PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Bubba
11-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Who suffers from this?

I get the piss taken out of me because I have to stir my tea 32 times. EXACTLY 32 TIMES. I used to stir it four times. Then I progressed to eight. Then to sixteen and now I've settled on 32.

I told my Mum about this recently and she confessed that whenever she eats a yoghurt, she has to shake it exactly 32 times before opening it! She started with four, then eight, then sixteen. I clearly get it from her. Also, my brother has to use shower gel four times when he's in the shower. God help his toiletries budget if he starts increasing like me and my Mum.

Come on EOFF, tell me all your weird s***

Del Murder
11-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Now we know if Bubba stops posting a few years from now it's because he's too busy stirring his tea 65,536 times.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Occasionally, I have to rub my fingers over surfaces in what I consider balanced patterns.

So if I run my finger over the cover of a book for example, and it starts like this.

Up, Down.

Then I have to proceed with;

Down, Up
Down, Up
Up, Down

I don't know why, and it's not all the time.

EDIT: So yes, sometimes it looks like I'm trying to input the fucking Contra code on a book or magazine. Damn analog video games.

Pumpkin
11-20-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't actually have OCD, but probably the closest is the need to rip toilet paper and paper towels exactly along the line. I will seriously waste an entire roll if I have to. The reason it's the closest I come to OCD is because I have an overwhelming sense of dread if I don't, like my boyfriend is going to be in a car accident or something if I don't, even though on the surface I know how stupid it is.

It's probably rolled over from a few years ago when I was in an abusive relationship. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago now, I used to have to shower at the same time, wake up at the same time, eat at the exact same time every day. I also had to do the toilet paper thing and a few other oddities like that, because I was in denial about the state of my relationship. He would not come home until like 2 am and be verbally (and sometimes physically) abusive, after having wasted money all night on drugs and beer and things while I had minimal food and our bills were piling up.

So when he came home on time one day, I would then replicate that day over and over again in as close to the exact same pattern as I could, because I believed that that's what would make him come home. I had to look out the window at certain times and all of that. It was pretty miserable. I guess it was easier for me to believe that he wouldn't come home and he would be abusive because I didn't perform a certain ritual, rather than accepting that he was a bad person and did bad things.

So I think the paper towel/toilet paper one is just something that carried over, and it will get worse when I'm feeling more stressed than usual

Sephex
11-23-2015, 04:55 AM
Who suffers from this?

I get the piss taken out of me because I have to stir my tea 32 times. EXACTLY 32 TIMES. I used to stir it four times. Then I progressed to eight. Then to sixteen and now I've settled on 32.

I told my Mum about this recently and she confessed that whenever she eats a yoghurt, she has to shake it exactly 32 times before opening it! She started with four, then eight, then sixteen. I clearly get it from her. Also, my brother has to use shower gel four times when he's in the shower. God help his toiletries budget if he starts increasing like me and my Mum.

Come on EOFF, tell me all your weird s***

So your tea stirring habits basically grow like video games did. When will your tea come with a Pentium Processor.

Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago. Pentium: Intel Inside.

Shiny
11-23-2015, 03:40 PM
The closest thing I have to OCD is straightening pens when they're crooked on a table but most of the time I don't care care enough to do that.

Madame Adequate
11-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Occasionally, I have to rub my fingers over surfaces in what I consider balanced patterns.

So if I run my finger over the cover of a book for example, and it starts like this.

Up, Down.

Down, Up
Down, Up
Up, Down

EDIT: So yes, sometimes it looks like I'm trying to input the fucking Contra code on a book or magazine. Damn analog video games.

Yeah I used to be like this too, fortunately it has faded away as I grew older.

It was pretty bad at one point because I didn't finish where you did. This is what mine looked like at it's worst;

Up, Down, Down, Up, Down, Up, Up, Down,
Down, Up, Up, Down, Up, Down, Down, Up,
Up, Down, Down, Up, Down, Up, Up, Down.

(Though it was always with left and right instead of up and down.)

Sephex
11-23-2015, 11:53 PM
That's a weird way to describe the Konami code.

Madame Adequate
11-24-2015, 03:06 AM
Nah that's the code I used on your mom last night

BOOM ROASTED

Ayen
11-24-2015, 03:09 AM
I think the closest I have is my need to scratch or chew on any smooth surface I can find. If I can't chew I just rub or scratch it. Almost every single paperback I hold I have to scratch at some point.

krissy
11-24-2015, 05:11 AM
when i cross my eyes while drinking to see what im drinking in the glass i have to cross them an even number of times

i dont let my teeth touch unless im facing the edge of a white surface

i only blink when seeing white surfaces (so like letters on highway signs while driving for example)

it used to be much worse as a kid, i had like physical tics that i had to perform, like neck twists and the like

Colonel Angus
11-24-2015, 05:38 AM
I always put my lock on a certain number & pull on the handle & punch it before I walk off.

I also get funny about doors, shaking the handles multiple times to be assured their locked.

Mirage
11-27-2015, 04:22 AM

BOOM ROASTED

Did you need infinite stamina?

iXanon
11-27-2015, 07:22 AM
It's probably rolled over from a few years ago when I was in an abusive relationship.Just wanted to say thanks for sharing - it sounds like a horrible time in your life.

I also get funny about doors, shaking the handles multiple times to be assured their locked.I wouldn't say I have OCD, but I'm certainly paranoid about security which I think stems from my car getting broken into and having my sat nav and iPod stolen about 5 years ago. The thought of someone taking something that isn't theirs when you've worked and saved damn hard for what you have - the thought of someone breaking in to my home and stealing my gadgets truly sends shivers down my spine - so I always thoroughly check my doors are locked both when leaving my house and go to sleep for the night.

I've also stopped being an idiot and now take my (new) sat nav and iPod out of my car after use.. ;)

Sephex
11-27-2015, 10:23 AM

BOOM ROASTED

Not as bad as I roasted you when...

you know...

uh...

when the thing...

i also boinked yer mum

sharkythesharkdogg
11-28-2015, 05:39 AM

Up, Down.

Down, Up
Down, Up
Up, Down

EDIT: So yes, sometimes it looks like I'm trying to input the smurfing Contra code on a book or magazine. Damn analog video games.

Yeah I used to be like this too, fortunately it has faded away as I grew older.

It was pretty bad at one point because I didn't finish where you did. This is what mine looked like at it's worst;

Up, Down, Down, Up, Down, Up, Up, Down.

(Though it was always with left and right instead of up and down.)

Yeah, it never got quite that bad with me, but it did start to extend into extended patterns like that to "truly" balance out the pattern.

I'd just have to sit there and remind myself that it was all ridiculousness in my head and ignore it. Fortunately for me, it wasn't very bad so I could ignore it without too much concern after a while.