PDA

View Full Version : UFC upset shocker: Ronda Rousey loses title to Holly Holm

SuperMillionaire
11-16-2015, 02:04 PM
On Saturday night, November 14, or Sunday morning, November 15, in Australia time, in Melbourne, Australia, UFC fans got the shock of a lifetime when Ronda Rousey, who was previously undefeated, and won many of her previous fights in 60 seconds or less, lost by knockout in the second round to the also undefeated Holly Holm, in what was probably the biggest upset in UFC history. As a result, she lost her title of the UFC women's bantamweight champion. They're already talking about a rematch. After the match, she was taken to a hospital.

Freya
11-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Holm made Rousey look like an amateur. Holm was undefeated too I heard. Rousey's plan was to take her down early, when she couldn't do that, she had no other plan. She hasn't really gone against anyone who is actually really skilled and been doing it so long. She couldnt' handle going against an actual boxer/kickboxer.

Rousey didn't even touch gloves at the beginning which is super disrespectful.

DK
11-16-2015, 04:02 PM
was one of the most satisfying fights I've ever seen. straight up broke her jaw with the first solid left and then put a masterful beatdown on her. couldn't happen to a nicer person either!

sharkythesharkdogg
11-16-2015, 04:08 PM
I appreciate that it was a decisive performance. There was no question that Holm more than held her own from the highlights and fight descriptions I heard.

I would like to point out that calling Rousey stupid or a failure detracts from what Holm accomplished. Rousey is still lethal, and has shown that over and over. Congratulations to Holm. She gave us a fantastic fight, and a fantastic win over a very skilled advesary, and really brought her A game. She's still undefeated herself, and so she must now watch out for the trap of complacency.

I'm actually more excited to Rousey fights after this. Now she lost, now she has motivation, and now she must really see if she can pass the test of being a fighter. Let's see if she comes back from this with focus and determination.

DK
11-16-2015, 04:20 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/ExhaustedWindingDassie.gif

this is awesome. also dat timing tho, unnnfff.

Crop
11-16-2015, 04:24 PM
She tried to fight Holm's fight and got punished for it, she went into the fight expecting to win. Of course the UFC can't have their poster boy (girl) going down (especially since Jon Jones imploded) so an instant rematch has been set up and I'm fairly confident she'll win it.

That said Holm was great, and I'll certainly be routing for her again in the rematch. I'm not a fan of Rousey, she's a great fighter but the hype surrounding her was getting to a ridiculous level, and she doesn't come across as a nice person at all.

Ayen
11-16-2015, 06:17 PM
I don't know how or why, but when I saw a picture of them with Holm right up in Rousey's face I said to myself, "She's gonna win." And then sure enough she won.

Should have went to the bookie...

Sephex
11-16-2015, 10:17 PM
I've said this on Facebook and agitated a couple of people, and straight up pissed off one of my friends, but this match has proven to me how flaky MMA fans are in my eyes. Now, I understand that Rousey has acted like a jerk and done things that makes her a pretty crappy person at times. In fact, even though I didn't have a horse in this race, I did happen to see a gif of the pre fight thingy and I even could tell she was acting way too cocky, so I actually figured she would lose. I compared it to how Rocky was acting in Rocky III (and I even have heard a couple of sports analysts use that comparison, as well)!

Anyway, while I expected hype backlash if she lost, the amount of it is RIDICULOUS. People are trying to tell me that they were drowned out by Rousey supporters or that a bunch of people held their tongues on saying bad stuff about her. Still...the backlash was so severe that I think a good chunk of people are simply just riding the waves. Had she won most of those same people would be carrying on about how awesome she is.

Now, the one friend of mine that got made interpreted me of bashing all MMA fans. That's not it. I know that hardcore MMA fans haven't liked her for awhile and that most people that supported her were casual fans and whatnot. So if anything, THOSE are the people I am criticizing. It's more the general pool of MMA fans that I feel are flaky. Not the hardcore people that literally watch every match and know the ins and outs of all the fighters and styles.

I mean, there are tons of controversial players and figures in all sports. Win or lose people react about the same. I get this is Rousey's first defeat, so that makes this a bigger deal, but holy hell. When I saw people kissing her ass to acting like she was the next Hitler all in the same hour? Uh yeah, that to me just shows how flaky people are.

Freya
11-16-2015, 10:53 PM
I still like Rousey. She likes Vegeta and so do I. I also like Holm, but that's cause the boyfriend has that hometown pride thing about her being from New Mexico and hasn't shut up about her.

This fight really showed the difference in the type of fighters. Rousey specializes in Judo and Holm is a boxer/kickboxer. Rousey hasn't had a challenge really yet. The Women's MMA field is just not that big, the sport isn't big enough yet. It's still very young and in its infancy. So going against Holm was her first legit challenge. I defintely think she let her own hype get to her because it seemed that Holm was prepared for Rousey's moves but not the other way around. With Rousey losing, she's going to be able to reacess her gameplan and work harder toward being that champ she was. It's good and probably leveled her out.

