PDA

View Full Version : Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV?

Wolf Kanno
12-17-2015, 05:31 PM

Square-Enix announced today that the next Active Time Report for Final Fantasy XV will be at the end of January (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/17/final-fantasy-xvs-next-active-time-report-will-take-place-in-late-january-2016/). The event will focus on magic and how it works with the new battle system as well as giving story details about the Nifelheim Empire plus other details. The exact date and time will be revealed later

In addition to this, SE released a 50 question survey recently in Japan (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/17/final-fantasy-xv-might-release-around-the-same-time-as-persona-5-in-summer-2016/). While most of the survey simply asked what fans were interested in the game, there was one interesting question of note. The questions asked the fans that were interested in purchasing both XV and Persona 5, that if both games were to release at the same time, which game would you prioritize getting?

What is interesting about this question is that while Persona 5 has no official date, its slated to release sometime in the summer of next year. This question may be SE deciding whether to release Final Fantasy XV around the same time meaning we have a more narrow window for an exact release date for the title.

So are fans excited to see how magic is going to work with the new battle system? How about the possibility of an actual release within the next six months?

fat_moogle
12-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Ohmigosh this Active Time Report should be epic! Can't wait to see how the magic is implemented, and a possible Summer release date?! Ohmigosh x 2!!

It's about time we got some new story info as well!

Ayen
12-17-2015, 06:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BfEr7dx.png

Depression Moon
12-17-2015, 08:48 PM
http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_1080,w_1920/t_mp_quality/soqejw7ipz4junt2u0qa/everything-catherine-could-actually-be-teaching-persona-5-for-its-release-date-persona-5-578967.jpg
If these two games came out around the same time which one would you pick up first? This is the question that Square Enix is insinuating with their recent Japanese questionnaire (http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ff15/info/questionnaire/). Persona 5 is scheduled to release during the summer of next year so Square Enix may in fact be planning a summer 2016 release for their upcoming game Final Fantasy XV. The possibility of them wanting to know what other JRPGs their fans are interested in is also another option. In addition to asking what purchase fans would prioritize, they also ask fans what they find most interesting about Persona 5.

1. Because it’s a JRPG
2. The world setting is interesting
3.The characters are interesting
4. I’m a fan of Atlus games
5. I’m a fan of the Persona series
6. The promotion caught my interest
7. I heard about its popularity

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/17/final-fantasy-xv-might-release-around-the-same-time-as-persona-5-in-summer-2016/#YoQtvkeuZh88KOkd.99

Could we see Final Fantasy XV next summer? Which game would you buy if they were to release at the same time?

Del Murder
12-17-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm more likely to get FFXV than Persona 5 but that's because I don't like the Persona games. :p Great to finally hear how magic works since that has been conspicuously absent from the demos.

Fynn
12-17-2015, 09:09 PM
My priority is getting both at once because I desperately need both of those games inside me right now

Pumpkin
12-17-2015, 09:11 PM
XV definitely. While I'm not mega pumped, I do want to try it and I have practically zero interest in Persona 5 tbh

Hollycat
12-17-2015, 09:13 PM
It'll definitely be Persona 5 for me. I love ff, but the series has gone through so many changes that I'm not willing to pay full price for them.
I'll pick up 15 when it's close to $20

Persona has maintained a consistently excellent quality and hits all the right places for me, so it'll be day one. If they announce a female protagonist I'll go pre order it even.

Wolf Kanno
12-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Persona 5 for me, but largely because it's for PS3 and 4 so I actually have a console for it. XV, Type-0 and Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna are about the only PS4 exclusives I'm interested in.

Depression Moon
12-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Whoops didn't realize I posted this in General SE and not XV, but I don't think it's a big deal. Me? The release date doesn't mean much for me at the moment and as of today I haven't completed one Persona game so I'll likely get Final Fantasy XV first.

fat_moogle
12-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Oh, the thread changed.

Then my answer is Final Fantasy XV. Come next year it would have been a decade since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced and I've been a Final Fantasy Fan (check out that alliteration) since 1997. A decade ago I'd never even heard of Persona, and I only started playing it last year. I've still yet to complete it (P3P). I'll only get P5 once I've completed 3 and 4.

Formalhaut
12-18-2015, 01:15 AM
My priority is getting both at once because I desperately need both of those games inside me right now

:erm:

NeoCracker
12-18-2015, 10:52 AM

:erm:

I'm going to have Persona 5 so far up my ass whoever can pull it out will be named the next king of Britan.

....So yeah, Persona 5 is my most anticipated game of next year i fyou can't tell.

Psychotic
12-18-2015, 11:27 AM
FFXV. I've never played a Persona game and other than some top notch bear puns I've heard about I'm not overly interested in them either.

Rin Heartilly
12-18-2015, 12:19 PM

I concur!! If both were released at the same time, I would purchase both at the same time. I am sooooooo pumped for both >w<

maybee
12-18-2015, 01:17 PM
I have a feeling that if more people say the Persona series then SE will make FF 16 go down the Persona path. Epsically if the FF XV sales are poor compared to past Final Fantasies and the fanbase hates it.

Freya
12-18-2015, 02:53 PM
FFXV. I've never played a Persona game and other than some top notch bear puns I've heard about I'm not overly interested in them either.

Dat. Same.

Formalhaut
12-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Either way, 2016 will be a great year for gaming.

