PDA

View Full Version : Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez: Former Disney stars gone erotic

SuperMillionaire
10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confident_(album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revival_(Selena_Gomez_album)

We've seen it before with Miley Cyrus, and then with Nick Jonas with his solo album, and now with Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez, who both go erotic on their new albums, Confident and Revival, respectively.

Demi Lovato's new album, Confident, features her wearing a racy top and underwear on the cover, and it also has a Parental Advisory sticker on it. I had a feeling that her new album would have a PA sticker on it, because she drops an F-bomb in her new song "Cool for the Summer." She also recently posed nude for a photo shoot. Maybe she's a little too confident. I went to a shopping mall yesterday and visited FYE, a store that sells music, movies, and video games, and I went looking for her new album, and sure enough, as I expected, her album had a PA sticker on it.

Selena Gomez's new album, Revival, however, to my surprise, did not have a PA sticker on it. I was expecting it to have the PA sticker on it because I saw the cover for the deluxe edition of her new album on the internet a few weeks ago, which features her posing nude, although the standard edition's album cover features her fully clothed, and in her new song, "Good for You," which features rapper ASAP Rocky, the aforementioned rapper drops an S-bomb in his verse. Despite this, apparently, none of her other songs contain profanities, although I haven't heard the rest of the album yet, and I've recently discovered that apparently, an album only receives a PA sticker if a song contains the F word in its lyrics; otherwise, it does not receive a PA sticker.

It just goes to show you that apparently, explicitness is the norm in music today, and that also apparently, Disney stars have a history of going bad when they grow up.

charliepanayi
10-26-2015, 02:53 PM
I take it you haven't seen Spring Breakers.

Bubba
10-26-2015, 03:31 PM
It just goes to show you that apparently, explicitness is the norm in music today, and that also apparently, Disney stars have a history of going bad when they grow up.

These artists may be showing a little more than is to your taste but that doesn't mean they have gone "bad".

EDIT: Although to be fair, I haven't listened to either album. They could be very bad.

Pumpkin
10-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Nudity is really not the worst thing in the world you know. Heck people could learn to accept their bodies more and stop feeling so ashamed of them.

I don't really listen to their music but they are both adult women and they can sing about whatever they want to, I guess.

Old Manus
10-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Going erotic. Not even once.

Psychotic
10-26-2015, 04:15 PM
I don't find a rapper called A$AP Rocky saying the word shit to be all that erotic but to each their own.

SuperMillionaire
10-26-2015, 05:01 PM
I take it you haven't seen Spring Breakers.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard about it, and I know that Selena Gomez is in it, along with Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson.

Shauna
10-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Maybe she's a little too confident.

how dare she

sharkythesharkdogg
10-26-2015, 05:24 PM
It just goes to show you that apparently, explicitness is the norm in music today, and that also apparently, Disney stars have a history of using the classic marketing technique of "sex sells" to further their career and maintain relevance when they grow up.

I adjusted your statement a little. There's nothing new to this.

As has already been pointed out, showing some skin or singing about certain subjects doesn't make someone a "bad" person. If anything, in situations like this, it just makes them a smart business person because that's what sells. There's far worse things than a fully nude person.

SuperMillionaire
10-26-2015, 06:10 PM
It just goes to show you that apparently, explicitness is the norm in music today, and that also apparently, Disney stars have a history of using the classic marketing technique of "sex sells" to further their career and maintain relevance when they grow up.

As has already been pointed out, showing some skin or singing about certain subjects doesn't make someone a "bad" person. If anything, in situations like this, it just makes them a smart business person because that's what sells. There's far worse things than a fully nude person.

Yes, sex does sell, but there's a difference between regular sex and explicit sex, which is sex that is sleazy and uses shock value, and what these stars are engaging in is sex that shocks and is sleazy. I don't mind sex, and I actually like it, as long as it's done decently. The problem is that it's done indecently; it's indecent exposure.

