PDA

View Full Version : Undertale

Sephex
10-12-2015, 01:33 AM
EDIT: It's best to go into this game blind! Only read my post/watch the preview video if you are on the fence or something!

NOTE: If my post about this is TL;DR, just watch the video below. It explains what I just typed in a short one minute and fifteen second video!

I'm sure a good chunk of you have heard or even played this game right now. I'm going to be vague because I don't want to spoil anything. Even the creator of the game, Toby Fox, recommends that if you are interested and go to watch a Let's Play or whatever, just watch a few minutes and then decide if you want to try it yourself. It is a game that really does reach its full potential if you go into it as blind as possible.

The game is an RPG that has a very EarthBound vibe to it. It's certainly not the first game to do so, but it also take RPG tropes and turns them on their head. It's a moderately lengthy game (6-10 hours depending on how you play), but it is worth it to fully explore the game.

Again, this is hardly original for an indie game these days, but the graphics look like a cross between a SNES game and an early DOS game. Oh, and the music is absolutely phenomenal. One of the best RPG soundtracks in ages. Just like something like Shovel Knight, the look works, and adds to the game rather than simply using that kind of style to get nostalgia points.

The combat system is really cool. Instead of simply selecting commands you control a heart (that looks like a Zelda life heart) in a box as you dodge/interact with bullet hell attacks (but not super crazy bullet hell most of time).

There are two main ways to play the game. Though a lot have people have revealed this already, I'll still spoiler tag it. I mean, I'll probably save you some time if you look, but anyway...Plus, I think the creator of the game is cool with people knowing this fact going in, but again, I'll spoiler tag it anyway Alright, so basically you can either play the game like a typical RPG and fight everything...but you can also literally go through the game without killing anything but selecting the proper commands.

It's just a really good game. The emotional impact it had on me really crept up on me. I want to gush about it some more, but again, I want to be vague for anyone who will end up playing it or even if any of you are in the middle of playing it now.

It is available on Steam or you can straight up buy it from the site itself. It's 10 bucks!

http://undertale.com/

Here is a preview video that is on the site for those lazy to click it!

1Hojv0m3TqA

Spuuky
10-12-2015, 05:30 PM
It's on my wishlist. I can't watch the video because I want to see as little about it as possible before I play it (like every game I already plan to play) but it sounds like I'll probably enjoy it.

Psychotic
10-12-2015, 05:54 PM
I picked it up last week and it's next on my list to play once I'm done with Albino Lullaby. So hopefully in a couple of weeks or two I can post my thoughts here. I'm looking forward to it!

Sephex
10-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Nice to both of you. I am confident that you'll both enjoy it! Looking forward to forthcoming thoughts!

Pete for President
10-12-2015, 10:37 PM
I have heard many good things about this title and will get it at some point. I didn't read any of the above posts or watched any of the videos though, as I hope to go in blind ;D

Sephex
10-13-2015, 04:47 AM
I have heard many good things about this title and will get it at some point. I didn't read any of the above posts or watched any of the videos though, as I hope to go in blind ;D

That's honestly the best way to do it. You know what? I should add that to the top of my post...

*goes to edit*

Psychotic
10-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Just completed it. One of the best RPGs I have ever played. Funny, touching, clever and with a fucking awesome soundtrack. Probably my game of 2015. You all owe it to yourselves to play it.

Sephex
10-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Just completed it. One of the best RPGs I have ever played. Funny, touching, clever and with a fucking awesome soundtrack. Probably my game of 2015. You all owe it to yourselves to play it.

Glad to hear! I agree with your short review completely. I've seriously been listening to the soundtrack nonstop since I completed the game a week ago today. There are also so many layers to this game I've been reading up on. It's pretty crazy. Lots of creative stuff like artwork and soundtrack covers from the ever growing fan community as well. All around great time!

Psychotic
10-18-2015, 09:55 PM
What songs on the soundtrack are your favourites? I'm all over the final boss guitar music right now. I won't name it because spoilers but you know the one I mean. I think it's called Hopes and Dreams.

Sephex
10-18-2015, 10:57 PM
What songs on the soundtrack are your favourites? I'm all over the final boss guitar music right now. I won't name it because spoilers but you know the one I mean. I think it's called Hopes and Dreams.

I'll spoiler tag this just to be safe. Be warned! YouTube links incoming! SERIOUSLY SPOILERS! MY OCCASIONAL BLURBS ON SOME OF THESE ARE SPOILERS TOO!

xflkF-sqNaM

qrBB3_rFPjg

xLsuam9o9BA

YZ3XjVVNagU

tDuEWw648jo <--This one might be my favorite

2TgO-tN5wAM

EBhFHJMVfiI

kfgmMPke7_k<--This track is seriously on par with the best Final Fantasy boss music

h7bgLkdEFAE <--This fight was absolutely terrifying. Like Gygas on crack.

tz82xbLvK_k <--Tears, man...

mZRP7nQkfrM <--SAVE! SAVE! SAVE! SAVE!

Genocide/No mercy run spoiler
AUsNougQrkQ

gi2FOXsCIpY <--BONUS FUN SPIDER DANCE ANIMATION

Psychotic
10-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Those are good but you left out a classic:
bTL2n4M8NEY

Sephex
10-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Haha, yeah! The ones I posted were mostly the best of the best for me. I basically love the whole soundtrack! During that fight I seriously lost it when Napstablook's tears cried upside down and a hat formed which he called "Dapper Blook." Also before the fight when the game said he was literally lying on the floor saying 'Z' over and over again. If you didn't do it during your run, if you offer to lay on the floor with Napstablook at his home, a beautiful, surreal background image of space-like visuals appear. Dude, Naspstablook is the...uh....ghost? Man ghost? He's cool.

DMKA
10-20-2015, 01:29 AM
I just wish it weren't so ugly.

Sephex
10-20-2015, 01:50 AM
A small team of people made the game in RPG maker. I'll admit that the game looks archaic, and the retro look in indie games have been done to death, but in Undertale's case, the low tech looks lends itself positively to the overall atmosphere and feel for the game.

Pete for President
12-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I am an hour into this game and loving it. It has moved me more in just this little chunk than any other recent title I've played in it's entirety!

Sephex
12-24-2015, 06:29 AM
I am an hour into this game and loving it. It has moved me more in just this little chunk than any other recent title I've played in it's entirety!

Glad to hear it, man! Enjoy the ride!

Laddy
12-24-2015, 02:39 PM
This game is loads of fun when you take the emotion and humor side of things, but the gameplay is very dull so I have issues playing it for very long. I feel like while the game looks and feels old-school it could have been a bit more robust and engaging in the gameplay department.

Psychotic
12-24-2015, 04:06 PM
I think the bullet hell style combat is pretty damned original for an RPG.

Madame Adequate
12-24-2015, 04:41 PM
UnderTale is a work of genius. It's absolutely superb. Sans and Papyrus are the best ever.

And I can't stand it. I can't look past the graphics and I hate the fighting. It certainly is original! I also find it tedious as hell.

I wish I liked playing this game because god, it's clearly so good, but it just doesn't click with me at all. :( I'll just watch/read LPs I guess

Laddy
12-24-2015, 07:18 PM
I think the bullet hell style combat is pretty damned original for an RPG.Is it original? Yes. But I'd rather play Gradius instead of this if I wanted one. Maybe if there was a greater level of customization or more robust character advancement then it'd be welcome but it's just gimmicky and I hate it.

If Undertale was a straight-up old-school adventure game it might be my favorite game this year.

Necronopticous
12-24-2015, 08:46 PM
I do not like Undertale. It seems that I have quite an unpopular opinion on this.

Sephex
12-24-2015, 09:38 PM
I guess pressing X to win is more engaging for some people?

EDIT: I should clarify instead of being snarky.

I get the fact that this game isn't for everyone. What I don't guy is saying that the combat system isn't engaging. You can not like it, sure, but I know every single person who has frquented this forum has played and loved RPGs where you literally can win without much trouble by selecting the fight command in RPGs (in most cases). That doesn't make those games bad, as I love those types of games as well.

I found trying to figure out how to engage the enemies peacefully always kept me on my toes. I also like how the game constantly threw new things at you. Most importantly, the game is exactly as long as it needs to be. No filler. No fluff. No grinding (unless you are a jerk, but that's the point in that case). Just a fun game with well written characters and story.

Karifean
12-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Just bought this game in the Steam Winter Sale to celebrate Christmas. Truth be told I was on the fence about picking it up for the longest of times since it *sounded* like something I'd really enjoy but I didn't have quite the motivation to just go ahead and get it.

Then through circumstances I came across a video of the part where the glorious Megalovania plays, and now I finally have that motivation. I didn't even know about the whole bullet hell aspect before, that sounds really fun. Looking forward to playing it.

