PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Beyond

charliepanayi
12-14-2015, 04:55 PM
The trailers just keep coming. I get the feeling if you didn't much care for the last two Star Trek films then this one won't be for you either. I've enjoyed the last two, so I'll wait and see on this (hopefully they won't try to remake a previous film this time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

Jinx
12-14-2015, 05:00 PM
I thought Into Darkness was just okay, but I loved the first one. I'm excited!

Freya
12-14-2015, 05:12 PM
ooooooooooooooo

Ayen
12-14-2015, 06:11 PM
If Kirk doesn't get with the alien chick, I'm going to be disappointed.

Strange how that's my only hope going in.

Freya
12-14-2015, 06:18 PM
It looks super actiony, which really isn't a Star Trek thing. I do enjoy the new movies, though they're fun sci-fi. This time, it's directed by a different guy, the guy who did the fast and the furious movies. Despite plot, those are fun entertaining movies so this should, at least, be a fun ride.

Crop
12-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Looks like a fun romp! I enjoyed the previous two so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-14-2015, 09:24 PM
.............................huh.

Sephex
12-14-2015, 10:11 PM
It looks alright. I am sure the actual movie will be better than the trailer displayed, but I am more of the classic Star Trek fan where I feel all the "boring" dialogue and science is more fascinating.

That said I did enjoy the first reboot movie a lot. I felt Into Darkness got a little too cartoonish and while every movie has weird plot problems, espeically big movies, there were too many glaring ones in that one.

Ayen
12-15-2015, 01:31 AM
Star Trek was about the characters and the movies have stayed fateful to them. Hopefully they're just trying to cater the people who usually go and see that director's movie for ticket sales and the movie will be more than what we're seeing in the trailer. They know by now Trekkies are going to hate on it regardless of what they try to do.

DMKA
12-15-2015, 01:58 AM
The first Star Trek in this reboot franchise was fantastic, probably one of my favorite films ever.

Into Darkness was good, but not as good.

This will probably be good but the trailer doesn't make it look good. The trailer makes it feel like a comedy. Seriously, I'm getting Galaxy Quest vibes here.

Araciel
12-16-2015, 01:03 AM
Trailer is weak as fuck. Also lol motorcycle flying through the air. I'm so not going in with high expectations.

Big D
12-16-2015, 03:11 AM
I like that the trailer gives away very little, and appears to be cobbled together from 2 or 3 action scenes.

I'm expecting the final film will deliver some actual surprises, especially to long-time fans. From what I gather, it looks like being a more traditional Trek-esque story: the crew are stranded in completely unfamiliar territory, without most of their advanced technology, and have to work together with suspicious aliens in order to save the day through innovation, inspiration and perspiration.

If so, then I'll be pleased. The fact that Simon Pegg's been heavily involved in writing makes me all the more optimistic. I reckon there's a concerted effort to depart somewhat from the direction of the previous two reboot films, and I'll be intrigued to find out more.

Sure, this initial trailer just seems to be a couple of minutes of mindless action nonsense - then again, that's exactly what I thought of the trailer for Mad Max: Fury Road. I never ended up seeing that film, but it seemed to do a pretty good job of defying expectations.

krissy
12-16-2015, 06:13 AM
2 star 2 trek

Mr. Carnelian
12-16-2015, 12:32 PM
However bad it is, it can't be as bad as Star Trek Nemesis. Those were dark days...

charliepanayi
12-16-2015, 02:08 PM
However bad it is, it can't be as bad as Star Trek Nemesis. Those were dark days...

I think some of the people who have been so down on the last film forget how dreadful some of the previous films were.

charliepanayi
05-21-2016, 09:43 AM
New trailer (which goes for a slightly less bombastic tack this time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzWIGFiGrlA

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Oh yes.

Mirage
05-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Looks like a generic space action movie dressed up in star trek uniforms.

05-21-2016, 08:05 PM
Looks like a generic space action movie dressed up in star trek uniforms.

Star Trek started those.

Night Fury
05-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Idris Elba is in this.

I'm game.

charliepanayi
06-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Some awful news, Anton Yelchin who plays Chekov in the new films has died at the age of 27 :(

Slothy
06-19-2016, 07:28 PM
God damn...

Fox
06-19-2016, 08:25 PM
Same age as me. T_T

Ayen
06-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Jesus Christ. Nobody is safe this year.

Freya
06-22-2016, 09:35 PM
They're dedicating this movie to him.

Jinx
06-23-2016, 12:23 AM

I would have been incredibly surprised and very put off had they not.

