PDA

View Full Version : Daer European members of EoFF...

Wolf Kanno
11-11-2015, 02:38 AM
... this Yankee from the States has a question for you because I partake of many films and shows from your continent. Obviously, there are some "cultural" jokes that simply fly over my head so I am asking someone to clarify this for me. What the hell is up with all the jokes about Belgium?

Does anyone else have some cultural in-jokes they wish to have explained to them?

Mr. Carnelian
11-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Belgium jokes must be more of a mainland Europe thing, because I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'd be happy to explain what a "Cheeky Nando's" is, if anyone is interested. :p

Fynn
11-11-2015, 04:29 PM
I have no clue. I've never heard any jokes about Belgium. I just know they have good chocolate and that that's where the nice French speakers come from. The French are huge dicks, usually.

Mr. Carnelian
11-11-2015, 04:31 PM
The French are huge dicks, usually.

Especially Parisians. They can be so rude!

Shauna
11-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Can I have an example of one of these jokes?

Wolf Kanno
11-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Can I have an example of one of these jokes?

"The Belgium are known for two things: Chocolates and child abuse, and they use the first so they can do the second."

"Belgium? Never trust someone from Belgium the sneaky bastards..."

Psychotic
11-11-2015, 06:06 PM
The only Belgian joke I really know of is "Name 5 famous Belgians" (the joke is that there are no famous Belgians)

FFNut
11-11-2015, 06:38 PM
The only Belgian joke I really know of is "Name 5 famous Belgians" (the joke is that there are no famous Belgians)

Well there is that guy who surrendered to them...
that girl who opened the gates to them...

Those are are the only two that come to mind.

Madame Adequate
11-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Poirot!
The guys what made Asterix!
Yeah that's it.

Also people take the piss out of Belgium because they seem so... weird. Just wedged in there, part Dutch, part Froggy, nobody knows what their deal is. Why is there a Belgium? It's like, I dunno, South Dakota or something. Not offensive, not like New Jersey or something, but just a thing that exists and nobody knows what for.

DK
11-11-2015, 09:22 PM
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13/doobs05/JCVDgif.gif
http://media.giphy.com/media/ICuNlmteTrUoU/giphy.gif

DK
11-11-2015, 09:23 PM
also belgium exists because it has bruges, if it did not have bruges then we would have never had "In Bruges" which would have been a loss for all of humanity.

Mirage
11-11-2015, 11:57 PM
belgium is often made fun of for being extremely unremarkable. No one knows anything about them.

Aerith's Knight
11-12-2015, 07:53 PM
I remember there being a list of Belgium inventions containing stuff like ejection seats for helicopters (yes, I know they exist these day, but I'm guessing they don't shoot up).

It had to do with Belgians being stupid, although I have no clue why.

Formalhaut
11-12-2015, 08:25 PM
I have no clue. I've never heard any jokes about Belgium. I just know they have good chocolate and that that's where the nice French speakers come from. The French are huge dicks, usually.

The French are huge dicks, usually.

Especially Parisians. They can be so rude!

Oh please don't set him off about Parisians.

Fynn
11-12-2015, 08:33 PM
What's the deal with Parisians, Sam?

Pike
11-12-2015, 08:37 PM
I was always under the impression that every European country makes fun of every other European country, much like how every state in the USA makes fun of every other state in the USA

~sibling rivalry~

Mirage
11-12-2015, 08:38 PM
that too, but belgium is special even considering this

Fynn
11-12-2015, 09:09 PM
that too, but belgium is special even considering this

Are you sure this isn't a strictly Scandinavian thing? It's really the first I heard of it. We make fun of Lithanians and Czechs, honestly.

Mirage
11-12-2015, 10:39 PM
the only reason you're not making fun of belgium is that you have forgotten that the country exists

Mr. Carnelian
11-13-2015, 12:27 AM

They're just the rudest people.

I'm aware that that's a sweeping generalisation, but in my experience it's true. All of the rudest French people I've ever met (as well as some of the rudest people I've ever met in my whole life) were Parisians.

I'm not the only one who thinks so. Ask a French person who doesn't live in or near Paris. They will confirm that they are just the RUDEST people.

Laddy
11-13-2015, 03:29 AM

They're just the rudest people.

I'm aware that that's a sweeping generalisation, but in my experience it's true. All of the rudest French people I've ever met (as well as some of the rudest people I've ever met in my whole life) were Parisians.

I'm not the only one who thinks so. Ask a French person who doesn't live in or near Paris. They will confirm that they are just the RUDEST people.

My dad is from Auvergne, though he hasn't lived in France since middle school. He can confirm that Parisians are the worst.

escobert
11-13-2015, 05:19 AM
When I roamed around Europe I had many a meal with a fat old drunken Belgian man. He was nice, but don't get him started about Germans or Austrians!