PDA

View Full Version : Which Internet Critics do you follow?

Ayen
12-08-2015, 08:55 PM
I was originally going to make this a poll, but decided there are too many to list, so just left it as is. So, who all do you follow, if anyone?

The two main critics I keep track of these days are The Angry Video Game Nerd (http://cinemassacre.com/) and The Nostalgia Critic (http://channelawesome.com/category/videos/channelawesome/dougwalker/nostalgia-critic/). Both of which are responsible for my getting into reviewing. They've even done some crossovers in the past. In fact, they're still doing them from time to time.

I used to watch some of Lindsay (Nostalgia Chick), Spoony, Linkara, and Brad Jones (Cinema Snob), but I lost interest in them in recent years. The above two are the only ones I keep up with. Oh, and Board James. Which is another character of James Rofle. Hilarious.

Oh, I hear that Ayen (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDwKmIwJmp7daaZiTL-2D_Q) guy is doing some cool things on YouTube. You guys should check him out!
Shameless.

Your turn to share.

Fynn
12-08-2015, 09:04 PM
The Nostalgia Chick is my alltime favorite reviewer and someone I follow religiously, but sadly she hasn't been uploading lately at all since the blipocalypse happened. Hope she comes back soon :( But yeah, I always liked her much more than the Critic and I love how she developed her own style later on. Idk, just taking a more analytical/academic approach rather than simply summarizing the movie and adding comedic scenes works a lot better for me and has helped shape my own sense of humor and critical thinking.

I also love Sursum Ursa's Stuff You Like. It's refreshing to see someone focusing on the positives and still being super intelligent and academic about it. Plus, she's Catholic and awesome, which makes her show resonate with me more XD

And then there's Rantasmo and Needs More Gay. I have learned so much about LGBT culture from him and I love everything he does to bits. Short and to the point, Rantasmo may not be as academic as Lindsay, but he's still really funny and insightful.

In general, I love everything on Chez Apocalypse. Nella has her Let's Read on there too, there's Vampire Reviews with Elisa, 50 Shades of Green is just incredible, and then there's also Brows Held High... Long live Chez Apocalypse! (or at least let's hope they come back soon... :G)

Psychotic
12-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Jim Sterling and only Jim Sterling, eternal and forever. Just pounding it and why not, life's good when you're a ninja block. Is this memes because #smurfkonami (HIT THE LEVER). I regularly thank God for him.

Shauna
12-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Chungus.

Also Ashens is pretty great for all the stuff he does. I also follow ProJared. Todd in the Shadows is the only one from Channel Awesome that I care about.

I used to watch AVGN but his whole schtick got really old when swearing and endless poop jokes was all he had. I can get better poop jokes elsewhere.
The Nostalgia Critic too, he was alright before he went off and did something new, but when he came back he was just... eh. I also got really tired of his drawn out nitpicking.

Pumpkin
12-08-2015, 09:09 PM
PBG and CGR mostly

Aerith's Knight
12-08-2015, 09:09 PM
I watch Totalbiscuit every once in a while. Because he has such an awesome British voice. I lost most interest in online critics years ago.

Ayen
12-08-2015, 09:11 PM
The Nostalgia Chick is my alltime favorite reviewer and someone I follow religiously, but sadly she hasn't been uploading lately at all since the blipocalypse happened. Hope she comes back soon :( But yeah, I always liked her much more than the Critic and I love how she developed her own style later on. Idk, just taking a more analytical/academic approach rather than simply summarizing the movie and adding comedic scenes works a lot better for me and has helped shape my own sense of humor and critical thinking.

I know I've seen a couple of new videos by her on the League of Super Critics YouTube channel. Last I heard she left Channel Awesome officially at the start of the year and is going off to do her own thing. So no more Nostalgia Chick. Which I don't mind too much since she's slowly been leaving that persona for years now.

Jim Sterling and only Jim Sterling, eternal and forever. Just pounding it and why not, life's good when you're a ninja block. Is this memes because #smurfkonami (HIT THE LEVER). I regularly thank God for him.

THANK YOU! I was trying to remember that guy's name, but for the life of me couldn't. I watch him occasionally, too. Really enjoyed his smug video about the new Fair Use policy YouTube is trying to pass.

