PDA

View Full Version : Favorite PlayStation System

Ayen
12-15-2015, 04:15 AM
To make this more interesting I'm not including backwards compatibility in this. The PS2 doesn't need the help. So this will be things like specs, video game library, and things of that nature.

What's your favorite PlayStation System? I have to give it to PS1. It was my second video game console ever and introduced me to Monster Rancher, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, RPGs in general, Evil Zone, Armored Core, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and a ton of other games that made up my childhood. Needless to say there's a reason the first twenty reviews I ever did was PlayStation games.

Your turn.

maybee
12-15-2015, 04:53 AM
Psone/ PlayStation, so many great and fantastic games and the start up sound still gives me the chills.

Colonel Angus
12-15-2015, 05:18 AM
PS2 had FFX, X-2, XII, DQVIII, Soul Calibur III, some of the best MK games.

PSX is close, as it had a bunch of great FFs & it had a lot of great retro games.

Ayen
12-15-2015, 05:45 AM
Psone/ PlayStation, so many great and fantastic games and the start up sound still gives me the chills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxUScfOQwg

The best goddamn boot up screen in the world. I need to make this my ringtone.

Too bad my cellphone doesn't allow for custom ringtones. I always get the short end of the stick T_T

escobert
12-15-2015, 06:26 AM
PSX. It was the first console that I personally owned. It also had my first Final Fantasy and MANY hours of my early teens.

Pumpkin
12-15-2015, 06:37 AM
I CAN'T

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Probably the PS1, while the PS2 is a great system in its own right, I felt it was pretty slow to start and certain companies really missed their mark while others finally rise from the shadows.

As a fan of JRPGs though, the PS1 has the better pedigree and it was a more exciting time to be a gamer whereas I feel that the PS2 is when several developers finally went into business mode, so PS1 just felt like a more creative time for the designers and the fans. It's also the middle and end of Square's Golden Age, they never quite bounced back to their "do no wrong" era of PS1 as most of Square's titles in the PS1 era are pretty enjoyable on some level whereas it always felt more hit and miss in the PS2 era before striking out in the PS3. Capcom also never quite held my interest after this era. It's hard to beat SFAlpha 3, Breath of Fire III and IV, and the MMX series really hitting its prime. Also Symphony of the Night and the birth of Rhythm games. :love:

On the other hand, while I love me some Persona 2, I feel it's hard to argue that MegaTen as a franchise came into its own on the PS2. SMTIII, Avatar Turner, Raidou Kuzunoha, and Persona 3 and 4 are easily some of the best games to come out of the company in years and while they are still going strong, it's hard to find a lineup past the PS2 era that is equal in terms of overall quality and mass appeal. Konami also had their last hurrah in this era, with MGS 2 and 3, Silent Hill 2 and 4, and some killer DDR titles.

So its a toss up between these two but the nostalgia-tard that I am will probably say the PS1 because it was the last time I ever felt really excited to be a gamer.

Sephex
12-15-2015, 09:15 AM
They'll never come close to touching the PS2 library. The industry won't even be in that climate again. Though PS1 is a close second for me.

Pete for President
12-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I CAN'T

SAME!

I've got some really fond memories of the PSX, playing Tenchu 2 for hours and hours on end, beating Metal Gear Solid once every month almost religiously, passing on the controller playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2, being intrigued by Vagrant Story which I didn't manage to beat until years and years later, and even playing the original GTA demo over and over again exploring and destroying everything.

Then there's the PS2 with SSX Tricky and Vice City and FFX and Ace Combat 4/5/0 and all those incredible single player experiences. I used to know every single thing about these games.

But I think I clocked more hours on PS3 compared to anything else. And PS3 had Dark Souls.

Zanmato
12-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Long live PS2, baby! :D
I love it due to all these games I've played, especially SCIII, FFX, Driver: PL and Burnout: Revenge. :P
Also, this is one of the consoles that changed the video game industry and certainly it'll be remembered forever. :3

Loony BoB
12-15-2015, 02:06 PM
No matter how hard I try to convince myself one is better than the others, I wind up convincing myself that another is better "because [reason]". This is far more difficult than I anticipated. I think I'll end up going with PSX. Probably. Maybe.

Probably PS3 a close second, and PS2 a close third, and PS4 a close 4th but likely to boost itself up the ranks dependant on future releases.

Raistlin
12-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Not including backwards compatibility, I have to give a (slight) edge to the PS1 (though the PS2 more than holds its own as a great standalone system). Most of my favorite all-time games, especially JRPGs, were for the PS1 or at least were remade for it (Suikoden I and II, FFT and VII, Lunar SSSC, BoF III, etc.). I think the PS2 had the better non-JRPG games, but my nerdiness gives the PS1 the edge.

Taking the entire system into account, though, the PS2 is still the greatest console ever made.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-15-2015, 07:48 PM
It has to be the PS1 for me. The PS2 is a very strong contender though.

I've always wondered what we would have seen if Sony and Nintendo hadn't parted ways.

There's part of me that thinks it would have been a powers combined juggernaut, but then I remember Nintendo and think about all the great PS1 games that never would have been allowed on it if it was a Nintendo system.

They probably did everyone a favor my making Sony pissed off.

Psychotic
12-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Ughhhh, just about PS2 over PS1. I like that they're both tied and nothing else has a vote! After the big two I prefer the PS4 to the PS3 and I don't have any of the handhelds.

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Ughhhh, just about PS2 over PS1. I like that they're both tied and nothing else has a vote! After the big two I prefer the PS4 to the PS3 and I don't have any of the handhelds.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to beat that one-two punch of the first two PlayStations.

Midgar Mist
12-15-2015, 10:04 PM
I cannot choose between ps1 and ps2. I have more ps2 games but ps1 but I have those teenage memories of ps1 that take me back to the 90s (where I belong)

Ayen
12-16-2015, 12:43 AM

Me too. I wasn't expecting that.

Though now that we've mentioned it I'm sure someone will vote for one of the other systems.

Crop
12-16-2015, 12:50 AM
A very close call, but I think the PS2 juuuust about edges it for me, even without the backwards compatibility.

Although midway through typing this I'm looking at my game collection and am having second thoughts - Soviet Strike, Dino Crisis 1+2, Die Hard Trilogy, C+C Red Alert, Tomb Raider 1-5, Crash 1-3, Tekken 3, Team Buddies! God, what have I done!

Karifean
12-16-2015, 01:16 AM
Have to give it to the PS2 for all my experiences and memories with it, although at this point the PS3 and Vita doubtlessly have my theoretical favorite lineup of games going for them.

Loony BoB
12-16-2015, 11:42 AM
I think it goes to show just how well the PS systems have done in general that PS3 had such a freaking amazing line-up of games and still hasn't got a vote. Hopefully PS4 gets just as good treatment.

Bubba
12-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Yeah, so many great memories on the PS1 so that will get my vote. Very closely followed by PS2 though.

Rocket Edge
12-16-2015, 02:07 PM
I can't choose.

I'm trying not to let nostalgia cloud my judgement, but PS1 by maybe 1%. It introduced me games I adore. Tekken, Final Fantasy, Syphon Filter, Spyro The Dragon, etc. The PS3 would tie with the PS2. The PS2 gave me so many gaming memories but PS3 gave me Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Call of Duty: World at War and online gaming as a whole.