PDA

View Full Version : Sega apologizes for recent Sonic games, says they're returning to Sonic's roots

Pike
10-29-2015, 12:48 AM
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sega-admits-recent-sonic-games-quality-hasnt-been-acceptable-and-will-retur

“Sega has publicly apologized to the fans as the quality of console games in the Sonic franchise hasn’t been acceptable over recent years. It’s been tough translating that iconic side scrolling 2D experience from the 90s into 3D but Sonic is still huge for us so the new games will be more inspired by how it played in its heyday.” — Jon Rooke

What could it mean? More 2D Sonic, kind of like in Sonic Generations?

I'm okay with this.

Ayen
10-29-2015, 12:58 AM
Going off the comments it sounds like they've said this before so I take it with a grain of salt.

Slothy
10-29-2015, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I think they've said it every couple of years.

Pike
10-29-2015, 01:27 AM
Yeah but I can dream, right?

(if it doesn't happen that's fine, I'll just keep playing the original Sonic games)

Vyk
10-29-2015, 02:29 AM
If they mean it then I approve but I don't think they know what they are doing. So we'll see what they've learned

Colonel Angus
10-29-2015, 03:14 AM
It'd be nice to get a new 2-D Sonic on the Wii U.

maybee
10-29-2015, 04:03 AM
Hopefully this means more Sonic Generations and less Sonic 06's. Though I doubt it, as it's already been mentioned Sega has apologized before for the poor Sonic games not too long ago.

Sephex
10-29-2015, 05:04 AM
TIL "recent" according to Sega is the last 10-15 years.

Rez09
10-29-2015, 09:29 AM
I feel so bad for Sega. I really do. The last time I heard them say something like this was when they were working on Sonic 4, and that failed to please anyone despite being so Genesis Sonic it almost felt like playing a ROM Hack more than a new game. Well, ignoring Episode 1's physics, anyway. I don't know that they can produce something that will make people happy anymore (though Generations' reception does leave room for some hope, I suppose).

NeoCracker
10-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Pull a Nintendo and start letting other dev teams work on the Sonic Liscense, see if we can get some fresh blood pumped into Sonic's ever decaying corpse, breath some life into it.

Rez09
10-29-2015, 10:17 AM
You know, I like that idea a lot. Not only has Nintendo done that, Capcom did it as well with the Mega Man series a while back, and both companies have found great success with it; there's no reason Sega couldn't do the same. I wonder who would be a good pick for the job?

Colonel Angus
10-30-2015, 03:25 AM
They should let Nintendo make a Sonic game. Sonic's Adventures in Mushroom Kingdom! Sonic the Hedgehog: Through the Warp Zone!

Maybe Nintendo could help Sega develop a Sonic Maker?

BTW, I'm completely serious about all of this.

Formalhaut
10-30-2015, 03:39 AM
They should let Nintendo make a Sonic game. Sonic's Adventures in Mushroom Kingdom! Sonic the Hedgehog: Through the Warp Zone!

Maybe Nintendo could help Sega develop a Sonic Maker?

BTW, I'm completely serious about all of this.

A Sonic Maker could be feasible, definitely.

Vyk
10-30-2015, 04:00 AM
The team that created Freedom Planet. Let them use the deep and solid Archie comics with the Freedom Fighters and super evil Robotic and well developed world

Though I honestly know not much about those comics. Only that they inspired the best Sonic cartoon. And I think that cartoon could make a good game franchise in the right hands

And Freedom Planet was obviously inspired by that cartoon and it was a fantastic Sonic'esque game

maybee
10-30-2015, 04:41 AM
Only that they inspired the best Sonic cartoon.

+ rep

Sonic AM was awesome-sauce.

Also agree with the idea of a Sonic Zone maker ? It would be a really neat idea to create your own zones and have Dr Robotnik/ Eggman bosses at the end of each second Zone. And maybe even have the choice to pick familiar tracks from classic Sonic days and Generations/ Colours.

Wolf Kanno
10-30-2015, 08:07 PM
I kind of feel like Sega should just hold off on making another Sonic game for awhile. He's had so many missteps since the Dreamcast days that I feel it would be best to lay off making a new game and instead just focus on trying to recapture what made him great or brainstorm a means to make him work in a modern game culture. That or the other option of just putting him out of all of our misery.