PDA

View Full Version : FFVII Remake Gameplay Trailer

charliepanayi
12-05-2015, 06:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAn30VSXgys

Fox
12-05-2015, 06:42 PM
At the Playstation Experience today, a new FFVII Remake Trailer was shown, including a snippet of some gameplay!

zPoOWVhSgys

Jessie!
Biggs!
Wedge!
Barrett! Why are you wearing those sunglasses Barrett? It's the middle of the night in Midgar. I mean I know you're going to set off some pretty major fireworks, but still...

Pike
12-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Merged the two threads.

Also, HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Looks like Crisis Core's battle system with a few twists.

DMKA
12-05-2015, 06:48 PM
NOOOOOOOOO IT'S AN ACTION RPG BAWWWWWWW WHY SE WHY!?!? ;___________;

No seriously though it looks AMAZING oh my God. :chocobo::chocobo::chocobo::chocobo::chocobo:

Fox
12-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Thanks Pike!

I want to see that battle sequence play out in longer form. It looks on face value like KH, but there's a little bar under the characters name that I want to look at in more detail. My guess is that's what's going to fulfill the role of the ATB in whatever form it exists in.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 06:49 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!:eager::omgomg:

DID YOU SEE IT? DID YOU SEE IT? :dance: THAT LOOKED AWESOME!

DAMMIT SQUARE I NEED IT NOW!

charliepanayi
12-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Have already seen some people complaining about Barrett wearing sunglasses. Who cares?!

Fox
12-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Have already seen some people complaining about Barrett wearing sunglasses. Who cares?!

I will happily mock him for the sunglasses, cause they're dumb.

They do, however, suit him and look really cool. So I'm not complaining!

Ayen
12-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Let me get this straight, you're going to mock an Eco-terrorist with a group of fighters who is big, strong, and has a gun for an arm for what he wears on his face?

Good luck.

Fox
12-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Let me get this straight, you're going to mock an Eco-terrorist with a group of fighters who is big, strong, and has a gun for an arm for what he wears on his face?

Good luck.

It's OK. I'm a keyboard warrior and with that gun on his arm he can't type too good.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Let's be honest, Jesse's probably the only one there who knows how to use a computer.

Psychotic
12-05-2015, 07:10 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!:eager::omgomg:

DID YOU SEE IT? DID YOU SEE IT? :dance: THAT LOOKED AWESOME!

DAMMIT SQUARE I NEED IT NOW!I was basically coming to say this. Thanks for saying it for me!

Have already seen some people complaining about Barrett wearing sunglasses. Who cares?!We need a Barret deal with it meme.

Freya
12-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Oh just saw this! omg omg omg!

Depression Moon
12-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Something like this needs to be on the front page. Game is looking slick. Too bad Square was predictable in making the game non-turn based, but I ain't mad considering this is one of my least favorites in the series. The models look tight, I like the redesign of Barret's Big Shot limit break, but I think it's a weird choice to have Barret sporting shades now. Why?

That shine on the Buster Sword as Cloud runs through the city looks really good.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 07:23 PM
I don't even care the battle system isn't turn based. It looks awesome!

Gameplay trailer of Tifa next!

Freya
12-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Something like this needs to be on the front page. Game is looking slick.

I was working on it, it's there now haha.

Mirage
12-05-2015, 07:28 PM
I am very disappointed that the trailer did not end with cloud looking seductively towards the camera while on don corneo's bed

Depression Moon
12-05-2015, 07:33 PM
I am very disappointed that the trailer did not end with cloud looking seductively towards the camera while on don corneo's bed
You a trip.

Mirage
12-05-2015, 07:34 PM
I don't know what that means.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 07:56 PM

The world's not ready. It would implode on itself and create mass hysteria!

krissy
12-05-2015, 08:16 PM
excited again

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Anyone else notice the Guard Scorpion fight appears to be taking place on the train Cloud escapes from instead of in the reactor?

Editga: Whoops my bad, I didn't notice the cut from Cloud escaping shifting back to the reactor. Nevermind.

Freya
12-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Think about how this new combat system is going to play out with fights like Emerald and ruby weapons or the sephy battle. OMG this is going to be ammmmmmmazing.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 08:52 PM
How the hell did I miss the Guard Scorpion last time!?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

http://i.imgur.com/Lr5lwKQ.gif

Big D
12-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm truly stoked for this. The gameplay and visual design are everything I could have hoped for. We seem to have confirmation of controlling multiple party members in battle. Midgar looks and feels like Midgar, only with loads more exploration and detail. Specific cut-scenes, action set-pieces and dialogue have been retained, indicating a true remake of the original rather than a fanciful re-imagining.

It looks like the combat will be somewhere between FFXII and Kingdom Hearts. I saw both Barret and Cloud being controlled in the gameplay clip, with the traditional FFVII menu options for each. It doesn't seem as high-flying and spammy as KH's combat, which I like, but a little more hands-on than FFXII.

Barret's sunglasses may be silly and unnecessary, but there's nothing to indicate he'll retain them for the whole story - I can imagine him ditching them and showing his care-worn eyes when Avalanche's plans go south - and they don't represent a major departure from any previous plot or character points anyway.

It's still early days, but if this video is indicative of the tone and style for the entire remake, then it's likely to be everything I could've hoped for. That's coming from someone whose first, and favourite, FF is number 7.

Crop
12-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Looks good...looks good. I think the only two things I'm reserved about now are how they're going to handle the lighter sides of the game (I want to see HD Cloud in a dress please!), and how they handle Cloud in general. Hopefully since replaying FFVII while getting information for the remake, they've realised Cloud isn't the moping emo they turned him into in later titles.

Fynn
12-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I don't mind any of this.

I'll be happy with any changes as long as they leave the Compilation nonsens out of this.

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2015, 09:50 PM

I'll be happy with any changes as long as they leave the Compilation nonsens out of this.

*waits for Genesis, Deep Ground, and the Legendary Turk to make cameos in the next trailer.*

Big D
12-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Hopefully since replaying FFVII while getting information for the remake, they've realised Cloud isn't the moping emo they turned him into in later titles.I'm pretty sure he'll be consistent with his portrayal in the original game. After all, he kind of took a turn for the grim and glum after discovering his true past. Who else would approach the final confrontation with a meagre "alright everone, let's mosey"? His gloomy persona in the sequels was a deliberate writing choice, I think - an understandable result of everything he'd been through, and everything he'd lost. Once the fight to save the world was over, I can imagine him closing off the way he did.

So I don't think that'll effect how he's portrayed in the remake; he'll likely go on the same arc he did originally: Cold-hearted mercenary at first, then chipper-but-conflicted leader, then emotional wreck, then finally shattered and rebuilt with a clear understanding and a clear, grim sense of renewed purpose.

*edit*

[QUOTE=Fynn;3574227]*waits for Genesis, Deep Ground, and the Legendary Turk to make cameos in the next trailer.*Who/what is the 'Legendary Turk'? Dirge of Cerberus is the only FFVII spinoff I've played, so I'm likely missing a few things.

charliepanayi
12-05-2015, 10:12 PM
I've been amusing myself by seeing of the more outraged YouTube comments re: the battle system. My favourite was 'Looks like I'll have to stick with the original. Thanks for ruining part of my childhood.' Well, if you can still play the original, how have they ruined anything?!

