PDA

View Full Version : CLOUD IN SUPER SMASH BROS CONFIRMED

Pike
11-12-2015, 10:46 PM
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/664936500723712000

Skyblade
11-12-2015, 10:46 PM
Cloud confirmed for Smash Bros. as a DLC fighter, with Midgar as a stage (including summons)!

The trailer even makes a motion sickness joke.

Shauna
11-12-2015, 10:47 PM
I...

Is this...

Huh.

Fynn
11-12-2015, 10:47 PM
:omgomg:

Shauna
11-12-2015, 10:48 PM
I just put the two exact same time posted threads together. xD

Pike
11-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Yeah I was in the middle of doing that but I think you beat me to it, haha

Depression Moon
The hell? I would have never expected this. This is a fan dream that became a reality.

Ayen
Crossdress Cloud as an alternate costume, or GTFO Nintendo.

Skyblade
11-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Here you go:
HHJSERl760g

Fynn
11-12-2015, 11:03 PM
I wonder if they'll get Steve Burton to voice him in English.

Pike
11-12-2015, 11:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/A5yJwZB.png

not gonna lie, I laughed

Depression Moon
11-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Cloud looking good. Are the summons apart of his moveset or are they stage hazards?

Skyblade
11-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Cloud looking good. Are the summons apart of his moveset or are they stage hazards?

The summons appear to be stage hazards for the Midgar stage. His moveset is based around his limits (Climhazzard for recovery, Blade Beam and Cross-Slash were all shown, with Omnislash as his Final Smash). His summon animation appears to be a taunt.

DMKA
11-12-2015, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty shocked that the main character of a game that's never appeared on a Nintendo platform and gets more associated with PlayStation than anything else has somehow ended up in a Smash Bros game. o___O

I mean it's cool but shocking.

Depression Moon
11-13-2015, 12:02 AM
Well Cloud is in Theatrhythm and Chain of Memories apparently.

Skyblade
11-13-2015, 12:04 AM
I'm pretty shocked that the main character of a game that's never appeared on a Nintendo platform and gets more associated with PlayStation than anything else has somehow ended up in a Smash Bros game. o___O

I mean it's cool but shocking.

Maybe this was just to make sure that Playstation All Stars never sells another copy? Their best character has now gone over to the competition.

Freya
11-13-2015, 12:13 AM
I was not expecting this... at all. Wow.

Sephex
11-13-2015, 01:15 AM
Pretty cool. There already seems to be a lot of people that completely fail to understand how the video game industry works. Yes, Final Fantasy VII was a Playstation title, but Square-Enix owns the rights pertaining to the games. So they can throw whatever character on whatever platform they want. Cloud is a Square-Enix character. Not a PlayStation character. It's seriously not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Ack, sorry, it's just that this is cool news, but I already have been seeing so many try hards coming out of the wood work claim that Cloud can't appear on a Nintendo thing when the Brawl had the Playstation heavy Snake appear on it. Even with stages, music, and plenty of assets in Brawl. EDIT: Just thought of this too. Music from MGS4 was in Brawl. At the time, MGS4 was not released. Nintendo let a Playstation 3 game get advertised on the Wii. Welcome to 2008. So again, people need to stop freaking out.

Gamers are the worst people.

Agent Proto
11-13-2015, 01:19 AM
I found this rather surprising, but it's not like this hasn't happened before. Recall Ryu and Snake. I think Cloud works well since imo, he represents the FF franchise as a whole than just FF7 in specific, and it did get its start on the NES.

Ayen
11-13-2015, 01:35 AM
Pretty cool. There already seems to be a lot of people that completely fail to understand how the video game industry works. Yes, Final Fantasy VII was a Playstation title, but Square-Enix owns the rights pertaining to the games. So they can throw whatever character on whatever platform they want. Cloud is a Square-Enix character. Not a PlayStation character. It's seriously not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Ack, sorry, it's just that this is cool news, but I already have been seeing so many try hards coming out of the wood work claim that Cloud can't appear on a Nintendo thing when the Brawl had the Playstation heavy Snake appear on it. Even with stages, music, and plenty of assets in Brawl. EDIT: Just thought of this too. Music from MGS4 was in Brawl. At the time, MGS4 was not released. Nintendo let a Playstation 3 game get advertised on the Wii. Welcome to 2008. So again, people need to stop freaking out.