Old Manus
10-26-2015, 06:17 PM
difference between regular sex and explicit sexSo that's what I've been doing wrong all these years :grover:

Freya
10-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Yes, sex does sell, but there's a difference between regular sex and explicit sex, which is sex that is sleazy and uses shock value, and what these stars are engaging in is sex that shocks and is sleazy. I don't mind sex, and I actually like it, as long as it's done decently. The problem is that it's done indecently; it's indecent exposure.

Well that's like... your opinion, man.

Psychotic
10-26-2015, 06:37 PM
What do you define as decent sex, SuperMillionaire? Let's say theoretically I have a friend who enjoys the idea of Demi Lovato farting onto a walnut and then Selena Gomez putting said walnut into her ear while they both wear one piece swimsuits and bonnets. Is that decent or indecent sex?

Shauna
10-26-2015, 06:48 PM
I don't mind sex, and I actually like it, as long as it's done decently.

Don't we all...

Night Fury
10-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Demi looked hot as smurf in the Cool for the Summer video, and I LOVE Selena's Good for You.

I've actually been waiting for you to bring up Demi Lovato for some time, you're a bit late really!

SuperM, were you ever a child? Were you ever an innocent child? Have you had sex recently? Said a curse word? If so, how dare you not be a child anymore! I used to be a kid too and now I work in a sex shop, someone arrest me!

Fynn
10-27-2015, 02:49 PM
I mean, wow, nowadays I don't even have to look. I just see a thread title and think "Yup, that's a SuperMillionaire thread alright."

Mr. Carnelian
10-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Swearing and explicitness and partial nudity, oh my!

Yes, this stuff is a lot more 'adult' than when they were Disney stars, but they're no longer targeting children. What's the big deal?

These stars can do whatever they want with their bodies and musical careers. Might they be pressured into being more 'explicit' when they don't really want to be? Quite possibly. Certainly, that pressure should be frowned upon. But if it's their choice then what's the big problem?

Nick Jonas can take his shirt off as much as he likes. I'm not going to complain.

Sephex
10-28-2015, 04:45 AM
I personally think the reason why most child stars do more "racy" things when they get older is that they are no longer a very restrictive contract that holds them to family friendly standards.

A lot of people pile on Miley Cyrus for how she changed her imagine, but few people consider that it was really that long ago where she was in a contract that, in a way, told her how to eat, breathe, sleep, dress, maintain her hair, basically everything normal people take for granted. Obviously, the trade off is a truckload of cash, so she had that going for her.

Miley Cryus' (and other former child stars) antics may seem silly, unnecessarily edgy, or downright offensive depending on one's viewpoint. However, after being tied up with so much red tape for years on end there has to be a sense of relief and a strong desire to do something that completely goed the opposite direction of a family friendly image.

I'm not into that sort of scene either way, but I say good for them. If Miley Cyrus or the people mentioned in this thread's title want to put feather up their but and pretend to be a chicken, let them do it. The family friendly material isn't going anywhere, and there are sure to be new child stars to rise up and fill that void. It's not only the cycle of one aspect of the music world, but that's generally how people grow up.

If I were to show my 5, 10, and even 20 year old self how my life is now, there would probably be many things the other me doesn't approve of. But again, that's part of growing up. There's something seriously wrong if you don't change and, well, grow as a person throughout life.

Forsaken Lover
10-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Has Hilary Duff ever gotten a bit more "erotic" to use the thread's term?

SuperMillionaire
11-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Here's the thing, though: they basically go from the rough equivalent of G or PG-rated to R-rated when they reach adulthood. They should also at least keep their roots in mind. After all, without their roots, they would have never been famous in the first place.

I'm not going to complain if Nick Jonas takes off his shirt, but if he drops his pants and grabs his groin, like he did in a photo shoot, and drops expletives in his lyrics, then I will complain. The thing is, I think the amount of expletives, sex, drugs, and alcohol references is a big problem in music today, and if we don't do anything about it, it's only going to get worse!

And Hilary Duff stated that she would not return with an erotic image, which she proved on her new album, Breathe In, Breathe Out; it has the same feel as her old albums.