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2015, 10:19 PM
*waits for Genesis, Deep Ground, and the Legendary Turk to make cameos in the next trailer.*Who/what is the 'Legendary Turk'? Dirge of Cerberus is the only FFVII spinoff I've played, so I'm likely missing a few things.

From Before Crisis, he helps the other Turks (there are quite a few of them) fight off the original AVALANCHE which was created by Rufus Shinra to make his father look bad and let him position himself into taking over the company. The group is hijacked by an environmental extremist ho uses the Zircondia summon to try and destroy Shin-Ra and the planet (and also used the power to let a girl named Elfe go toe-to-toe with Sephiroth to his surprise) and then summoning it summoned the Jade WEAPON who also tried to wipe out humanity before being stopped by the Turks. He and other Turks mysteriously vanish after the battle and only show up again during Meteorfall to help evacuate Midgard.

It was a Japan only cell-phone game and the first game developed by Hajime Tabata. Crisis Core makes references to it and Cissenei made her debut in BC before appearing in CC. The game is currently the only part of the Compilation to not leave Japan though Tabata mentioned he would love to remake the game for the 3DS.

Big D
12-05-2015, 10:24 PM
*waits for Genesis, Deep Ground, and the Legendary Turk to make cameos in the next trailer.*Who/what is the 'Legendary Turk'? Dirge of Cerberus is the only FFVII spinoff I've played, so I'm likely missing a few things.

From Before Crisis, he helps the other Turks (there are quite a few of them) fight off the original AVALANCHE which was created by Rufus Shinra to make his father look bad and let him position himself into taking over the company. The group is hijacked by an environmental extremist ho uses the Zircondia summon to try and destroy Shin-Ra and the planet (and also used the power to let a girl named Elfe go toe-to-toe with Sephiroth to his surprise) and then summoning it summoned the Jade WEAPON who also tried to wipe out humanity before being stopped by the Turks. He and other Turks mysteriously vanish after the battle and only show up again during Meteorfall to help evacuate Midgard.
Sounds like the writers experimented with the Summon Cocaine materia before coming up with that. Holy hell.

Jinx
12-05-2015, 10:25 PM
meh

DMKA
12-05-2015, 10:39 PM

*waits for Genesis, Deep Ground, and the Legendary Turk to make cameos in the next trailer.*
Kitase actually said in an interview a little while ago that none of the new characters introduced in the compilation will be featured in this game.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 10:52 PM

Kitase actually said in an interview a little while ago that none of the new characters introduced in the compilation will be featured in this game.

....:|

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
:praisethesun::praisethesun::praisethesun::praisethesun::praisethesun::praisethesun::praisethesun::p raisethesun::praisethesun:

Fox
12-05-2015, 11:12 PM

YAY no Genesis!
AWW​ no Cissnei

Sephex
12-05-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm pretty pumped for this. They changed the battle system nearly exactly like I thought they would. Not sure what people who are disappointed were expecting. It's not 1997 anymore, and as much as I like old RPGs, a classic ATB system doesn't really jive with modern day standards. Imagine if someone back in 1997 said FFVII sucked because it didn't play like a DOS D&D game. Sure, you can understand their preference, but expecting a style from 20 years back is a little unrealistic.

Jinx
12-05-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty pumped for this. They changed the battle system nearly exactly like I thought they would. Not sure what people who are disappointed were expecting. It's not 1997 anymore, and as much as I like old RPGs, a classic ATB system doesn't really jive with modern day standards. Imagine if someone back in 1997 said FFVII sucked because it didn't play like a DOS D&D game. Sure, you can understand their preference, but expecting a style from 20 years back is a little unrealistic.

your face is unrealistic

Ayen
12-05-2015, 11:17 PM

your face is unrealistic

No more Mrs. Nice Jinks.

Fox
12-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Nah, I get the disappointment even if I don't particularly share it. You know, we had action games back in 1997, but there were plenty of people who preferred the slower pace of something turn based like FFVII. It gave you more time to think, it didn't rely on having good reflexes (I have terrible reflexes - it's why I suck at many action games) and it allowed you to micro-manage your entire party, and tell each of them exactly what to do. And that's very appealing to a lot of RPG players - and still is, just play the latest Pokemon or something tactical like XCOM. Flashy action isn't a pre-requisite even these days.

And nothing happened to suddenly make those bad game mechanics. I'm not entirely sure why they fell out of favour, it's not like Final Fantasies 1-10 sold badly or anything. They're only 'outdated' because Square stopped using them in Final Fantasy, and truth be told I'm not entirely sure that's a decision that's worked out for them.

YoshioKST
12-05-2015, 11:27 PM
You know, I'm not entirely convinced its not going to be turn-based to a degree. During combat, there's a bar filling up while the characters attack, and it's full and red whenever they're using Limit Breaks and that blue-dash attack Cloud did. (brand new Limit Break? Maybe Braver can be used horizontally as well?) Maybe you can use attacks that take a small portion of your gauge, in the style of stamina meters? This seems deep, good stuff.

Fox
12-05-2015, 11:29 PM
You know, I'm not entirely convinced its not going to be turn-based to a degree. During combat, there's a bar filling up while the characters attack, and it's full and red whenever they're using Limit Breaks and that blue-dash attack Cloud did. (brand new Limit Break? Maybe Braver can be used horizontally as well?) Maybe you can use attacks that take a small portion of your gauge, in the style of stamina meters? This seems deep, good stuff.

Yes, I think you're onto something there. It seems to slowly decrease when they're not attacking, fill up once they're attacking and then go red once it's full. So some kind of stamina system seems likely, and will probably be one of the ways it encourages you to use different characters ("Oh, Cloud's on cooldown! Time to switch to Tifa!")

Big D
12-05-2015, 11:30 PM

Kitase actually said in an interview a little while ago that none of the new characters introduced in the compilation will be featured in this game.That's pretty fantastic news. No retcons to incorporate the retcons from the later stories? That just reinforces my optimism that the game's being remade, and not reinvented or rewritten.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 11:30 PM
Nah, I get the disappointment even if I don't particularly share it. You know, we had action games back in 1997, but there were plenty of people who preferred the slower pace of something turn based like FFVII. It gave you more time to think, it didn't rely on having good reflexes (I have terrible reflexes - it's why I suck at many action games) and it allowed you to micro-manage your entire party, and tell each of them exactly what to do. And that's very appealing to a lot of RPG players - and still is, just play the latest Pokemon or something tactical like XCOM. Flashy action isn't a pre-requisite even these days.

And nothing happened to suddenly make those bad game mechanics. I'm not entirely sure why they fell out of favour, it's not like Final Fantasies 1-10 sold badly or anything. They're only 'outdated' because Square stopped using them in Final Fantasy, and truth be told I'm not entirely sure that's a decision that's worked out for them.