Shauna
12-24-2015, 11:52 PM
I also picked this up in the Steam sales. I'll give it a go at some point and update you all on how it goes! :3

Laddy
12-25-2015, 12:06 AM

I get the fact that this game isn't for everyone. What I don't guy is saying that the combat system isn't engaging. You can not like it, sure, but I know every single person who has frquented this forum has played and loved RPGs where you literally can win without much trouble by selecting the fight command in RPGs (in most cases). That doesn't make those games bad, as I love those types of games as well.

I found trying to figure out how to engage the enemies peacefully always kept me on my toes. I also like how the game constantly threw new things at you. Most importantly, the game is exactly as long as it needs to be. No filler. No fluff. No grinding (unless you are a jerk, but that's the point in that case). Just a fun game with well written characters and story.

I play RPG's to be engrossed in a good story as well as experiment with skills, weapons, and tactics. Undertale is not that sort of RPG experience outside of the story, characters, and writing which is excellent but not excellent enough for me to play variations of a simplistic bullet-hell minigame or rhythm fans as an excuse for combat. The combat, to me, is not my bag. It's definitely original, but too simplistic in execution outside of "don't get hit/hit the right time" and nothing else.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-25-2015, 03:21 AM
I've picked up the game too. I keep hearing the name pop up and it sounds intriguing despite knowing nothing about it (been avoiding reading this thread for the most part.)

Sephex
12-25-2015, 07:31 AM

I play RPG's to be engrossed in a good story as well as experiment with skills, weapons, and tactics. Undertale is not that sort of RPG experience outside of the story, characters, and writing which is excellent but not excellent enough for me to play variations of a simplistic bullet-hell minigame or rhythm fans as an excuse for combat. The combat, to me, is not my bag. It's definitely original, but too simplistic in execution outside of "don't get hit/hit the right time" and nothing else.

Okay, your reasoning is making more sense to me now. Yeah, if you are looking for a super deep RPG in terms of mechanics then you won't find it in Undertale.

My point of view on that is that I have played those games like that to death, and as I get older the less time I have for video games. So a more streamlined experience that reminds me of quirky stuff like EarthBound resonates with me. Keep in mind I was one of the few that was on board with EarthBound way back when it first released. I still can't believe that game broke out of the cult status!

Pete for President
12-26-2015, 07:40 PM
I just finished my first playthrough!

So the ending was really confusing (did we achieve anything?) and while in general I do like plot twists the flower thing was a bit too much imo. I love how Asgore was presented in the game, I could never tell whether he would be a nice guy or a ruthless murderer by the way NPC's talked about him. Sometimes the battle system is a bit unfair with seemingly undodgeable enemy moves, but at the same time I've had plenty of wow moments where I dodged something I totally didn't think I was going to make it. The characters are mostly memorable and awesome, with Alphys being the only slightly annoying one. The humor and the underlying dark tones work well together, makes a unique vibe.

Overall I am really impressed. It's a very original title and imo it deserves a lot of credit for what it is and achieves. I'm considering a second run straight up cause I do believe I missed a couple locked doors and secrets. And I just read there's multiple endings soooo

Sephex
12-26-2015, 09:50 PM
I just finished my first playthrough!

So the ending was really confusing (did we achieve anything?) and while in general I do like plot twists the flower thing was a bit too much imo. I love how Asgore was presented in the game, I could never tell whether he would be a nice guy or a ruthless murderer by the way NPC's talked about him. Sometimes the battle system is a bit unfair with seemingly undodgeable enemy moves, but at the same time I've had plenty of wow moments where I dodged something I totally didn't think I was going to make it. The characters are mostly memorable and awesome, with Alphys being the only slightly annoying one. The humor and the underlying dark tones work well together, makes a unique vibe.

Overall I am really impressed. It's a very original title and imo it deserves a lot of credit for what it is and achieves. I'm considering a second run straight up cause I do believe I missed a couple locked doors and secrets. And I just read there's multiple endings soooo

Yeah, all I am going to say is not to reset and load up your file. If you didn't kill anything, you just might come across something...

Pike
12-27-2015, 12:27 PM
I keep dying because bullet hell is like my WORST genre (especially with a keyboard) so I quit out of frustration. Sorry I cannot STAY DETERMINED...

What I played was very cute though, and that ghost guy has the best music I've ever heard in my life. I might go back to it later?

Vyk
12-27-2015, 05:04 PM
It should have controller support. Its an RPG Maker game at its core right? RPG Maker has controller support by default I believe. Unless they used a really old version

Psychotic
12-27-2015, 05:33 PM
It does have controller support but it's not RPG Maker.

Pete for President
12-27-2015, 06:11 PM
The soundtrack is boss. Perfect mix of piano epicness and disco bleeps and many other things.

Sephex
12-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Ya'll need to learn about JoyToKey.

http://joytokey.net/en/

For the record I did not use a controller. It's strange because I am not great a bullet hell stuff either, but I managed to clear the game without much trouble.

Vyk
12-27-2015, 10:46 PM
A small team of people made the game in RPG maker.

It does have controller support but it's not RPG Maker.
Poop

Anyway, the issue was controller support, so as long as that's there, it's all good

Has anyone that is in love with this game ever played OFF? About a baseball player cleansing some weird creepy version of an Earthbound'esque world and purify everything. Similar art style. I watched Markiplier play through it. You guys might enjoy it. I'd say it was also made in RPG Maker as well, but possibly not. I guess if either of them were made in RPG Maker, they'd have done everything from scratch

Either way, there's OFF. Its not the emotional rollercoaster this game seems to be, but people may still like it

Psychotic
12-27-2015, 10:59 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undertale GameMaker Studio. :p Same as Hotline Miami and Spelunky iirc. Has a fair bit more capability to it than RPG Maker does.

Had a look at OFF, I'd hazard a guess from the look of it that this one is an RPG Maker game. Was Mark's LP of it any good? I might start with watching that.

Sephex
12-27-2015, 11:09 PM
I thought it was RPG Maker, so that's on me. It is a similar program, though. It...uh...makes RPGs! Yeah!!

Vyk
12-27-2015, 11:40 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undertale GameMaker Studio. :p Same as Hotline Miami and Spelunky iirc. Has a fair bit more capability to it than RPG Maker does.

Had a look at OFF, I'd hazard a guess from the look of it that this one is an RPG Maker game. Was Mark's LP of it any good? I might start with watching that.
Oh, right. I've been dabbling with GameMaker Studio recently. It's really flexible to bend to whatever type of thing you want to make, and most of its commands are only marginally more difficult than learning HTML/CSS stuff

And yeah, Mark's play of OFF was kinda in his middle phase, before he got super popular, and didn't feel as much expectation from fans to do anything in particular. So he was very real while playing it, he did voices and whatnot, but it was fitting and done well. I really enjoyed it. But you probably only need to watch an episode or two to get an idea if you want to take a dive, or if it's something worth just watching an LP, or you'll realize its just not your bag. Its very easy to "get" from watching just a bit of it. The whole game just spews random insanity the whole time

Pike
12-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Man I can't figure out how to get it to work with my controller.

Oh well, I'll just shove my way through the parts of the game I'm bad at. Slowly. xD

Sephex
12-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Man I can't figure out how to get it to work with my controller.

Oh well, I'll just shove my way through the parts of the game I'm bad at. Slowly. xD

Basically, just search for the USB game controller set up and click "properties." Press all your buttons and see what does what. Then go the JoyToKey program and map the buttons to what the Undertale controls are. It seems ass backwards at first, but I basically use it for everything.

For example, instead of using a program to get my PS3 or 360 controller to work with emulators I just set up keyboard controls for an emulator and then use JoyToKey to match whatever keys I set up.

Karifean
12-28-2015, 02:41 AM
Just finished my first neutral run. I was spoiled on Flowey being the supervillain but it was still chilling as smurf. The fight with Asgore is so emotional AND THEN THIS smurfING FLOWER SHOWS UP AND RUINS EVERYTHING. Goddamnit. Incredibly good usage of game crashes though, I had a good laugh at that. Beat him on my second try. Up next would be the pacifist run. Annnd I casually saw someone say in a YouTube comment that apparently Flowey deliberately instigates you to do it to TRULY win against you? Oh well. Still looking forward to seeing it all for myself.

Sephex
12-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Just finished my first neutral run. I was spoiled on Flowey being the supervillain but it was still chilling as smurf. The fight with Asgore is so emotional AND THEN THIS smurfING FLOWER SHOWS UP AND RUINS EVERYTHING. Goddamnit. Incredibly good usage of game crashes though, I had a good laugh at that. Beat him on my second try. Up next would be the pacifist run. Annnd I casually saw someone say in a YouTube comment that apparently Flowey deliberately instigates you to do it to TRULY win against you? Oh well. Still looking forward to seeing it all for myself.