NorthernChaosGod
11-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Are child stars supposed to just release the same content for the rest of their careers? Maybe the reason Leonardo DiCaprio hasn't won an Oscar is because he stopped making shit like Growing Pains.

SuperMillionaire
11-07-2015, 07:14 PM
No, I don't want them to release the same content for the rest of their careers, but I don't want them to be explicit for the rest of their careers, either.

Slothy
11-07-2015, 07:32 PM
what these stars are engaging in is sex that shocks and is sleazy.

Maybe it's because I've been on the internet since 1994 or so, or maybe it's the fact that I neither follow nor generally care what these two are doing in their careers, but from what you've talked about, linked to, and what some rather quick google searches have shown me, what they're doing is anything but shocking or sleazy. In fact, I'm honestly not sure how you get shocking or sleazy from photos where the clothing their wearing is remarkably tame, or the nudity isn't even really shown. Nude photos where you don't see a single breast or genitalia is shocking? Really?

And out of curiosity I googled this nude photo shoot you say Demi did because I figured it probably wasn't half as bad as you imply. I was actually surprised though. Not by the fact that she did nude photos since the most you see is her butt and everything is covered up. What actually surprised me is the shoot was apparently done with no makeup or photo retouching. Not only is that pretty rare these days, it's also just kind of nice to see a female celebrity who many would probably not say has a perfect body put herself out there like that. And she looked pretty great in those photos too. The woman isn't too confident (there's really no such thing); she's as confident as every person should be able to feel in their body. That's just badass.

Freya
11-08-2015, 12:59 AM
The woman isn't too confident (there's really no such thing); she's as confident as every person should be able to feel in their body. That's just badass.

Bulltrout Vivi! She just released a song called confident! It has Michelle Rodriguez in it!

cwLRQn61oUY

So as Demi says in this song, Super Mill, What's wrong with being Confident? She's confident with how she looks and how she acts, so what's wrong with that? You're shaming her for being confident with herself and her body. :colbert:

NorthernChaosGod
11-08-2015, 01:02 AM
No, I don't want them to release the same contest for the rest of their careers, but I don't want them to be explicit for the rest of their careers, either.
Well the point is that they're adults now and their previous works shouldn't influence their future plans. I get the feeling you wouldn't be okay with some sort of artist coming in as an adult and releasing similar material, but why does it matter that they were formally with Disney?

SuperMillionaire
11-11-2015, 05:42 PM
I don't mind if she's just wearing a swimsuit, but if she's nude, then I have a problem. True, the private parts may be strategically covered, but still.

And about Selena Gomez's album, though it does not contain any F-bombs, it does contain a number of S-bombs. Despite this, it does not have the PA sticker on it. I revisited FYE in the same mall this past Sunday, and they were playing a few songs from her new album, and I noticed that she said the S word several times in the lyrics of a few of her songs.

Old Manus
11-11-2015, 07:32 PM
the private parts may be strategically covered65870

Madame Adequate
11-11-2015, 08:19 PM
I was really, really hoping this thread was about a sex tape of them or, knowing SuperMillionaire, at least something about them sharing a kiss or something.* But you're just talking about them doing stuff separately and that's a lot less hot.

* Incidentally, how did you feel when you saw Jennifer Lawrence and Natalie Dormer kiss?

SuperMillionaire
11-18-2015, 01:57 PM
I didn't see that one, Mister Adequate.

Anyway, I think music today has become way too explicit. If it's occasional, fine, but now it's become too much, too often. I remember talking to someone else about this, and they told me that if you don't have anything nice to sing about, then you shouldn't sing at all. It's like the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," applied to music. And to be honest, I have to partially agree with that person. On one hand, it's freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and I don't believe that anyone should be banned, but at the same time, I also reserve the right to not be subjected to explicit lyrics if I don't want to be, and I do believe in relegation. I'm not saying that we should eliminate explicit lyrics all together, I'm just saying we should limit it and relegate it. The problem is that these days, it's excessive, and not done in moderation. I believe that explicit lyrics should be the exception, not the norm.