I once seen the original battle system of FFVII called dated and compared to Pokemon in a negative way solely because of how the elements and stuff worked. And that was by a fan of FFVII. So there are people out there who find the mechanics from 20 years ago bad. And with games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, and The Elder Scrolls being so popular I can't really blame Square for going the more action-originated route. And honestly? I kind of prefer it in this case. It looks like it's going to compliment the game quite well.

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2015, 12:39 AM

If you're talking about this interview (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/23/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-more-realistic-but-wont-have-new-characters/) from Famitsu. He never said anything about the Compilation, which technically would be "old" characters seeing how it's been ten years since that fiasco started. He simply said no "new characters" which looking at ports and remakes of other JRPGs, it tends to be trendy to shoe-horn in a new character to mix it up for old fans. So I would say its still a possibility this game will tie into the Compilation unless you're referencing a different interview.

Laddy
12-06-2015, 01:18 AM
I was intrigued but now I'm full-on excited. Hell yes I'm stoked. The battle system looks more action-y but it doesn't feel like it's all that different otherwise based on the like...30 seconds of footage. Excitebikes!

Tyson
12-06-2015, 01:59 AM
It looks so goooooood!!!!!

This has exceeded my expectations completely, I for one wanted an Action based system and they seem to sticking very loyal to the story. Pretty much all the dialogue is ripped straight from the original from what I can tell!

8ther
12-06-2015, 02:55 AM
Development video featuring Yoshinori Kitase, also according to him the game isn't completely action-based

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JYdkLp5XaQ

Fox
12-06-2015, 03:01 AM
Reddit makes an interesting point re the battle system: There is a 'Defend' command at the bottom of the menu. Now that would be quite an awkward position for such a command in a full action RPG... imagine having to scroll down to 'Block' in The Witcher 3.

escobert
12-06-2015, 03:19 AM
I think it looks great, I can't wait for it. A few of my friends are all pissed off saying it looks like a Michael Bay movie. But, whatever, I just want more FFVII in my life.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 03:22 AM
I think it looks great, I can't wait for it. A few of my friends are all pissed off saying it looks like a Michael Bay movie. But, whatever, I just want more FFVII in my life.

Man, even FFXIII doesn't deserve that kind of insult.

Edit: It's official. My cousin, who hates Final Fantasy VII with a passion, likes how the remake looks more than FFVII fans (the ones complaining on places like Youtube and the likes). That is seriously messed up.

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2015, 03:23 AM

Man, even FFXIII doesn't deserve that kind of insult.

Yes it does. :wcanoe:

I've also decided I really don't like Wedge's VA. He sounds like he just hit puberty. Barret is voiced by the same guy who does Jet Black on Cowboy Bebop so I'm pretty happy about that.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 03:28 AM
I thought Wedge sounded pretty squeaky. He's only around at the beginning of the game so no biggie.

Biggs also isn't quite how I imagined him, but his voice I'm fine with.

Fox
12-06-2015, 03:32 AM
I have a friend who really loves RPGs but never liked Final Fantasy. Type-0, XV and the VII remake are the first ones he's been interested in because he enjoys real-time combat.

Although he does also like Persona, which is turn based, so I dunno what's up with that.

Either way, they're gonna lose some people who were really attached to the old system, but at the same time they're going to bring in new people - like my buddy - who couldn't get on with it.

http://i.imgur.com/iCaEwpZ.jpg

krissy
12-06-2015, 05:35 AM
maybe they're going for a parasite eve thing, where your location matters but it's still atb?

Ayen
12-06-2015, 05:40 AM
maybe they're going for a parasite eve thing, where your location matters but it's still atb?

Ooh! That would be cool! I loved how you could run around during a battle on Parasite's Eve.

Psychotic
12-06-2015, 09:25 AM
So let me get this straight. The fanboys have been demanding for years that Square remake FFVII and now that they're finally doing it said fanboys are pissed off because Square are remaking FFVII.

That's almost as dumb as hating a game based on a couple of minutes of trailer footage.

maybee
12-06-2015, 10:56 AM
So hyped ! It looks so amazing ! Hopefully we get to see some Tifa and Aerith next trailer ! As for the battle system, it looks grand, and this is coming from somebody who despises the action rpg battle systems. Lmao at Barret's sunglasses.

https://49.media.tumblr.com/a35c96cb2df6f3c3132354f029d03dd0/tumblr_nk9qx2DpSB1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Rostum
12-06-2015, 10:58 AM
I am so pumped for this I don't even. It looks amazing, especially considering it's early development! I don't care if they completely change the battle system, as long as they make it unique in the series but still offer those nostalgic feels.

Shiva95
12-06-2015, 01:38 PM
I really love that gameplay trailer. I can't wait to play the game! :)

Carl the Llama
12-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm not that bothered about these alleged fanbois complaining, they will bitch and moan, but they will still probably buy the game, if not then meh, idc if some idiot decides not to play it, not like it will make any difference to me lol.

Trailer of course, looks amazing, really hyped :)

Aulayna
12-06-2015, 02:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6IjYKvr.gif

Skyblade
12-06-2015, 02:33 PM

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

"Oh, wow, this game sold fantastically by staying true to its roots and sticking to what made JRPGs the beloved genre they once were. Our attempts to push things that appeal to a mass audience while ignoring the core demographic have failed utterly (see Hitman Absolution)! Because of these, we're going to stay true to the heart of our genres in our AAA games from now on!"

"You guys wanted this turn-based game remade for years? Here you go, take this action RPG (in a market already glutted with them) instead! Sure, the combat system will ruin the pacing of the game, destroy the original systems people love, and will ignore the core audience of JRPG fans. But that's nothing, just wait until you see Genesis in the Shinra mansion!"

Vote Skyblade for Most Dramatic Member Ciddie!

Mirage
12-06-2015, 02:35 PM
So let me get this straight. The fanboys have been demanding for years that Square remake FFVII and now that they're finally doing it said fanboys are pissed off because Square are remaking FFVII.

That's almost as dumb as hating a game based on a couple of minutes of trailer footage.

I don't think you got that straight.

The fanboys have been demanding for years that Square remake FFVII and now that they're finally doing it said fanboys are for the most part ecstatic.

Fox
12-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Thinking about it, one other little concern I have about changing the battle system is will we get the proper battle music and victory fanfare? Will Cloud do his little 'let's decapitate everyone within 6 feet of me' dance?

I would miss all those small things if they didn't feature in the remade system. If you're playing heavily on nostalgia - and an FFVII remake is about as far down that road as you can get - those little touches are important!

Mirage
12-06-2015, 03:06 PM
might be reserved for boss fights, or other extraordinary encounters

i hope they have arrangements of the normal battle theme based on where in the word you are

fat_moogle
12-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Thinking about it, one other little concern I have about changing the battle system is will we get the proper battle music and victory fanfare? Will Cloud do his little 'let's decapitate everyone within 6 feet of me' dance?

I would miss all those small things if they didn't feature in the remade system. If you're playing heavily on nostalgia - and an FFVII remake is about as far down that road as you can get - those little touches are important!
Maybe they could do what they did with FFXII and use the victory fanfare after you've defeated a boss.

Also, amazing trailer! I can't wait to see more gameplay of the other party members! The ONLY complaint I have so far is Wedge's VA. Everything else looks on point!