DMKA
06-24-2016, 03:39 AM
He died in such a lame way too. His car's parking break spontaneously disengaged and the car rolled down his driveway and crushed him against a brick pillar while he was out checking his mail. It was due to a faulty transmission that Jeep just got ready to send a recall out on too. So his family should have no problem getting a hefty settlement from Chrysler I'd imagine.

Not that that's any consolation. :(

Ayen
06-24-2016, 03:48 AM

Better be a damn good move, then.

Though, while I know a lot of hardcore Trek fans didn't like them, I've found the first two movies to be solid, so I have faith in that regards despite how they sold the movie in trailers.

Freya
06-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Even the hardcore Trekkies are saying he was one of the great things about the reboots. He nails Chekov

Skyblade
06-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Even the hardcore Trekkies are saying he was one of the great things about the reboots. He nails Chekov

Not as well as Karl Urban nailed McCoy. I actually don't think he nailed the original character, but I prefer his role to the original Chekov as a character. Though all of the actors in the reboot were simply too young (in the original, Kirk was the youngest captain to ever get command of a starship, and he was 31 at the time), I feel that several of them had a better purpose than in the original. I like how much they emphasized their skills and talents. Having Chekov shown to be a young genius worked really, really well. I also like that, despite his skills and aptitude, he still failed to save Spock's mother. As good as he is, he's not perfect.

It's a tragedy. There was a lot of promise there.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-24-2016, 04:37 PM
I agree that he didn't capture the original Chekov as well as he captured that certain charm the character had while still making the character his own. I really is too bad to loose a young talent.

I'm not certain about the movie. I'm going to wait for it to release outside of theaters. It hasn't done much to sell me on buying a ticket. Maybe the reviews after it's out will change my mind.

charliepanayi
06-27-2016, 07:33 PM
The latest trailer, complete with Rihanna song (alas, despite the name it's not a Peter Gabriel cover):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBXBMkcUNo

DMKA
06-28-2016, 03:02 AM
The latest trailer, complete with Rihanna song (alas, despite the name it's not a Peter Gabriel cover):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBXBMkcUNo

Well that refueled my hope for this movie. It's a trillion times better than the first trailer and makes the movie look decent.

Ayen
06-28-2016, 03:07 AM
Yeah, that was muuuuuuuuuuuch better. I'm more intrigued to see it now.

Fox
06-30-2016, 08:45 PM
I also quite liked the Rhianna song! And she does not​ make the kind of music I like. So that was a pleasant surprise.

Freya
07-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Has anyone seen it yet? Thoughts? I can't go see it this weekend because my niece will be over so I have to wait.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-22-2016, 10:30 PM
I thought it was enjoyable. I have some issues which I may get into sometime, mostly with the writing surrounding the main conflict. It's worth seeing though.

Big D
07-23-2016, 12:59 AM
I'm gonna see it soon, hopefully this weekend. I'm tempering my expectations, but I'm hoping to enjoy it!

Simon Pegg isn't a brilliant writer, but he is a good writer who genuinely cares about his material, and that counts for a lot to me.

07-26-2016, 12:00 AM
I really liked it a whole lot.

Slothy
07-26-2016, 12:10 AM
It was very good. Probably my favourite of the reboot movies.

charliepanayi
07-26-2016, 08:51 AM
It's pretty good, as usual they're strong with the characterisations and it moves along at a fair old clip. I saw the whole revelation towards the end coming a mile off though.

Pike
07-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Saw it and liked it a lot. The twist actually shocked me quite a bit, haha.

Fox
07-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Saw it and liked it a lot. The twist actually shocked me quite a bit, haha.

I agree with Captain Pike, it was a good film and a good twist!

Dunno if it was my cinema or the film itself but it was very hard to follow at times because everything seemed so dark. Obviously not a problem on the Enterprise because all the walls are brighter than the sun in there, but once caves entered the equation the entire film was lots of little shadows running around one big shadow.

Big D
08-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Saw it, loved it. Had a blast right through. The quiet character-driven moments really shone, and the action set-pieces were well-crafted and directed. Excellent dialogue and good use of both new and existing characters. The alien environments actually felt like 'strange new worlds' for a change, which was great, and the Yorktown base design was a marvel. Justin Lin's directing suited the material well.

Good callbacks to the better parts of Enterprise, and I liked the emphasis on Federation history and culture.

I feel that a lot of material was left on the cutting-room floor, especially in relation to the villain's army and operations, but maybe we'll see more of that in home media releases.

Not gonna lie: I very nearly choked up when a main character found a certain photograph in a scene near the end.

Short version: this film was better than I expected, and I'm well pleased.

Also, Jaylah was awesome. I know we're less likely to see her in future instalments, but she stole a great many scenes in this one.

The tributes to Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin were low-key, but respectful and touching.