PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Jessica Jones

Freya
10-23-2015, 05:40 PM
nWHUjuJ8zxE

Wow. This looks insanely dark. I love krysten ritter and well David Tennant is the bad guy I guess so this should be great. It introduces Luke Cage, another character to get a show and blah blah even more shows ontop of that.

Looks good though. Daredevil was great so i'm confident this one will be too.

Ayen
10-23-2015, 08:11 PM
That's three former Doctor Who cast members who've played villains in the Marvel Universe.

And if you just want to talk in general, five counting Matt Smith's role in the last Terminator movie and John Barrowman in Arrow. WTF?

I heard David Tennant's character is one of the more controversial villains in Marvel, so yeah. This outta be good.

Colonel Angus
10-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Yeah, the Purple Man is really sadistic. I heard he's going to be toned down in the show, though, as he's insanely powerful in the comics. They're also not making him purple in this; he'll just wear purple.

JJ is also going to be toned down. They're likely to take away her ability to fly.

I wish I had The Netflix so I could watch these shows.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-24-2015, 12:49 AM
This looks phenomenal.

Why don't I know who Jessica Jones is?

Colonel Angus
10-24-2015, 02:34 AM
This looks phenomenal.

Why don't I know who Jessica Jones is?
I didn't before they came up w/ this.

Depression Moon
10-24-2015, 06:35 PM
I liked the trailer. Does Jessica Jones have any notable appearances outside of Alias?

blackmage_nuke
10-25-2015, 12:56 AM
I'll watch it but is her power really just super strength? I was hoping for something a bit more unique.

Mr. Carnelian
10-27-2015, 03:11 PM
The trailer looked very interesting. Very dark. I look forward to seeing the show itself when it comes out in November.

I also hadn't heard of Jessica Jones before I found out about this show. I don't really mind that, though.

Colonel Angus
10-28-2015, 02:50 AM
I'll watch it but is her power really just super strength? I was hoping for something a bit more unique.
I think she has some Psionic powers as well.

blackmage_nuke
11-21-2015, 01:19 AM
I watched the first episode and while the main character didn't fascinate me all too much I am interested to see how the villain pans out.

Formalhaut
11-21-2015, 03:34 AM
Watched the first two episodes with Mr. Carny tonight. I have to say, I like what I see so far, even it is is incredibly dark in places. The ending of that first episode: good heavens!

I will say that Jessica Jones is at times almost stubbornly brooding. I was watching her just have almost zero people skills for the majority of both episodes. Maybe that is something that she'll work on over the course of the series but it can get annoying, for me.

Mr. Carnelian
11-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Watched the first two episodes with Mr. Carny tonight. I have to say, I like what I see so far, even it is is incredibly dark in places. The ending of that first episode: good heavens!

I will say that Jessica Jones is at times almost stubbornly brooding. I was watching her just have almost zero people skills for the majority of both episodes. Maybe that is something that she'll work on over the course of the series but it can get annoying, for me.

It was nice watching something new with Formy for a change: most of the time it's me introducing him to shows I've already seen!

I'm really enjoying it so far. And actually, I like her lack of people skills. I loved the bit in the second episode when she went upstairs and half-strangled the women who was making a racket. Without wanting to sound like a psychopath, I've had neighbors who I've wanted to do that to. :p

Depression Moon
11-21-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm up to episode 5. I love this. I think I like it more than Daredevil.

Episode 5 spoiler I really wonder what Kilgraves want with those photos of Jessica. From what I know of the character, I'm guessing he's masturbating to them.

Raistlin
11-23-2015, 11:24 PM
This show is great. It pulls off a dark tone even better than Daredevil (or any other superhero show/movie for that matter). I think my only real complaint is a striking lack of sideplots, as the show is very villain-centric -- but when that villain is David Tennant, it isn't that much of a complaint.

I will say that Jessica Jones is at times almost stubbornly brooding. I was watching her just have almost zero people skills for the majority of both episodes.

That's kinda the point. She's a rude, antisocial alcoholic. I consider that a refreshing change of pace to the superhero stereotype.

Formalhaut
11-24-2015, 12:04 AM
I will say that Jessica Jones is at times almost stubbornly brooding. I was watching her just have almost zero people skills for the majority of both episodes.

That's kinda the point. She's a rude, antisocial alcoholic. I consider that a refreshing change of pace to the superhero stereotype.