Fox
12-06-2015, 03:29 PM
i hope they have arrangements of the normal battle theme based on where in the word you are

That's a nice idea, I like that.

The ONLY complaint I have so far is Wedge's VA. Everything else looks on point!

VAs will be interesting. So far they seem to be sticking to the Advent Children cast where applicable, but I really hope they get Andrea Bowen for Aerith. I loved her in Crisis Core, but Mena Suvari was so unsuited to the part I don't think I could stand her all the way up to the end of disc 1. (And yes, I am always going to use disc number as a measurement point :))

Fynn
12-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Oh yes, PLEASE bring back Andrea Bowen, she was so perfect!

Also, I think this is as good a place as any to say this, but I love that really subtle Southern drawl that Steve Burton brings into Cloud :3:

Jinx
12-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Personally I'm not loving the way the battle system looks. The voice acting is okay. Wedge sounds horrible, Jessie sounds kind of weird too.

But all said, I'll still buy the game when it comes out.

Mirage
12-06-2015, 03:44 PM
and what's why they're remaking it :p

Freya
12-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Maybe they could do what they did with FFXII and use the victory fanfare after you've defeated a boss.

Also, amazing trailer! I can't wait to see more gameplay of the other party members! The ONLY complaint I have so far is Wedge's VA. Everything else looks on point!

That's what the combat reminds me of! XII! Cause you can see them switch between characters. It feels like XII and kindgom hearts

Mirage
12-06-2015, 03:51 PM
that's a combination i can live with

fat_moogle
12-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Talking of XII, I'm really intrigued to see how Square Enix handle the character management system in the FFVII Remake. I wasn't a fan of Gambits, but I admit that the system was very deep and gave you complete control! Maybe too much control for my liking...I was awful at setting Gambits >.>
I can't see it being as deep as that, though. The Materia system is pretty simple :)

Sephiroth
12-06-2015, 06:22 PM
And this is why Square will always know Final Fantasy better than the fans that ignore them.

They even made Barret cool.

Formalhaut
12-06-2015, 06:27 PM
The combat looks great, but as I am not dependable when playing Action RPGs, I would appreciate a slowing time mechanic so you can think about your next action more. The reason why I loved Mass Effect so much was because I could literally pause time so I can concentrate on my next move. Any system that would make it more 'user-friendly' would make me happy.

Otherwise, it looks good! I'm excited for a trailer that showcases areas outside Midgar. Midgar is pitched just right, as a sort of moody, glum looking affair. I'd want to see how they tackle nicer areas, like Kalm.

Sephex
12-06-2015, 06:41 PM

And you have listed one of the many reasons why I absolutely hate gamers and gaming culture. The general fanbase of video games is very spoiled and immature, and the hardest of the hardcore fans of anything still can't figure out why the industry still isn't taken as seriously as something like the movie or music industry.

Sephiroth
12-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Interestingly enough they really decided to use the original Buster Sword for the remake.

YoshioKST
12-06-2015, 07:00 PM
all the way up to the end of disc 1. (And yes, I am always going to use disc number as a measurement point :))

Dang, I hadn't even thought about this. I still miss disk changing screens. I suppose we might get a little "End of Part 1" or something upon reaching that scene.

Mirage
12-06-2015, 07:05 PM
I don't think we will. Maybe SE has enough humor do put in a fake "change disc" screen just once, but I doubt it.

Sephex
12-06-2015, 07:10 PM
I don't think we will. Maybe SE has enough humor do put in a fake "change disc" screen just once, but I doubt it.

The way they acknowledged that sort of thing in MGS4 was one of my favorite parts of that game.

fat_moogle
12-06-2015, 07:56 PM
all the way up to the end of disc 1. (And yes, I am always going to use disc number as a measurement point :))

Dang, I hadn't even thought about this. I still miss disk changing screens. I suppose we might get a little "End of Part 1" or something upon reaching that scene.
I agree, something like this would be a nice touch! I could live without it though because OMFG REMAKE!!!

Mirage
12-06-2015, 08:01 PM

The way they acknowledged that sort of thing in MGS4 was one of my favorite parts of that game.

It should be a perfect replica of the exact same change disc screen as in the original game, same font, colors, and everything.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 08:32 PM

Luckily for us Final Fantasy VII has already delivered to us the perfect response.

http://i.imgur.com/UEPwFkF.png

Never before has this quote been more appropriate.

Depression Moon
12-06-2015, 08:47 PM
One of the biggest threads I've seen on this forum in a while. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else in the game will look and especially the monsters. VII's the ugliest game in the series to me, but this looks great and with how good the monsters look in XV, I'm expecting similar for VII.

fat_moogle
12-06-2015, 09:01 PM
One of the biggest threads I've seen on this forum in a while. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else in the game will look and especially the monsters. VII's the ugliest game in the series to me, but this looks great and with how good the monsters look in XV, I'm expecting similar for VII.
I pray that there are still wild Motorcycles and Houses roaming in and around the outskirts of Midgar xD

Ayen
12-06-2015, 09:04 PM

The Weapons are going to be even more terrifying and awesome.

fat_moogle
12-06-2015, 09:20 PM

The weapon cutscenes are going to be amazing =o

Colonel Angus
12-06-2015, 09:33 PM
This looks phenomenal. Now I know I'm going to have to get a PS4.

fat_moogle
12-06-2015, 10:08 PM
This looks phenomenal. Now I know I'm going to have to get a PS4.
They need to release a special edition Final Fantasy VII PS4. I'd buy a second console!

Ayen
12-06-2015, 10:44 PM

The weapon cutscenes are going to be amazing =o

I can already imagine how bawse Diamond is going to look approaching the party in this version. Damn, that gave me Teenage Ayen anxiety back then, I can't imagine what it's going to do now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do make a PS4 FFVII system, but wasn't it also coming out for Xbox One too, or has it been confirmed as a PlayStation exclusive?

fat_moogle
12-07-2015, 12:01 AM
It was announced as "Coming first to PS4". To me that implies timed exclusivity to PS4, and then a release on other platforms later.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Interesting. I wonder if they'll release it to PC. Maybe I won't need a PS4 to play it.

black orb
12-07-2015, 01:23 AM
>>> Im not happy with this being an action RPG :mymelbert:.. :luca:

Mirage
12-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Of course you're not :p

Crop
12-07-2015, 01:57 AM

And you have listed one of the many reasons why I absolutely hate gamers and gaming culture. The general fanbase of video games is very spoiled and immature, and the hardest of the hardcore fans of anything still can't figure out why the industry still isn't taken as seriously as something like the movie or music industry.

Seriously? I've honestly never seen a fanbase so united on how excited they are for a remake. Of course you're going to get people who don't like how the trailer looks (with such a huge fanbase it would be literally impossible), but I've seen such a surprisingly positive response, it's fantastic.

The most common gripe I've seen so far has been Barrets sunglasses, and yeah I agree they're stupid, but think about it, the fact that so far that's the worst part about the remake is astounding.

