PDA

View Full Version : My guess at the battle system

Spawn of Sephiroth
12-06-2015, 01:12 AM
So what if it's not really an ARPG. What if its the typical turnbased but similar to FFXIII in a sense...here me out.

Ok so you see Barret and Clouds name on the right with what looks like an atb gauge in one brief clip. So what if you still control actions for all party members like your typical old turn based battle system. They all have their time gauge filling up. But as you select their action, you get the awesome attacks and in the background everyone and everything is moving real time as they do in XIII while the bars refill. And you can still control all moves by all members and you get to pick the party leader so youre not always Cloud. It just seems so fast paced and has alot going on in the background like XIII does. So it could still be a sorta turn based style and not an arpg as everyone seems to think. I hope me trying to explain this makes sense since I think it would work great and it kinda seems to me like this is whats going on.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 01:22 AM
The people who are complaining will still complain because it'd still be too 'actiony' but that sounds pretty cool.

Spawn of Sephiroth
12-06-2015, 01:26 AM
The people who are complaining will still complain because it'd still be too 'actiony' but that sounds pretty cool.

I mean, Im not a huge ARPG but hell Ill take whatever they give us as long as it works and isnt broken. Theres too much here to be happy for than the fact the are using a different battle system. Either way, those battles look fun as hell and I cant wait!

Ayen
12-06-2015, 01:28 AM
I figured changes would be made, but from that one trailer they stayed true to the original more than I would've thought going in. That why it seriously perplexes me why I see people (not on here) act like it's not even the same game anymore.

Ah well. Now, where's the PS4 I stole from Bubba?

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2015, 02:57 AM
The battle screen doesn't seem to make much sense. There is a Limit Break gauge but doesn't do anything in the trailer. What looks like the ATB gauge seems to be a power gauge for your combos as the gauge rises as the character attacks but drains between attacks. The flashier moves looks like they activate once the gauge is full so its likely that filling the gauge allows for combo finishers but Limits are something else.

Cloud can also be seen fighting in the background independent of Barret for a brief sequence in the trailer meaning there is some level of A.I. control.

My guess is the battle system is a mix of Crisis Core with some elements of FFXII. Action battle system with combos but with an A.I. controlled party that the player can manually switch to on the fly. I wouldn't be surprised if it also added elements of FFX with each character have some battle specialization incorporated that makes switching party members an important aspect like having enemy snipers only Barret or Vincent can reach and heavy opponents Cloud has to guard break to do real damage to and so forth. Curious to see how magic is going to actually work, pretty sure summons will be the same but its also possible the battle seen is pre-rendered concept stuff as well so the menu bar may change as well.

Fox
12-06-2015, 03:16 AM
You ever play games with guns that would 'overheat'? I think some of the weapons in Halo are good examples of this. Each shot fired would increase the 'heat', and once it reached maximum you would have a longer period of inactivity as you cooled down (but it would also cool down a bit between shots). So you could either fire really quickly and then have an agonisingly long cool down time, or fire more slowly and prevent the weapon from reaching the overheat point.

I expect the system we're looking at here is similar to that. Every action will have some form of cost - simple attacks may only fill 1/3rd of the bar per strike but a magic attack may use the entire thing - and if you fill the bar you 'overheat' and have an extended period of inactivity. You could avoid this by attacking slower, but since you seem to have powerful finishers at the end of a combo it's more likely that you'll build up the bar and switch to a new character as you cool down.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 03:20 AM
I have with Mass Effect 1, and I loved that game, so I'm now even more drawn to the battle system. Of course, all of this is just speculation until Square clarifies how things are going to work.

And knowing them they'll probably tease it for months before finally answering the question.