I do like it... at times, but there are times when I just think it's overdone. It's probably just me: everyone else seems to love her character. And don't get me wrong, I do love her character, I just get tired of the constant lack of sociability annoying, at times.

blackmage_nuke
11-24-2015, 02:12 AM
Great show, my only gripe is the police officer that was sent to kill Trish just happens to be an ex-supersoldier? A bit too coincidental, I would've been more willing to believe it if maybe he was mentioned on the USB stick or something and Kilgrave sought him out to see if he knew anything and when he didnt, sent him to kill Trish

Freya
11-24-2015, 03:33 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch this. I'm hoping this weekend after the thanksgiving rush, I'll have some time. You guys are making me want to see it even more haha

Mirage
11-24-2015, 04:43 PM
do they still say "hell's kitchen" in every other conversation?

Fox
11-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Ah, that's what was missing!

It bugged me in Daredevil because the only other thing I've seen set there is Deus Ex. So I assumed it was a fictional Deus Ex place.

blackmage_nuke
11-25-2015, 01:51 AM

Not really but they do refer to Jessica Jones using her full name a fair bit. Not enough to be as grating as Hells Kitchen though.

Ayen
11-25-2015, 01:54 AM
You guys talking about Hell's Kitchen? I grew up in East Hell's Kitchen and attended Hell's Kitchen University with my best pal who grew up in West Hell's Kitchen and went to Hell's Kitchen Medical.

Colonel Angus
11-25-2015, 03:50 AM

Not really but they do refer to Jessica Jones using her full name a fair bit. Not enough to be as grating as Hells Kitchen though.
A little bit off topic, but something similar. Tonight on Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, he calls his grandmother. When she asks who's calling, he says "Charlie Brown".

G13
11-25-2015, 06:26 AM
I just want to take a moment to point out that the first episode's awkward morning after with Luke Cage is an actual comic book reference.

I want to point this out because it is killing me that I have been the only one who caught it.

It is a butt sex reference and I don't feel one bit ashamed being excited about it.

Ayen
11-25-2015, 06:37 AM
Just watched the first two episodes today. So far I like Jessica and Luke, and man oh man do they know how to build up their villain. I haven't been so tense seeing an antagonist appear on screen in a long time.

Shiny
11-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Jessica Jones was originally known as Jewel and she wore white. They reference it in one of the episodes. I'm glad they went more chill with her character. She doesn't dress up. It seems more realistic that if a person is as powerful as her but also doesn't want to be bothered wouldn't go around wearing a vigilante costume drawing more attention to the fact that she's a super hero. She's mostly an anti-hero this season. I like her character and excuse her alcoholism because of PTSD but I'm a bit curious to how she's able to survive on a diet of whisky. I liked Netflix's Daredevil but this was better. The writing, the tension, the dry humor. I loved it.

Depression Moon
11-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Yeah, Daredevil was great, but this was even better. I'm hyped for Luke Cage now.

Ayen
11-30-2015, 06:53 AM
I think I might have to disown my family. I'm the only one in this house who likes this show.

Finished the series a couple of days ago. Is Jessica Jones getting a second season? Because I really want to see her team up with Daredevil, which I still need to watch.

Although, it's not going to be the same without Kilgrave. He overshadowed the other characters almost to a fault.

And in hindsight... Jessica should have let the cop kill himself in episode 3.

Depression Moon
11-30-2015, 07:33 AM
I think I might have to disown my family. I'm the only one in this house who likes this show.

Finished the series a couple of days ago. Is Jessica Jones getting a second season? Because I really want to see her team up with Daredevil, which I still need to watch.

Although, it's not going to be the same without Kilgrave. He overshadowed the other characters almost to a fault.

I really don't see how any new villain can compare.

Yeah, that guy ended being shitty. I suspect he'll be back. I also disliked how they just had him kill that black cop for no reason.

Ayen
11-30-2015, 07:38 AM

I really don't see how any new villain can compare.

Yeah, that guy ended being troutty. I suspect he'll be back. I also disliked how they just had him kill that black cop for no reason.

Yeah, that was random as smurf. I thought for sure Kilgrave got to him up to that point, but nope!

Freya
11-30-2015, 03:50 PM
I got to watch 15 mins of the first episode this weekend because of so much busy family crap. I'm so jelly of you guys being able to marathon it :( And thank you for keeping things in spoilers.