Don't worry, you'll still enjoy it. Agreed on your thoughts, btw! :)

Karifean
12-29-2015, 02:14 AM
Well, now I've also done the Pacifist Route. True Lab was probably the most chilling area of the entire game. Like wow. Everything after that... it was okay I guess. Nothing quite as memorable as Asgore smashing the Mercy button or Flowey randomly showing up to ruin everything and become a photoshop nightmare to kill you. In fact probably my favorite part was when Flowey talks to you after you reboot the game. Because I'm definitely going to be doing a true reset. Don't worry Flowey and everyone else, all I'm doing is going to a different fragment, you can still enjoy yours!

Time to become a genocidal maniac...
Edit: Oh wait. I already am; My avatar is Black Battler. Looks like I'm all set! (https://youtu.be/hg9XPcPKYAQ)

Sephex
12-29-2015, 05:24 AM
Well, now I've also done the Pacifist Route. True Lab was probably the most chilling area of the entire game. Like wow. Everything after that... it was okay I guess. Nothing quite as memorable as Asgore smashing the Mercy button or Flowey randomly showing up to ruin everything and become a photoshop nightmare to kill you. In fact probably my favorite part was when Flowey talks to you after you reboot the game. Because I'm definitely going to be doing a true reset. Don't worry Flowey and everyone else, all I'm doing is going to a different fragment, you can still enjoy yours!

Time to become a genocidal maniac...
Edit: Oh wait. I already am; My avatar is Black Battler. Looks like I'm all set! (https://youtu.be/hg9XPcPKYAQ)

See, I really loved the Pacifist ending. Don't get me wrong, the Asgore fight and the Flowey madness was absolutely awesome, but the finality of the sequences during the Pacifist ending? Man, that got to me. Also, that hug? Man on man, that destroyed me in a good way. Personally, I don't have the heart to ever do a Genocide run. I looked up everything there is to it and it is just too brutal for me. Anyway, have fun having a bad time!

Madame Adequate
12-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Pike got me a copy to replace the one I refunded and I don't know what happened but my opinion has drastically changed. I still kind of don't like the graphics much at all but man I am really enjoying it so much!

Also my controller just worked without me needing to do anything at all except pick it up :shobon:

e; I think I can only ever play Pacifist runs though. Gote Mom would be disappoint with anything else. Also I wish I could just stay with her at the start of the game :(

Karifean
01-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Finished Genocide route. Wow. That was chilling.

I remember the moment I entered the route for the first time. I was starting to get seriously bored from grinding enemies with an encounter rate that continuously gets lower and lower. Then the "But nobody came" encounter hit and instantly it was all worth the while. That eerie music, all the random monsters disappearing including helpful frogs and ghosts that used to block paths. And then you slice Toriel in half with just one attack... and she comments on how much you apparently hate her and then she realizes that in keeping you in the ruins she wasn't protecting you from the monsters, but the monsters from you... man that was an indescribable feeling.

And it only gets better from there. Other favorite moments include picking apart the Snowman ("You got the Snowman's Piece."), Buy and Sell in shops being replaced with Take and Steal, the fight screen vs Monster Kid, Flowey's lengthy monologue near the end giving some more insight into how he became the bitch he is during neutral route, and of course the final battle with Sans. Man that was a good fight. Love that kind of challenge. I was a little disappointed with the ending of the route, but eh, can't win 'em all.

The grinds were kind of annoying, but thanks to the AFK encountering trick you can circumvent the boredom at least. Still rather poorly designed IMO.

Overall I'd say the end of Neutral route was still the best part; but other than that Genocide route was easily the most memorable storyline path.

Pete for President
01-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Also I wish I could just stay with her at the start of the game :(

Same here :p

Madame Adequate
01-02-2016, 11:21 PM
The grinds were kind of annoying, but thanks to the AFK encountering trick you can circumvent the boredom at least. Still rather poorly designed IMO.

Without wishing to necessarily absolve the game, that is entirely deliberate and indeed part of the point of that route - you're supposed to question whether it's worth it. sans makes this pretty explicit in the Last Corridor on this route, and his whole gambit is exactly the same; to make you give up out of annoyance.

Sephex
01-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Now that more people have finally played and beaten the game (and/or has looked up all story paths), I can share some pretty cool stuff. I am going to spoiler tag everything because of the obvious.

Lots of awesome Undertale wallpapers. I am currently using the first person Sans one without any words. Be sure to load all of the imgur album to see them all!
http://imgur.com/a/tolsG

Aftertale. A fan comic that is very creative that centers around Sans and his knowledge of the rests. It's still currently in production, but there is plenty to read.
http://loverofpiggies.tumblr.com/post/133172875595/i-have-a-very-bad-idea-for-a-comic-or-is-it-a

Anyone who gets this will be crying with laughter.
http://i.imgur.com/3qKbgQr.png

Realistic Genocide route Sans. Terrifying picture.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kwrWA

Want to screw with the game and jump to points without actually playing through the whole thing? Here you go!
http://crumblingstatue.github.io/FloweysTimeMachine/

Karifean
01-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Without wishing to necessarily absolve the game, that is entirely deliberate and indeed part of the point of that route - you're supposed to question whether it's worth it. sans makes this pretty explicit in the Last Corridor on this route, and his whole gambit is exactly the same; to make you give up out of annoyance.

See the ironic thing here is that the Sans boss fight is not annoying or unfun at all, in fact it's the one part of the game I'm considering having a save game right before so I can redo it whenever I want. Because it's damn fun to fight him.

And, well, I don't care much if it's intended or not; I consider it bad design either way. The only justification I can imagine for intentionally boring the player is if there's a payoff for it that absolutely requires the player to have been bored for it. Genocide Route would have worked equally well (for me at least) if you cut out the boredom of grinding. Hell it doesn't even touch upon the whole thing being a time-intensive grind.

Del Murder
01-03-2016, 08:08 PM
I like how you kept the 'And, well' out of the spoiler.

Is this game coming for any sort of console?

Sephex
01-03-2016, 08:21 PM
I like how you kept the 'And, well' out of the spoiler.

Is this game coming for any sort of console?

Nothing as of now, but never say never. Though with certain things that can happen, I am not sure how they would do it.

Madame Adequate
01-04-2016, 04:08 AM
stuff

Thanks for these! I am now using some myself!

See the ironic thing here is that the Sans boss fight is not annoying or unfun at all, in fact it's the one part of the game I'm considering having a save game right before so I can redo it whenever I want. Because it's damn fun to fight him.

And, well, I don't care much if it's intended or not; I consider it bad design either way. The only justification I can imagine for intentionally boring the player is if there's a payoff for it that absolutely requires the player to have been bored for it. Genocide Route would have worked equally well (for me at least) if you cut out the boredom of grinding. Hell it doesn't even touch upon the whole thing being a time-intensive grind.

I can understand that and as I said, I wasn't necessarily trying to absolve the game of it - it might be a deliberate choice that doesn't work, that is a reasonable conclusion to draw. It is also in no way a factor in my decision to never do a Genocide Run - that is the result of the ending to the True Pacifist Run I got.

Speaking of which,

Can we talk about just how incredibly moving the True Pacifist ending is? I never thought Flowey would become such a moving and powerful character, but god damn if I don't desperately want a way to do it all again to restore Asriel. Whilst his story and all is sad enough, what really hit it home for me is when it was pointed out that Asriel Dreemurr, even as God of Hyperdeath, is completely what Asriel Dreemurr, little kid, thinks is cool and awesome - his mom, stars, and rainbows. Even after everything, even in that form, even with that power, he really is just a scared and hurt little kid.

UT did something I didn't honestly think I'd ever see a game do - it made me, with complete happiness, intend to never play it again. The game is done. It is over. I have completed it to my satisfaction and the game's structure and metaphysics means I could never bring myself to take that all away from them. I care about these idiots more than the most detailed, convoluted game with the best voice acting and photorealistic graphics.

Sephex
01-04-2016, 04:59 AM
stuff

Thanks for these! I am now using some myself!

I can understand that and as I said, I wasn't necessarily trying to absolve the game of it - it might be a deliberate choice that doesn't work, that is a reasonable conclusion to draw. It is also in no way a factor in my decision to never do a Genocide Run - that is the result of the ending to the True Pacifist Run I got.

Speaking of which,

Can we talk about just how incredibly moving the True Pacifist ending is? I never thought Flowey would become such a moving and powerful character, but god damn if I don't desperately want a way to do it all again to restore Asriel. Whilst his story and all is sad enough, what really hit it home for me is when it was pointed out that Asriel Dreemurr, even as God of Hyperdeath, is completely what Asriel Dreemurr, little kid, thinks is cool and awesome - his mom, stars, and rainbows. Even after everything, even in that form, even with that power, he really is just a scared and hurt little kid.

UT did something I didn't honestly think I'd ever see a game do - it made me, with complete happiness, intend to never play it again. The game is done. It is over. I have completed it to my satisfaction and the game's structure and metaphysics means I could never bring myself to take that all away from them. I care about these idiots more than the most detailed, convoluted game with the best voice acting and photorealistic graphics.

