PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Real time strategy games?

Lazerface
11-06-2015, 02:55 PM
The Company of Heroes series does it for me. Love that game. Brings out the best of WWII in every way. What's your favorite RTS?

Freya
11-06-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm a big blizz fan when it comes to RTSs. So the Warcrafts and Starcrafts. I also enjoyed the Age of games.

Iceglow
11-06-2015, 06:07 PM
I'd have to say Star Craft is probably my favourite game in this genre (though primarily Star Craft 1, I have wings of liberty but it runs pretty bad on laptops so need to get my desktop going to really enjoy)

Psychotic
11-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 is the greatest ever made and I won't hear otherwise.

Ayen
11-06-2015, 07:17 PM
It's a toss up between Tiberian Sun and StarCraft 2 for me. I think I lean more on the StarCraft 2 side.

Pike
11-06-2015, 08:36 PM
I have long thought StarCraft Brood War is the greatest RTS game of all time. I don't think I can be convinced otherwise.

But runners up are WarCraft 2/3, Age of Empires II and C&C Red Alert II.

Crop
11-06-2015, 08:53 PM
I'll break the mould and say Red Alert 1. I play it to this day and just last week me and a friend hooked up our PS1s and played Skirmish for about 8 hours. I'll never get tired of it.

Slothy
11-06-2015, 09:00 PM
I have long thought StarCraft Brood War is the greatest RTS game of all time. I don't think I can be convinced otherwise.

I'd agree story wise though SC2 plays so much better I have trouble loving Brood War more than it these days.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2015, 09:06 PM
WARHAMS 40K DAWN OF ORKS

Iceglow
11-07-2015, 10:09 AM
WARHAMS 40K DAWN OF ORKS

I forgot about Dawn of War because I haven't played it in bloody ages but YES, YES a thousand fucking times YES.

The first Dawn Of War game and it's expansions were epic. So the maps weren't the most varied and the story beyond the original and winter assault simply consisted of pick an army, proceed to smash every other army in range to pieces until only you remain (pretty much there were very little intrigues in the story development for them) was amazing. I had endless hours of fun playing it though I did get bored in Soulstorm (I think mostly because they tried adding too many little modifiers and the new unit types were perhaps obviously overpowered as fuck) I still need to fire that one up and complete a game of it.

The second Dawn of War game and it's expacs definitely had more story development to them, I really like the squad management system too (nowt wrong with pulling together a massive army and fucking shit up left right and centre but when that army is as selective in it's composition as say a Space Marine Chapter, it does feel kind of disappointing to have a massive army of faceless grunts whom don't seem to have any character to them or progression between battles despite lifespans measured in millenia of war) I only played the first expac for 2 and mean to buy the others when I get the chance but I kind of want to get a better computer first as this laptop I am running with atm is beginning to show it's age.

Wolf Kanno
11-07-2015, 10:13 AM

Rocket Edge
11-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Any between Dungeon Keeper, Warzone 2100, Caesar 3, and Age of Empires 2.

Madame Adequate
11-07-2015, 10:23 PM
The Company of Heroes series does it for me. Love that game. Brings out the best of WWII in every way. What's your favorite RTS?

I'm a big blizz fan when it comes to RTSs. So the Warcrafts and Starcrafts. I also enjoyed the Age of games.

I'd have to say Star Craft is probably my favourite game in this genre (though primarily Star Craft 1, I have wings of liberty but it runs pretty bad on laptops so need to get my desktop going to really enjoy)

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 is the greatest ever made and I won't hear otherwise.

It's a toss up between Tiberian Sun and StarCraft 2 for me. I think I lean more on the StarCraft 2 side.

But runners up are WarCraft 2/3, Age of Empires II and C&C Red Alert II.

I'll break the mould and say Red Alert 1. I play it to this day and just last week me and a friend hooked up our PS1s and played Skirmish for about 8 hours. I'll never get tired of it.

WARHAMS 40K DAWN OF ORKS

I forgot about Dawn of War because I haven't played it in bloody ages but YES, YES a thousand fucking times YES.

The first Dawn Of War game and it's expansions were epic. So the maps weren't the most varied and the story beyond the original and winter assault simply consisted of pick an army, proceed to smash every other army in range to pieces until only you remain (pretty much there were very little intrigues in the story development for them) was amazing. I had endless hours of fun playing it though I did get bored in Soulstorm (I think mostly because they tried adding too many little modifiers and the new unit types were perhaps obviously overpowered as fuck) I still need to fire that one up and complete a game of it.

The second Dawn of War game and it's expacs definitely had more story development to them, I really like the squad management system too (nowt wrong with pulling together a massive army and fucking shit up left right and centre but when that army is as selective in it's composition as say a Space Marine Chapter, it does feel kind of disappointing to have a massive army of faceless grunts whom don't seem to have any character to them or progression between battles despite lifespans measured in millenia of war) I only played the first expac for 2 and mean to buy the others when I get the chance but I kind of want to get a better computer first as this laptop I am running with atm is beginning to show it's age.

Any between Dungeon Keeper, Warzone 2100, Caesar 3, and Age of Empires 2.

Okay... this is the first thread I can ever recall agreeing with literally everyone in, so okay.

Also: Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations. And the first Empire Earth was p. great.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-08-2015, 12:03 AM
I think the only rts I remember playing is age of mythology. I really loved that game and would be interested in continuing with the genre, but never knew where would be best to look. I wish there was digital distribution for the Warcraft games because those have always looked fun to me.

Formalhaut
11-08-2015, 12:49 AM
I've just started C&C Red Alert 2; I'm finding it difficult but I'm sure I'll get the knack of it... eventually...

I've played Empire Earth I and Empire Earth II, and they're both pretty good! When it comes to RTS games, I'm more of a fan of the building and planning element rather than the actual fighting. I guess I'm more of a Sims City kind of guy, which is why I like games which have a focus on non-military considerations.

If it counts, the 'Total War' games are some of my favorites. I've just re-bought Rome: Total War and I'm enjoying the strategy. It's like a huge game of Risk, I love it! The military element I tend to skip (or play if it's obvious I'm going to win) but the town planning and people management and diplomacy I like.