Freya
11-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Supermillionaire, It is your opinion that it's too explicit. The reason it's so popular is because everyone else doesn't care. There isn't a problem with music. The only problem is that you're trying to place your morals onto others. If you don't like the music, don't listen to it. Again to quote Demi Lovato, What's wrong with being Confident?

SuperMillionaire
11-18-2015, 04:39 PM
I think they should care. I want people to care. They should know that this music is inappropriate for children. If you pay close attention to these lyrics, you will see that these songs are inappropriate for children. There should be a public service announcement about it. If we don't do anything about it, it's only going to get worse!

And when I hear this music being played everywhere, in a way, I am being forced to listen to it.

Slothy
11-18-2015, 05:05 PM

Pumpkin
11-18-2015, 05:10 PM
I personally believe that parents need to be responsible for their children, teach them about the world, rather than shield them from everything. It doesn't do much good, kids will be exposed through this stuff anyways, generally through peer groups, but I mean, it's just part of life. There's nothing wrong with sitting down with your child and saying "what these people are saying and talking about, it's something they're choosing to do as adults who are old enough to make these decisions." And answer any questions they have. Just like you can explain why blowing up bad guys while skydiving in your car is okay in a movie but a terrible idea in real life. There are a ton of learning opportunities in these things that are good for kids. Now I'm not saying you should explicitly give these things to your kids, but putting them in a bubble a) doesn't work and b) can be detrimental to their development

Freya
11-18-2015, 05:16 PM
You still didn't answer my question that Demi Lovato posed, Sup. What's wrong with being confident? :colbert: What you may find wrong could be considered normal by literally everyone else. Don't slutshame.

SuperMillionaire
11-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Well, good for her for being comfortable in her own skin, but I still don't see the need to bare it all.

And parents should only expose this music to children in small amounts, and not in large quantities. It should not be excessive.

Old Manus
11-18-2015, 07:56 PM
"Okay Eric, you can listen to The Chronic, but only Lyrical Gangbang"

sharkythesharkdogg
11-19-2015, 12:45 AM
While we're on the topic, let's say, hypothetically of course, that I have a four year old in my life.

What do you think the appropriate amount of metal would be at their age?

Slothy
11-19-2015, 12:50 AM
Whatever amount of metal is slightly below more than all of the metal and above less than all of the metal.

Sephex
11-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Analysis Country music?

I am slick.

NorthernChaosGod
11-19-2015, 07:28 PM
I think they should care. I want people to care. They should know that this music is inappropriate for children. If you pay close attention to these lyrics, you will see that these songs are inappropriate for children. There should be a public service announcement about it. If we don't do anything about it, it's only going to get worse!

And when I hear this music being played everywhere, in a way, I am being forced to listen to it.
Plenty of things are inappropriate for children, but that's why they have parents. Do you need your parents still?

G13
11-21-2015, 03:22 AM
Can I ask for all of Manus' posts to be combined into a thread of their own? I don't really care about anything else in this thread.

SuperMillionaire
11-21-2015, 07:28 PM

Plenty of things are inappropriate for children, but that's why they have parents. Do you need your parents still?

No, I don't, but if parents overexpose their children to this music, they'll become desensitized to it, and may start swearing. Would you want your children swearing up a storm? I wouldn't. That's why I would say that exposure to this music should be limited. And while I am against outright banning anything, I do believe in relegation.

Freya
11-21-2015, 11:54 PM
smurf. Well, trout. We shouldn't let them smurfing swear.

It IS regulated. Which is why you complain about the parental advisory labels.

Ayen
11-22-2015, 02:54 AM
There are worse things kids can get into than swearing. Like bullying other kids, bullying animals, being a prick (which doesn't require profanity), lie, steal, cheat, break things, murder the house cat and drown it in a tub of acid they got from Grandpa Lincoln -ahem-

They're just words. And I'm pretty sure there are songs out there advocating much worse than nudity and some naughty words.

Slothy
11-22-2015, 02:58 AM
Considering how much I fucking swear I'd be the last fucking person to fucking judge my little shit brained cock suckers if I shat any out one fucking day.

But I won't because I hate kids.