I fucking cried like a baby when Frisk hugs Asriel. Well, the game gives you the option, but I don't see how anyone who isn't trying to be a total edgelord can refuse forgiving him and hugging him. Then during the ending I was crying just because it was so heartwarming to see everyone achieve their dreams. And the music, man. Everything.

That said, I don't mind restarting the game and playing through it again, but I never will heave the heart to do a Genocide run. I just can't do it. I looked up the YouTube stuff. That was too much. I don't care if Flowey thinks I am "sicker" for "watching it happen." I disagree with that. Nope, buddy, in MY timelines, everything gets put back into place the proper way!

Psychotic
01-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Yep, I'm like you guys in as much as I did the True Pacifist ending and now don't want to pick it up again and ruin it. I know it's just a game and none of it matters etc. but hey the game is doing its job because that's how it wants you to feel! I still haven't done Genocide and I've been toying with it. There's some good content and music I know I'm missing out on but then like... do I really want to murder the hell out of all of these awesome characters? Like, what do I get out of that?

Fynn
01-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Just dropping in to say (while avoiding spoilers) that I'm getting more and more eager to try this game out, especially in light of my recent playthrough of Dragon Quest. I also try to avoid all hype because I find that often just ruins games for me - Ace Attorney and FE: Awakening are two such examples that were in some ways very underwhelming for me, even though both are hyped as hell.

Pike
01-05-2016, 07:14 PM
I am slooowly working my way through this game (I am bad, bad, BAD at bullet hell. You guys would be embarrassed if I told you how many times I've died so far.)

Anyways the game just took the piss out of Final Fantasy VI and I haven't laughed this hard at a video game in years

Pete for President
01-05-2016, 07:20 PM

This is what I feel like when I listen to the Dark Side of the Moon :shifty:

Sephex
01-05-2016, 09:46 PM
I am slooowly working my way through this game (I am bad, bad, BAD at bullet hell. You guys would be embarrassed if I told you how many times I've died so far.)

Anyways the game just took the piss out of Final Fantasy VI and I haven't laughed this hard at a video game in years

I did as well. Also, pro tip:

Find Temmie village and buy the Temmie Armor. It starts out at 9999 to buy, but the price cuts in half whenever you die, I think. If I am correct it should be super cheap for you and it is the best armor in the game. Should make things easier.

Karifean
01-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Well technically The Locket is the best armor in the game, not that it matters =P

Sephex
01-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Well technically The Locket is the best armor in the game, not that it matters =P

I could have sworn that the Temmie Armor had the better DEF stat. Also, I think the Temmie Armor restores HP. I never used it myself, so this is coming from a vague memory of watching a Let's Play of it.

Karifean
01-06-2016, 01:21 PM

I could have sworn that the Temmie Armor had the better DEF stat. Also, I think the Temmie Armor restores HP. I never used it myself, so this is coming from a vague memory of watching a Let's Play of it.

Ah you might have misunderstood. In a normal run the items you get are the Worn Dagger and the Heart Locket, giving 15 AT and 15 DF respectively. Usually the best equipment, but the Temy Armor is indeed better than the Heart Locket.

If on the other hand you're doing a Genocide run, you will find the Real Knife and The Locket instead. With 99 AT and 99 DF respectively. Too bad the only enemy you fight past obtaining these items renders your AT and DF meaningless.

Sephex
01-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Ah you might have misunderstood. In a normal run the items you get are the Worn Dagger and the Heart Locket, giving 15 AT and 15 DF respectively. Usually the best equipment, but the Temy Armor is indeed better than the Heart Locket.

If on the other hand you're doing a Genocide run, you will find the Real Knife and The Locket instead. With 99 AT and 99 DF respectively. Too bad the only enemy you fight past obtaining these items renders your AT and DF meaningless.

Oh, right, I should have called that. While I normally haven't experienced that I did look it up, so I should have remembered regardless!

Pike
01-07-2016, 09:48 PM
DEAR DIARY TODAY I CRIED BECAUSE A COUPLE OF PIXELS TOLD ME THEY WERE MY FRIENDS

Sephex
01-07-2016, 09:51 PM
DEAR DIARY TODAY I CRIED BECAUSE A COUPLE OF PIXELS TOLD ME THEY WERE MY FRIENDS

*hugs*

http://41.media.tumblr.com/32868f2b5b8cacefa0f98739273e071c/tumblr_inline_nxxvak6kTQ1qjiqux_500.png

Hollycat
01-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Finished this a few days ago, an amazing game, and the use of the steam cloud saves is interesting. I'd love to see a spiritual successor with the same kind of combat and story.

Sephex
01-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Finished this a few days ago, an amazing game, and the use of the steam cloud saves is interesting. I'd love to see a spiritual successor with the same kind of combat and story.

Toby Fox heavily implied on Twitter that he was going to work on something new soon, so who knows where that will go.

Hollycat
01-07-2016, 10:08 PM

Toby Fox heavily implied on Twitter that he was going to work on something new soon, so who knows where that will go.
Considering how massive a success it has been I would be shocked if he quit after Undertale.

Pike
01-07-2016, 11:21 PM
For the record I cried, like, three different times.

Once when you had like one HP left and suddenly all your friends and previous monsters showed up to help.

Once during the very end of Asriel fight when he kept asking why you were doing this, and kept trying to kill you, until you were down to like 0.00000001 HP or whatever.

And then finally the very end when you choose to stay with Goat Mom (that's what I did, at least) and she brings you pie.

I don't know how I can bring myself to play this game again. The characters are all happy now and I don't want to like, reverse that. Goddamnit Flowey.

Anyways doing that whole game without a controller was a pain in the ass, I died an embarrassing amount of times. WORTH IT.

Hollycat
01-07-2016, 11:26 PM
For the record I cried, like, three different times.

Once when you had like one HP left and suddenly all your friends and previous monsters showed up to help.

Once during the very end of Asriel fight when he kept asking why you were doing this, and kept trying to kill you, until you were down to like 0.00000001 HP or whatever.

And then finally the very end when you choose to stay with Goat Mom (that's what I did, at least) and she brings you pie.

I don't know how I can bring myself to play this game again. The characters are all happy now and I don't want to like, reverse that. Goddamnit Flowey.

Anyways doing that whole game without a controller was a pain in the ass, I died an embarrassing amount of times. WORTH IT.
best bullet hell/rpg

Sephex
01-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Massive Genocide run spoilers:

http://the-orator.tumblr.com/post/135268139668/ha-this-time-i-got-you-now-youre

Karifean
01-08-2016, 10:38 PM

Such a chilling moment... then again Genocide run is full of moments like this :D

Hollycat
01-08-2016, 11:05 PM

An amazing moment.

Karifean
01-09-2016, 12:58 AM
This neutral ending sequence (spoilers, obviously) (https://youtu.be/xCm-D26sE8s?t=6m55s) is probably my favorite scene in the game. It's this perfect blend of comedic and serious that makes the neutral ending so special to me. Something about the whole atmosphere of "yeah... it didn't really go well" and being told how the underground you left behind, whatever you may have done to it, evolves just hits me hard.

Sephex
01-09-2016, 06:41 AM
The music for that sequence is just awesome. This is a great cover of it.

U9nvZm5mAAk

Sephex
01-10-2016, 06:42 PM
p99DVdZDWzg

Why god.

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 06:44 PM
p99DVdZDWzg

Why god.
That. Was. Awesome.

Psychotic
01-10-2016, 06:51 PM
hahahhaahhahaahahha oh god i'm just at the start where the singing starts oh god why hahahahaha

Pike
01-10-2016, 07:06 PM
This is now a video thread

npJIaNi42cw

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Has anyone seen the Undertale Red fangame? Here's the Genocide Version
qW0voPia9Mg

Psychotic
01-10-2016, 07:09 PM
THERE'S A WHOLE FUCKING BLOG OF THESE THINGS

http://skelebros-covers-nobody-wanted.tumblr.com/Skelecovers

FUCK YES

Pike
01-10-2016, 07:11 PM
http://skelebros-covers-nobody-wanted.tumblr.com/post/134866812003/these-guys-are-back

this is the best thing I've ever heard ok

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 07:12 PM
THERE'S A WHOLE smurfING BLOG OF THESE THINGS

http://skelebros-covers-nobody-wanted.tumblr.com/Skelecovers

smurf YES
Well I know what I'm doing today!

also
ETPaoR1WfDo

Pike
01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
waiT I TAKE IT BACK

http://skelebros-covers-nobody-wanted.tumblr.com/post/134023458673/wowie-i-didnt-know-humans-admired-skeletons-so

Sephex
01-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Following this thread now is like

http://i.imgur.com/sUjHAqe.gif

Psychotic
I'm rather partial to Sans nailing All Star myself!

Madame Adequate
http://skelebros-covers-nobody-wanted.tumblr.com/post/136412999908

only dogsong 10 hour is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHhWBcGhltc

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 07:18 PM
I'm rather partial to Sans nailing All Star myself!
He'd make for a nicer Shrek.

