PDA

View Full Version : Written or Video Reviews?

Ayen
12-05-2015, 03:55 AM
I'm curious if anyone here has a preference when it comes to the type of review they follow. Do you prefer something you can simply read with images to give you an idea of what's being reviewed, or do you prefer a visual medium for the... visual medium (excluding books, obviously)?

From a creator's standpoint I must confess the written word is a lot easier and less time consuming, but there's something rather satisfying about talking in front of a camera while showing footage of the subject you're reviewing and editing it all together. Especially when you have less resources than most and therefore have to be more creative with what you have to work with.

Discuss.

Mirage
12-05-2015, 12:25 PM
I prefer written review most of the time. I also prefer written guides and written most things. It's easier to search through them for specific info, rather than having to watch the entire video and hope they mention what I'm interested in knowing.

Few things annoy me more than having to watch a 2 minute video to find information that could have been condensed into three lines of text.

Aerith's Knight
12-05-2015, 12:29 PM
I prefer video reviews, but it has to be entertaining. If a piece is written, like Mirage says, you just find the part that you want. In a video review, if captivating, you get a lot more bang for your buck.

Pumpkin
12-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Mostly written

MJN SEIFER
12-16-2015, 07:03 PM
I like both, but you can probably take more time to say all you need to say on a written one. It is nice when people add things to their video reviews, but if I'm interested in the subject I can just listen to a person, or people talking. It is cool when they add something though, and if I did video reviews, I would try to add something. That said, I think I do better with written reviews.

When it comes to watching/reading a review, I prefer it if it's more detailed.

Del Murder
12-17-2015, 08:08 AM
I almost never watch video reviews. I like to skim reviews to focus on the main points and videos more or less force you to sit through the whole thing.

Sephex
12-17-2015, 08:12 AM
If I am looking for something informative I prefer written stuff most of the time.

If I want to be entertained I'd rather watch a video most of the time.

Pike
12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Written for sure. This goes for news too. So many times I click on an interesting sounding link and it ends up being a video and I just close it in frustration.