PDA

View Full Version : If you were offered a million dollars....

Mahad
10-14-2015, 06:59 PM
...and had to give up one of the following in exchange, which would it be and why? -> Your legs; your arms; your sight; your hearing; your voice.

If a million is not enough, how much would you be willing to take to trade one of the above for?

Freya
10-14-2015, 07:05 PM
A million? In america, the physical therapy and what not alone would take up most of that chunk if you lost any of those. Not worth it at all.

Mahad
10-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Hmm, I think you got ahead of me posting the poll. Also, how much would be enough for you, then?

Mirage
10-14-2015, 07:13 PM
10 millions maybe. My voice. I can communicate with sign language, or just type.

I might let someone chop off part of my pinky for 1 million. It is a mostly useless finger, and I could do a lot with a million dollars.

Ayen
10-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Counter-proposal. You give me the million dollars, and I do absolutely nothing in return.

fire_of_avalon
10-14-2015, 10:30 PM
10 millions maybe. My voice. I can communicate with sign language, or just type.

I might let someone chop off part of my pinky for 1 million. It is a mostly useless finger, and I could do a lot with a million dollars.

Pinkies are so damn important! You would lose a huge percentage of your gripping abilities without pinkies!

Someone could take my legs for a billion dollars. American dollars at their best ever valuation in the history of the country. Deposited as I say. After I have a guarantee that I can buy Lt. Dan legs afterwards.

Pike
10-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Yeah chop off my legs, I'll get robot ones with the million and all I do is sit around anyway.

Mirage
10-15-2015, 12:59 AM

Pinkies are so damn important! You would lose a huge percentage of your gripping abilities without pinkies!

Someone could take my legs for a billion dollars. American dollars at their best ever valuation in the history of the country. Deposited as I say. After I have a guarantee that I can buy Lt. Dan legs afterwards.

idk. my pinkies always seem to be what applies the least amount of force on whatever i hold. it would be annoying to get used to typing with 9 fingers though

Pheesh
10-15-2015, 01:10 AM

idk. my pinkies always seem to be what applies the least amount of force on whatever i hold. it would be annoying to get used to typing with 9 fingers though

If you clench your fist it should be easily apparent how much tightness is coming from your pinky finger. If not, stick your pinky finger straight out and then try clenching your fist.

I wouldn't give up any limbs as I need them for drumming, same goes for hearing. Sight is also too damn important. I think voice might be the only one I would seriously consider, but even that is iffy.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-15-2015, 04:43 AM
Money is nice, but I do just fine without a lot. I won't let myself be mutilated just for money.

However, there are certain things that I might do...

Mirage
10-15-2015, 05:43 AM

If you clench your fist it should be easily apparent how much tightness is coming from your pinky finger. If not, stick your pinky finger straight out and then try clenching your fist.

I wouldn't give up any limbs as I need them for drumming, same goes for hearing. Sight is also too damn important. I think voice might be the only one I would seriously consider, but even that is iffy.
no no, that's not accurate. If you're trying to extend your pinky, you are pulling at least one of the other fingers back too. If the pinky was simply cut off at the middle, you'd still have the full force from the other fingers.

But sure, there is some tightness from the pinky as well, but i would say it is significantly less than any of the others can supply. So, while it's 20% of the fingers, it probably supplies less than 15% of the total clenching power.

However, I also said part of my pinky. If I was just missing the outermost bone, I would still have some clenching power left in it for many situations, such as for example holding on to a branch, or any other thin, cylindrical-ish object.

If you now take into account that most people have two hands, i bet that the total loss in gripping power for things such as doing for example pull-ups would be 8% or less. My grip power was never the limiting factor for pullups anyway <,<. That would be my complete lack of upper torso musculature.

Pheesh
10-15-2015, 05:53 AM

no no, that's not accurate. If you're trying to extend your pinky, you are pulling at least one of the other fingers back too. If the pinky was simply cut off at the middle, you'd still have the full force from the other fingers.

