PDA

View Full Version : Independence Day: Resurgence

charliepanayi
12-13-2015, 09:22 PM
In which Roland Emmerich tries to resurrect his career. Starring the less talented Hemsworth and one of Bill Paxton or Bill Pullman. Coming summer 2016!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbduDRH2m2M

Sephex
12-13-2015, 09:30 PM
I like the idea of our military technology being a hybrid with the alien technology. Special effects look good, too. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Ayen
12-13-2015, 09:31 PM
We always knew they'd come back.

We did? I must have missed that memo.

Don't know how to feel about this. A shame Will Smith won't be in it. Then again, depending how it goes, that might not be a bad thing.

Freya
12-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Omg. Independence day is one of my all time favs and I love them hemsworths so this will be a fun one.

Mirage
12-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Mindless humanity fuck yeah action movie. I'll probably watch it

Fox
12-14-2015, 12:56 AM
Hmmmmmmm!!

Didn't er... didn't exactly need a sequel, this one.

I like to think that Jeff Goldblum wouldn't have signed on if the script didn't have something going for it. I know, I know, "What about Jurassic Park 2?" but I smurfing loved that film OK? ^^;

Ayen
12-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Hmmmmmmm!!

Didn't er... didn't exactly need a sequel, this one.

I like to think that Jeff Goldblum wouldn't have signed on if the script didn't have something going for it. I know, I know, "What about Jurassic Park 2?" but I smurfing loved that film OK? ^^;

So did I.

So sue me.

Mr. Carnelian
12-14-2015, 03:12 AM
Eh. I think I can take it or leave it, to be honest. Independence Day really didn't need a sequel. Plus, couldn't they just use a computer virus again, and thus defeat the aliens really quickly?

Formalhaut
12-14-2015, 03:35 AM
Independence Day did and did not need a sequel. On the one hand, did you really expect the Aliens, after one failed invasion, to go "Yep, looks like Earth's out of the picture. Let's move on guys!"? A sequel is almost mandatory if you look at the story.

On the other hand, the film was so famous that any attempt at a sequel will be compared to the original, and I fear for the new movie in that case.

Mirage
12-14-2015, 03:39 AM
Eh. I think I can take it or leave it, to be honest. Independence Day really didn't need a sequel. Plus, couldn't they just use a computer virus again, and thus defeat the aliens really quickly?

Surely they must have installed an antivirus by now.

Big D
12-14-2015, 04:40 AM
It looks like "more of the same, except bigger". In the case of Independence Day, that's about all one needs from a sequel.

I'm not going to anticipate it with bated breath, but I'll most likely see it and almost certainly enjoy it as a couple of hours of dumb, escapist fun.

The original movie's going to be 20 years old when the sequel comes out. Holy crap. Mae Whitman, who played President Whitman's young daughter Patricia (as well as Yuffie in Kingdom Hearts, coincidentally) is 27 now. For some reason she's not reprising her role in Resurgence, though; the role's gone to someone five years younger instead.

charliepanayi
12-14-2015, 09:11 AM
I think Mae Whitman is better off not coming back for this to be honest.

Pike
12-14-2015, 02:54 PM
I want to see this so bad and I don't even care. The first movie was 100% my childhood.

Also, Jeff Goldblum.

escobert
12-14-2015, 05:32 PM
I love the first movie and as Pike said Jeff Goldblum! I'll see it for sure.

DMKA
12-15-2015, 01:43 AM
We finally get an ID4 sequel and....no Will Smith?

:(

Mr. Carnelian
12-15-2015, 02:08 AM

Am I the only one thinking "Good riddance?"

I didn't think he was particularly good in Independence Day, to be honest.

Bri
12-15-2015, 02:31 AM
Interesting! Can't wait.

Ayen
12-15-2015, 03:52 AM

Am I the only one thinking "Good riddance?"

I didn't think he was particularly good in Independence Day, to be honest.

Yes.

I heard Will turned down reprising his role, so... Yeah.

Rocket Edge
12-17-2015, 02:06 AM
Who cares if it warranted a sequel or not?

The first one was awesome. The reason it did so well IMO was the humor and fun factor. I REALLY hope they don't go Chris Nolan on it and be like 'this is serious trout', and I won't end up enjoying it as much. Looking decent.

Also, Jeff Goldblum.

Hollycat
12-17-2015, 04:07 AM
This being an actual thing is still hard for me to comprehend. Like, how could they make a second one? I kind of figured the ship they blew up was the whole civilization or something. Guess it makes sense it wouldnt have been though.

Whatever, I'll give it a watch.

charliepanayi
12-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Who cares if it warranted a sequel or not?

The first one was awesome. The reason it did so well IMO was the humor and fun factor. I REALLY hope they don't go Chris Nolan on it and be like 'this is serious trout', and I won't end up enjoying it as much. Looking decent.

Also, Jeff Goldblum.

The first film is enjoyably daft (and I very much doubt they'll be going super po-faced for this one) but in 2016 I'd rather see a new Christopher Nolan film than a new Roland Emmerich film, Independence Day was about the last decent film he made.

And I could do without unwarranted sequels, we have enough of those as it is.

Mr. Carnelian
12-17-2015, 12:50 PM
This being an actual thing is still hard for me to comprehend. Like, how could they make a second one? I kind of figured the ship they blew up was the whole civilization or something.

They definitely implied that. But, I don't think they ever said it explicitly, so it's not like they'll be retconning by having another ship show up.

Let's be honest here: this sequel is a cash cow. They would have retconned if they'd had to. I might watch it, but what I'm expecting is a lesser version of the original. The CGI and trout will be better, but I bet the acting will be wooden and the storyline contrived.

'Twas ever thus with cash cow sequels...