PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Original Trilogy: do you prefer the original versions or the "updated" ones

Pike
12-16-2015, 05:01 PM
So remember when George Lucas went in and added like some fancy computer animated stuff to the original trilogy? Do you feel mostly okay with that, or do you prefer the originals?

Mr. Carnelian
12-16-2015, 05:11 PM
So remember when George Lucas went in and added like some fancy computer animated stuff to the original trilogy? Do you feel mostly okay with that, or do you prefer the originals?

The only change which was really necessary was the Jabba change. In the original version of IV, Jabba was just a regular guy, and then he suddenly turns into a massive slug in VI. It didn't make any sense, so I like that they edited IV to make Jabba a slug.

HOWEVER, some of the changes were not only unnecessary, but questionable. In VI, they edited the black singers in Jabba's Palace - two of the only black characters in the whole Star Wars film universe - into CGI thingummies. BUT, they didn't do that to that of the other characters in that scene. I hope that George Lucas wasn't deliberately trying to whitewash that scene, but that's how it comes across.

Freya
12-16-2015, 05:24 PM
He edited it to make Greedo Shoot first which is totally not what happened.

Other than that I wasn't too botherd by the updates.

theundeadhero
12-16-2015, 06:00 PM
I prefer the original originals :p

The only change which was really necessary was the Jabba change. In the original version of IV, Jabba was just a regular guy, and then he suddenly turns into a massive slug in VI. It didn't make any sense, so I like that they edited IV to make Jabba a slug.They only talked about Jabba in the original New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. The scene with him and Han wasn't in the film.

Mr. Carnelian
12-16-2015, 06:15 PM

The only change which was really necessary was the Jabba change. In the original version of IV, Jabba was just a regular guy, and then he suddenly turns into a massive slug in VI. It didn't make any sense, so I like that they edited IV to make Jabba a slug.They only talked about Jabba in the original New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. The scene with him and Han wasn't in the film.

Are you sure? I'm sure there was a scene in IV where he's talking to Jabba and it's a guy, not a slug.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Jabba never appeared until VI originally. The conversation Han has with Jabba in IV was cut from the original if I remember right and then added back in with the special editions. Because it was cut, Han has a conversation with someone else about what he owes Jabba or whatever that is very similar to the Jabba conversation. It's actually kind of awkward in the special edition because you have to sit through the same conversation pretty much twice in a row just with different people.

I don't really mind the changes for the most part. I just got the movies on Blu Ray to watch in preparation for the new one. I don't care about Greedo shooting outside of the fact that the effect to make Han's head move unnaturally out of the way looks bad. I also feel like Greedo missing at that range doesn't make much sense. Either way, you can see that Han had the intention of shooting Greedo with the build up regardless of who shoots first. I don't care about the extra CG details added. I don't mind the Jabba scene in IV even though I find it awkward; although I can understand some of my friend's arguments that they preferred the mysteriousness of not knowing who Jabba is until he appears in Vi. The only change that bothers me is the Hayden Christensen force ghost.

Hollycat
12-17-2015, 10:09 PM
I liked all of it except Greedo. Thank god they changed the ewok village ending.

Slothy
12-17-2015, 11:08 PM

Are you sure? I'm sure there was a scene in IV where he's talking to Jabba and it's a guy, not a slug.

They've included the deleted version of the scene in various releases but it was never in an actual cut of the movie.

And it really never should have been added in since the dialogue is just a rehash of the conversation with Greedo. Many of the lines are actually exactly the same making its later addition completely stupid and unnecessary.

Ayen
12-17-2015, 11:47 PM
I prefer the originals and regret the fact we taped over the original versions with the 1997 re-release, though I don't think the changes were quite as daunting with those.

Araciel
12-18-2015, 04:15 PM
The new ones add literally nothing of value.

Christmas
04-29-2022, 11:22 AM
I like the prequels tbh. I started Star Wars with the prequels and I like the characters and story. The fighting scenes for the prequels are also much better compared to the original. I am a big graphic whore. :bigsmile:

Also, I like seeing Anakin getting bifurcated and the duel between Old Daddy Palpatine and Grandpa Yoda! Epic to the haxxoorrZZZ! :kaoclove:

I do admit the story for the original is much better though, especially Empire Strikes Back.

Galuf
04-30-2022, 12:31 AM
I like the changes in empire the most, they changed the Emperor's ugly looks to looking ugly but recognisable. Also they added a lot of scenery to Bespin.

Now to get more canceled by EoFF: I prefer the ending of Return of the Jedi with
Prequel Anakin rather than Old Anakin. I Also like the prequels overall too, mainly the 3rd one though.