PDA

View Full Version : when you guys say "DQ" I think "Dairy Queen"

Pike
11-23-2015, 01:37 AM
apparently it means Dragon Quest, though :shifty:

Tell me video game related acronyms/terms that you get confused, or that you always think mean something completely different!

Ayen
11-23-2015, 01:39 AM
I think the same thing.

I was part of a RP called Dead Sight some years back that used 'DS' as their acronym. So now every time I see 'DS' (the Nintendo hand system) mentioned my mind defaults to that site.

Slothy
11-23-2015, 02:55 AM
MOBA confuses me. Not because I don't know what it means, but rather I don't know how it ever came to exist as a name for a specific type of game when multiplayer online battle arena literally describes pretty much every competitive multiplayer game where you fight other people in some way.

It's the most specifically applied broad term I've ever seen.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-23-2015, 03:05 AM
In regular conversations, when people say "my gf", I always think guardian force from ff viii. That's about it.

Jinx
11-23-2015, 03:15 AM
Donkey Qong

Sephex
11-23-2015, 04:48 AM
apparently it means Dragon Quest, though :shifty:

Tell me video game related acronyms/terms that you get confused, or that you always think mean something completely different!

I had an ex that worked at a Dairy Queen when I happened to be playing through a Dragon Quest game. She was spying on me to see if I would inexplicably start a relationship with someone online because even though I am far too lazy to do that saw me type DQ for Dragon Quest and wonder why I was talking about her work.

I called her a Hairy Queen and she got mad.

Colonel Angus
11-23-2015, 07:04 AM
In regular conversations, when people say "my gf", I always think guardian force from ff viii. That's about it.
When people say "my SO" I think Senior Officer, despite the fact I never served in the military.

Rez09
11-23-2015, 10:43 AM
KotR.

I don't watch wrestling, and I never really have, but whenever I see KotR I always think King of the Ring, unless it happens to be one of the few times that's what people mean, in which case I invariably see it as Knights of the Round. . _.

EDIT: Also, when people SAY it, I sometimes think they might be talking about Knights of the Old Republic. It makes any variation of the statement, 'You know, KOTR was pretty good,' as a blind transition easily one ambiguous I ever encounter.

Crop
11-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Pretty sure DQ stands for disqualified.

fat_moogle
11-24-2015, 03:37 PM
GoW (God / Gears of War).

Slothy
11-24-2015, 04:42 PM
There's also hots. Is it heroes of the storm or heart of the swarm? Even Blizzard doesn't know.

Spuuky
11-24-2015, 05:44 PM
I only get confused when I see the dev from Defender's Quest talking about his game (DQ) because I always think of Dragon Quest.

blackmage_nuke
12-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Whenever someone starts talking about MW, I get a little excited until I realise theyre talking about Modern Warfare and not MechWarrior

Fynn
12-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Funnily enough, I've recently started the DQ series and we don't have Dairy Queen here, so the association is lost on me :p

CimminyCricket
12-09-2015, 04:56 PM
I'm going to go to Dairy Queen and get their the world tree's woe and the blight below sunday. I'm wicked stoked for some tree woe and blight.

Aerith's Knight
12-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Not really in a game, but I didn't know what ''lol'' meant for 4 years on the intertubes since it means fun in Dutch.