Gamers are the worst people.

But, Sep, you're a gamer. You are what you hate the most!

DUN! DUN! DUNNNNNNNNNNNN! Nah, I jest.

Also, lol. FFVII wasn't even a PlayStation exclusive. It came out on the PC a year later.

Mirage
11-13-2015, 01:58 AM
I...

Is this...

Huh.

My thoughts exactly.

In either case, MGS Solid Snake actually did appear on Gamecube, and the earlier Metal Gears were also playable on Nintendo consoles. Cloud hasn't been on any Nintendo console... yet. I'm partial towards a NX version of the FF7 remake.

Colonel Angus
11-13-2015, 02:33 AM
Now I think I want to get this.

Will there be a Cloud amiibo? In fact, is there a Ryu amiibo? I know all the other characters in the game have them.

Skyblade
11-13-2015, 02:38 AM
Now I think I want to get this.

Will there be a Cloud amiibo? In fact, is there a Ryu amiibo? I know all the other characters in the game have them.

It was confirmed when Lucas was revealed that all DLC characters are getting amiibo.

Wolf Kanno
11-13-2015, 02:56 AM
Oh joy, the two things I hate listening to fanboys drone on about are together in one title. :wcanoe:

I Took the Red Pill
11-13-2015, 07:02 AM
If this make any of y'all go out and buy the game and you're looking to get y'allz asses whooped in some WiFi matches lemme know.

Fynn
11-13-2015, 07:29 AM
I...

Is this...

Huh.

My thoughts exactly.

In either case, MGS Solid Snake actually did appear on Gamecube, and the earlier Metal Gears were also playable on Nintendo consoles. Cloud hasn't been on any Nintendo console... yet. I'm partial towards a NX version of the FF7 remake.

Sigh...

As someone said: Theatrhythm, Chain of Memories. Those are games that exist. With Cloud in them. On Nintendo systems.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Cloud looks like a very potent character based on the trailer, but we'll see once he's out in the wild. It looks like his special set is Cross-Slash (B)/Blade Beam (Side-B)/Climhazzard (Up-B)/Finishing Touch (Down-B) with Omnislash as his Final Smash.

I do have to hand it to Sakurai on this one; absolutely nobody I know saw this coming, and he managed to keep it under wraps until the official reveal.

Forsaken Lover
11-13-2015, 08:06 AM
http://i.imgur.com/H6HmmAc.jpg

Fynn
11-13-2015, 08:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/H6HmmAc.jpg

Why is Bowser missing from this? I am so disappointed.

Pike
11-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Oh joy, the two things I hate listening to fanboys drone on about are together in one title. :wcanoe:

every party has a pooper that's why we invited you

Fynn
11-13-2015, 11:44 AM
I just wanna know when I can download him already!

Rin Heartilly
11-13-2015, 12:41 PM
I will definitely be buying a Cloud Amibo then, the only others I bought were pikachu and Kirby because I'm a sucker for the cute characters lol Does it already show what his moveset is like? Because when I first heard the news I remember thinking "Oh please don't let his moveset be another generic swordfighter moveset like the fire emblem crew"

Mirage
11-13-2015, 03:54 PM
I...

Is this...

Huh.

My thoughts exactly.

Sigh...

As someone said: Theatrhythm, Chain of Memories. Those are games that exist. With Cloud in them. On Nintendo systems.

Filthy spinoff titles.

Fynn
11-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Chain of Memories is the best game in the series, sorry :monster:

Skyblade
11-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Cloud looks like a very potent character based on the trailer, but we'll see once he's out in the wild. It looks like his special set is Cross-Slash (B)/Blade Beam (Side-B)/Climhazzard (Up-B)/Finishing Touch (Down-B) with Omnislash as his Final Smash.

I do have to hand it to Sakurai on this one; absolutely nobody I know saw this coming, and he managed to keep it under wraps until the official reveal.

So, how does the Limit system work for him, then? It looks like he deliberately charges it, and then gets buffs to all of his other attacks and specials. I think that has to be one of the special moves.

Del Murder
11-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Who has appeared in more games? Cloud or Lightning? Cloud has the clear age advantage but they've really been pimping Lightning in the last decade.

