PDA

View Full Version : Mythology is Cool

Ayen
12-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Lately I've been reading up on Greek Mythology for my current writing project I've been working on when I'm not doing videos. Medusa, Poseidon, the Underworld, etc. Been learning a lot of interesting stuff. Don't know why it took me so long to start reading into these things.

Talk about your favorite Mythologies.

Wolf Kanno
12-12-2015, 05:08 AM
Sumerian. The Epic of Gilgamesh is actually one of my favorite stories. I also enjoy, Greek, Norse, Shinto, Hindu, and the folklore of the British Isles and Australia. Playing lots of MegaTen tends to get you involved in ready up on all of these.

Mirage
12-12-2015, 05:43 AM
I might be biased but norse mythology is pretty cool

blackmage_nuke
12-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Whichever one Mad Max 4 was based on

Rin Heartilly
12-12-2015, 06:10 AM
I love mythology :D If there were degrees in mythology that actually landed me a job I would totally be studying it, astronomy too.

Norse mythology is my favourite but biblical ones are cool too, mainly in the book of revelation with the skeletal horsemen, the dragon, the winged leopard with many heads...etc although many of the creatures are supposed to represent current and previous world powers, it's pretty interesting.

Wolf Kanno
12-12-2015, 06:13 AM
I love mythology :D If there were degrees in mythology that actually landed me a job I would totally be studying it, astronomy too.

Norse mythology is my favourite but biblical ones are cool too, mainly in the book of revelation with the skeletal horsemen, the dragon, the winged leopard with many heads...etc although many of the creatures are supposed to represent current and previous world powers, it's pretty interesting.

Do I have a series for you.

Rin Heartilly
12-12-2015, 06:45 AM

This looks crazy familiar....and awesome. What's it called? :D

I swear the trumpeter angel looks like the summon from persona/SmT!

Wolf Kanno
12-12-2015, 06:55 AM

You actually got it. Its Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Most of the designs for the monsters in Persona 3 and 4 were lifted from this game. All of the creatures from Revelations and the Four Horsemen are optional battles in the game.

Fynn
12-12-2015, 11:57 AM
My school leaving exam had everyone prepare an oral presentation. Mine was about the various reinterpretations of classic myths. Needless to say, I am something of a classical mythology nerd.

I also Hindu stuff, anything from the Abrahamic religions, and Gnosticism, if that counts.

Yeah, SMT really only added fuel to the fire for me.

Aerith's Knight
12-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Fate/stay night

Mr. Carnelian
12-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Apart from the Judeo-Christian mythologies, Classical (Ancient Greek and Roman) mythology is what I'm most familiar with. If you're interested, Ovid's Metamorphoses is a good introduction to a wide variety of classical myths. I'd recommend reading it in prose form, at least the first time around.

As far as other mythologies are concerned, I have a passing knowledge of Norse mythology, and in regard to Hindu mythology I've read most of an English translation of the Ramayana, (still haven't read the last volume, so don't tell me how it ends!).

I do love Classical mythology. It has a focus on transformation which I've always found fascinating.

Freya
12-12-2015, 03:22 PM
I've always been partial to greek/roman myself. Norse is fun too.

Rin Heartilly
12-12-2015, 07:30 PM

You actually got it. Its Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Most of the designs for the monsters in Persona 3 and 4 were lifted from this game. All of the creatures from Revelations and the Four Horsemen are optional battles in the game.

Mind=Blown. I knew it looked familiar! I haven't played nocturn but other than persona, I have played smt4 and currently Devil survivor 2 rb. I wanna play Nocturn now, it looks so cool!

Fynn
12-12-2015, 08:33 PM

Mind=Blown. I knew it looked familiar! I haven't played nocturn but other than persona, I have played smt4 and currently Devil survivor 2 rb. I wanna play Nocturn now, it looks so cool!
Eeee! :love: SMT IV :D You should try Strange Journey too!

Fynn
12-12-2015, 09:19 PM
It's really the best series to learn this stuff. The main series often uses mythical stories as a source of inspiration for sidequests. Everything is super accurate and well researched.

escobert
12-12-2015, 09:22 PM
I like Norse mythology best.

Midgar Mist
12-13-2015, 12:08 AM
As Im from Merrie Old England I can only play Persona 3, 4 and Nocturne/Lucifers Call. But I like reading up on the compendium on Persona 4, how they bring all the mythologies together. Im also going to buy a book on German mythology soon.

Rin Heartilly
12-14-2015, 01:59 PM

Eeee! :love: SMT IV :D You should try Strange Journey too!

I totally will! :D

Mr. Carnelian
12-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Oh, no, this has turned into another Shinra Megamarmite Tensions appreciation thread hasn't it? :whimper:

:slump:Call me when it's over...

Actually, I don't mind the series at all, I'm really enjoying the Persona games. I just like making fun of how much Fynn loves it :p

Ayen
12-15-2015, 03:58 AM
Turning a Mythology Thread into a Persona Thread.

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!

This (http://www.greek-gods.org/) is a pretty good resource to learn more about the Greek gods and related subjects. Is it bad my first thought when reading about the Titans was how they'd make the earth move while smurfing? It is? Okay.

Fynn
12-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Actually, I don't mind the series at all, I'm really enjoying the Persona games. I just like making fun of how much Fynn loves it :p

I think you and Wolf Kanno should interact more often :p

Is it bad my first thought when reading about the Titans was how they'd make the earth move while smurfing? It is? Okay.

You do realize that the earth is Gaia, right? As in, the mother of the Titans, Gaia? Right? As in their mother?

Ayen
12-16-2015, 12:36 AM
Is it bad my first thought when reading about the Titans was how they'd make the earth move while smurfing? It is? Okay.

You do realize that the earth is Gaia, right? As in, the mother of the Titans, Gaia? Right? As in their mother?

Damn. Gaea getting some action on the side without having to do anything.

And yes, I know Gaea is the Earth. My brain just didn't think anything of it because incest between the gods and titans were common as smurf. Everyone is either married or banging their sister and trout.

Araciel
12-16-2015, 12:51 AM
D&D

Miriel
12-18-2015, 09:58 AM
"There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made. And he spoke to them, propounding to them themes of music; and they sang before him, and he was glad." - AINULINDALË

Tolkien's creation myth in the Silmarillion. Total magic and my absolute fav.

Shorty
12-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Egyptian, but my pets and fish have mostly been named after Greek/Roman figures.