Fox
12-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Well I also feel like there's the phenomenon of fans like us analysing everything to death which can lead to a negative seeming impression. For example, I might say something like: "It does seem to be quite a similar battle system to Crisis Core, where ideally I was hoping for the old system to be maintained as I prefer to play at a much slower pace".

^ That looks like a criticism, and it technically is. But what doesn't come through is that despite that criticism... I am unbelievably excited. Like, considering cryogenics until release day levels.

Crop
12-07-2015, 02:05 AM
Exactly. The reason I didn't bring up the battle system complaints is because they're legitimate criticisms based on the style preference of the person providing the opinion. It's not just "typical moaning gamers".

Sephiroth
12-07-2015, 02:09 AM
How can Barret's sunglasses be stupid, they and his entire design are what made him cool for me.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 02:10 AM
It's worst in areas like YouTube and Facebook. The top comment to one Facebook page was a person claiming the Remake battle system is the 'final nail in the coffin' for the franchise. Along with many comments of people just bashing the game outright and saying they're not going to play it.

Those are the groups Sephex are referring to (I think, not trying to speak for anybody). Not people making valid criticisms.

Crop
12-07-2015, 02:28 AM
How can Barret's sunglasses be stupid, they and his entire design are what made him cool for me.

Not only would sunglasses not help when fighting indoors under the plate in smog filled environments, they would actually be a detremant to his fighting ability. He never had sunglasses before, I just think it was silly to add them.

And since when have youtube and Facebook comments represented the FFVII fanbase? Let alone the Gaming fanbase. I certainly wouldn't judge the opinion of the trailer from them.

Sephex
12-07-2015, 02:53 AM
Well looks like most people had thier fun glasses on when watching the trailer to this game.

Boom.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 02:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKs2VLmVnY

Sephiroth
12-07-2015, 03:11 AM
Not only would sunglasses not help when fighting indoors under the plate in smog filled environments, they would actually be a detremant to his fighting ability.

That is totally and completely irrelevant in a fictional world/universe where 3 people share one diver helmet, people are running around in sleeveless sweaters as war uniform, people use gun-blades that are stated to not even shoot and everything. I can make tons of examples where fans ignore this fact and bring in their own little excuses that are no excuses but I know how that is. I have been arguing with FF and DBZ fans for over 10 years so I know their double standards.

Del Murder
12-07-2015, 05:32 AM
It overall looks great. Barret's voice is terrible though.

The battle system looks promising. I know it was unrealistic, but I was hoping for a souped up ATB. But this is was expected. Not really enough shown in the trailer to know a lot about it for sure but I hope it's something like Crisis Core where battles take place in a separate environment rather than everything on screen at once like in FFXV. Otherwise I think they would have a hard time using many of the great set pieces from the original. Also hopefully swapping between characters is easy and highly encouraged.

maybee
12-07-2015, 07:22 AM
It overall looks great. Barret's voice is terrible though.

Wedge's voice sounds dreadful too, he sounds like a heavy smoker.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Barret's voice was awesome. What you talking bout?

Crop
12-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Not only would sunglasses not help when fighting indoors under the plate in smog filled environments, they would actually be a detremant to his fighting ability.

That is totally and completely irrelevant in a fictional world/universe where 3 people share one diver helmet, people are running around in sleeveless sweaters as war uniform, people use gun-blades that are stated to not even shoot and everything. I can make tons of examples where fans ignore this fact and bring in their own little excuses that are no excuses but I know how that is. I have been arguing with FF and DBZ fans for over 10 years so I know their double standards.

Maybe so. Perhaps my logical reason doesn't hold up much weight in a fictional world, but adding sunglasses to try and make a character look better is a bridge too far imo. It's trying too hard.

Barret looked cool enough without some cheesy looking sunglasses.

Mirage
12-07-2015, 01:18 PM

You asked why some people find it dumb, and you got a completely legitimate answer. Sunglasses indoors don't really make sense, even within the fictional universe. Even if there are other examples of designs that don't make sense, that doesn't mean everyone thinks those are cool either.

Character designs are a subjective thing, it's not double morals just because someone doesn't like a particular design.

Fynn
12-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Hell, my wife is super miffed by Cloud having a stupid spiky anime haircut in a world that looks otherwise realistic :monster:

Mirage
12-07-2015, 01:26 PM
She's probably got double morals then.

fat_moogle
12-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Hell, my wife is super miffed by Cloud having a stupid spiky anime haircut in a world that looks otherwise realistic :monster:
Dear Fynn's wife,

LEAVE THE HAIR ALONE.

Regards,

fat_moogle

Fynn
12-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Hey now. She has a point! :colbert:

Shauna
12-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Just like Cloud's hair.

Fox
12-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Hey now. She has a point! :colbert:

Any issue with the man with the gatling gun on his arm or...?

Fynn
12-07-2015, 01:40 PM
It's not about practicality, it's about aesthetics.

How are sunglasses okay to hate on but Cloud's Chocobo nest head isn't? Double standard much?:doublecolbert:

Fox
12-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Clouds hair is tradition. The sunglasses are brand new. Somebody actively decided to add them. The hair... you're just stuck with the hair. That's history biting us in the ass.

Fynn
12-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Of course, but you still have a right to complain regardless. For some, Barret's glasses will prevent them from taking him seriously. For others, Cloud's hair is gonna do that :monster:

I wonder what they'll do about Tifa's BoobsTM

Psychotic
12-07-2015, 02:20 PM
I suspect they'll go the Advent Children route. I'd be surprised if she rocks a tiny white tanktop again.

Fynn
12-07-2015, 02:23 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that she will be sporting the tanktop, Dissidia style.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110410152117/finalfantasy/images/d/dd/Tifa-d012ff-artwork.png

I'm just wondering if what's underneath it will be proportioned more realistically than in the original.

Jinx
12-07-2015, 02:43 PM
For what it's worth, I knew a guy who styled his hair similar to Cloud. It's not really that unrealistic or impossible.

Skyblade
12-07-2015, 02:48 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that she will be sporting the tanktop, Dissidia style.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110410152117/finalfantasy/images/d/dd/Tifa-d012ff-artwork.png

I'm just wondering if what's underneath it will be proportioned more realistically than in the original.

You know, there ARE women with naturally large busts, Fynn.

Fynn
12-07-2015, 02:50 PM

You know, there ARE women with naturally large busts, Fynn.

I do, of course. I really am just curious as to which look they will go for this time - the original or Advent Children?

Need I remind everyone that Tifa's bust used to be as large as her head in the original?

Psychotic
12-07-2015, 03:17 PM
They changed Cloud and Barret's outfits. There's no way they're going to keep Tifa's - or any of the main character's - outfit identical

Fynn
12-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Cloud pretty much has his original outfit. In Barret's case, I'm not sure if he looks different just because of the glasses or if there's more changes. But the other three AVALANCHE MEMBERS look pretty much how they did in the original.

Freya
12-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Nah they changed barret they've said.

Skyblade
12-07-2015, 03:31 PM
I wonder if we're going to get the awesomely awkward character animations that we had in the original.

Like pirouetting off the stage, the characters who bounced everywhere in a couple of the flashbacks, etcetera.

