PDA

View Full Version : Dynasty Warriors

Pumpkin
12-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Anyone in to this series? I was thinking of trying one of them some day but I know next to nothing about it

Psychotic
12-19-2015, 09:04 AM
It is the god damn business. That is all.

NeoCracker
12-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Few games offer such a satisfying method of murdering never ending swarms of enemies.

Karifean
12-19-2015, 12:43 PM
I've played Dynasty Warriors 4 and the Xtreme Legends version of 5. Bad move not just picking up the regular version of 5 but I didn't know that at the time. I have many fond memories of playing DW4 co-operatively with my brother, and DW5XL was pretty fun as well but I fear the repetitive nature of the games would get to me if I tried getting back into the series.

Skyblade
12-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Never played a regular Dynasty Warriors game. But Hyrule Warriors was utterly fantastic, and I'm so looking forward to the new additions and characters in Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Pumpkin
12-19-2015, 02:12 PM
It is the business. That is all.

what does this even mean?

Psychotic
12-19-2015, 02:23 PM
it game that bring me happy

Pumpkin
12-19-2015, 02:23 PM
oh k

Shauna
12-19-2015, 03:03 PM
It's pretty fun! My first foray into the series was Dynasty Warriors 2 on the PS2 and that is a travesty compared to other versions.

Hollycat
12-19-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm a huge fan of the series. Way back I even co-hosted a (awful) mafia game using dynasty warriors.
I feel like 7 was a huge step back, and 8 almost completely fixed all the problems I had, but even today my favorite in the series is easily Warriors Orochi 2+3

Mr. Carnelian
12-20-2015, 01:47 AM
I've played Dynasty Warriors 4, 5, 7 and 8.

The games have their share of problems, one of the major which for me is no plot worth speaking about.

But, they're good, mindless fun. :) You can really switch off your brain and just enjoy the mindless violence. :p

Ayen
12-20-2015, 02:15 AM
Heard of it, but haven't played. My brother owns Dynasty Warriors 8, so I may check it out if I have the time. Which is a rarity lately.

Pumpkin
12-20-2015, 02:59 AM
We got 8 pretty cheaply in the bargain bin. Its pretty fun

starlet
12-20-2015, 03:48 AM
I MISS THIS GAME SOO SOOOO MUCH. Yeah, I have Hyrule Warriors, but it's not DW3! Pumpkin if you ever have a chance to play dw3 do it, it's entertaining for the bad voice acting alone!

Spuuky
12-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Dynasty Warriors is great. So are Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, etc. Soon I will have Dragon Quest Heroes, and I can only imagine how great it will be.

Psychotic
12-20-2015, 10:54 PM
no plot worth speaking about. The plot is superb and I won't have it any other way. It's based on one of the greatest classical novels there is which in turn is based on real history. http://www.threekingdoms.com/001.htm (no, I know it's not an accurate historical account and there's obvious embellishment, exaggeration and bias towards Shu but still a bloody good read) The only downside is that they have to keep retelling the same novel every time!

Yes, okay, there's a nice slice of cheese in there but I seriously can't be the only one who gets a bit sad when the likes of Guan Yu, Sun Ce or Dian Wei die.

In other news, share your favourite tracks!

TMYiEHmL9Xg

OOpUao9P01g

Pumpkin
12-21-2015, 12:09 AM
I started the story mode with Lu Bu, not knowing what I was picking. The guy is kind of a jackass.

Lu Bu: I think you're weak. I'm going to steal your kingdom while you're away and slaughter your people

:monster:

Skyblade
12-21-2015, 12:48 AM
I started the story mode with Lu Bu, not knowing what I was picking. The guy is kind of a jackass.

Lu Bu: I think you're weak. I'm going to steal your kingdom while you're away and slaughter your people

Lu Bu: Also, I'm practically a deity among the warriors.

Seriously, I haven't played the actual games, but I know the series's reputation for Lu Bu being intentionally broken. :p

Hollycat
12-21-2015, 03:35 AM

Lu Bu: Also, I'm practically a deity among the warriors.

Seriously, I haven't played the actual games, but I know the series's reputation for Lu Bu being intentionally broken. :p
What's really hilarious is his daughter is actually even more broken than he is. They give her his weapon from dw6, and change it up a bit. If you aren't playing on the most difficult setting, she's basically untouchable.
Samurai Warriors has two characters who are Lu Bu ish. Tadakatsu Honda, who has the same stats as Lu Bu and is a legendary warrior, but his moveset clearly shows Lu Bu is supposed to be superior. The other guy, Keiji Maeda is similar to Lu Bu just with lower stats.
Whats really amusing to me is they all have spear like weapons that arent spears. Lu Bu has a Halberd, Honda has a greatspear/ funky shovel, and Maeda has a split pike. Even Orochi, the other character who matches Lu Bu's stats (and is possibly more broken than his daughter is) has a weapon that is a long staff with a blade on the end (a reaper scythe).

starlet
12-21-2015, 04:01 AM
DONT PURSUE LU BU

Hollycat
12-21-2015, 04:14 AM
DONT PURSUE LU BU
Video Game Logic:
The game is telling me not to go after this guy, I bet I get something cool for going after him!
Reality:
Lu Bu murdered my face with two hits and now I have to start over.

