PDA

View Full Version : Animation style of JRPG's and FF7 remake

tony12
12-07-2015, 03:01 AM
I do have to say the game looks like it will be good based off of that gameplay footage. I have no plans on buying a ps4 though so I won't be playing it but will watch a playthrough video of it.

One thing I do have to say that I am slightly dissapointed in is the animation style. I realize it is the normal style that JRPG's use but it looks very (I guess you'd say) popish compared to a lot of the gritty animation styles of a lot of games released today.

A lot of the characters look like they came from a teeny bopper group and not necessarily part of a terrorist organization.

Again I realize that that is just the style used in a lot of JRPG's but it is just a real contrast in styles compared to what we see in most games today. But again I won't be buying it because I don't/won't have a ps4. Just thought I would bring up just how much animation styles have changed over the years.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 03:07 AM
The contrast doesn't have to be a bad thing. The fact it's different from most games today can only work in its favor, not against it.

tony12
12-07-2015, 03:18 AM
True. And I am sure most will give it a pass because they know that it is a remake of an old game. But I think it would be cool if JRPG's started trying to get away from the pop band look.

Sephiroth
12-07-2015, 03:22 AM
If it is not a traditional JRPG it is a JRPG that does not even look like a JRPG. Which means a Souls game.

No thanks.

Big D
12-07-2015, 03:55 AM
I like the new look - it's consistent with the more-realistic visuals from the Compilation titles, for starters. The original game's anime style might've ended up looking kind of weird, and a bit over-simplified, if they'd tried to recreate it directly into a modern game engine.

Wolf Kanno
12-07-2015, 04:00 AM
I've always been partial to the heavy anime style of the original over the move to realism seen in the Compilation and Nomura's non-KH work of later FF titles, but the art style for the game does a good job regardless.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 04:01 AM
True. And I am sure most will give it a pass because they know that it is a remake of an old game. But I think it would be cool if JRPG's started trying to get away from the pop band look.

And do what, exactly?

tony12
12-07-2015, 04:20 AM

And do what, exactly?

Well for instance. This character was a nice example.

Wolf Kanno
12-07-2015, 04:29 AM
Considering JRPGs traditionally deal with fantastical elements, I feel it would be very limiting in scope to shift focus to gritty realism, as it will either involve taming down the fantastical elements to create a cohesive visual whole or it will dive so far into uncanny valley territory the games will turn off consumers. I don't feel its a bad idea for a JRPG to attempt it, but VII was unique for its time by fully embracing a heavy anime aesthetic for its characters that it would probably not go over well to see it toned down to something realistic. AC got enough flak for that when it attempted to do so.

tony12
12-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Considering JRPGs traditionally deal with fantastical elements, I feel it would be very limiting in scope to shift focus to gritty realism, as it will either involve taming down the fantastical elements to create a cohesive visual whole or it will dive so far into uncanny valley territory the games will turn off consumers. I don't feel its a bad idea for a JRPG to attempt it, but VII was unique for its time by fully embracing a heavy anime aesthetic for its characters that it would probably not go over well to see it toned down to something realistic. AC got enough flak for that when it attempted to do so.

True. Never thought about that that final fantasy VII at its corps is a fantastical story so if they tried to make the characters look a little more realistic for the things they were doing it wouldn't gell that well with the story.

However I'm not sure I would necessarily say that Advent Children was realistic.

Fynn
12-07-2015, 06:26 AM
This kind of reminds me about the argument lots of people use about turn-based battles. That they should die and RPGs should become more like other games.

What is the point of every game having the same graphical style? Why would I want everything on the market to look the same? That is essentially what I think is a big drawback of today's gaming scene - everything is trying to be gritty and realistic. I personally prefer stuff to be diverse so there's a lot more to choose from rather than just what the mainstream thinks is cool.

Also, yeah, FFVII has always been heavily anime-based, both in style and in story, and making it all hyper realistic could be a detriment. I mean, even with the graphics as they are based on the trailer, I'm really wondering how they'll pull off the drag sequence.

Mirage
12-07-2015, 06:33 PM
There's no guarantee the game will only be out on PS4, even if it might get there first. It could get both an XB1 release and a Steam release. You might very well get a chance to play it.

Skyblade
12-07-2015, 10:13 PM
There's no guarantee the game will only be out on PS4, even if it might get there first. It could get both an XB1 release and a Steam release. You might very well get a chance to play it.

The statement was "First to Playstation 4", I believe. Not "Only on Playstation 4".

I don't think there's a chance in heck that it's going to be PS4 exclusive.

Ayen
12-07-2015, 11:00 PM

The statement was "First to Playstation 4", I believe. Not "Only on Playstation 4".

Which works out fine, since the original game wasn't. It was ported to the PC a year later.

That said I'm going to enjoy watching PlayStation fans flip their trout when the inevitable Xbox One port is announced.

Wolf Kanno
12-08-2015, 03:27 AM

My theory is that PS4 will get the Episodic content first and then when it comes time to release the Episodes as one collectors edition game, we'll see a release for other systems.

Mirage
12-08-2015, 03:40 AM
That's called a hypothesis.

Ayen
12-08-2015, 03:42 AM
I have a hypothesis that this thread will become about the definition of theory versus the scientific definition. Then a mod will tell everyone to get back on topic.

Fynn
12-08-2015, 05:47 AM
If we're being anal about it, a hypothesis is when you post a question or either/or scenario.

This was a thesis.