Zanmato
12-07-2015, 03:32 PM
I had many doubts on this one, but... THIS IS SO FREAKING EPIC! *^*
I can live without turn-based battles as long as the game is full of action and has some extras. :D
Still, I wanna see the final product, so my opinion will be more legit. :P

Elly
12-07-2015, 03:33 PM
did we not learn for Corey Hart in the '80s there's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing your sunglasses at night (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8)?..

Fynn
12-07-2015, 03:35 PM
I wonder if we're going to get the awesomely awkward character animations that we had in the original.

Like pirouetting off the stage, the characters who bounced everywhere in a couple of the flashbacks, etcetera.

Please please PLEASE bring back squatting!

Freya
12-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Here guys, have all the new info in bullet point form thanks to an interview with Famitsu! (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/165001-What-we-know-about-the-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake)

Skyblade
12-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Please please PLEASE bring back squatting!

Given that it was in Crisis Core, I don't think there's any doubt that squatting will return.

fat_moogle
12-07-2015, 04:10 PM
did we not learn for Corey Hart in the '80s there's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing your sunglasses at night (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8)?..
This needs to be Barret's Theme for the Remake xD

Mirage
12-07-2015, 06:16 PM
For what it's worth, I knew a guy who styled his hair similar to Cloud. It's not really that unrealistic or impossible.

But it is high maintenance:p

Ayen
12-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Tifa should wear her cowgirl outfit through the whole game.

fat_moogle
12-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Easy: DLC.

Mirage
12-07-2015, 08:40 PM
We should be able to switch between outfits as we like!

There shouldn't be much need for prerendered cutscenes on PS4, so it wouldn't cause continuity errors where suddenly someone changed into a different outfit because it was movie time.

If they could do it in 13-2, they can do it in FF7-R

Guess who's gonna fulltime cloud's dress.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 08:44 PM

If they want to be flayed alive and have their organs harvested as Halloween decorations. Sure.

I mean... I'm a perfectly normal functional member of society.

There shouldn't be much need for prerendered cutscenes on PS4, so it wouldn't cause continuity errors where suddenly someone changed into a different outfit because it was movie time.

That would be amazing. Throw in Sailor Suit Barret and you have most EoFFers wet dream all in one place.

Mirage
12-07-2015, 08:48 PM

If they want to be flayed alive and have their organs harvested as Halloween decorations. Sure.

I mean... I'm a perfectly normal functional member of society.

That would be amazing. Throw in Sailor Suit Barret and you have most EoFFers wet dream all in one place.

Sailor Barret on a date with cross-Cloud... Please gaming gods, let it happen.

Fox
12-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Wait.

What if by "we'll be adding extra content" they mean dates with everyone. Even Cid.​

Ayen
12-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Wait.

What if by "we'll be adding extra content" they mean dates with everyone. Even Cid.​

I imagine getting to second base with Red XIII would be awkward.

Fynn
12-09-2015, 06:06 AM
Wait.

Obviously, you haven't been on deviantart for an extended time period

Ayen
12-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Wait.

Obviously, you haven't been on deviantart for an extended time period

And after this statement I will never be on deviantart for an extended time period.

Fynn
12-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Meh, it's okay :p

Just watch out for the Sonic fanbase

Sephex
12-09-2015, 07:19 AM
more like gettin head 13 times lol

fat_moogle
12-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Anyone would think that there was only a snippet of gameplay revealed by the way this thread is derailing xD

Speaking of Red XIII though that first scene meeting him in the lab should be interesting.

mcnamee19
12-09-2015, 04:20 PM
There are a lot of different opinions on this remake, and as a fan of the earlier FFs I wanted to give mine.

I'm not going to slate the remake, that's the first thing. Will I buy it? Probably not.

I personally would have liked them to have left FF 7 alone. FF 7 was great, the second best game I've ever played behind FF 8.

FF 7 got me into turn-based RPGs, I didn't even know about them before. The closest thing to an RPG that I had played was the Legend Of Zelda series(the first introduction to equipping items etc.).

The thing is.....that was then. FF 7 was great at the time when it came out, and actually still is. I last replayed it in 2012, and it was still a fantastic game to play.

It's incredibly rare to create a game like FF 7. Certain things just have to fall into place, the people working on the project, the technology you have available....and everything came together to make it a fantastic game. And I suppose that's why a huge amount of people wanted it to be remade - they want to feel the way they did when they played FF 7 the first time.

It won't be like that(as much as I want it to be).

There are very few games that can compare to what FF 7 provides(in fact for me only two, Final Fantasy 8, and the first two Shenmue games).

Those of us that have played the original want to feel that again. I've sought it, and although I've played some great games, they can't compare to FF 7 and the ones I've mentioned above.

There has to be something said about lore as well. The storyline will change, and that for me devalues the original game.

Then there are the concerns that people have raised about the battle system. I prefer turn-based, but I won't refuse to play action RPGs. FF 15 has my interest for the moment and I will likely purchase it. The same would go for a FF 7 sequel, set after Advent Children, if it was Action-based combat with Cloud as the main character, I would love that. But one of the things that was enjoyable about FF 7 was the turn based battle system, so they're changing a part of what was so enjoyable about the first game, and for me it's a mistake.

It won't likely be a mistake though for Square's bank balance, which is what this comes down to. They've run out of ideas and need some easy cash, this remake will achieve that. Why not wait and see how FF 15 does...the FF7 Remake will overshadow it and will blunt any momentum that FF 15 will build.

People that have never played FF 7 will probably enjoy playing it, but for someone like me who enjoyed the PS version so much, I prefer to just keep the memories of a unique, fantastic game.

(One final note, those sunglasses on Barrett give me the same foreboding feeling as when I saw that hankerchief-scarf Sonic was wearing in the Sonic Boom promos. You just hope that it's not shallow, cringe-worthy window dressing to try and distract from something that's lacking in the game. With Sonic Boom unfortunately it was.)

Fynn
12-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Sorry guys, but I'm a bit tired with this argument.

Nobody is going to forcibly change your copy of FF7 on your PSX, PC, etc. This is a new project that is meant to be different from the original, while still being an homage. I honestly see no reason why you would want it to be the same. How would that be worth the money and time?

Sephiroth
12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Especially when in certain moments it was already tried to explain that certain core elements will not change.

mcnamee19
12-09-2015, 05:01 PM

Nobody is going to forcibly change your copy of FF7 on your PSX, PC, etc. This is a new project that is meant to be different from the original, while still being an homage. I honestly see no reason why you would want it to be the same. How would that be worth the money and time?

Maybe I didn't explain myself thoroughly enough - I didn't want it to be remade full stop.

An action-rpg sequel to Advent Children, now that would be exciting. New storyline, new characters(potentially).....but that wouldn't sell as many copies as the FF 7 remake.

I get that you're tired of the argument, and I fully understand :). I get tired of hearing things that I don't agree with, but that's why debate and forums exist.

Fox got things summed up very well -

When FF 10 came out, I didn't hear people saying "I've had enough of turn-based battle systems". The game sold well, and got great reviews. FF 10 is even one of my least favourite of the series.

But lets face it, Square got greedy.