The uproar over both Rousey taking people down quickly and her getting defeated is a good thing. It's boosted the hype and more people are actually paying attention to it. It's been great for the sport.

People are super fickle though. They are with most sports they know about but aren't actively following.

NeoCracker
11-16-2015, 11:57 PM
As far as Rousey being kind of a dick to her competiters, I'll let all of you in on a little something. UFC isn't really booked in the most sensible way a lot of the times, it's Booked like Professional Wrestling. Now the fights are legit, but the trash talking between competitors, the matches they choose to set up regularly behind done between people with issues with each other, it's all modeled after Professional Wrestling. There are even a lot of the old school guys like Jim Cornette commenting on this.

I recall a while back seeing an interview with a male UFC fighter basically owning up to this, saying he didn't really hate the guy, but he talked like that in interviews to build up hype for the match. Even Rousey herself spoke of similarities between hyping up her matches and hyping up a Pro-Wrestling match.

Fights are real, but a lot of the hoopla surrounding them is a work. :p

Ayen
11-17-2015, 12:24 AM
"UFC is wrestling without the predetermined endings." -Jim Cornette

Of course, never tell UFC fans that. They're liable to implode since a lot of them look down on wrestling.

Sephex
11-17-2015, 01:44 AM
As far as Rousey being kind of a dick to her competiters, I'll let all of you in on a little something. UFC isn't really booked in the most sensible way a lot of the times, it's Booked like Professional Wrestling. Now the fights are legit, but the trash talking between competitors, the matches they choose to set up regularly behind done between people with issues with each other, it's all modeled after Professional Wrestling. There are even a lot of the old school guys like Jim Cornette commenting on this.

I recall a while back seeing an interview with a male UFC fighter basically owning up to this, saying he didn't really hate the guy, but he talked like that in interviews to build up hype for the match. Even Rousey herself spoke of similarities between hyping up her matches and hyping up a Pro-Wrestling match.

Fights are real, but a lot of the hoopla surrounding them is a work. :p

That's actually one of the reasons why I was sort of baffled at one of my buddies snapping on me and going off about how Rousey deserved to lose because of the way she was acting. I even pointed out how they acted that way because of the hype, and if one is going to condemn Rousey for being a jerk then why are you watching a sport where the objective is to demoralize and beat the crap out of people, anyway? Shouldn't all fighters get the same grief?

As with most things, the dishonesty of people surrounding this bothers me. If people would just admit that they simply wanted to see her taken down a peg, I would be fine with that. But nope, lots of these people have to try to put themselves on a pedestal and find a flimsy excuse on why they wanted to see someone get beat up. Lame.

Old Manus
11-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Re dishonesty and fake trash talk: Does nobody watch Boxing? It's always been like that.

blackmage_nuke
11-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Most sports that involve physical contact really.

Del Murder
11-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Rousey is a beast and one loss isn't going to set her back. Her losing has actually been great publicity for her sport and female athletes in general. Not that I'm saying there's anything suspicious there...:shifty:

Got to love the alliteration in both these ladies' names. Those are total wrestling names.

Depression Moon
11-17-2015, 06:14 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/ExhaustedWindingDassie.gif

http://i.imgur.com/CBQec1w.gif

SuperMillionaire
11-21-2015, 07:55 PM
You know, as much as I don't like MMA because of its overly gratuitous violence, I couldn't help but be fascinated by Ronda Rousey. I always wondered, "how does she do it?", and "why does she do it?". Now, I never watched any of her fights, but I saw the replays, and I always wondered how she was able to beat her opponents so quickly. Some of her fights lasted less that 60 seconds, some lasted less than 30 seconds, and one didn't even last 15 seconds. I also had to wonder how fictional fighting game characters, such as Chun-Li from Street Fighter, would fare against her.

The reason why I don't like MMA is because it has a very gritty, gnarly image. It is a very violent sport, and the UFC and other MMA organizations emphasize the violence. I also thought that those fighters looked like thugs. 10 years ago, whenever I thought of martial artists, I thought of a person wearing a traditional white martial arts outfit, called a gi. Nowadays, thanks to the UFC, I think of this person wearing just shorts and a pair of fingerless gloves, along with a whole bunch of tattoos all over his or her body, almost resembling a gangster. And their faces don't look the prettiest, either; they looked quite scary, if you asked me. TV Tropes calls it the face of a thug.