Del Murder
11-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Watched 4 episodes of this and it's not for me. Too dark and gritty, Jessica is not a compelling main character, the main plot is too slow-moving, and the subplots are all boring.

Freya
11-30-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm not surprised by that reaction. I've heard people either absolutely love it or meh, they aren't fans. Crazy how it's polarized like that.

Ayen
11-30-2015, 06:02 PM
There were subplots?

Del Murder
11-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Exactly.

Shiny
12-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Watched 4 episodes of this and it's not for me. Too dark and gritty, Jessica is not a compelling main character, the main plot is too slow-moving, and the subplots are all boring.

That's why my bf didn't like it. He prefers stuff like The Flash which is a bit lighter. I love dark and gritty though. The villain drove this more than the protagonist but that's pretty much the case with most Marvel entities. It didn't get really good to until about 5 episodes in but that's mostly because I was insanely confused. Now watching it in hindsight I can appreciate the first few episodes a lot more. I also love Krysten Ritter and the character Jessica Jones' dry asshole humor but good hearted nature. Literally me as a super hero minus the alcoholism.

CimminyCricket
12-02-2015, 01:32 AM
I loved it. I would have liked more super powers, especially considering despite her super strength some weak nerd from down the hall knocked her out.

8/10 would watch season 2

Ayen
12-02-2015, 01:46 AM
I get the feeling they didn't have the budget for it. At least that much is true for how they changed her flying ability.

Araciel
12-02-2015, 01:54 AM
meh it was okay and had some good giggles. Flat ending.

Formalhaut
12-02-2015, 03:48 AM
I loved it. I would have liked more super powers, especially considering despite her super strength some weak nerd from down the hall knocked her out.

Having watched ten episodes currently, I have to agree. She's a woman with super-strength, and she gets knocked down easily by either a few guys with little stun sticks or a nerd girl with a plank of wood. Seriously? I could just about buy the first incidence, because she was outnumbered by like, 3-1, but the second one was almost laughable.

As for Jessica herself, she's engaging enough as a character. I still think she's fairly moody and sullen half the time, but she does come out with a few pithy remarks to make up for it. I find Kilgrave more compelling, to be honest.

Having watched up to the ten episodes, I have this gripe: Hope's death. I just didn't get it. She's free! She was released! Why the hell did she then just decide to off herself? The argument she did give: that Jessica could go after Kilgrave, was already achieved. Hope could just leg it away from New York for awhile and go under the radar, while Jessica dealt with Kilgrave. It all seemed odd. We had this ten episode build-up to Hope's release and then... she dies. All those wacky, barely held together plots Jessica had, for nothing.

My other gripe is the Hogarth divorce sub-plot. No-one is acting like a human being. The entire arc is almost cringworthy to watch at times, to be honest. Then Jessica gets involved and almost kills a woman by pushing her into a train, who only wanted more money in the settlement. And she's the protagonist. I find it somewhat of a distraction, to be honest.

Ayen
12-02-2015, 03:57 AM
I'd be fairly moody too if I went through what she's went through.

She has super strength, but no enhanced endurance as far as I can tell. And while her strength is pretty great, it doesn't come close to a lot of the other heroes already established in the Marvel universe. She's more of a stronger human.

I can't really argue against the Episode Ten spoilers.

Mr. Carnelian
12-02-2015, 07:41 AM

Having watched ten episodes currently, I have to agree. She's a woman with super-strength, and she gets knocked down easily by either a few guys with little stun sticks or a nerd girl with a plank of wood. Seriously? I could just about buy the first incidence, because she was outnumbered by like, 3-1, but the second one was almost laughable.

Disagree. I actually think it's refreshing to have a Marvel protagonist with clear limitations. Why would superstrength make her a good fighter? I imagine she'll get some kind of martial arts training (from Trish maybe, or whoever taught Trish) after this season. She hasn't really had time recently what with all the Kilgrave trout going on.

As for Jessica herself, she's engaging enough as a character. I still think she's fairly moody and sullen half the time, but she does come out with a few pithy remarks to make up for it. I find Kilgrave more compelling, to be honest.

Personally, I find her extremely compelling, although I agree that Kilgrave is also extremely compelling (despite the fact that he is the most wholly unsympathetic character I've ever come across).

