PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Movie Director

Wolf Kanno
11-23-2015, 05:12 AM
I'm watching too many videos on Youtube, and having too many conversations with my film student buddies lately. So that is why this topic came up. Who is your favorite film director and why? What are some of their best works and what part of their style do you like the most?

Fynn
11-23-2015, 05:44 AM
Probably Darren Aronofsky. I love how suspenseful and surreal his movies are. I don't think I've dislike any movie of his that I've seen so far, though Requiem for a Dream is one that I probably won't see again ^^' Not because it's bad, since it's really good, but because it's way too stressful to watch. My favorites are probably Black Swan, The Fountain and Noah.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-23-2015, 07:40 AM
Wes Anderson is my favorite. His movies are all beautiful to watch with every shot very well composed. The Royal tenenbaums is probably my favorite. Rushmore and the Darjeeling limited sometimes end up on top for me though.

charliepanayi
11-23-2015, 09:38 AM
That's a tough one, I'm not sure I could pick just one. I love much of Woody Allen's 70s and 80s work for how funny it is, but he has been much patchier since the mid-90s. The Coen brothers have proven equally good with comedy and dark drama. And when it comes to world cinema, there's a Japanese director called Hirokazu Kore-eda whose work is beautiful in a low key sort of way. He is especially good at working with child actors.

blackmage_nuke
11-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Christopher Nolan but only when he is writer and director. His movies really make me think. Was a bit disappointed with Interstellar though. Plot was a bit predictable.

My second favorite is Joe Wright. I didn't think it would be possible for me to enjoy the story of pride and prejudice but his pacing and camera direction keep me involved. Pan didnt have such interesting pacing or camera direction unfortunately.

Bubba
11-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Probably Darren Aronofsky. I love how suspenseful and surreal his movies are. I don't think I've dislike any movie of his that I've seen so far, though Requiem for a Dream is one that I probably won't see again ^^' Not because it's bad, since it's really good, but because it's way too stressful to watch. My favorites are probably Black Swan, The Fountain and Noah.

I'll have to give Aronofsky another try. I absolutely hated Black Swan. It's the only film that made me wish I could have those two hours back. It's the only one of his I've seen though so I'll reserve judgement on him for now.

The director responsible for most of my favourite movies is actually Ridley Scott. His films can definitely be hit-and-miss but his high-end quality films are incredible.

Fynn
11-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Sorry, Bubba, but we can't be friends anymore :colbert:

Bubba
11-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Sorry, Bubba, but we can't be friends anymore :colbert:

Ehh, we weren't that close anyway :D

Jinx
11-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Tim Burton.

#2edgy4u

Laddy
11-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Darren Aronofsky
Ang Lee
Alfonso Cúaron
Kathryn Bigelow
Christopher Nolan
Ridley Scott
Guillermo del Toro
Hayao Miyazaki

Formalhaut
11-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Am I the only who watches a film not really caring about the director? Half the time I don't even care about the lead roles. If a film looks good, I'll give any director a crack. I do hear good/bad things about many directors, like apparently most of M. Night Shyamalan's films are terrible, but I've never really seen any of his films to give feedback.

Ayen
11-24-2015, 03:36 AM
I don't have a favorite or least favorite director. And unless it's one of the rare known ones half the time I don't even know who's directing. I just see films that catch my interest. Or if the leading lady is really, really hot.

Wolf Kanno
11-24-2015, 06:19 AM
The thing about liking/caring for a director really comes down to liking their styles. Wes Anderson, and Quentin Tarantino have very distinct and recognizable styles in all of their films while other directors sometimes have more subtle styles.

Favorites for me are:

Wes Anderson
Quentin Tarantino
Hayao Miyazaki
David Fincher
Alfred Hitchcock
and Satashi Kon

oz49vQwSoTE

blackmage_nuke
11-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Am I the only who watches a film not really caring about the director? Half the time I don't even care about the lead roles. If a film looks good, I'll give any director a crack. I do hear good/bad things about many directors, like apparently most of M. Night Shyamalan's films are terrible, but I've never really seen any of his films to give feedback.

For me anyway, Its not that I'll not watch a film just because it has a bad director or a director I've never heard of, it's just that I like to keep track of good directors so I can watch other stuff they've made and make sure I keep an eye out for any new stuff they have coming out.

I mean if a movie has mixed reviews and I dislike the director's other works, it'll probably tip me over to not watching it but if it's highly acclaimed I'll give it a shot.

Fynn
11-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Oh man, I love Satoshi Kon! His films were really awesome. I actually heard that he and Aronofsky actually inspired each other a lot :D

Might wanna see Perfect Blue, Bubba, as that's a big inspiration for Black Swan - maybe you'll like it better?

Bubba
11-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Might wanna see Perfect Blue, Bubba, as that's a big inspiration for Black Swan - maybe you'll like it better?

Not gonna judge Mr Aronofsky on one film so I will give Perfect Blue a whirl :D