Depression Moon
12-18-2015, 04:58 PM
I like the images that are being produced out of this.

https://i.imgur.com/jNSaSWU.gif
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9Fpx7KCIAEo14k.png

Ayen
12-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Don't care about XV and never played a Persona game so I'm pretty neutral.

DMKA
12-19-2015, 02:07 AM
I find it extremely hard to believe FFXV will be out by summer but anything is possible I suppose.

Oh and I have no interest in Persona, so FFXV for me. :p

Fynn
12-19-2015, 06:19 AM
This whole thing is funny because I remember this whole discussion where a lot of people were like really dismissive towards Persona and that it's an obscure, irrelevant series that didn't have its FFVII moment yet. But look at this - SE is now treating P5 as a potential thread to FF fucking XV :p

Wolf Kanno
12-19-2015, 06:25 AM
Probably because Persona has a strong following in Japan. MegaTen is actually a bigger franchise over there than here, but I'm sure SE has noticed the series has been catching on with Westerners. Still , I almost feel like this question is geared towards Japan than abroad.

Ayen
12-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Hasn't Persona fans also been waiting a decade for P5? Since P4 came out in 2008?

I'm amused.

Fynn
12-19-2015, 06:33 AM
Hasn't Persona fans also been waiting a decade for P5? Since P4 came out in 2008?

I'm amused.

We got a lot of stuff in the meantime though, including Persona Q, the Arena games, Dancing All Night, portable remakes of all the games. Plus, it's not like it was announced seven years ago. That and the fans just don't seem to take the wait so personally :p

Wolf Kanno
12-19-2015, 06:45 AM
It also helps that fans are aware that Atlus is a small company. The number of staff that has been working on P5 is probably about the same size as the one that worked on the 16-bit era of FFs. So about 20 or so people. Whereas FFXV has a staff probably ranging over 100 if other sources are to be believed, so it's actually reasonable for P5 to be a long wait. Hell the staff even said Catherine was created partly to get the team familiarized with new tech trends with developing for the PS3 for the sole purpose of making P5 later.

Ayen
12-19-2015, 07:01 AM
-Marathon Persona in the meantime-
-Forgot to ask for P3 for Christmas-
WAAAAAAAAAAH!

Skyblade
12-24-2015, 07:18 AM
I have a feeling that if more people say the Persona series then SE will make FF 16 go down the Persona path. Epsically if the FF XV sales are poor compared to past Final Fantasies and the fanbase hates it.

So, we'd get a Final Fantasy game with turn based combat, character development, and a well written story?

EVERYONE GO SAY YOU'LL GET PERSONA 5 FIRST!

BreakfastGrilledCheese
01-03-2016, 01:10 AM
Oh man. I'm so pumped up for Persona 5. I'm digging the red/black scheme so hard! Unf! So hot.

I'll pick up FF after I sink about 80+ hours in to P5.

Slothy
01-04-2016, 12:22 AM
I'll break down my thought process for anyone interested:

- In the last ten years we've had some great Persona games (Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 4 Arena, I've heard Persona Q is good but have yet to play it).
- In the last ten years Squenix have given us Final Fantasy XII, and a disturbing number of steaming pieces of shit. Like, the only enjoyable games they've made are Bravely Default which I've barely played, and Theatrhythm which isn't really comparable to a next-gen FF title. I literally can't think of anything that's come from them out of Japan that is even interesting to me and FFXV is being made by some of my least favourite people in the company.

So obviously, I will be running straight out to pick up my copy of FFXV. :p

Forsaken Lover
01-05-2016, 01:34 AM
As far as I know, SMT and Persona are niche, even in Japan. But Persona 4 kinda broke into the mainstream and Atlus is desperately keeping it there in the public consciousness.

Fynn
01-05-2016, 05:52 AM
Nah, SMT is actually big in Japan

Forsaken Lover
01-05-2016, 06:17 AM
I dunno, you're the only person I've heard who said that.

Being more popular in Japan than here =/= actually being mainstream.

Wolf Kanno
01-05-2016, 06:32 AM
SMT is actually one of the top five RPG series in Japan, the franchise dates back to NES days.

SMTIII was the first breakout hit for the franchise in the U.S. thanks to the extra PR from having Dante of Devil May Cry fame making a cameo in the game. The franchise saw some modest hits with Digital Devil Saga and Devil Summoner. Persona 3 was the big sleeper hit that caught people by surprise and then the buzz from that game helped make P4 become a hit as well. Atlus has gone on record saying Persona is their biggest franchise now, finally overtaking SMT, hence why P3/4 have remakes, directors cuts, ports, spin-offs, and so forth.

The series is still niche abroad, but if you really look at sales numbers then nothing is going to really compete with Final Fantasy and The Elder Scrolls at this point, so most RPGs are basically "niche".

Forsaken Lover
01-05-2016, 04:39 PM
It goes:
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy

Tales
Persona which is not SMT anymore really
Something else

I dunno what the other top spot is but Tales has always been a distant #3 in the articles I've read.

Fynn
01-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Persona which is not SMT anymore really

To be fair, P5 does seem to be bringing back many SMT elements that have been removed from the series.

Wolf Kanno
01-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Honestly, beyond the lack of post-apocalypse setting and the focus on characters, there really isn't anything gameplay-wise that sets it apart from other SMT games in the franchise that isn't just an overhaul of the system. Persona 1 and 2 played differently from other MegaTen games but P3 and P4 are just derivatives of SMTIII from a gameplay standpoint. Persona is basically MegaTen with a heavier focus on characters which is what it was created as in the first place.