Mirage
11-24-2015, 04:31 PM
gone erotic.

it's hard to keep the laughter contained

NorthernChaosGod
11-25-2015, 05:35 AM
No, I don't, but if parents overexpose their children to this music, they'll become desensitized to it, and may start swearing. Would you want your children swearing up a storm? I wouldn't. That's why I would say that exposure to this music should be limited. And while I am against outright banning anything, I do believe in relegation.

I'm thinking you missed my point. There's a point where the parents step in and say "hey, we don't use this kind of language because (reasons)." It's not the media's responsibility to parent.

SuperMillionaire
12-04-2015, 05:37 PM

I'm thinking you missed my point. There's a point where the parents step in and say "hey, we don't use this kind of language because (reasons)." It's not the media's responsibility to parent.

To some extent, partially, I think it should be.

Mirage
12-04-2015, 07:25 PM
No one's died over swear words yet. It's largely irrelevant, really.

Ayen
12-04-2015, 07:39 PM
No one's died over swear words yet. It's largely irrelevant, really.

If they could so many people would've died watching South Park.

Bubba
12-04-2015, 11:01 PM
It's not the media's responsibility to parent.

This reminds me of an interview that Paul McCartney gave in the late sixties. They asked him if he'd taken LSD and he said "yes". After the interview he said "If you are worried about how this revelation is going to influence the youth of today then don't show it. Don't air this."

What did they do? Over the front of every newspaper is how The Beatles were heathens and they are a horrendous example to the world's youth.

My point: The media will never shoulder responsibility. They will do what they can to make money by telling lies and the truth... Whichever is the most controversial

NorthernChaosGod
12-05-2015, 11:09 PM

You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

SuperMillionaire
12-10-2015, 02:23 PM
I never said that we should eliminate explicit music or any other form of media completely. There's a time and place for everything. I just think that it should be more "obscure."

Mr. Carnelian
12-11-2015, 01:08 AM
I never said that we should eliminate explicit music or any other form of media completely. There's a time and place for everything. I just think that it should be more "obscure."

Let's all be super-repressive and push explicit material to the borders of society where it can't be regulated or monitored. What a brilliant plan.

While we're at it, why don't we body-shame and treat anything to do with the body and sexuality as somehow suspect? I'm sure that will help matters. That's what the British Victorians did, and that didn't distort the way they looked at sex at all.

Let's just go the whole hog and pretend that naked bodies and sex din't exist. That'll make us all much happier and better adjusted.

:roll2

Look, I'm just teasing you really, Supermillionaire. I know that's not what you're saying. But it is where it can lead to.

SuperMillionaire
12-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Then why did you tease me in the first place? And why would it lead to that point? I don't think it would lead to that point. I never said that we should eliminate explicit material completely. I just think that it should be relegated.

To be honest, I actually think that they should allow AO-rated video games to be sold in stores. I never see any AO-rated games in stores. Like I've said before, I'm against outright banning anything, but I do believe in relegation.

Rin Heartilly
12-18-2015, 08:01 PM
I don't think there's any way to avoid the cycle, most child stars try to discard their kid-friendly image as fast as they can once they're old enough. It's their bodies and they can do what they want with them, it's parents job to make sure their kids are watching appropriate material their age.

There's a decent number of young teens that watch porn and go on adult websites and hook up with older people (which is illegal), I think that's more of an issue than some raunchy music videos.

Ayen
12-18-2015, 08:11 PM
In some cases it's better for their careers. If Alyssa Milano didn't get away from her good girl image after Whose The Boss went off the air her career would've been dead in the water then and there.

Night Fury
12-18-2015, 08:19 PM
In some cases it's better for their careers. If Alyssa Milano didn't get away from her good girl image after Whose The Boss went off the air her career would've been dead in the water then and there.

How is that a good thing?

Ayen
12-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Never claimed it was. Though in Alyssa's case she didn't get into anything bad. She managed to stay clear of all the things child stars tend to let spiral out of control. Most she did was nude scenes which IMO is harmless.

NorthernChaosGod
12-23-2015, 02:31 AM

Because then people can look at her more.