Sephex
01-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Behind you...

http://41.media.tumblr.com/a81a1fc256e1128d8a66e8e99e1efc44/tumblr_nz0locEpFp1qggipfo1_1280.png

Pike
01-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Well, it's time to post this.

tU3el-Kk8Fw

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Well, it's time to post this.

tU3el-Kk8Fw
Noooo, not Muffet....

Sephex
01-10-2016, 07:55 PM
This thread now:

http://i.imgur.com/GrkueYZ.gif

Pike
01-13-2016, 05:17 PM
ibPhAOLXPRI

Sephex
01-14-2016, 12:20 AM
Pike, as promised, here is that cover I was talking about the other day. OHHHHH YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

KHhe8begOQk

blackmage_nuke
01-21-2016, 02:00 AM
I just finished it and curious as I am I don't really want to play the genocide route now.

Pike
01-21-2016, 07:44 PM
I just finished it and curious as I am I don't really want to play the genocide route now.

Yeah welcome to the club. I think most of the thread is in the same boat.

Sephex
01-21-2016, 08:14 PM

Yeah welcome to the club. I think most of the thread is in the same boat.

I can't let Sans down, man.

Pike
01-21-2016, 08:51 PM
(Also I'm going to bet right now that I couldn't beat Sans even if I wanted to)

Sephex
01-21-2016, 09:14 PM
(Also I'm going to bet right now that I couldn't beat Sans even if I wanted to)

POCKET SANS!!!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/031/336/414.png

Psychotic
01-21-2016, 10:33 PM
I got an update for this. What is it? SEPHEX TELL ME AT ONCE

Sephex
01-21-2016, 10:38 PM
I got an update for this. What is it? SEPHEX TELL ME AT ONCE

Toby just patched a few things. Spoiler tagging it because of obvious reasons.

Toby released a Version 1.001 patch.
https://twitter.com/FwugRadiation/status/689618596356583426

If you own the Steam version of Undertale, you can follow these instructions in order to activate the update.
https://twitter.com/UnderTale/status/689622702638899200

List of known changes:
- Blue attacks are a different shade of blue, one that's easier for colorblind people to see.
- Sans no longer says his 4th battle intro opening variation. (Now he repeats the 3rd variation where he says "ready?" before doing his opening attack.)
- Temmie has new Check dialogue.
- The piano puzzle will show you the solution if you wait long enough in the statue room. It floats in and out of existence above the statue's head.
- Sans's first drawer in his secret secret room has altered dialogue.
- Additional dialogue occurs if you select "Fight" on the Annoying Dog in the dog room.
- The "abc_123_a" sound file has been altered.

Screenshot Album
http://imgur.com/a/LFjJs

List of update changes from this Reddit topic. If you discover any new ones, please contribute.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/41srg0/changes_in_the_beta_build/

black orb
01-25-2016, 03:46 AM
>>> Never played the game and I dont have a clue about it.. All I know is that their fandom is fucking everywhere and is driving me nuts!! :luca:

Sephex
01-25-2016, 05:19 AM
>>> Never played the game and I dont have a clue about it.. All I know is that their fandom is fucking everywhere and is driving me nuts!! :luca:

As a huge fan of the game I absolutely agree with this. I know that I've been patting this game's back too hard, but most other fans makes me look like a simple dude with a tiny flag quietly cheering for the game compared to how far the hardcore fans take it. It's a shame because the game is really good, and the cult-like mentality is really turning a lot of people off who weren't lucky to play it during the first month or so.

black orb
01-25-2016, 07:38 AM
It's a shame because the game is really good, and the cult-like mentality is really turning a lot of people off who weren't lucky to play it during the first month or so.
>>> This is true, I will probably play the game when all the Undertale madness stop :D..:luca:

Galuf
02-19-2016, 03:04 PM
alot of characters made me think especially Dr Alphys. also that flowey fight. :eek: DA HELL WAS THAT THING!!??

Fynn
04-04-2016, 02:52 PM
*casts animate dead*

So the wife and I started playing this yesterday. Beat the prologue.Had to look up how to spare Toriel because we really could not figure this out. When we finally did beat her, Flowey comes in and breaks the fourth wall and now I'm worried I won't get the true ending because I killed her and reloaded? God, I hope that's not the case.

Anyway, it's really fun so far and I love the atmosphere and we are both pretty sucked in. I was wary about this game because it's one of those things that gets this super invasive fanbase that just kicks you in the shins for not knowing it and calling it the Second Coming of Christ or something. but yeah, now that that's simmered down, I can take a deep breath and just enjoy this :)

Galuf
04-04-2016, 03:33 PM
its a great game with an obnoxious fans :(

Pike
04-04-2016, 06:48 PM
It's one of those games that just improves the more you play it, too. :D

Sephex
04-04-2016, 09:58 PM
*casts animate dead*

So the wife and I started playing this yesterday. Beat the prologue.Had to look up how to spare Toriel because we really could not figure this out. When we finally did beat her, Flowey comes in and breaks the fourth wall and now I'm worried I won't get the true ending because I killed her and reloaded? God, I hope that's not the case.

Anyway, it's really fun so far and I love the atmosphere and we are both pretty sucked in. I was wary about this game because it's one of those things that gets this super invasive fanbase that just kicks you in the shins for not knowing it and calling it the Second Coming of Christ or something. but yeah, now that that's simmered down, I can take a deep breath and just enjoy this :)

You'll be alright, don't worry.

But yeah, as big as I got into Undertale, it has grown to the point where the hardcore fans seemingly try to ruin it for other people. I've actually backed off on talking about it (unless it gets brought up like in this instance) because of that.

Pumpkin
05-23-2016, 07:43 PM
*casts revive again*

I got the game but haven't gotten very far. I scare easily and that beginning gave me trust issues forever. I'm excited to see where it goes though

Fynn
07-25-2016, 02:45 PM
*revive AGAIN*

So, beat this last Saturday. True Pacifist.

I am on board with everyone else who said that they don't want to beat it ever again.

I honestly feel as if I got a part of my childhood back. How is this even possible!

Sephex
07-27-2016, 01:45 PM
*revive AGAIN*

So, beat this last Saturday. True Pacifist.

I am on board with everyone else who said that they don't want to beat it ever again.

I honestly feel as if I got a part of my childhood back. How is this even possible!

Oh, I have been summoned!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it! I have beaten it a few times (pacifist only) just because I enjoy the game that much. And I know the positive feeling you have. I felt as if I just played a fresh SNES game, a feeling I never thought I'd ever have again. I am sure I said that in this thread somewhere months back.

And as I also said before in the thread, it's a shame that the Undertale fan community and some YouTubers have been playing it out for everyone else or those who haven't played it (helloooooo Game Theory), but it is what it is.

Karifean
07-27-2016, 02:37 PM
I haven't replayed it since my first time going through all the routes, but I imagine if I ever replay the game I'd probably just do Neutral and Genocide runs ^^;

Psychotic
07-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Having seen Genocide runs on YouTube I don't have the heart to do it. And Sans would absolutely mash me.

Pumpkin
07-27-2016, 04:19 PM
I liked Muffet and Papyrus :jess:

Fynn
07-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I think I liked everyone which makes it a nightmare to come up with an order for them in my review!

Sephex
07-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Having seen Genocide runs on YouTube I don't have the heart to do it. And Sans would absolutely mash me.

Same here. Just...I can't. I can't do that.

Having said that, I do believe I would be able to beat Sans with enough practice and if I had optimal items.

Pike
07-27-2016, 07:00 PM
I still don't understand how like ten hours in this game had me crying like a baby at the end and like, hundreds of hours into other story heavy games didn't.

That's just nuts man.

Fynn
07-27-2016, 07:19 PM
I blame Asriel's "Don't let it end!"

Sephex
07-27-2016, 07:49 PM
As I have said before, that hug destroyed me.

Fynn
07-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Yes

Pike
07-27-2016, 11:49 PM
for me it was everyone showing up and saying that they believed in you and that you could do it :whimper:

Pumpkin
07-28-2016, 04:36 AM
I took an Undertale character sorter (http://undertalecharactersorter.tumblr.com/) and this is what I got:

http://i.imgur.com/rygqlSB.png

Vermachtnis
07-28-2016, 04:59 AM
That character sort was fun. Here's who I ranked.

http://i.imgur.com/IeSVkRO.png

Fynn
07-28-2016, 05:47 AM
wow, you guys both have Alphys so low and she's definitely one of my top 5, I think XD

Pumpkin
07-28-2016, 06:05 AM
Yeah I didn't like her very much

Fynn
07-28-2016, 06:12 AM
:G

Also, don't know about you guys but I believe Chara/the Fallen Child is actually the narrator all along and only becomes evil and murderous of that's the path you make them go down in the game. It makes much more sense to me than them being evil from the start and fits the game's theme a lot better.

