PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sega System

Ayen
12-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Like the Nintendo thread, but smaller because you're all a bunch of Nintenerds. :shifty:

What's your favorite Sega system and why? Mine goes to the Genesis. It's still my favorite retro console to this day. Had a great library of original games, and at times the better version of multi-platforms. (Battletoads & Double Dragon, for starters). I always have a blast when I go back to play a Genesis game.

And no I'm not counting the add ons in this. Go suck a button!

Discuss.

Rez09
12-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Though I've recently grown to appreciate the Master System, the Genesis is still far and away my favorite Sega console. It just has my favorite library out of Sega's offerings for each genre barring fighters, which goes to the Dreamcast.

Madame Adequate
12-08-2015, 10:32 PM
The Dreamcast is the greatest console to ever exist.

So that.

Ayen
12-08-2015, 10:34 PM
The Dreamcast is the greatest console to ever exist.

So that.

Is it true that the Dreamcast was so unstoppable that Sega chose to opt out of the consoles market to keep from destroying all competitors and creating a monopoly where only Sega existed thus leading to another Video Game Crash from lack of competition?

Because that was mighty considerate of them.

Madame Adequate
12-08-2015, 11:00 PM
That's basically how it went down, yeah.

Sephex
12-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Genesis for me. But the Dreamcast is a very close second.

krissy
12-09-2015, 12:24 AM
it's thinking

Ayen
12-09-2015, 12:27 AM
My one regret is never getting to play on the Dreamcast. My brother had one, and I watched him play, but I never got to play any games on it. And then he sold it. The bastard!

-sees all the votes for the Genesis- Ah, this fills my heart with joy.

Laddy
12-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Can't beat the 'Cast.

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2015, 03:29 AM
The Genesis was my favorite and I always loved having sleepovers with my friends who owned the system so I can play what I was missing out of.

My second favorite is the Saturn which is probably the most underrated of the consoles. While is it was certainly clunky, it had some great and underrated JRPGs on it, especially if you expand it to the Japanese import market.

The Dreamcast was my third favorite and one that was sadly cut down in its prime. Still have fond memories of Sonic Adventure and Powerstone.

Vyk
12-09-2015, 04:35 AM
As much as I love games on other consoles I think the Saturn is my favorite..

Madame Adequate
12-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Can't beat the 'Cast.

http://i.imgur.com/GLXbR63.gif

Big D
12-09-2015, 05:36 AM
Mega Drive for me. Jurassic Park, Jungle Strike, the PGA Tour series, countless other fond memories of fantastic games.

If you count the Mega-CD (Sega CD in Genesis regions) add-on as part of the same console, then add Ecco the Dolphin CD to that list of memorable titles - to this day, I still consider it one of the best 2D/platforming games ever made.

Galuf
12-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Aye megadrive for me. My first console. And the only sega console ive physicly played. Plus games like sonerk and streets of rage. And the slightly obscure gunstar heroes. But dreamcast did have the 2 sonic adventure games so.... Thats awesome too.

maybee
12-09-2015, 12:41 PM
The Mega Drive/ Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Aladdin A.K.A - the good version of Aladdin
Mortal Kombat games with blood
Gunstar Heroes
Strider
Streets of Rage games
Quackshot
Castlevania bloodlines

:heart:

Vyk
12-10-2015, 05:22 AM
Mega Drive for me. Jurassic Park, Jungle Strike, the PGA Tour series, countless other fond memories of fantastic games.

If you count the Mega-CD (Sega CD in Genesis regions) add-on as part of the same console, then add Ecco the Dolphin CD to that list of memorable titles - to this day, I still consider it one of the best 2D/platforming games ever made.
Oh man, SegaCD is such a nostalgic high for me for some reason. Some of my favorite stuff to play emulated on my PSP and Wii. Then again, I love terrible FMV games. But SegaCD was one of the first times we started receiving weird, obscure, innovative games. Popful Mail, Snatcher, Lunar 1 & 2, the best version of Flashback and Willie Beamish. The only arcade-comparable Dragon's Lair. Mmmm...

Maybe that combo is better than the Saturn..

Ayen
12-10-2015, 05:47 AM
The Mega Drive/ Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Aladdin A.K.A - the good version of Aladdin
Mortal Kombat games with blood
Gunstar Heroes
Strider
Streets of Rage games
Quackshot
Castlevania bloodlines

:heart:

I'd like to add Comix Zone, X-Men 2 Clone Wars, Cyborg Justice, Sylvester and Tweety in Cagey Capers, and the Road Rash games to that list.

Oh man, SegaCD is such a nostalgic high for me for some reason. Some of my favorite stuff to play emulated on my PSP and Wii. Then again, I love terrible FMV games. But SegaCD was one of the first times we started receiving weird, obscure, innovative games. Popful Mail, Snatcher, Lunar 1 & 2, the best version of Flashback and Willie Beamish. The only arcade-comparable Dragon's Lair. Mmmm...

Maybe that combo is better than the Saturn..

It's pretty bad when the Sega CD can beat the Saturn.

I hope Segata Sanshiro isn't nearby... :shifty:

Vyk
12-10-2015, 05:52 AM
I like the Saturn for its weird obscure games too, though. Astal, Panzer Dragoon 2, Dragon Force, Shining Wisdom, Albert Odyssey, Magic Knight Rayearth, man I miss Working Designs.. I wonder what Victor Ireland is up to these days

Ayen
12-10-2015, 06:02 AM
I still want to play Magic Knight Rayearth. I only played the Super Famicom version. I wonder if I can find any good working Saturn emulators. I can play the PlayStation and N64 ones just fine, and that was the same generation so I should be okay. It'd be nice to be able to play House of the Dead again.

Vyk
12-10-2015, 06:44 AM
I've never had any luck with Saturn emulation. I've heard its weird combination of like 5 different processors and some weird sound chip made it exceedingly difficult, and the few games I got to run, sounded like garbage :( But that was years ago, and supposedly better processors and graphics cards were going to make true emulation. So its definitely possible they will run better these days, if people kept working on them

I can't remember the details, but I think there was one Japanese one that ran really well. I think the rumor was that it was developed by someone who used to work at Sega, but then it was closed-source, so any hiccups it had, couldn't be fixed by other developers, and I'm not sure that person continued his work, so it could be a dead end

maybee
12-10-2015, 09:07 AM
I hope Segata Sanshiro isn't nearby... :shifty:

He is and he's extremely furious.

http://i.imgur.com/fO3HRVE.gif

sharkythesharkdogg
12-10-2015, 12:52 PM
It's Dreamcast first. Then Genesis or Saturn second.

Madame Adequate
12-10-2015, 06:21 PM
There were problems with the Saturn, but most of those were business problems, not with the system itself. (which is to say everyone who wanted a new SEGA system had already bought a Sega CD or a 32X) It was actually a great little thing, but when you're going up against the PS1... rest in fucking pieces.

Where are the SEGA CD and 32X on the poll, Ayen? :colbert:

Ayen
12-11-2015, 12:21 AM
Where are the SEGA CD and 32X on the poll, Ayen? :colbert:

And no I'm not counting the add ons in this. Go suck a button!

Vyk
12-12-2015, 04:20 AM
Playstation was Nintendo's greatest add-on! :D

Ayen
12-12-2015, 04:30 AM
The majority of you have chosen the correct answer. The rest have picked an acceptable alternative. You have evaded my wrath for now. But don't get comfortable yet. Us Ayens are easily satisfied, but we'll be back, and with greater wants.

Pumpkin
12-12-2015, 04:35 AM
Neptune