PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Blizzard games

Scotty_ffgamer
11-11-2015, 10:23 PM
So lately, I've been thinking about trying to get into more RTS games and ARPGs (as in, Diablo style) because they are both types of games I have no real experience with. I feel like with both types of games, Blizzard seems to be one of the bigger names with Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo. Just out of curiosity, what's a good jumping point into any of these franchises, which are your favorites, and are there any lesser known games by the company that are worth looking into?

Ayen
11-11-2015, 10:29 PM
I think you'll be fine starting out with StarCraft 1. I played it a couple years back and graphics wise it still looks pretty good for a game that came out in 98 and plays well. Don't skip Brood War. I made that mistake going into 2 and ended up rather confused. I'm not used to expansion packs having major plot advancements, though I should have learned my lesson after Tiberian Sun Firestorm.

Pike
11-11-2015, 11:19 PM
literally all of them are my favorites lmao

For Starcraft definitely play the original + Brood War. Note it is kind of an outdated interface, personally it doesn't bug me at all but that's because I burned hours of my life on this game and I'm a strategy game nerd to begin with. Anyways the gameplay is top-notch. IMO this is the greatest RTS game ever made. Anyways then move on to SC2 and the expansions if you liked the original.

For Warcraft all the current lore is in the MMO (World of Warcraft) but I know that's not everyone's thing. Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne is accessible and easy to play and has some super fantastic missions and stories and characters in it. Bonus points if you go back and play Warcraft 2 but its interface is even more primitive than StarCraft's so just kinda be aware.

For Diablo you can pretty much jump into Diablo 3, with the expansion and everything it's a solid all around game for both beginners and veterans to the genre. If you're feeling adventurous give Diablo 2 a shot.

Heroes of the Storm - it's a MOBA, it's okay, it's fun for a few days if you're already a fan of Blizzard franchises aka Blizzard Trash (like myself)

Hearthstone - it's a card game, it's not really my thing (I prefer other card games) but a lot of people seem to love it. It's based off of the Warcraft universe so you'll get more mileage out of it if you're familiar with Warcraft.

Overwatch - it's not out yet, it's gonna be a shooter (like TF2)

The only really "lesser known" Blizz games I can think of off the top of my head are SNES games like The Lost Vikings and Rock n' Roll Racing. These are actually downloadable from battle.net for free :jess:

I am literal Blizzard Trash so yeah basically ask me if you have any more questions

Scotty_ffgamer
11-12-2015, 12:35 AM
Actually decided to go ahead and get StarCraft now. Pretty excited to try it out.

I used to play World of Warcraft, but I am pretty terrible at MMOs. I actually liked going with parties into dungeons, but I just sucked at it which stressed me out. It was my same issue when the story forced me into dungeons on FF XIV. Every once in a while, I get the urge to play WoW again, but it just has never felt as exciting as when I first played it back when it first came out. I actually had people to play with then too, though.

Ayen
11-12-2015, 12:59 AM
I played a free trial version of WoW years ago and got really into it, and then the free trial version ran out and I was too cheap to afford the monthly subscription. Probably did me a favor, honestly. I don't want to think about how much time I would've burned on that game if I could afford it.

Pike
11-12-2015, 01:01 AM
Honestly I don't know if I'd still be playing WoW right now except half a year back or so they introduced a way to pay for your game time with in-game gold instead of real life money. And because it's surprisingly easy to make gold right now, I've paid for like six months of game time. :up:

Freya
11-12-2015, 01:08 AM
Yeah, that first journey through WoW is amazing. It really is a unique experience I haven't had with other MMOs. Once you get level capped and have to do dungeons or raids, if you're not like me and run around and do stupid trout, then you can get burnt out. But that first venture in and leveling experience is really great. So lots of people get nostalgia glasses for it. You're not alone with getting that urge sometimes haha.

Did you get the first Starcraft or the newer second one? StarCraft is pretty unique in its world compared to the other Blizz games. Warcraft has the RTS, the MMO, and the card game. Starcraft just has it's RTS. Same for Diablo. It is a great RTS though and has a fun story line.

Sadly you can't get Warcraft 2 really anymore. At least you can't buy it on their store. I'd say start there if you are starting Warcraft but merely cause it's a fun 2D RTS and it has boats! :jess: But Warcraft 3 did a great job with the story and hero implementation so it's still fine to just play that one.

The diablo series is fun. I haven't played 3 myself due to lame computerage but I have heard great things. It's very well balanced and actually WoW is stealing some of the class identity and spells from Diablo 3 for the next WoW expansion, or so they've mentioned in the class previews.

Honestly, the reason Blizzard has its own Con is because the games they release are pretty solid and all can stand on their own. Yeah they sometimes take a bit getting expansions out for WoW or SC2 but they always release a solid game. They my have to fix few minor technical things or maybe have to fix some balance of a class or something they didn't have experience with in the beta but the actual content is always top notch. With them getting into a shooter with Overwatch as well, they really cover pretty much every genre. So if there is something you like, you'll find it.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-12-2015, 02:20 AM
I'm playing the first StarCraft now. After I go through this and Brood War, I'll probably pick up StarCraft II. I hadn't noticed how much I've been wanting to play a good RTS for a while now.

Freya
11-12-2015, 02:27 AM
Then Starcraft fits! The newest SC2 just came out yesterday so you'll have plenty to play! I may pick up some starcraft as well so I can prepare for my own SC2 adventure soon. (Just getting SC2 and it's stuff with my new comp) So maybe we can play against each other soon! :D

Slothy
11-12-2015, 02:32 AM
The only really "lesser known" Blizz games I can think of off the top of my head are SNES games like The Lost Vikings and Rock n' Roll Racing. These are actually downloadable from battle.net for free

They actually did the Death and Return of Superman game on the SNES as well oddly enough.

Ayen
11-12-2015, 02:49 AM
The only really "lesser known" Blizz games I can think of off the top of my head are SNES games like The Lost Vikings and Rock n' Roll Racing. These are actually downloadable from battle.net for free

They actually did the Death and Return of Superman game on the SNES as well oddly enough.

???

I'm gonna have to check that game out now.

theundeadhero
11-12-2015, 04:12 AM
Honestly, every one of them is my favorite except Diablo 2. I can jump into any one of them at any time and enjoy it to the end. Starcraft is the only one that really matters if you play the earlier games before the later ones, the rest you just miss minor details.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-12-2015, 05:09 AM
What don't you like about diablo 2? I've always heard its the best in the genre.

Ayen
11-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Same here. Although I usually hear best in the series, not so much the genre.

Also, The Death and Rebirth of Superman is probably the best Superman game I've played. Granted, that's not a very big list.

theundeadhero
11-12-2015, 05:40 AM
I'm the only one I know who doesn't like it. It's just not fun for me to play. I can't point to any specific reasons other then hating the stamina system, which restricts movement speed, but that alone wouldn't stop me from playing an otherwise enjoyable game. When I play it I feel like I felt when watching True Blood with an old girlfriend, I didn't like the show but I sat through it anyway. I've owned a copy since it was new and only I've only managed to complete it twice, rarely managing to find enough motivation to get a character up to Act II. It just isn't for me.

Pike
11-12-2015, 10:20 AM

Yeah they also did Justice League Task Force (I think?) and Blackthorne

They did quite a few SNES games.

As for Diablo - honestly D3 is good enough that it's probably the best Diablo game these days, especially for newcomers to the genre. D2 will get you up to speed with the characters/story, because D3 did some pretty major stuff to them, but it's definitely not required.