PDA

View Full Version : "You're Bi-what?"

SammieBabe
10-16-2015, 09:32 PM
How many of you are Bilingual? Or Trilingual?

What languages do you speak? :)

I took French back in school, and have managed to retain some of it. My new in-laws do not speak English, so I've been learning German so I can talk to them when they visit next year.

Fox
10-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Bi-pedal.

That's about as good as I can do at the moment.

I've been learning Japanese for a year but I'm not at a level where I can read manga yet, which is how I'm measuring skill in that. Could probably do touristy things without offending the Emperor though.

Pumpkin
10-16-2015, 09:44 PM
I speak the French and the English very good

Fynn
10-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Raised by wolves. And by that I mean Americans. I acquired both Polish and English at a really early age so yeah, even though I also speak German and a bit of Japanese, I consider myself bilingual, not trilingual or more.

Freya
10-16-2015, 10:07 PM
English is my only one. I love languages though. I did at one point be decent at german but that was years ago and I don't practice so I've forgotten most of it. I have the very basics of a bunch of languages though! Swedish is one of the most fun languages to learn because its flow is very bouncy sounding.

starlet
10-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Not yet but in due time....
I'm learning Norwegian and German

Bri
10-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Trilingual. Besides english, I speak four fluent languages which are chamorro, palauan, carolinian and tagalog. I also speak some good amount of Japanese and little bit of spanish. I am going to make sure that my children learn and know how to speak them as well. Hopefully Escobert will too.

Colonel Angus
10-16-2015, 11:08 PM
I parlez vous francais just a oui bit, because I only did comme ci comme ca in HS.

I took Nihongo in college, but I don't remember much of it, desu~~~~~.

I forgot I habla some espaņol, por favor.

Ayen
10-16-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty good at English and Gibberish.

Pheesh
10-17-2015, 01:13 AM
Italian was actually my first language oddly enough, I spent that much time around my grandparents when I was young. Now days I'm not as good at it as I used to be but I can understand it when it's spoken to me and I could probably respond semi-intelligently.

Mr. Carnelian
10-17-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm not bilingual, but I understand enough German to get by in Switzerland without people realising I'm a foreigner straight away (usually). They always seem to realise after the third sentence or so, though...

My younger sister's grown up in Switzerland, so she's fully bilingual (German and English). She can also speak two different dialects of German: Swiss German, and whichever dialect my German stepmother speaks (some form of High German).

Mirage
10-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Trilingual. Besides english, I speak four fluent languages which are chamorro, palauan, carolinian and tagalog. I also speak some good amount of Japanese and little bit of spanish. I am going to make sure that my children learn and know how to speak them as well. Hopefully Escobert will too.

That sounds like a lot more than trilingual to me. Unless half of them are basically the same languages with different names

I speak norwegian and english fluently, but I can naturally also understand swedish and danish just cause they're so similar. I learned german a decade ago but I've forgotten a lot of it. Trying to freshen up on it now, though, along with learning spanish from scratch.

escobert
10-17-2015, 07:25 PM
I learned French in school but, that was nearly 15 years ago and I never used it enough to keep in fresh in my mind. I can only count, say the ABCs and say random phrases now :(

Karifean
10-17-2015, 11:03 PM
German is my mother tongue, and I've been learning and using English for as long as I can remember. I'd consider my competence in both of them to be on about an equal level. Besides those I took French and Russian classes for a couple years, but I haven't used either of the languages in two years so my skills have rusted hard. I took some Latin too but, well, dead language and all that stuff.

Nowadays I'm so commonly surrounded by Japanese that I naturally gravitated towards learning the language as well. My oral comprehension is pretty alright and I've grasped most of the grammar rules, but it takes me a long time to form sentences myself and I'm absolutely horrendous at reading Kanji. But I'm still learning.

Shiny
10-18-2015, 05:05 AM
"English motherfucker do you speak it?!"

Bri
10-18-2015, 05:44 AM

That sounds like a lot more than trilingual to me. Unless half of them are basically the same languages with different names

I speak norwegian and english fluently, but I can naturally also understand swedish and danish just cause they're so similar. I learned german a decade ago but I've forgotten a lot of it. Trying to freshen up on it now, though, along with learning spanish from scratch.

I'm sorry, I should have just put multilingual then since I speak more than tres languages fluently which are not the same obviously they have different names or you could look it up online to find out for sure if they are the same just with different names. Thank you very much.

Stecloud
10-18-2015, 10:25 AM
Nope, just English for me. I did learn French and Latin(!) in school, but never got very good at either.

BlasterDarkRen
10-18-2015, 07:45 PM
does near-fluency in Al Bhed count?