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161713-The-2015-Sports-Illustrated-Swimsuit-Issue-cover

Also, regarding something I said about Ronda Rousey in the above previous thread: I dissed Ronda Rousey's Sports Illustrated swimsuit photoshoot upon my first look at it, but I took a second look at it, and I changed my opinion. The reason why I initially dissed her photoshoot was because initially, the thought of her in a swimsuit was a bit weird, if only because she is just so manly. I mean, look at her; she is very manly; anyone who does what she does has to be manly. I also couldn't imagine any guy in their right state of mind wanting to go out with a gal like her because of how manly she is. She is basically a very tough macho manly man in a woman's body, if you ask me. Thus, that's why I said that, like Wolverine of the X-Men, she was the best at what she does, but what she does is not very nice, although now, since she was defeated by Holly Holm, I guess it's her who's the best at what she does, though again, what she does is still not very nice.

Freya
11-21-2015, 11:53 PM
She's a woman in a womans body. That's kinda sexist, bro.

Ayen
11-22-2015, 03:06 AM
It ain't ballad, bruh.

SuperMillionaire
11-30-2015, 01:55 PM
She's a woman in a woman's body. That's kinda sexist, bro.

Why would you say that's sexist? I referred to her as a "macho man in a woman's body" because that's exactly what she is. She is very macho and manly. Anyone who does what she is has to be macho manly.

Also:

"UFC is wrestling without the predetermined endings." -Jim Cornette

Of course, never tell UFC fans that. They're liable to implode since a lot of them look down on wrestling.

I should also let you know that Ronda Rousey happens to be a fan of WWE professional wrestling, and that she has participated in a number of Wrestle Mania events.

As for her trash-talking, yes, she does trash talk a lot. Of course, maybe this will teach her a lesson in humility. Though I personally think that they should cut trash-talking all together.

And furthermore, a rematch won't happen quite so fast; she has been suspended from fighting for at least 60 days. In the meantime, she has plenty of Hollywood films to work on, as she's also an actress.

Freya
11-30-2015, 03:48 PM
You think macho = manly. Being strong does not mean they are manly. She is a woman who is strong :colbert:

Ayen
11-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I saw her guest appearance with The Rock at last year's WrestleMania. I think Dana White is afraid of her jumping ship to WWE at some point.

Why she get suspended? First I heard she got injured during the fight against Holm, and then another source claiming that was fake. As if White was trying to save face for the beat down.

SuperMillionaire
12-04-2015, 05:35 PM
You think macho = manly. Being strong does not mean they are manly. She is a woman who is strong :colbert:

Macho IS manly. That's what macho means. And I say she's manly because of how strong and tough she is. She fights like a man!

Freya
12-04-2015, 06:09 PM
She fights like a girl. You should just stop, you're digging a whole silly milly.

Shauna
12-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Technically, by definition, macho is manly.

So maybe you just shouldn't use the word "macho" to describe Ronda Rousey. Maybe use "physically strong looking".

Slothy
12-04-2015, 07:08 PM

Ayen
12-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Ronda fights like a lvl99 Monk.

NorthernChaosGod
12-05-2015, 11:12 PM
She fights like a girl. You should just stop, you're digging a whole silly milly.

She is a girl. She fights like a fighter.

SuperMillionaire
12-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Technically, by definition, macho is manly.

So maybe you just shouldn't use the word "macho" to describe Ronda Rousey. Maybe use "physically strong looking".

To me, everyone in the UFC is macho manly, both male and female fighters. It's a manly sport.

Shauna
12-10-2015, 04:00 PM
No, it's a sport.

Mirage
12-10-2015, 07:11 PM
The sport might be male-dominated, but that doesn't mean the sport is macho. Soccer is dominated by men too, but people still don't call female soccer players macho.

Old Manus
12-10-2015, 08:57 PM
I think y'all are stretching it a bit in a bid to disagree with SuperMillionaire. If there is any sport one was to describe as 'macho', it would be UFC.

Mirage
12-10-2015, 11:49 PM
wow, i didn't know you were a traitor, manus

Formalhaut
12-10-2015, 11:55 PM
This is turning into near-Academia level proportions :p

If UFC is to be called macho, it is only given that label due to society's socially constructed notions of what type of activity necessitates 'manliness'. In this case, mixed martial arts, physical injury and fitness. If I have to be honest, calling anything 'manly' or 'womanly' puts barriers to participation. If a woman wanted to train in mixed martial arts, but still retain a sense of femininity, I don't think she would be treated positively.

In the same way, boxing has this sort of problem as well, I think.

SuperMillionaire
12-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Gratuitous violence and trash talking are manly. That's why I say that MMA is a manly sport. It's gritty, gnarly, and quite gruesome, at times.

But I also have to wonder why women's boxing isn't popular on TV. If women's MMA is popular, why isn't women's boxing popular?

NorthernChaosGod
12-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Gratuitous violence and trash talking are manly.

No they're not.