And here's my character thingy, apparently http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o509/Paplyk/Undertale.png

Pike
07-28-2016, 10:26 AM
How can people not like Alphys wtf she's like the best character in the entire game

Mostly because she reminds me of me

Fynn
07-28-2016, 10:47 AM
She is insanely relatable. Basically, the well-meaning but very flawed character is usually one of my favorites.

Karifean
07-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Here's my results from the character sorter. No big surprises there.

https://i.imgur.com/aKzOolG.png

Fynn
07-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Why is my table the only one that looks like shit XD

Sephex
07-29-2016, 03:02 PM
https://i.redd.it/m5h5y6c0c3cx.jpg

Fynn
07-29-2016, 03:08 PM
So let's talk shipping!

I honestly can't understand the Soriel ship. Sans and Toriel clearly have a nice dynamic, but honestly, I can't see Sans ever putting in the effort of being in a relationship with someone, and I like the idea of them being very much soulmates but in a very platonic way. Plus, a mutual love of puns alone does not a good couple make.

Not to mention, I just so want Toriel and Asgore to get back together since they clearly are still very hurt over the whole deal and haven't really had a chance to talk it out. Now that things have simmered down, maybe Toriel can put her anger behind her? I mean, it's just so heartbreaking how Asgore built a new home that;s identical to the old one, and how clearly they need each other - she can't tend to her plants while he can't make a pie to save his life.

I just really, really hope there's a new beginning for them in the future. Judging by the epilogue and how he's a gardener at the school Toriel teaches him, I want to believe there's a chance that will happen.

And Alphys and Undyne are just insanely adorable so yeah.

Psychotic
07-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Yup, all aboard the Toriel and Asgore getting back together train.

Sephex
07-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Yup, all aboard the Toriel and Asgore getting back together train.

I'd ship it so hard it would never find port again.

Pike
07-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Reminder that if you go to Google Maps and type in "Undyne" you get a sushi place in London named Sexy Fish.

Pumpkin
07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
I mean I also think Asgore and Toriel should get back together, but I also think we should respect where Toriel is coming from and what she went through, not to mention how hard it probably was on her also to try and move on from him and everything. I think she should put her anger aside and they should be friends and learn to care for each other again, but who knows if that's what's right for her is to get back with him after all of that, you know?

Fynn
07-29-2016, 04:13 PM
I mean I also think Asgore and Toriel should get back together, but I also think we should respect where Toriel is coming from and what she went through, not to mention how hard it probably was on her also to try and move on from him and everything. I think she should put her anger aside and they should be friends and learn to care for each other again, but who knows if that's what's right for her is to get back with him after all of that, you know?

I mean, I get that. It's just that aside from the incredible loss, the break-up stemmed from a pretty impulsive reaction to different things on both sides. With Asgore trying so desperately to rebuild it, I think it would be fair for Toriel to at least give him a chance after she's simmered down and decided to open herself up to him again.

I can definietly see that happening as something consentual on both ends, is what I mean.

Also, Asgore totally wants to be Frisk's daddy just as much as Toriel wants to be his mom. Not that that's a reason to start a relationship again, just another fun thing they have in common XD

Pike
08-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Soundtrack is on Spotify now!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5igTFdgbS1jxBpBufbcQA6

Sephex
08-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Soundtrack is on Spotify now!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5igTFdgbS1jxBpBufbcQA6

Indeed it is. I've been listening to it on lunch at work for weeks now! Everyone looks at me strange when I randomly stand up and yell, "DETERMINATION!!!!!"

Sephex
08-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Genocide Run http://orig14.deviantart.net/f3d5/f/2016/073/9/2/it_s_me__chara___undertale_spoilers__by_zeon_in_a_tree-d9v290c.jpg

Night Fury
10-04-2016, 06:56 AM
So I'm about an hour into this. I didn't realise that you didn't have to kill Toriel, so.... welp. I would start over to undo it, but honestly I will just play the game through as I am.

DON'T SHAME ME.

Psychotic
10-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Don't feel bad, so did I. I just had to reload my save game! :) The game still found a way to make me feel like a piece of trash for it though.

Fynn
10-04-2016, 11:02 AM
I can confirm that as well. Flowey will make you question your motives for doing so anyway. And it stings really bad.

But yeah, it's really hard to figure out what to do to avoid that at that point.

Night Fury
10-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Urgh. This game is just annoying the shit out of me now so I'm killing everything. #sorryboutit

Karifean
10-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Urgh. This game is just annoying the trout out of me now so I'm killing everything. #sorryboutit

This is the right way to play Undertale :jess:

Galuf
10-09-2016, 01:29 AM
Undertale is a dish best served cold.

or hot.

or neither.

(Think thats all the areas)

Sephex
10-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Urgh. This game is just annoying the shit out of me now so I'm killing everything. #sorryboutit

No worries. Trying not to kill anything for a first run is tough for some people. If you have enough...Determination...it is worth finishing the game in that fashion, however.

KentaRawr!
12-02-2016, 01:55 AM
I played this recently and greatly enjoyed it. :)

Del Murder
12-02-2016, 05:09 PM
I realize the mechanics of this game make it virtually impossible to port to any other system, but I just don't PC game at all and would really like to try this. :(

Fynn
12-02-2016, 06:23 PM
If you have any type of working PC, you can run it. Seriously, this will run on a potato.

Pike
12-03-2016, 10:42 AM
It's also possible to play without a controller if you don't have one. You can beat the whole thing with a keyboard. (I did, and it was rough, but I did it, haha.)

Momiji
12-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Undertale was GOTY for me in 2015. I really do like it a lot, but after going through it again, I've noticed that once you know all the mechanics and plot twists, a lot of the impact of the story is lost. It's a fantastic game and definitely up there on a list of treasured games for me, but that's it's one solid flaw-- the game's true value lies in playing it blind. It's a bit of a shame that the impact of the narrative revolves around what is not known.

Just a minor fuss I have about it, now that I've returned to the game a year later. Such a great game though.

Jinx
12-19-2017, 01:29 AM
Sans fucking sucks, Papyrus is goddamn EVERYTHING, I wish you could kill Alphys outright, and Asgore murdered innocent children, he does not deserve Toriel and she's right for hating him.

Pete for President
12-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Sans smurfing sucks, Papyrus is goddamn EVERYTHING, I wish you could kill Alphys outright, and Asgore murdered innocent children, he does not deserve Toriel and she's right for hating him.

Did we play the same game? :0

Fynn
12-19-2017, 12:18 PM
It’s just how Jinx does things!

Jinx
12-19-2017, 02:44 PM
I really like Asgore, I don’t think he’s bad. But Toriel wasn’t okay with him killing innocent kids, which IS TOTALLY REASONABLE.

Fynn
12-19-2017, 03:00 PM
That’s... not exactly her reason if you’re on the true ending path. Rather, she was more upset he didn’t actually have the guts to do it, but also wouldn’t back down on his promise to get the monsters to the surface. So it’s less that she left him because he decided to kill kids, but rather because he’s an indecisive smurf

Jinx
12-19-2017, 03:46 PM
That’s... not exactly her reason if you’re on the true ending path. Rather, she was more upset he didn’t actually have the guts to do it, but also wouldn’t back down on his promise to get the monsters to the surface. So it’s less that she left him because he decided to kill kids, but rather because he’s an indecisive smurf

Yeah, she tells him that he could have gone ahead himself and gotten souls and brought them back. Toriel has never shown herself to be anything but loving, so I still think she would have judged him had he chosen the souls of children, versus, say, someone who was dying and would willingly give up theirs.

Narratively, the monsters trying to escape is weird anyways, because it doesn't seem like all that long ago they were forced underground in the first place. Or maybe monsters just have really, really long life spans!

Psychotic
12-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Were they actually kids he killed? I always assumed they were adults with professions as you find their equipment and each of their heals during the final showdown are flavoured around this, eg the chef, the ballerina, and so on.

Jinx
12-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Were they actually kids he killed? I always assumed they were adults with professions as you find their equipment and each of their heals during the final showdown are flavoured around this, eg the chef, the ballerina, and so on.

I just kind of assumed it was kids wearing stuff, but you're probably right. In any case, is killing an innocent adult THAT much better? I mean, we're assuming that these people didn't just come in an kill a bunch of people.

Psychotic
12-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Oh yeah no I agree with you on the morals of it. I'd just always had it in my head that they were adults so I just wanted to know if you knew something I didn't.

But on those morals, Asgore's in an impossible situation. He didn't stuff the monsters down there, and he didn’t set up the 7 human soul barrier either, that was all imposed on him. His people are ostensibly suffering down there and he’s responsible for them. What else can he do? It’s one of those lesser of two evils situations. Either way is pretty horrible but I can’t really judge someone for choosing either path.

Jinx
12-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah no I agree with you on the morals of it. I'd just always had it in my head that they were adults so I just wanted to know if you knew something I didn't.