Shauna
12-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Really enjoyed his smug video

yep sounds like Jim smurfin' Sterling son

Jinx
12-08-2015, 09:14 PM
I used to watch Spoony faithfully, but honestly his whole "I'm unimpressed/angry with everything and hate the world" schtick got really old. I don't think he's really doing much of anything these days anyways.

Fynn
12-08-2015, 09:16 PM
I still vastly prefer Lindsay's new stuff. I mean, have you seen Loose Canon? Yeah

Ayen
12-08-2015, 09:16 PM
I used to watch Spoony faithfully, but honestly his whole "I'm unimpressed/angry with everything and hate the world" schtick got really old. I don't think he's really doing much of anything these days anyways.

Yeah, he's never been the same after his meltdown on Twitter a few years back with a couple of other Channel Awesome producers. He mostly just streams, does hour long rants about movies, and talks about wrestling now.

I still vastly prefer Lindsay's new stuff. I mean, have you seen Loose Canon? Yeah

Oh, I'm not arguing in favor of her old style or anything. She was basically brought in to be a female Nostalgia Critic, and I'm glad to see she broke out of that character. Much like wrestling, internet personalities are better when they get to be themselves.

Mirage
12-08-2015, 09:22 PM
I don't follow any critics.

Psychotic
12-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Really enjoyed his smug video

yep sounds like Jim smurfin' Sterling sonWhat do you think Miniature Fantasy Willem Dafoe would have to say about it? Ah ahm DAHvid Cayge.

Freya
12-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Rye does great reviews :shobon: yeah I don't watch many and only do so when they get linked on fb or something.

Aerith's Knight
12-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Rye does great reviews :shobon: yeah I don't watch many and only do so when they get linked on fb or something.

You mean the EoFF member Rye? Man, been a while.

Fynn
12-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Got any links? I heard rumors that she's doing reviews but could never find her

Crop
12-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Used to follow AVGN, Spoony, and SFDebris.

AVGN isn't funny anymore and Spoony is a god awful freeloader now, but I still follow Debris, the guy is smart, funny and very consistent with his reviews. He sticks to his schedule all the time, and his patreon rewards were all involved with getting rid of ads, which is fantastic in my book.

Ayen
12-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Got any links? I heard rumors that she's doing reviews but could never find her

I wanna see too! :)

Jinx
12-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Rye's videos are so good. She's so freaking professional. Having seen her camera in person...jfc, it's the real deal.

Also she's really cute. :flirt:

blackmage_nuke
12-08-2015, 10:29 PM
I like Zero Punctuation but I can only really listen to about one a year these days if I want to avoid spoilers

Sephex
12-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Let's see....

JonTron (though he is far more entertainment based)
PBG (same as above)
ProJared
The Completionist
The Gaming Historian (not really a critic, but VERY solid channel)
Every Frame A Painting (very awesome video essays)
Nostalgia Critic (don't follow as much as I used to, but I still enjoy the stuff)
Red Letter Media (best known for the Star Wars Plinkett reviews)

In terms of Red Letter Media, they have been on fire lately. Below I'll link a full episode and then a short clip. The full episode is an hour long. But man is it worth it. At the VERY least watch from the 45:00 minute mark on when they talk about the third movie. The conversation just degenerates to pure chaos.

2-3wkbqmgxs

Alright, something far shorter because it is just a clip. Context for this clip. The group noticed a phone number on the back of a VHS box that was this crappy instructional video. One of them calls it and leaves a hilarious voice mail.

JVtdLKQr5ZQ

Karifean
12-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Glass Reflection for anime reviews. Jim Sterling for news. I also still watch new AVGN and Spoony episodes when they come out. That's about it.

Ayen
12-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Rye's videos are so good. She's so freaking professional. Having seen her camera in person...jfc, it's the real deal.

What kind of stuff does she review?

Shauna
12-08-2015, 10:45 PM
I forgot about JonTron! He is also great.

Psychotic
12-08-2015, 10:47 PM

What kind of stuff does she review?Prosthetic limbs and and rodeos mostly.