Pumpkin
12-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Finished the Lu Bu storyline. Or at least part of it? Seems like there may be some branching paths

Spuuky
12-22-2015, 07:38 PM
All the stories overlap and interweave, and you see them from different perspectives. Lu Bu is kind of a side-note in general though.

Formalhaut
12-22-2015, 07:50 PM
All the stories overlap and interweave, and you see them from different perspectives. Lu Bu is kind of a side-note in general though.

The 'Others' category in the games have always been side-lined somewhat in games. In Dynasty Warriors 8, their relegated to a single scenario, which is a shame, because I really like Zhu Rong.

Pumpkin
12-22-2015, 08:22 PM
So it turns out I cant play the other stories as the version I purchased was apparently an expansion. How frustrating :colbert:

Formalhaut
12-22-2015, 08:31 PM
So it turns out I cant play the other stories as the version I purchased was apparently an expansion. How frustrating :colbert:

Is yours the 'Xtreme Legends' version? I did find it odd when you were talking about a Lu Bu campaign, because that isn't in the original.

Pumpkin
12-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Yeah. We picked it up when we found it cheap and I wasn't aware it was just an expansion. So I'm pretty bumbed about that

Formalhaut
12-22-2015, 08:39 PM
Yeah. We picked it up when we found it cheap and I wasn't aware it was just an expansion. So I'm pretty bumbed about that

:( That's a shame!

(I'm aware we're literally having the exact same conversation on our VMs, so I'll keep this short!)

What was everyone's favourite kingdom, by the by? I've always been a Wu person myself, though a few characters from Jin impressed me in the latest edition. In particular, Zhang Chunhua and her Michael Jackson 'Thriller' pose she does.

Spuuky
12-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Wei forever. Cao Cao is the true leader who will bring an end to this chaos. If Guan Yu can respect him, so can I.

NeoCracker
12-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Wei forever. Cao Cao is the true leader who will bring an end to this chaos. If Guan Yu can respect him, so can I.

Cao Cao is best leader. He holds true to his convictions and lacks the over-Idealization of Lui Bei's world view.

Psychotic
12-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Nanman is the correct answer. Shu of the big three (four now I guess) though. I love it. "Kill them all! For benevolence! BENEVOLEEEEEEEEEENCE!" They're absolutely out of their trees. Guan Yu is incredible and Zhang Fei is a loveable drunken oaf.

starlet
12-23-2015, 01:23 AM
(I'm aware we're literally having the exact same conversation on our VMs, so I'll keep this short!)

What was everyone's favourite kingdom, by the by? I've always been a Wu person myself, though a few characters from Jin impressed me in the latest edition. In particular, Zhang Chunhua and her Michael Jackson 'Thriller' pose she does.

High five team Wu! Granted, I've only played DW 3 and some of 4, I've always been a fan of Wu and I just love the play styles of those characters. I don't think there was a Wu character I haven't played, at least out if those 2.

Idk if it's still around but aeria (aria?) games made a free to play mmo version of dynasty warriors. I dabbled with it, it was ok but kind of laggy. But that mightve been just my computer, not the game itself.

Spuuky
12-23-2015, 01:36 AM
Yeah that MMO was terrible unfortunately.

Mr. Carnelian
12-23-2015, 02:04 AM

Agreed. I also really like Jia Chong and Sima Zhao. Jia Chong's got his whole ruthless, Machiavellian, Goth spymaster thing going on, whilst Sima Zhao's just this adorable guy who has leadership thrust upon him.

Vyk
12-23-2015, 03:48 AM
Yeah, that Lu Bu focus is what kept me from getting that version of the game. We got the Empires versions, and I'd highly recommend it if you can get it also cheap. Unfortunately there's so many games, and versions of each game, its obviously stupid-easy to make a mistake like this. They don't explain that Xtreme Legends is not a director's cut of the game, it's a whole other game with less content :( Sorry you had such a poop experience on your first outing

Pumpkin
12-23-2015, 03:57 AM
It's okay. I can still do campaigns with the other clans that have some story with them, so there is actually a decent amount of content. It's just a bummer when you expect something and get something else. We will probably sell this version for a few dollars and trade it in for the other version. Hopefully it will also be afordable

Not any time soon though. We weren't even going to get this for a while we just saw it in the bargain bin so we grabbed it!

It is pretty fun though and I am overall enjoying it

Vyk
12-23-2015, 06:42 AM
I'm not sure if Xtreme Legends has it or not, or if its even in the base versions, there's so many versions and differences for such similar games, it's ridiculous; but in Empires you can create your own character and play as a rogue mercenary, or side with a clan. Empires is also nice because of empire mode itself where you get to be the leader, and you get to attempt to unite China xD it's pretty well developed as well, as key story elements have cut-scenes with your actual character. You make blood oaths with your most loyal generals, you court someone or get courted, and get married. In 8 you even get to have kids who get mixed characteristics from both parents and eventually join in battle with mixed stats and weapons from the parents. Super amusing, but yeah, definitely not worth full price. Its just a fun past-time if you can get it on the cheap, and something to look forward to someday. Glad you didn't end up disliking the game. Disappointment is totally understandable though

Christmas
06-28-2022, 02:10 PM
I played the PSP version and I finally get the thrill of being a mass murderer legally. :bigsmile:

I like Lu Bu and his LONG halberd.