Skyblade
11-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Who has appeared in more games? Cloud or Lightning? Cloud has the clear age advantage but they've really been pimping Lightning in the last decade.

Answer honestly, Del:

Is there any RPG character in history with more recognizability and greater iconic status than Cloud?

That, I think, is what put him in the game.

Ayen
11-13-2015, 07:23 PM
I just wanna know when I can download him already!

By gawd, Fynn! Cloud is a human being with thoughts and feelings! Not some personal boytoy you can download on your iPhones and play with! Have you no decency! >:0

Agent Proto
11-13-2015, 11:25 PM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/902f823360bc87eeff109401b79404ed/tumblr_nxqhp3JLMh1si3s0do1_540.png
https://40.media.tumblr.com/53e74582b147573d9733d54f55c2c4a8/tumblr_inline_nxqhlssW4h1s9vvkm_540.png

DMKA
11-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Man all the brand loyal shit flinging that's currently taking place as a result of this is enough to make me hate that it happened.

Fynn
11-14-2015, 05:54 AM
It's ridiculous. I mean, what is this, 2001?

maybee
11-14-2015, 12:05 PM
> Cloud in Smash, psssh yeah right. Nice try interwebs, this is clearly a Never Going To Give You Up video.

> Oh my words, it's real ! I don't believe it ! Cloud Strife is in Smash ! I love Cloud ! Cloud ! Cloud in Smash ! Today is truly a glorious day ! Oh my ! So many childhood flashbacks heading back ! Cloud Strife in Smash ! I love Cloud ! CLOUD STRIFE ! And look at all the details, like Cloud being seasick in the Zelda boat ! Bless. Bless Nintendo. I don't believe it. Cloud Strife, in smash !

> ehhh

> .... I wish that it was Squall or Zidane instead.

Forsaken Lover
11-14-2015, 12:10 PM
People playing Smash: Who the hell are Squall or Zidane?

Skyblade
11-15-2015, 02:57 AM
J1F6rZ86CXQ

An analysis of moves, animations, references, the stage, and other details from the reveal trailer.

Though I'm pretty sure they got several of the specials wrong.

Sephiroth
11-15-2015, 05:12 AM
I just bought Atelier Sophie for 86€. Now I have to spend another 50€. You have done it again, Japan.

P.S.: Good job. Finally not only Mewtwo and Link but a guy who gets the job done and does not lose his princess in 20 games.

Skyblade
11-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Also, quick survey:

Who here does not own a Nintendo console, or has never bought an amiibo figure, but will try to buy Cloud's amiibo when it comes out?

Sephex
11-15-2015, 07:21 PM
I don't have a single amiibo because I think it's very shady that Nintendo intentionally doesn't release enough of them to meet demand (of course this excludes limited edition ones because that's the point). As a result, I don't even bother with them. Screw that noise.

Fynn
11-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Nah. I don't get the Amiibo hype, like at all.

Skyblade
11-16-2015, 02:59 AM
I don't have a single amiibo because I think it's very shady that Nintendo intentionally doesn't release enough of them to meet demand (of course this excludes limited edition ones because that's the point). As a result, I don't even bother with them. Screw that noise.

Actually, there never was intentional under-supply. The amiibo shortages were caused by a number of distribution problems (primarily of which was the dock strikes in California). Inability to distribute led to inability to sell, which in turn led to manufacturers making less for future product runs (which affected worldwide supply). During the third and fourth waves of Smash amiibo, every amiibo delivered to America was flown in instead of shipped in on boats, which was much more expensive, and resulted in much smaller numbers to maintain profitability. It was only after the dock strikes lifted and sales stabilized that manufacturing caught up.

These days amiibo are nowhere near as rare. You can go into a store several days late and still pick up new releases off the shelf, even of rare or highly sought after characters. And restocks have come through on several different models, with more print runs promised.

Bright Shield
11-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Speaking of amiibos. I really want a Lucas.

Mirage
11-27-2015, 04:03 AM
The real problem with amiibos is that they used the cheapest possible NFC chip on the market. The chip they use in amiibos is of the same type that you'd use for disposable one-time paper tickets for trains and subways and the like. That's also why they have so little storage space that they can only support one game (with write capacity) at a time.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Does that mean they'll have a shorter shelf-life too? Sounds pretty disposable, and people probably want them to work for a while.