Sephex
12-08-2015, 10:47 PM
I forgot about JonTron! He is also great.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/walkingdead/images/b/b0/Jontron.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140315164222

I also forgot something, though. I also watch AVGN, but not all that often.

I also used to really watch Spoony very often, but his extremely poor attitude and lack of videos has really turned me off from him recently.

Jinx
12-08-2015, 10:51 PM

Don't forget that she travels around the boroughs of New York sampling and reviewing artisan mustards. Her hope is to find THE PERFECT DIJON.

Ayen
12-08-2015, 10:54 PM

Don't forget that she travels around the boroughs of New York sampling and reviewing artisan mustards. Her hope is to find THE PERFECT DIJON.

Okay, that's pretty smurfing awesome.

NeoCracker
12-08-2015, 10:55 PM
I'd still watch the fuck out of Spoony if he'd ever actually do videos.

Pretty much the only guy I still watch that came out of Channel Awesome is Bennet the Sage.

Jim Sterling is an odd one for me. I've heard him described as a Populace, saying he just shouts out what most people already think anyway, and while I think that was meant as an insult, I don't see why that's a bad thing. It's good to have that big unifying voice.

That said, his actual game reviews are a fucking joke sometimes. Say what you will about Sengura Kaga (The Boob game), but literally the only thing his entire review on it was saying the game had boobs and was full of fan service. He briefly stated the game played bad, but with no expanding on that in the slightest. No way was there to gauge why it was bad.

And really on any kind of social issue I think he's pretty terrible about when he gets on that boat too.

And not really a reviewer of any kind, but I'll toon in to Dodger (Dex Bonus) regularly, she's pretty funny and at times rather insightful.

Razorfist can be fun if you want a good hatefilled rant as well.

Del Murder
12-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Are internet critics critics on the internet or critics of the internet?

Ayen
12-08-2015, 11:04 PM

Questions like these keep me up at night o.o

Araciel
12-08-2015, 11:05 PM

A bit of both?

That being said, I liked spoony until he met his sjw gf and went all insane... seriously, when he streams he literally tells his audience to go fuck themselves and rages so hard. I'll still watch countermonkey though.

I like PBG and SpaceHamster, used to watch jontron and gamegrumps but meh not any more.

Nostalgia Critic was cool back in the day and i'll watch any bennett the sage ep where he talks about something i've seen.

AVGN was cool but he's become like a fast food chain that forgot its roots and is doing too much other stuff now.

I think that's about it.

Sephex
12-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Oh, we're including Game Grumps? Not really sure if that counts as a critic type of channel. While they do occasionally critique games they play it's a very light let's play channel that works more like a podcast while playing video games since they'll talk about random stuff.

Anyway, that's the channel I watch the most. Helps that there are three videos a day on it. I just really like the whole crew, especially Danny. I was one of the few that didn't freak out when Jon left because I already knew who Danny was because of NSP and I had confidence that the channel would still be awesome. That said, I was bummed Jon left, but ever since then a lot of his best JonTron material has come out, so I'll take that over him being on GG honestly.

Jinx
12-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Seems like most people are over Spoony these days.

Ayen
12-08-2015, 11:35 PM
I need to check out JonTron's stuff. Saw him as a guest in James & Mike Play and he seemed all right.

Are there any good critics out there who specializes in Sega games? I know one, but he is WAY too family friendly for my liking.

Sephex
12-09-2015, 12:01 AM

I don't say what I said with happiness, either. While Spoony has always been a bit of a drama queen, he's made up for it with top tier videos. Let's Play videos are harder than most people think, and he managed to carry hour or more videos at a time just by himself. And that wasn't even the main focus of his channel! His movie and video game reviews were clever, funny, and very informative.

I have him on my Twitter feed and all he does is complain and fight with his fans. He'll live tweet watching wrestling and it is clear he gets zero enjoyment out of it. He'll say stuff that he knows will instigate his fans and then acts all offended when people call him on his BS. It's really disappointing. It's like he's too good to say he simply doesn't like something.

Recently some fans told him to give Undertale a shot and he was dismissive of it. That doesn't bother me. Honestly, as much as I love the game, I know Spoony well enough after years of watching him (as far back as most of his site's material was his articles/pre TGWTG stuff) that Undertale is NOT for him. He wouldn't enjoy it at all.

