PDA

View Full Version : PC sound issues

theundeadhero
10-14-2015, 06:12 AM
I have a custom built computer with Windows 7 pro and AMD Radeon. It doesn't have a sound card.

Normally I have the sound come through a headset connected via USB and that continues to work fine. Occasionally I'll set the sound to come out of my TV instead, which I use as a monitor, by changing the default sound option. It's also connected via USB (Connected to the TV by an HDMI. Mistyped that). At some time, I have no idea when because I haven't changed the sound options in forever, this stopped working. Everything is still connected fine and the volume on the TV itself works. I have no external speakers to plug into the computer to test it that way, but headphone volume via the front jack still works as well.

escobert
10-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Hmmm. I've never plugged an audio device in via USB. I'm sure you went through all the audio settings and checked the playback devices to see if the TV was disabled right?

Spuuky
10-14-2015, 04:56 PM
When viewing the playback devices with sound playing, do you see the activity? You can normally see little bars in the volume mixer if Windows detects that sounds is playing. Do you?

theundeadhero
10-15-2015, 01:00 AM
I do not with the TV, although I obviously do with the headset.

Pheesh
10-15-2015, 01:13 AM
This exact thing has happened with my girlfriends laptop before, but a simple restart fixed it. I suppose it's too much to hope that you haven't tried that yet?

theundeadhero
10-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Much to much to hope :p

Pheesh
10-15-2015, 01:21 AM
Have you tried connecting to the tv via a hdmi and seeing if you get any sound out of it that way?

theundeadhero
10-15-2015, 01:24 AM
The first post needs correcting to say that it is connected to the tv by HDMI cable. I don't know why I typed USB. I guess I was thinking of the headset at the time.

Pheesh
10-15-2015, 01:33 AM
The only other thing I can think of is a faulty hdmi then. If you have a spare one lying around or possibly a laptop/console you could try that to see if the issue persists.

escobert
10-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Yeah I'd try another HDMI or maybe one of the ports has become loose and you could try jiggling things around when you plug the cord in?

theundeadhero
10-24-2015, 01:05 AM
I meant to say thanks you guys for trying to help, but then I forgot, so thanks!

escobert
10-24-2015, 06:41 PM
So you got it all sorted out? What was the issue?

theundeadhero
10-30-2015, 02:00 AM
Nah, still not fixed.

theundeadhero
03-05-2016, 05:37 AM
Finally got this to work. Apparently a windows automatic update installed a driver that wouldn't allow this to work sometime last Summer. I was messing around with the properties and decided to try rolling the sound driver back to a previous version, and now it will work again.