They "cracked" the Western gaming market with FF 7, and proceeded to have massive success with 8-10.

However, they had their eye on the gamers that didn't like turn-based battle systems - in pursuing those gamers, they lost some of their core audience. You can't have it all Square.

Fox brought up Pokemon - the Gen 6 games have sold in combination almost 25 million copied worldwide. Square would love that kind of success. They used to have it before they started alienating a lot(admittedly not all) of their fans.

Skyblade
12-09-2015, 06:04 PM

I'm getting a bit tired with THIS argument as well.

"Oh, you can just go play your original copy."

Yeah, thanks, I've been doing that for, what, fifteen years now?

I didn't WANT an "homage". I don't think anyone did. We wanted a remake. Something that stays true to what the original was, while updating the parts of it that did not age well, or which were broken, unbalanced, or not fun (and yes, FFVII did have some issues there).

If Square wanted to go make a new game, they could do that. And, guess what? We'd STILL all be mocking it for the design decisions that have emerged thus far.

It is a remake. Comparisons to the original are fair game. When it fails to live up to snuff in areas that a game nearly twenty years old captured excellently, we are going to call it on that. And we are right to do so.

For that matter, we are right to call out those flaws even if it was a new game, and not a remake at all. Remember when FFXIII came out, and we gave it tons of flack for being all flash and no substance? Yeah, we're not only mocking this game because it's different, we're mocking it because we don't like what we see.

We don't want it to just be "the same". We want it to bring things back to when Square made good games. We want turn based combat, because we ENJOY turn based combat, and there are so few good examples of that play style these days. We want the original story, because Square has proven that they can't write a good story anymore if their lives depended on it. We want a game with minigames, with backtracking, with sidequests, with optional characters. With all the things that used to make games great, that FFVII did well, and that it appears the remake is going to smurf up entirely.

Change is not, in itself, a good thing. Some changes are good. Others are smurfing terrible. So far, we've seen one good change: The graphics. And everything else appears to be worse (in my opinion, some people actually like the gameplay). Yes, I'm going to criticize it for this. And if you're tired of it, then you can go back to arguing about the old game, and ignore the discussion of the new one.

charliepanayi
12-09-2015, 07:07 PM
We want...
We want...
We want...

Basically what you want is a game you like, and based on the scanty details we've had so far, you've made up your mind that it fails on all counts. Which is fair enough but seems a bit early to do so.

In the end you can go nuts getting annoyed over this remake because you don't like what they're doing, or (if you're that certain you won't like this) you can just shrug and go back to the original game. I know which option I'd prefer. You've been playing the original for fifteen years now? Great, play it for another fifteen! It's not going anywhere.

Mirage
12-09-2015, 07:14 PM
I can see both sides are deeply entrenched in this war. I hope no one falls back and allows the other advance!

Ayen
12-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Telling people who don't like the remake to stick to the original is the gaming equivalent of "Don't like it, don't watch it." If they take you up on your offer, they leave the discussion, if they don't, they're asked why they're still in a discussion about something they don't like.

In other words, it's a nice way to tell the other person to go away. How about you stop replying to them if their arguments bother you so much? I'm supposed to be the intolerable dick who dissects opposing viewpoints around here! Don't tread on me, EoFF!

Fox
12-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Telling people who don't like the remake to stick to the original is the gaming equivalent of "Don't like it, don't watch it." If they take you up on your offer, they leave the discussion, if they don't, they're asked why they're still in a discussion about something they don't like.

In other words, it's a nice way to tell the other person to go away. How about you stop replying to them if their arguments bother you so much? I'm supposed to be the intolerable dick who dissects opposing viewpoints around here! Don't tread on me, EoFF!

If you don't like it stop arguing and - OH GOD WE'RE IN A LOOP

Ayen
12-09-2015, 08:02 PM

If you don't like it stop arguing and - OH GOD WE'RE IN A LOOP

We need a Doctor!

Fynn
12-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Whatever the case, the game is being made in the form that it is. All that's left is to deal with it, wait for it to come out, and see how it plays.

Del Murder
12-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Whatever the case, the game is being made in the form that it is. All that's left is to deal with it, wait for it to come out, and see how it plays.
Hopefully this is true, and SE does not overreact to fan outcry over 7 seconds of battle footage. But you never know with them.

Mirage
12-09-2015, 09:36 PM
SE doesn't strike me as a company with a spine, so you never know.

Ayen
12-09-2015, 10:32 PM
They tend to go back and forth. XII's open world was a response to the linearity complaints in X, and everything the XIII sequels did was a response to the criticisms XIII got. On the other hand, they seemed to be holding their ground with XV. And that has more in common with VII being still under development.

I wonder what Aerith and Tifa will look like? The shades notwithstanding, Cloud and Barret's designs seem to retain the essence of the polygons in the original game as does the minor characters we've seen so far. Wouldn't surprise me if they follow suit. I also wonder if they got over their Red XIII fur fear. Since I remember reading that one of the reasons Red wasn't seen much in the movie was because the animators were too lazy to design his fur coat.

Big D
12-10-2015, 04:02 AM
...I remember reading that one of the reasons Red wasn't seen much in the movie was because the animators were too lazy to design his fur coat.That's part of the reason Tifa's had a haircut in Advent Children. Her waist-length hair from her original design would have been quite a mission to animate, so they gave her a more manageable do instead.

Aerith's hair is similarly long, but since it's almost always in a big braid it'll pose much fewer animation challenges.

Wolf Kanno
12-10-2015, 05:05 AM
I wonder what Aerith and Tifa will look like? The shades notwithstanding, Cloud and Barret's designs seem to retain the essence of the polygons in the original game as does the minor characters we've seen so far. Wouldn't surprise me if they follow suit. I also wonder if they got over their Red XIII fur fear. Since I remember reading that one of the reasons Red wasn't seen much in the movie was because the animators were too lazy to design his fur coat.

I doubt Aerith will have much of a design change, I can see her sporting a new weapon/fighting style to compensate for the more action style gameplay. I imagine Tifa's outfit will have a more modest design for her outfit. After the blowback from Cidney for XV, I'm sure SE is going to think twice before putting her in her original. I imagine it will mix elements of the original with her AC outfit.

Ayen
12-10-2015, 05:08 AM
I've seen people manage to do fast pace action with staffs/polearms before so you never know.

Wolf Kanno
12-10-2015, 05:16 AM
I've seen people manage to do fast pace action with staffs/polearms before so you never know.

More has to do with her not exactly being much of a fighter. I can see them making her a long range fighter of some type, or seriously building her around being magic orientated like Aqua from BbS.

Ayen
12-10-2015, 05:20 AM
Ohh... Right, right, I had forgotten about that. Shouldn't have. All those barrels I had to drop for her to climb some bloody stairs.

Wolf Kanno
12-10-2015, 05:23 AM
I just make her do the fights. Not like she doesn't need the XP.

Fox
12-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Can we talk about Cloud's skinny arms for a bit? A lot of people don't like them. I think they're brilliant!