What does bother me is how he chose to respond to his fans. Now, most normal people would say, "I understand this game is all the rage right now, but it's not for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though." What did he choose to do? Take a look at a screen shot or two, insult his fans, dismiss the game as "hipster garbage" (??????), and then sarcastically said something like, "I'm sure the game is great guys."

One of my buddies who would defend Spoony even if it turned out that he was somehow literally Hitler is done with him now. To me, that's absolutely insane and shows how far he has fallen and how his fans are really tired of his nonsense. I honestly can't understand how anyone from TGWTG crew can stand dealing with him. Maybe his internet bark is worse than his real life bite, I don't know.

Ayen
12-09-2015, 12:31 AM
It's appropriate his favorite wrestler is The Ultimate Warrior. Because he's on the path of his own self-destruction!

Jinx
12-09-2015, 12:49 AM

I don't say what I said with happiness, either. While Spoony has always been a bit of a drama queen, he's made up for it with top tier videos. Let's Play videos are harder than most people think, and he managed to carry hour or more videos at a time just by himself. And that wasn't even the main focus of his channel! His movie and video game reviews were clever, funny, and very informative.

I have him on my Twitter feed and all he does is complain and fight with his fans. He'll live tweet watching wrestling and it is clear he gets zero enjoyment out of it. He'll say stuff that he knows will instigate his fans and then acts all offended when people call him on his BS. It's really disappointing. It's like he's too good to say he simply doesn't like something.

Recently some fans told him to give Undertale a shot and he was dismissive of it. That doesn't bother me. Honestly, as much as I love the game, I know Spoony well enough after years of watching him (as far back as most of his site's material was his articles/pre TGWTG stuff) that Undertale is NOT for him. He wouldn't enjoy it at all.

What does bother me is how he chose to respond to his fans. Now, most normal people would say, "I understand this game is all the rage right now, but it's not for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though." What did he choose to do? Take a look at a screen shot or two, insult his fans, dismiss the game as "hipster garbage" (??????), and then sarcastically said something like, "I'm sure the game is great guys."

One of my buddies who would defend Spoony even if it turned out that he was somehow literally Hitler is done with him now. To me, that's absolutely insane and shows how far he has fallen and how his fans are really tired of his nonsense. I honestly can't understand how anyone from TGWTG crew can stand dealing with him. Maybe his internet bark is worse than his real life bite, I don't know.

I agree, it's quite a shame. After his Ultima Retrospective (which is awesome, and even Rob likes and we quote it), he kind of lost it for me.

But I remember waiting with anticipation for his next installment of Phantasmagoria, back when YouTube only allowed 10 minute videos. Those were the best days.

So yeah, I also miss old Spoony. And I used to have a crush on him and have sex dreams about him, but not so much now.

Sephex
12-09-2015, 12:53 AM

I agree, it's quite a shame. After his Ultima Retrospective (which is awesome, and even Rob likes and we quote it), he kind of lost it for me.

But I remember waiting with anticipation for his next installment of Phantasmagoria, back when YouTube only allowed 10 minute videos. Those were the best days.

So yeah, I also miss old Spoony. And I used to have a crush on him and have sex dreams about him, but not so much now.

Yeah, his Ultima videos were GOLD. And Phantasmagoria...wow, that was such an awesome LP. I might have to watch that one again.

"I heard that, Curtis!"

Ayen
12-09-2015, 12:55 AM
I remember checking out his X-2 videos. They were hilarious. Though a lot of it came from the game itself.

Laddy
12-09-2015, 01:13 AM
Spoony is a genius of comedy and very knowledgeable but it's a shame he's such an elitist. He has some mental health issues which I can understand but he can be downright incendiary about trout that just doesn't matter and will write off stuff for no other reason then he see it as "beneath" him. It's sad and I'd love to see him make a comeback but that's unlikely.

