PDA

View Full Version : Compare & Contrast: Mario/Sonic 3

Ayen
11-04-2015, 10:33 PM
On this week's edition of Ayen's Reviews I call an island a forest. And something about an Italian Plumber squaring off against a super sonic hedgehog. See below!

https://youtu.be/i0pcZq5pXRo

Who do you choose in this ultimate Red v Blue match-up that has absolutely nothing to do with Halo?

Discuss.

Pike
11-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Both are some of the best platformers ever made but I have to give the Edge to Mario 3 because it's my favorite Mario platformer (non-Yoshi that is) but Sonic 2 (rather than 3) is my favorite Sonic platformer.

maybee
11-05-2015, 03:19 AM
Mario 3 because Sonic 3 has that dumb infamous barrel level

http://i.imgur.com/J0Z7qii.gif

Never forgive, never forget.

Rez09
11-05-2015, 04:02 PM
I tend to break up Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles when I'm comparing Sonic 3 to things, and since I found S3 the lest enjoyable Genesis title by a fair margin, and SMB3 is my favorite in the series next to world, I have to give it to Mario 3. :)

Del Murder
11-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Sonic 3 isn't even the best Sonic while Mario 3 is arguably the best Mario. And since Mario is better than Sonic in general, this is an easy choice.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-05-2015, 04:46 PM
I agree with the SMB3 fans. Considering it was made for an older generation console than Sonic 3, it really says something.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2015, 12:50 AM
SMB 3 is, in all honesty, probably the greater game.

But I like Sanic 3 and Knux more.

Sephex
11-06-2015, 01:42 AM
My favorite Sonic is Sonic 3 standing alone. Don't get me wrong, I love it with Sanic & Knackles attached to it, but I felt Sonic 3 was just the right length for the type of game it was.

But yeah, Mario 3 blows it out of the water. Then again, I am a huge Mario fan. But again, don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in the Genesis titles being way up there in classic games that I adore. Adore was also the name of the Smashing Pumpkins album after Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Adore was actually a pretty good album, but too many people were hyped up after MCATIS delivered single after single. I mean, I like the album, but it did have a lot of filler songs since it was a double album. I guess the same thing could be said about The Fragile from Nine Inch Nails, but that's my favorite band, so that album really does it for me. Anyway, people were really hard on Adore. I am not the biggest Smashing Pumpkin fan (doesn't help that Billy Corgan is really full of himself), but I don't like to see people unfair towards things.

And that's sort of how people look at the Sonic and Mario series. The high points make people unappreciative of good things in other games.

Slothy
11-06-2015, 02:09 AM
Sonic 3 isn't even as good as Sonic 2. And Sonic 2 ain't no Mario 3.

Ayen
11-06-2015, 03:12 AM
Sonic 3 for me. I played both briefly as a child and only got back to them recently as an adult, so neither really have much childhood nostalgia for me. Found myself gravitating more towards Sonic 3 during the comparisons, which I explain more in-depth in the video. I always preferred Mario 1 and 2 to 3, honestly. Mario 2 really spoiled me being able to select my character and play as more than just Mario and Luigi.

Skyblade
11-06-2015, 05:39 AM
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of either of these games. I vastly preferred Sonic 3 & Knuckles (or Sonic 2, to be honest) to the vanilla Sonic 3. And, while I loved SMB3 as a kid, I find the movement really off, almost slippery, today. I'll take Super Mario World over either of these guys.

Vyk
11-10-2015, 01:14 AM
I'll be that guy, I always had way more fun with Sonic than Mario. I actually prefer SMB3 over Mario World, but still prefer Sonic 2, 3, & Knuckles over Mario games..

Bubba
11-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Sonic 3 isn't even as good as Sonic 2. And Sonic 2 ain't no Mario 3.

Exactly.

And, while I loved SMB3 as a kid, I find the movement really off, almost slippery, today. I'll take Super Mario World over either of these guys.

Yeah, I agree that Super Mario World's controls were much better. I think that's why I prefer playing SMB3 as it's more of a challenge. Plus Giant World is my favourite :D

In summary, Sonic isn't fit to lace Mario's boots.

Christmas
04-25-2022, 02:11 AM
Unpopular opinion. I like Sonic more than Mario. I played Sega before Nintendo. The former is so speedy and adorable compared to a mustached plumber with a fat belly. :bigsmile:

Galuf
04-25-2022, 04:50 PM
Unpopular opinion. I like Sonic more than Mario. I played Sega before Nintendo. The former is so speedy and adorable compared to a mustached plumber with a fat belly. :bigsmile:

Sonic way better than Mario IMO. Even Sonic Adventures I prefer to Mario 64.
I will one day have to give the series a proper try but even as a youngling could not get into it.
That said the party games are awesome and also it has some cool characters.
Waluigi, Donkey Kong, Browser.

Sonic also has cool characters. Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow is alright too.

Also Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a top tier game. I can't talk about Sonic 3 or SOnic and Knuckles seperataly cos they are so obviously supposed to be 1 game. That said i do prefer the sonic and knuckles half.

Christmas
04-26-2022, 01:25 AM

Sonic way better than Mario IMO. Even Sonic Adventures I prefer to Mario 64.
I will one day have to give the series a proper try but even as a youngling could not get into it.
That said the party games are awesome and also it has some cool characters.
Waluigi, Donkey Kong, Browser.

Sonic also has cool characters. Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow is alright too.

Also Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a top tier game. I can't talk about Sonic 3 or SOnic and Knuckles seperataly cos they are so obviously supposed to be 1 game. That said i do prefer the sonic and knuckles half.

I am keeping you in my basement!! :kaoclove: