PDA

View Full Version : Super Metroid

Ayen
11-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Only took me two decades to play it. No biggie.

https://youtu.be/1wRDGHuyHuk

I don't know if it's the subject matter or my experimenting with new shots, but this was the most fun I had since the Street Fighter review.

Talk about Super Metroid and my sexy hair here.

Del Murder
11-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Super Metroid is one of the greatest games ever made and it perfected the 2D exploration-focused action adventure genre commonly referred to as 'Metroidvania'. The crazy part about this game is that people continued to discover secrets and exploits in it years and years after its release.

No comment on the hair.

Sephex
11-12-2015, 01:41 AM
I remember when this game was brand new. Cliche' to say, but it really blew my mind. I wouldn't play it in full until a few years later, though. My cousin was absurdly good at Metroid games, so I say him dominate this one as well as the two other games (at that time).

This game does a great job using music and sound to create an unsettling atmosphere at all times. Even in safe areas the music still is creepy, but it doesn't rely on pure ambiance or typical spooky scary stuff.

The game controls like a dream, too. Plus, it inspired one of the best Castlevania games! Symphony of the Night!

Ayen
11-12-2015, 01:57 AM
The way Ridley comes at you from the background in that 3D effect just about scared the crap out of me. It was a lot more effective than the bird boss fight in the Mickey Mouse game, and I know a lot of it is because of the buildup. It's crazy to think 3D GameCube Ridley can't scare teenage me, but 16 bits Ridley can make me jump at 26. And it's probably because you have full control of your character at the time, it's not just a cut-scene. This game really made me appreciate the 'story through gameplay' style more.