PDA

View Full Version : Why is this game forgotten about?

Formalhaut
12-10-2015, 07:36 PM
I can't profess to know an intimate knowledge of any game below say, FFVII, really, but one thing I've noticed is that FFIII is often forgotten about more often than the others.

Why is that? I'm pretty curious to know.

Ayen
12-10-2015, 07:50 PM
I think it's because it came over here pretty late, and outside of the DS remake, there's no real way to play it except for emulation. If you wanted to play the original in its entirely, anyway. That, and I believe FFV kinda overshadows it in terms of the job system.

inb4 Wolf Kanno.

Wolf Kanno
12-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Yeah, its lack of exposure in the U.S. or really anywhere not Japan did it in. Being released 20 years after it came out simply made modern gamers look at it as a relic rather than a fun game. It's a shame too, as it is my favorite of the NES entries.

Formalhaut
12-10-2015, 09:27 PM
20 years?! Why did it take so long?

Wolf Kanno
12-11-2015, 12:10 AM
20 years?! Why did it take so long?

More like 16 actually. Original came out in 1990, and the DS version hit Japan in 2006, and the following year for everyone else.

It got dashed the first time because Square was too small to really publish games efficiently. FFII was planned on being released but the announcement of the Super Nintendo made Square choose to drop the project and turn their attention towards releasing their first game for the new console, FFIV. In the late 90s early 00s, Sakaguchi was made a deal to do remakes of the first three FFs for the WonderSwan after Nintendo turned him down to make them for their new handheld, the GBA. The first two games were remade pretty easily and even ported to PlayStation as FF Origins, but they ran into issues with FFIII because the amount of content combined with the graphical and technical upgrade made the game too big for the cartridge that the WonderSwan used. The game was put on hold until around 2004, when SE decided to remake the game. It was originally planned for the PS2 surprisingly enough but Nintendo struck a deal with them to have the game made for the DS instead. With the game finally made, SE finally decided to port the game outside of Japan thanks to the series popularity. It's just that by then, over sixteen years had passed. It's a shame the WonderSwan version wasn't made as the few screenshots they showed for it, made it look to be a rather faithful remake.

VeloZer0
12-11-2015, 04:32 AM
I think the problem of FF3 (asside from the all important logistical issues) is that it brought out so many great ideas. Why is this a bad thing? Because the ideas were good enough to stick around and be done better in future games.

Sephex
12-16-2015, 03:48 AM
THERE WAS A THIRD ONE?!

Ayen
12-16-2015, 05:06 AM
THERE WAS A THIRD ONE?!

Yeah, it's that one that came out on the Super Nintendo, right? :smug:

Leigh
01-26-2016, 08:36 PM
How does one remember something that is forgotten?

Philosophy.

FFNut
01-28-2016, 01:31 AM
Wasn't this called Mystic Quest? Ok I joke. I think it's what Wolf said.