But on those morals, Asgore's in an impossible situation. He didn't stuff the monsters down there, and he didn’t set up the 7 human soul barrier either, that was all imposed on him. His people are ostensibly suffering down there and he’s responsible for them. What else can he do? It’s one of those lesser of two evils situations. Either way is pretty horrible but I can’t really judge someone for choosing either path.

Nor can I, and as I said, I do really like Asgore. He's easily one of my favorite characters. It's very clear he takes no joy in it, and even allows you time to leave to take care of your matters (or escape, really) if you need to do things. In another time he would've been your friend (and in another time, he IS your friend).

I was just saying that I don't blame Toriel for leaving him. Her reasons are justified, even if he did what he did (or didn't do, as Fynn said) without malice. Her reasons for leaving were solid, and aren't the kind of reasons you go back on--especially someone like Toriel who is easily the kindest and most pacifist monster in the whole game. And honestly, I really like that it wasn't concrete they got back together. Sure, Asgore tends flowers outside her school, so it sort of implies it, but she outright tells him she isn't coming back. It's also sad, though, because they are both so lovable, and so was Asriel, and Chara just smurfing decimated that family in every way.

Also, I really like you can't save Asriel. His fate is heartbreaking, but you can't save everyone.

And nah, no special info! Just like you, I just always assumed the ages of the other humans. xD Maybe because Toriel is so mothering, it's odd to think of her doting on another adult.

Psychotic
12-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Again my interpretation was that Frisk was the first human to encounter Toriel simply because she told Sans to look after a human that came through the door, implying Frisk was the first.

On that note, how the hell can you hate San? And Mettaton? And while I don't love Alphys, I don't think she's particularly hateable either. I demand answers!

Jinx
12-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Again my interpretation was that Frisk was the first human to encounter Toriel simply because she told Sans to look after a human that came through the door, implying Frisk was the first.

On that note, how the hell can you hate San? And Mettaton? And while I don't love Alphys, I don't think she's particularly hateable either. I demand answers!

I don't hate Sans, I just don't like him. He's so blase about everything, it makes me disinterested in him as a character. I'll say this--I'm watching a genocide playthrough, and that's where he shines. The fact he's willing to spare you after everything you've done makes him much more interesting.

Mettaton is annoying and not funny. Alphys is a drip and every scene she's in is damn near insufferable. Also, she's incredibly manipulative.

Psychotic
12-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Yeah I agree that Genocide Sans is really interesting, especially with his fourth wall breaking knowledge and how he tried to fix things.

Mettatton is too funny :colbert: Everything he touches is comedy gold. Celes scene knocked it out of the fucking park.

Jinx
12-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Yeah I agree that Genocide Sans is really interesting, especially with his fourth wall breaking knowledge and how he tried to fix things.

Mettatton is too funny :colbert: Everything he touches is comedy gold. Celes scene knocked it out of the smurfing park.

Okay, yeah, that scene was great. Overall though just ugghhhh. His game show personality grates on me. I'm surprised, I had assumed I would love him, and I didn't. I also assumed I'd hate Papyrus, and he's my favorite.

Psychotic
12-19-2017, 05:46 PM
What do you think of Undyne? I didn't really like her up until the WE'RE GOING TO BE BEST FRIENDS!!! scene which was tremendous.

Jinx
12-19-2017, 05:50 PM
What do you think of Undyne? I didn't really like her up until the WE'RE GOING TO BE BEST FRIENDS!!! scene which was tremendous.

Yeah, I was the same. She's great after that, though. I identify with the way she's kind of a dick to the people she loves. Also she's very contrary.

MJN SEIFER
12-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Sans smurfing sucks, Papyrus is goddamn EVERYTHING Yeah, I personally don't see why Sans ended up being one of the most popular characters - I'll admit I haven't played Undertale and only watched one Let's Play of the whole game, but within that Let's Play, Sans was barely noticeable in the whole thing; he was just there appearing in every(?) town, but not really doing anything. Maybe the YouTubers didn't bother to talk to him or do things with him much or something, but he never did anything that made him standout, while Papyrus was much more an actual character - in fact, I think they all were, compared to Sans.

No hate, it's just my turn to not get the popularity of a character. It is worth noting I've only seen a pacifist playthrough - I know there's an epic battle with him, if you do genocide.

Sephex
12-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Damn, it really sucks that the hype backlash on this game has claimed Sans and that since so many people like him, it seems that fans that are giving the game a shot feel obligated to hate him or say that he's overrated. Once again, I am so glad I caught this game before it got huge so I was able to approach it with a completely clean slate.

Anyway, I like Sans because as a person who like saying bad puns or using creative word play, that's what drew me to him at first. I also like that based on all the weird things he does, you slowly realize that he's self-aware of what is going on in Undertale. And as much as the fanbase has fucking ruined the music and the concept of the boss fight with Sans at the end of the Genocide route, that whole sequence is still cool and very challenging when you first come across it. There is also a lot of mystery and underlying backstory connected to him, and that kind of stuff was my favorite things about old RPGs, which Undertale is trying to echo.

But nope. Everyone wants to circle jerk to his boss fight song and draw bad fan art of him crying his eyes out for Papyrus with his blue eye glowing brighter than 1000 suns. I'm not surprised new Undertale fans turn his nose up to him thanks to the melodramatic fanbase.

Psychotic
12-20-2017, 03:25 PM
I keep hearing that Undertale's fan base is horrible and that there's some mind scarring things out there but on the whole I've not really seen it.

I was searching the soundtrack on YouTube and did see something called Undertale: The Musical and my first thought was "oh here we go" but it wasn't too bad actually. They'd just covered the OST with some fan lyrics (some kind of bad but some decent) and I ended up watching it all.

I also understand there's one with original songs and people dressed up as characters and I don't think I could stomach the cringe on that.

Fynn
12-20-2017, 03:28 PM
I loved sans because even on the pacifist run you could see that aside from Flowey he was the only person aware of the fourth wall and he’s show up in random places. Then the random threatening lines clashed with his regular happy-go-lucky demeanor so well that overall he just made a huge impression and made you wonder what exactly he is throughout

maybee
12-21-2017, 12:26 PM
I keep hearing that Undertale's fan base is horrible and that there's some mind scarring things out there but on the whole I've not really seen it.

Most of it is on Deviant Art & Tumblr. Just some really strange and disturbing fanarts, and fans saying things like " Sans is a transgender demi female lesbian, and if you disagree with me, you are transphobic and homophobic, and you should die" !!!! etc

Fynn
12-21-2017, 01:03 PM
I mean, the annoying thing about it that I encountered was how everybody was yelling in your face about how it’s the best thing since slice bread and yet refused to say anything about it. Pretty frustrating

Jinx
12-21-2017, 01:42 PM
Apparently some people get incredibly angry and abusive if you play the Genocide route, as well.

Like, yeah, it's mostly the Tumblr crowd that ruins the game for people. And furries.

Karifean
12-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Which sucks because the Genocide route is like where Undertale is kind of narratively really unique and awesome.

Psychotic
12-21-2017, 07:16 PM

Most of it is on Deviant Art & Tumblr. Just some really strange and disturbing fanarts, and fans saying things like " Sans is a transgender demi female lesbian, and if you disagree with me, you are transphobic and homophobic, and you should die" !!!! etcI looked into this because I didn't think it could possibly be true and I am so sorry for doubting you. God damnit Tumblr.

Fynn
12-21-2017, 07:46 PM
tumblr has no chill what can i say

but it’s not all bad, to be fair

Del Murder
12-21-2017, 07:50 PM
I couldn't bring myself to play Genocide even though that's like 1/3 of the story. I wouldn't feel good about doing it, though I do want to try the Sans battle.

Psychotic
12-21-2017, 07:57 PM
I couldn't bring myself to play Genocide even though that's like 1/3 of the story. I wouldn't feel good about doing it, though I do want to try the Sans battle.Now you can: https://jcw87.github.io/c2-sans-fight/

Spoiler warning: you're gonna have a bad time.

Sephex
12-21-2017, 08:10 PM
I mean, the annoying thing about it that I encountered was how everybody was yelling in your face about how it’s the best thing since slice bread and yet refused to say anything about it. Pretty frustrating

To be fair it is because explaining almost anything this game has to offer would ruin the experience. Back when it was new most fans simply enjoyed the game and were asking people to take a chance on it simply because they didn't want to tarnish the experience. I love Undertale, but it really hinges on not knowing what the player is getting into exactly the first time through.

Karifean
12-21-2017, 08:13 PM
I don't think it hinges on that quite that much. Like sure the cool things it does are more cool when you don't know they're coming, but it's not what makes Undertale a great game, IMO.