Having watched up to the ten episodes, I have this gripe: Hope's death. I just didn't get it. She's free! She was released! Why the hell did she then just decide to off herself? The argument she did give: that Jessica could go after Kilgrave, was already achieved. Hope could just leg it away from New York for awhile and go under the radar, while Jessica dealt with Kilgrave. It all seemed odd. We had this ten episode build-up to Hope's release and then... she dies. All those wacky, barely held together plots Jessica had, for nothing.

My other gripe is the Hogarth divorce sub-plot. No-one is acting like a human being. The entire arc is almost cringworthy to watch at times, to be honest. Then Jessica gets involved and almost kills a woman by pushing her into a train, who only wanted more money in the settlement. And she's the protagonist. I find it somewhat of a distraction, to be honest.

In regard to episode ten I always had a feeling she would kill herself. And she wasn't free: Kilgrave was still alive. Hope was convinced that Jessica could never bring herself to kill Kilgrave while she (Hope) was in danger, and as long as Kilgrave is alive she'd ALWAYS be in danger. So, the only way to free Jessica to kill Kilgrave, as well as give her further motivation to kill him, was to remove herself from the equation

In regard to the Episode Nine spoilers and sub-plot spoilers... Hogarth is a driven, selfish woman. She was always going to go too far. People like that do exist: she is acting like a human being. Jessica was in a REALLY bad place when the train thing happened, and she was never going to actually let that woman die. It seemed totally consistent with her character to me

Miriel
12-03-2015, 01:59 AM
I'm ok with dark and gritty. But Jessica Jones felt like... fake dark and gritty. Dark and gritty lite. Her constant chugging of alcohol and the fact that her apartment is messy and she walks with a slouch felt way too forced and contrived. Placeholders for "I AM TROUBLED" rather than true character development. There were some definite moments of dark horror, but it was given out in such tiny pieces that it got boring really fast. Granted, I only made it 4 episodes, but it was a slog to get even that far. I assume it picks up toward the end of the series but I couldn't get over the pacing and the acting. Krysten Ritter has always been terrible in my opinion, in everything she has ever appeared in, going back as far as Gilmore Girls to Breaking Bad, that Apartment show, and now this. She is just the worst.

Recent shows I've been watching include Mr. Robot and The Americans, both of which are really dark and gritty shows and both of which are just superb. In contrast, Jessica Jones definitely feels like amateur hour. Which is a shame because I loved Daredevil and I also would love to see more super hero ladies.

Freya
12-03-2015, 02:53 PM
See I super enjoy Krysten Ritter! I think she's been great in most everything I've seen her in. I guess it's just differing opinions and tastes with her as an actress.

I've finished AN episode. Then I went back to trying to finish Narcos, which is another fabulous Netflix original that you should all watch.

Formalhaut
12-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I think Jessica Jones is a show that you'll either love, or just really struggle with. I'm in a odd position because I'm kinda experiencing both at the same time. I THINK I'll enjoy the second season more, as there will hopefully be less of the nonsense that is the divorce subplot, and the episodes won't be so driven solely by the main plotline. In all the action and drama that basically led us through episodes 7-13, there was barely any pause. 10 episodes in, I don't see much of a development in Jessica's character.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 12:55 AM
My only problem with the divorce subplot is it feels the show is trying to get us to sympathize with Harper, and I have no sympathy for her. She cheated. She honestly deserves every single complication her ex is giving her for being a cheating bitch and when she ended up with neither the wife nor the mistress I literally hollered out "GOOD!" at my television screen.

Fox
12-06-2015, 02:48 AM
My only problem with the divorce subplot is it feels the show is trying to get us to sympathize with Harper, and I have no sympathy for her. She cheated. She honestly deserves every single complication her ex is giving her for being a cheating bitch and when she ended up with neither the wife nor the mistress I literally hollered out "GOOD!" at my television screen.

*Hogarth :) I didn't think the show was trying to get us to sympathise with her, she was kinda reluctantly helpful from time to time but when it came to her wife - a very obviously nice and reasonable person - she was a nasty piece of work! I was rooting for Wendy the whole way in that little sub-plot.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 02:55 AM
If that wasn't what they were going for they didn't do a good job of conveying it.

Smurfing Google has her name as Harper for some reason. I couldn't remember it off hand.

Shiny
12-06-2015, 05:53 AM
" Dark and gritty lite" when there's a dude with chopped off arms (just for example), yeah right. I respect all those other opinions even if I don't agree with them, but you're flat out wrong on that. I await both Jessica Jones and Daredevil second season. I also can't wait for the new Luke Cage which they recently shot in NYC.