PDA

View Full Version : HDD cloning question

NorthernChaosGod
11-08-2015, 01:08 AM
I'm in the process of building my first gaming PC and I was planning on just cloning my current laptop's HDD to keep my settings/programs in state that I like. Other than drivers/hardware compatibility issues, will I have any issues doing this? Will Microsoft be like, "hey, bruh, you can't run one copy of Windows on two machines" or something to that effect.

EDIT: Or is this just a terrible idea because it causes too many issues?

Spuuky
11-08-2015, 01:53 AM
You can make it work but I wouldn't really recommend it, it does cause all kinds of problems, and the cloning process often fails if the hard drives are different sizes and certainly different architectures.

Windows will keep working but it is probably a license violation.

NorthernChaosGod
11-08-2015, 03:27 AM
What kinds of problems exactly? Other than the drivers I didn't really see a whole lot of issues.

Spuuky
11-09-2015, 03:35 AM
There are more driver problems than you think there are. Depending on version of Windows you are running, it may not even run at all. And it depends on what you have OEM licensing for and things like that.

NorthernChaosGod
11-09-2015, 04:38 AM
I'm running Windows 10 Home, which was upgraded from Windows 8 that was preinstalled on my laptop.

Spuuky
11-09-2015, 08:01 PM
I honestly don't know how it works with the Windows 10 upgrade licenses. No idea.

NorthernChaosGod
11-11-2015, 03:04 AM
Alright, thanks anyway. I've heard more about cloning issues and may just try and make a boot disk from my current computer.