Jinx
12-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Oh, Tumblr. Never change. :^)

http://i.imgur.com/mZjzYTe.png

Fynn
12-21-2017, 09:08 PM
That’s... definitely a thing that exists

Oh my God

Psychotic
12-21-2017, 10:06 PM
I don't want to be too cruel as it's obviously socially isolated young people making stuff like that and they clearly put a lot of heart and soul into its creation, but I'd really love to know how they came to some of these conclusions. How do you get all of that from the Mad Dummy with its, what, three lines of dialogue?

Slothy
12-21-2017, 11:30 PM
To be fair it is because explaining almost anything this game has to offer would ruin the experience. Back when it was new most fans simply enjoyed the game and were asking people to take a chance on it simply because they didn't want to tarnish the experience. I love Undertale, but it really hinges on not knowing what the player is getting into exactly the first time through.

I've known dick all about undertale since it came out despite seeming popular so I've never looked into it much. But seeing you describe it like this and seeing as it's on sale right now I said fuck it and bought it. Gonna give it a go once I get the chance.

Jinx
12-22-2017, 12:29 AM
I don't want to be too cruel as it's obviously socially isolated young people making stuff like that and they clearly put a lot of heart and soul into its creation, but I'd really love to know how they came to some of these conclusions. How do you get all of that from the Mad Dummy with its, what, three lines of dialogue?

It's my understanding that someone made the art (which is really good, and I really enjoy their interpretations of the characters!) and someone added all of the tags later.

I've known dick all about undertale since it came out despite seeming popular so I've never looked into it much. But seeing you describe it like this and seeing as it's on sale right now I said smurf it and bought it. Gonna give it a go once I get the chance.

Knowing you, I really think you'll enjoy this game a lot.

Slothy
12-22-2017, 01:14 AM

I've known dick all about undertale since it came out despite seeming popular so I've never looked into it much. But seeing you describe it like this and seeing as it's on sale right now I said smurf it and bought it. Gonna give it a go once I get the chance.

I guess I'll need to play it to figure out quite how to take that. :lol:

Jinx
12-22-2017, 01:18 AM

Literally for once in the six years you've know me, I'm not insulting you. :lol:

Slothy
12-22-2017, 02:00 AM

Literally for once in the six years you've know me, I'm not insulting you. :lol:

Had to happen sooner or later. :lol:

Scotty_ffgamer
12-22-2017, 04:08 AM
I own this game but still have yet to play it. I still know pretty much nothing about the game too, surprisingly. I just can’t play stuff as comfortably on my computer right now, but I might have to try giving this game a go after the holidays.

Slothy
12-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Thoroughly enjoying this strange little gem so far. Glad I trusted you guys.

Sephex
12-24-2017, 07:13 PM
I don't think it hinges on that quite that much. Like sure the cool things it does are more cool when you don't know they're coming, but it's not what makes Undertale a great game, IMO.

The game is quite good by itself, as I enjoyed many playthroughs despite knowing everything there is to know about the game. I just meant that the first playthrough is greatly enhanced the less you know. Even if you were the supreme RPG junkies like most of us were in the 90s, even then the game does a great job throwing people for a loop when they can spot every reference and nod that Undertale throws out there. Knowing certain things going in wouldn't ruin the game, but it would diminish the experience, I feel.

Crop
03-25-2018, 12:50 AM
I guess I missed the boat on this, but I just got it for PS4 and played through what I believe was the neutral route. I really enjoyed the game, but that hell of a freaky ending clinched it for me! Was both creepy and funny at the same time.
Not sure if it's worth jumping straight back on for a pacifist or genocide ending. Does a lot change? Or is it just going through the same motions? Also, is it easy to miss anything on either run and accidentally get the neutral ending again? That would irritate me.

Fynn
03-25-2018, 05:24 AM
The pacifist ending continues from the neutral ending. You don’t have to restart the whole game. Unless you killed even one monster along the way.

Psychotic
11-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Anyone played Deltarune? It's like never having been away. Fell in love again and can't wait for more!

Galuf
11-05-2018, 12:22 AM
Anyone played Deltarune? It's like never having been away. Fell in love again and can't wait for more!
Aye it was pretty fun. might be because its new but i feel most aspects are better than undertales so far. will have to wait for the full thing to be sure though

Fynn
11-05-2018, 05:36 AM
It’s pretty fun

Lord Golbez
11-05-2018, 11:11 PM
The pacifist ending continues from the neutral ending. You don’t have to restart the whole game. Unless you killed even one monster along the way.

In other words, yes you do.

Sephex
11-09-2018, 05:12 PM

I did. thought about making a thread for it like I did this thread back in the day, but I wasn't sure if enough people around these parts picked it up. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm glad to see that most people did too.

Fynn
11-09-2018, 06:23 PM

In other words, yes you do.

Only if you’re a loser and kill any monster along the way :monster:

Lord Golbez
11-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Which anyone who hadn't spoiled the game for themselves would do. Virtually anyone. I suppose you might have the odd individual who instantly recognized they could get away without killing anything and just decided to set that challenge for themselves.

Fynn
11-09-2018, 07:56 PM
The game explicitly tells you no one has to die from the very beginning. It was also all over the marketing. It was obvious. I didn’t have it spoiled and the pacifist run seemed like a no brainer

Lord Golbez
11-09-2018, 08:09 PM
I didn't pay attention to the marketing, but then I also don't remember it saying that. I might have just ignored it because not leveling sounds hard. I also seriously thought you were just shitposting until your last post.

Jinx
11-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Toriel literally says "hey, maybe don't kill people and try talking to them instead????"

While there are certainly puzzles to non-violently defeating monsters, the game outright states from the first moment that you really maybe shouldn't kill people.

Lord Golbez
11-09-2018, 09:51 PM
Lots of RPG characters say not to do stuff and then you have to do it anyway. It's a common trope.

Denmark
11-09-2018, 10:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq4e-yhUcAUX8LP.jpg

Sephex
11-09-2018, 11:59 PM
Toriel literally says "hey, maybe don't kill people and try talking to them instead????"

While there are certainly puzzles to non-violently defeating monsters, the game outright states from the first moment that you really maybe shouldn't kill people.

There are children I know that are a single digit age that figured this out without a guide. The game makes it blatantly obvious.

Lord Golbez
11-10-2018, 12:30 AM
Good for them. Maybe they figured out how not to be assholes too.

This may come as a shock to you, because you know 8 year old with eidetic memories or whatever but I don't remember every line from a game I played through quickly over a year ago.

Sephex
11-10-2018, 01:07 AM
Good for them. Maybe they figured out how not to be assholes too.

This may come as a shock to you, because you know 8 year old with eidetic memories or whatever but I don't remember every line from a game I played through quickly over a year ago.

*shrugs*

You were being difficult for the sake of being difficult. I wasn't really trying to ruffle you're feathers that hard, but it's difficult for me to understand why you wouldn't be able to understand what the game tells you...by literally telling you. Flowey outright says it. It's seriously not hard to pick up that info.

Don't get mad at me for your lack of comprehension. Get smarter.

Lord Golbez
11-10-2018, 01:30 AM
No. I wasn't. As I previously said, I thought he was troutposting. Even the way he phrased it made it sound like he was troutposting. I also said I don't remember the libes you're talking about. To my best recollection you get your ass handed to you at the beginning for trying to talk to Flowey, so why would you keep doing that?

Flowey says don't kill anything after you've already played through the game once. I'm pretty sure he doesn't say that the first time.

Sephex
11-10-2018, 01:42 AM
If it we're more vauge I would get we're you are coming from, but while Flowey is a deceptive character, the fact that the game lifted curtain on the importance of saving and how truly self aware some aspects of the game are. So pair that with Flowey straight up telling you what to do and exactly where to go makes it obvious (at least to me) that if you reload your save and do what he says you'll get extra content.

Now here is where my memory gets hazy. I believe if you did kill a monster he will say just as clearly that you'll need to restart and. It kill anyone. So even in that situation (assuming I am correct) Flowey tells you what's up. Basically after the Neautral stuff he is a way for the player to get directions from on their file state and what to do.

Lord Golbez
11-10-2018, 01:45 AM
I think we may be talking about different things. It's very clear after you've already completed the neutral path, I agree. I don't remember it being so clear on starting a new game for the first time.

Psychotic
11-10-2018, 11:08 AM
No. I wasn't. As I previously said, I thought he was troutposting. Even the way he phrased it made it sound like he was troutposting. I also said I don't remember the libes you're talking about. To my best recollection you get your ass handed to you at the beginning for trying to talk to Flowey, so why would you keep doing that?You don't actually get the option to talk (or fight) with Flowey at the first battle, he just attacks you. The first battle you get the option to do that is the Training Dummy, and to be fair to the game, Toriel specifically tells you to talk to it and then the game praises you for doing so if you choose to do this instead of fighting it. There's also a Froggit right afterwards that says not all monsters want to fight and it asks you to show mercy in that situation.

Lord Golbez
11-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Okay. That sort of sounds like it's a conditional ability to use rather than a directive to never use the fight command. I think my memory is also conflating the Flowey encounter with the Toriel training encounter so it can't be trusted.