PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Nintendo System

Ayen
12-06-2015, 08:54 PM
I've pitted systems of different companies against each other before, but this time I'm going to do it with all the same brand. I'm almost positive I made this kind of poll before, but it's been forever so here it is again. This time to make things more interesting I'm including handhelds and only letting you choose one because I'm mean.

And in case someone is wondering why Game Boy and Game Boy Color are separate, but GBA SP isn't its own thing, that's because I took this list from the overview on Wikipedia and they count the first two Game Boys separately, so blame them.

After much thought I decided to rely on nostalgia and vote for the Nintendo 64. It was the first console I ever owned and it had a lot of good games on it. Nintendo was also kicking Sony and Sega's ass in the 3D games race in the early going, despite still using cartridges, so they have that going for them, too.

Discuss.

Mirage
12-06-2015, 09:08 PM
gameboy color has twice the CPU frequency. Not all GBC games run on GB, I think. It's like the DS and DSi deal. GBA SP is just a new form factor and a backlight.

Fun fact, the GBC can be overclocked from 8 to 40 MHz. Not all games like it, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJQxD8LLNY

Sephex
12-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Super Nintendo by a landslide for me.

But then again I'm closely approaching my mid thirties, so I guess that's a thing. I think I'm contractually obligated to feel that way.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to pick another one it would be the Gamecube or 3DS.

Ayen
12-06-2015, 10:49 PM
It's nice to see all the different systems get some love. Even the NES is getting votes.

I expect most people to vote SNES and 3DS just by previous discussions on the board, but I could be surprised.

GameCube was pretty good, too. That was my first Generation Six console. I still remember being hyped by all the promotion for it like the Luigi's Mansion adverts. That was around the time I subscribed to Nintendo Power, too, and that made me more excited for the GameCube and Game Boy Advance.

Good times.

Pike
12-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Super Nintendo I think. Nintendo 64 second. Third? Honestly probably 3DS.

Skyblade
12-07-2015, 01:00 AM
I'm debating between the DS and the GBA. The GBA has the better library, but the DS can play all of those games, and has Chrono Trigger and Rune Factory 3...

Depression Moon
12-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Nintendo invented the colored tv?

Ayen
12-07-2015, 01:24 AM

Yup! They brought color to a black and white world!

Actually they were more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/AwwvStp.jpg

theundeadhero
12-07-2015, 02:50 AM
To this day my NES still gets more playtime then the other systems while the SNES comes in second.

Sephex
12-07-2015, 02:56 AM

Yup! They brought color to a black and white world!

Actually they were more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/AwwvStp.jpg

Ha! 6 games! What a country!

Wolf Kanno
12-07-2015, 03:38 AM
Super Nintendo and its not even close. When you put into account Super Famicom games it's a pretty stellar system with a great line-up for its time.

NES is my second favorite and then I jump to the DS and 3DS which are the two handhelds that have probably gotten the most love out of me ever.

NeoCracker
12-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Yeah, SNES by a good ways. Though the Shin Megami Titles on 3DS (Devil Survivor Remakes both superior to the originals, SMT IV) and a few others place that in second.

Depression Moon
12-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Super Nintendo and its not even close. When you put into account Super Famicom games it's a pretty stellar system with a great line-up for its time.

NES is my second favorite and then I jump to the DS and 3DS which are the two handhelds that have probably gotten the most love out of me ever.

There's a difference between Super Nintendo and Super Famicom? I thought Famicom was just the Japanese name.

Wolf Kanno
12-07-2015, 05:19 PM

There's a difference between Super Nintendo and Super Famicom? I thought Famicom was just the Japanese name.

They are the same but I'm referencing the fact that the SNES didn't have the same library of games as we missed out on classic gems like Dragon Quest V and VI, Bahamut Lagoon, Tactics Ogre (released in the West later as a port for PS1) the first three Front Mission games, and pretty much the whole Romancing Saga franchise among a ton of anime based games and more.

If I was just going by what was made available for the system in the West, I feel the DS and 3DS would be better systems but when I add the Japan only content, I feel the SNES is the best system hands down that place it in the same league as the PlayStation and PlayStation 2's libraries.

Pumpkin
12-07-2015, 05:47 PM
ensixtyfour

Madame Adequate
12-07-2015, 06:28 PM
This is a tough poll because damn do Nintendo have a lot of amazing systems.

I think SNES is the greatest, but for me personally, my favorite is the N64. 3DS deserves a mention as well. The original GB is possibly their most consequential/important of all, though maybe the Wii pips that? Probably too soon to call it on that one.

Depression Moon
12-07-2015, 07:15 PM
SNES wins for me. I've been playing so many games I missed out on this year.

Del Murder
12-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Why is Virtual Boy not on there?

Ayen
12-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Why is Virtual Boy not on there?

Smurf the Virtual Boy. It never happened, ya hear? :argh:

Actually, it's because it wasn't included on the generations list I took this from.

maybee
12-07-2015, 11:42 PM
3DS

Fire Emblem Awakening :heart:

Zeldy
12-13-2015, 12:35 PM
It's really hard to choose between a hand-held and console as they're both so different to me.

It's either the N64, 3DS or Wii for me and I just can't decide; but the N64 did introduce me to LOZ: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and Conkers Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye, Turok, Banjo, Donkey Kong, Pokemon Stadium!, Super Mario, hang on what were we discussing, I got too excited! :jess:

The 3DS has however captured my heart with more awesome titles though, and same with the Wii with LOZ: Skyward Sword & Twilight Princess, you're making me choose between my favourite Zelda's basically! XD but I loved the selection of different titles like Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon that you find on the hand-held. But I agree with others about turning off 3D, it just doesn't do anything benefical.

And how could I forget the Gamecube :O I spent about 3 years of my life playing Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2

I'll vote N64! :ohdear: then 3DS, then Gamecube, then Wii..

DMKA
12-13-2015, 07:57 PM
SNES was the last console they really shined with in my opinion.

Fynn
12-15-2015, 02:26 PM
I prefer to game on handhelds, and the DS has had a huge library of really fantastic JRPGs, so my vote goes to it. However, the 3DS is still relatively young, and it's pretty close already, so it may actually soon dethrone the DS

Bubba
12-15-2015, 04:32 PM
SNES all the way for me. Nostalgia-tinted glasses firmly on my face.

Even without nostalgia it's still probably the best. The number of quality games released for it outstrips pretty much any console.