PDA

View Full Version : Ivalive Alliance vs. the Compilation of VII

Wolf Kanno
11-01-2015, 03:10 AM
So in the mid-aughts, Squenix experimented with creating franchises based around previous properties in the FF mythos. VII got a collection of prequels and sequels to flesh out it's world and the world of Ivalice, first established in FFTactics also gained expansion titles and sequel/prequels to flesh out its world. My question is which did you enjoy more and which property got the best results of this enterprising expansion?

For reference:

Compilation of VII
Before Crisis
Crisis Core
Last Order (OVA)
Final Fantasy VII
Hoshi wo Meguru Otome (novella)
On the Way to a Smile (novella)
On the Way to a Smile Episode Denzel (novella)
Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks ~ The Kids are all right (novella)
Advent Children (film)
Dirge of Cerberus

Ivalice Alliance
Final Fantasy XII (IZJS)
Revenant Wings
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Dive II Hunt: The Adventures of Sorbet (flash)
FF Tactics: War of the Lions
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Crystal Defenders
Final Fantasy Tactics S
Fortress (cancelled)

Ayen
11-01-2015, 03:20 AM
I can't really say since I seldom played any of the games from the Ivalive Alliance yet. So, I'll vote Turtle. Turtles are really good at ninjutsu.

Forsaken Lover
11-01-2015, 03:23 AM
MOJ91H4mraU

Beat that.

EDIT:

Didn't realize we were including the OG's here too. That's tougher, FFVII and FFXII are both really good.

FFXII had better villains.
FFVII had better heroes.
FFXII was more immersive. Love the world.
FFVII had better music.
FFXII's script was better, plus dat voice-acting.
FFVII had a significantly more satisfying ending.

Fynn
11-01-2015, 06:25 AM
The Alliance is awesome. The Compilation is a trainwreck. I think these things work better when they're more loosely connected... Yeah, the choice is pretty obvious to me.

Saber
11-01-2015, 07:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBF1eiR1ZxcIf you don't vote for VII Cloud will go to the Ivalive world and seek revenge.

VeloZer0
11-01-2015, 03:10 PM
On the whole I found them both rather stupid, but for different reasons.

The Ivalice Alliance is completely out of line with the world the FFT created. The style and presentation of Ivalice is completely different in all the titles. The titles created under the Alliance are all self consistent, but I'm just not seeing any connection flavour wise to FFT. It still boggles my mind why they had to re-invent an existing world instead of just creating a new one.

The FF7 compilation was a mess with all the retcons and re-envisioning of Cloud's character. I'm somewhat skeptical that the company who think that this of the FF7 world in this way is going to do the original justice in the remake.

It's a shame as FF7 and FFT are my two favorite games of all time, and I can't say I care for either of their add-on libraries at all.

Madame Adequate
11-02-2015, 05:32 AM
Even though I only like a couple of the games, I acknowledge that Ivalice is an amazing setting and that the games have an incredibly strong aesthetic and worldbuilding/setting appeal. Frankly, I kind of feel like - remake excepted - VII has run it's course, and none of the other stuff ever came close to VII itself. Ivalice certainly doesn't have that problem.

Formalhaut
11-04-2015, 09:29 PM
I preferred the Ivalice Alliance: each game had its own distinct style, but still maintained a common thread throughout Ivalice, sharing the different races, regions (loosely) and so on.

The compilation isn't bad, per se, but because it uses the same characters again and again the chances of each portrayal being different and non-authentic rises.

maybee
11-05-2015, 03:26 AM
Turtles are extremely adorable, so they win overall but FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift is amazing game, and I despise Advent Children and Crisis Core- so yeah, score to the I -Have- lice crew ;3

But Turtles, nobody can beat the Turtles.

:heart: