high pitched, borderline annoying when most Japanese girls IRL do not have such high pitched voices. I think Evangelion, School rumble, Cowboy beebop are all dubs superior to the original that got the female voices done right.

Rufsie
10-11-2015, 10:25 AM

Hmmm I disagree, I find most Japanese anime have the female voices way too high pitched, borderline annoying when most Japanese girls IRL do not have such high pitched voices. I think Evangelion, School rumble, Cowboy beebop are all dubs superior to the original that got the female voices done right.

Its only a few exceptions. Mostly they tend to be too lazy to try and think realistic. I mean 4kids atleast had it right when dubbing to make it sound like their age, unlike funimation which is so dull and just imitate everything basically just to please the simple minded anime community that is targeted for perverts in the first place. If 4kids hadn't censored stuff they'd probably not be in trouble, i mean... you can't change one bit to please the internet XD

Not that i like anime because its too melodramatic and bad in general. Most of them, some are ok though.
https://youtu.be/5BBenTR8VNI

SuperMillionaire
10-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Tifa - Yuna voice
Yuffie - Rikku voice

Aeris may be dead, but Aerith is alive and well in Traverse Town.

I always imagined her with a smooth feminine voice if that makes any sense.

Too bad Tifa wasn't in that game too...

And when it comes to having a feminine voice, are you referring to Aerith, Tifa, or both of them?

And are some voices higher in English or Japanese?