People I like who don't really make content anymore/I've lost interest in:
The Spoony One
Nostalgia Critic
The Cinema Snob
The Nostalgia Chick
Obscurus Lupa
JonTron

People I still watch and enjoy:
The Completionist
Game Grumps
ProJared
SpaceHamster
PBG
Satchbag
Caddicarus
Todd in the Shadows
GameTheory
Yahtzee
Jim Sterling
Rob Has a Prodcast

Lesser known Youtubers You Really Really Must Watch:
DanGheesling
BaerTaffy
Lazy Games Reviews
Pushing Up Roses
Brutal Moose
quill18
MattChat

blackmage_nuke
12-09-2015, 01:24 AM
I don't like Nostalgia Critic but I like Doug Walker (and his brother). His nostalgia critic videos have a bit too much fluff and are a bit too over-exaggerated but when he's just sitting in front of a camera talking about movies with or without his brother in a sensible manner he makes some interesting arguments with solid humorous insights. The only downfall is there aren't any clips edited into it so sometime's he'll describe a scene and I'll have trouble trying to picture which scene it was in my head.

Big D
12-09-2015, 05:18 AM

I also love Sursum Ursa's Stuff You Like. It's refreshing to see someone focusing on the positives and still being super intelligent and academic about it. Plus, she's Catholic and awesome, which makes her show resonate with me more XD

And then there's Rantasmo and Needs More Gay. I have learned so much about LGBT culture from him and I love everything he does to bits. Short and to the point, Rantasmo may not be as academic as Lindsay, but he's still really funny and insightful.

In general, I love everything on Chez Apocalypse. Nella has her Let's Read on there too, there's Vampire Reviews with Elisa, 50 Shades of Green is just incredible, and then there's also Brows Held High... Long live Chez Apocalypse! (or at least let's hope they come back soon... :G)I very much like your taste in online media criticism, which is practially a 100% match to my own. I'm also mourning the demise of blip.tv, though it's great that a lot of Chez Apocalypse's contributors have continued releasing content on their own Youtube channels.

I follow a few media criticism shows - not as many as I used to, since I'm now drawn almost entirely to series with a strong analytical bent as well as good entertainment value.

In no particular order, I try never to miss anything by:

Lindsay Ellis
Jill "Sursum Ursa" Bearup
Jamie/"Rantasmo" ('Needs More Gay')
Todd "In The Shadows" Nathanson
Kyle "Oancitizen" Kallgren

...and basically any other Chez Apocalypse mainstays.

To a slightly lesser extent, I also follow work by Paul "Paw Dugan" Schuler, his wife Elisa Hansen (another Chez Apocalypse contributor, but currently not producing following blip.tv's demise), Leon Thomas ('Renegade Cut') and Sarah "Pushing Up Roses" Wilson.

On the gaming side of things, I'm an avid viewer of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, Dan "Nerdcubed" Hardcastle, and Anita Sarkeesian. I also catch the occasional video by "Guru Larry" Bundy Jr.

Dr Stuart "Ashens" Ashen is my go-to guy for random tat you won't find reviewed (or eaten) elsewhere, and Mike Jeavons also contributes to that particular niche from time to time.

I recently started watching Rye's back-catalogue of literature videos, and I really need to finish catching up.

I do a little reviewing myself, together with a couple of friends, though we're entirely non-commercial at this stage and got into it purely out of enjoyment of the products we investigate. There's 'The Sesh', as linked in my signature, where we provide text and video reviews of craft beer, and 'The Single Malt Review' (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMp4VxlEq6Wn5ymFNy1V-Jg) which is all about whisky and other top-shelf spirits.

Shiny
12-09-2015, 04:23 PM
I don't like watching neckbeards so I prefer Rye tbh.

Fynn
12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Can someone give me that link already! People keep talking about Rye's awesome reviews, but I can't find her, which is sad, becasue I remember when she was here and we may have even talked once or twice :(

Big D
12-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Can someone give me that link already! People keep talking about Rye's awesome reviews, but I can't find her, which is sad, becasue I remember when she was here and we may have even talked once or twice :(Her show's called 'Buzzed on Books' (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOOTFmcMmOncH1WkvNBV31A).

Aerith's Knight
12-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Can someone give me that link already! People keep talking about Rye's awesome reviews, but I can't find her, which is sad, becasue I remember when she was here and we may have even talked once or twice :(Her show's called 'Buzzed on Books' (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOOTFmcMmOncH1WkvNBV31A).

She has the crazy eyes.

(videos are good, though)