OK, so, Cloud Strife. Who is he? Former SOLDIER, First Class? Nah mate. He's not even Third Class. He's nobody. A Nibelheim kid who flunked his SOLDIER aspirations and got a crummy grunt's uniform. A guy who gets sick in the back of the truck on the way to a mission, who spent 4 years of his life floating unconscious in a tank. That's the real Cloud Strife. So it seems perfectly sensible that he looks gaunt and skinny. He should look kinda out of place in that SOLDIER uniform, because it was never his to wear in the first place.

The only reason he can even lift that Buster Sword and jump onto trains and stuff is because he got pumped full of JENOVA cells and spent four years stewing in Mako. That's where his strength is coming from, not his piddly little arms. Given that he's borrowing his personality and history just like he's borrowing his strength... his skinny arms are more or less all that's left of the real him at this point.

Maybe they didn't put this much thought into this when they designed this version of him, but I hope they did. Because I reckon it's a great piece of visual storytelling. I love it.

Mirage
12-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Completely agree. He wasn't exactly bulging with muscles in the original FF7 FMVs either.

The timeline as I remember it might be a bit off, and I don't know exactly how much time has passed since he got to Midgar until he joined the mission, but it's not that long ago that he escaped from the basement of the shinra mansion. It takes time to build big muscles, and he's basically fresh out of a test tube.

To get to barret's size either takes over 5 years of hard training, or two years of steroids+hard training.

Ayen
12-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I honestly didn't even notice he was that skinny. I think people secretly just miss the characters' arms looking like they had cancer.

Fox
12-10-2015, 08:04 PM
The timeline as I remember it might be a bit off, and I don't know exactly how much time has passed since he got to Midgar until he joined the mission, but it's not that long ago that he escaped from the basement of the shinra mansion. It takes time to build big muscles, and he's basically fresh out of a test tube.

"How long has it been?"
"It's been... five years."

The Niblheim incident was 5 years ago. He was unconscious for 4. So... yeah. It's only been about a year since Crisis Core.

Mirage
12-10-2015, 08:07 PM
I was really just going by the character ages. He was 16 in the flashback, and he's 21 when he helps blow up the reactor. He spent 4 years in the tank, and i'm gonna assume that the truck they rode from Nibelheim to Midgar didn't travel at light speed.

Sephiroth
12-10-2015, 08:09 PM

"How long has it been?"
"It's been... five years."

The Niblheim incident was 5 years ago. He was unconscious for 4. So... yeah. It's only been about a year since Crisis Core.

Not even. The journey from Nibelheim to Midgar needed a great amount of time. Interestingly enough way more than the entire FFVII-1 journey which is 1 month.

Fox
12-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Not even. The journey from Nibelheim to Midgar needed a great amount of time. Interestingly enough way more than the entire FFVII-1 journey which is 1 month.

Not the way I play FFVII! :D Chocobo breeding a lone probably should have ended up with Meteor killing us all, now that I think of it.

Formalhaut
12-10-2015, 08:22 PM
You have to admire the amount of debate a small amount of game-play footage can create, really.

Freya
12-10-2015, 10:39 PM
OH I reblogged a set of pictures about that on our tumblr the other day.... let me find it.....

HERE WE GO! Everyone go look at this. (http://eyesonfinalfantasy.tumblr.com/post/134749076112/ventus-ven-for-short-princessstrife-so-ive) I believe making him look like a skeleton is intentional.

(also while you're at it follow the eoff tumblr)

Skyblade
12-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Can we talk about Cloud's skinny arms for a bit? A lot of people don't like them. I think they're brilliant!

OK, so, Cloud Strife. Who is he? Former SOLDIER, First Class? Nah mate. He's not even Third Class. He's nobody. A Nibelheim kid who flunked his SOLDIER aspirations and got a crummy grunt's uniform. A guy who gets sick in the back of the truck on the way to a mission, who spent 4 years of his life floating unconscious in a tank. That's the real Cloud Strife. So it seems perfectly sensible that he looks gaunt and skinny. He should look kinda out of place in that SOLDIER uniform, because it was never his to wear in the first place.

The only reason he can even lift that Buster Sword and jump onto trains and stuff is because he got pumped full of JENOVA cells and spent four years stewing in Mako. That's where his strength is coming from, not his piddly little arms. Given that he's borrowing his personality and history just like he's borrowing his strength... his skinny arms are more or less all that's left of the real him at this point.

Maybe they didn't put this much thought into this when they designed this version of him, but I hope they did. Because I reckon it's a great piece of visual storytelling. I love it.

Nope. He was strong enough to hurl Sephiroth off the bridge in the reactor at Nibelheim.

Not that I care about the thickness of his arms one way or the other. But Cloud wasn't physically that weak.

Fox
12-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Nope. He was strong enough to hurl Sephiroth off the bridge in the reactor at Nibelheim.

Not that I care about the thickness of his arms one way or the other. But Cloud wasn't physically that weak.

I always took that not as a display of strength but of adrenaline and determination. You know, one of those extraordinary things that can happen in extraordinary situations. On a normal day Cloud wouldn't be throwing anybody off any bridges.

Besides, in FFVII the strength to lift a man is pretty minor strength. Remember what Sephiroth could do to the Midgar Zolom.

Mirage
12-10-2015, 11:18 PM
He also lifted sephiroth before he had been stuck in a tube for 4 years, not after.

Sephiroth
12-10-2015, 11:22 PM

I always took that not as a display of strength but of adrenaline and determination. You know, one of those extraordinary things that can happen in extraordinary situations. On a normal day Cloud wouldn't be throwing anybody off any bridges.

Besides, in FFVII the strength to lift a man is pretty minor strength. Remember what Sephiroth could do to the Midgar Zolom.

Because that is exactly what it is supposed to be, the loser turns hero story. Cloud, a weakling, not even good enough to get the job he wanted and full of complexes, not even close to be comparable to the greatest being alive proves that the inner strength manifested through the beloved ones overcomes even the greatest obstacles. The theme of "what he cherishes most" is not just a part of Advent Children.

Ayen
12-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Pfft, Square. Trying to tell a story in a visual medium through visuals. What's the matter with you? Next you're going to give us scenery to let our surroundings sink in or something.

Formalhaut
12-10-2015, 11:32 PM
I always thought of Cloud's physical strength as secondary to the displays and progress of his mentality throughout FFVII.

Rather, I believe the story of FFVII to be journey of Cloud's mentality: initially under a false pretence he can maintain a sense of power and influence on the party, followed by a break characterised by physical weakness and coma, before finally going through a sense of healing and reparation which ends on a note of catharsis.

So how strong Cloud is really isn't the point. I see nothing wrong with Cloud having realistic musculature. :shrug:

Sephiroth
12-10-2015, 11:34 PM
I always thought of Cloud's physical strength as secondary to the displays and progress of his mentality throughout FFVII.

Rather, I believe the story of FFVII to be journey of Cloud's mentality: initially under a false pretence he can maintain a sense of power and influence on the party, followed by a break characterised by physical weakness and coma, before finally going through a sense of healing and reparation which ends on a note of catharsis.

So how strong Cloud is really isn't the point. I see nothing wrong with Cloud having realistic musculature. :shrug:

And all of that is true. But it still is the story of a loser who can do the impossible.