But sure, there is some tightness from the pinky as well, but i would say it is significantly less than any of the others can supply. So, while it's 20% of the fingers, it probably supplies less than 15% of the total clenching power.

However, I also said part of my pinky. If I was just missing the outermost bone, I would still have some clenching power left in it for many situations, such as for example holding on to a branch, or any other thin, cylindrical-ish object.

Dont pull it back then, just don't clench it and you can still feel a significant loss.

I don't know where you got 15% number from. I'll assume you made it up because everything I heard prior to this has the pinkie finger contributing way more than that to the overall grip strength of your hand.

black orb
10-15-2015, 06:07 AM
>>> If anyone is interested I can give up the fat from by belly for one million.. :luca:

Mirage
10-15-2015, 06:13 AM

Dont pull it back then, just don't clench it and you can still feel a significant loss.

I don't know where you got 15% number from. I'll assume you made it up because everything I heard prior to this has the pinkie finger contributing way more than that to the overall grip strength of your hand.

It's not made up. It's estimated from how much stronger my other fingers are compared to my pinkie. It is most definitely not as strong as my index finger or middle finger, but it might be stronger than my thumb.

And well, 15% isn't insignificant, but it's still not something that would be hard to live without. It doesn't prevent me from doing any of my everyday tasks, except maybe press the left shift key, but i can get used to using the right shift instead.

Old Manus
10-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Exchange of the year 2015

Bubba
10-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the only one I would consider would be my voice. Even then I still wouldn't for £1M.

Give me £10M and we'll talk... or not talk depending on whether I agree to it.

Psychotic
10-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Yeah, the only one I would consider would be my voice. Even then I still wouldn't for £1M.To be fair, you could pay £1m to lose your awful Mancunian voice and you'd still be getting a good deal fella.

Bubba
10-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the only one I would consider would be my voice. Even then I still wouldn't for £1M.To be fair, you could pay £1m to lose your awful Mancunian voice and you'd still be getting a good deal fella.

Rude

Pumpkin
10-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Nada

Bubba
10-16-2015, 07:54 AM

To be fair, you could pay £1M to lose your awful hair and you'd still...

Oh, wait...

Psychotic
10-16-2015, 09:10 AM
You're laughing now, but we'll see who is laughing when we add up all the money I've saved on combs and shampoo!

...probably still you to be fair.

FFNut
10-16-2015, 03:12 PM
My voice would be the only one I may give,up, but not for that chump change. It would be way more.

Richard
10-16-2015, 07:27 PM
You forgot to add "sell your soul to the devil for a million bucks" tee hee. XD

Pike
10-16-2015, 07:48 PM
All these people talking about how $1 million is chump change and I'm just sitting here in my poor person dumpster outside of town, wondering which organ I could sell for $50

FFNut
10-16-2015, 08:48 PM
All these people talking about how $1 million is chump change and I'm just sitting here in my poor person dumpster outside of town, wondering which organ I could sell for $50

Live had a million, it can go that fast too if you make one bad choice. If you had 100,000,000 it isn't as noticeable.

Shiny
10-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Arms so that I can have much stronger cybernetic arms that can possibly even stretch really far.

Chibi Youkai
10-19-2015, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't trade anything for a million dollars. You'd immediately loose at least 25% of it in taxes, if not more. And loosing a limb is absolutely life-changing. I broke my hand a couple years ago, and didn't get proper treatment due to circumstances. Ended up completely unable to use it while it healed wrong, then had to go through surgery to get it fixed. During both times, I wasn't able to use it at all, and it made many everyday things incredibly difficult or impossible. There's nothing like not being able to hold a glass of water or pick up something to change your outlook on life. Prosthetics aren't that good yet, either.

Christmas
09-29-2022, 04:33 AM
You can have my imaginary tail for a million. More to come from where it came from! :bigsmile: