PDA

View Full Version : One word text messages

blackmage_nuke
12-22-2015, 03:14 PM
So I cant remember what I was watching/reading but somewhere I came across the idea that a one word text message might make a woman think you might be annoyed by them or something.

Is this actually a thing? Have all my one word texts been misinterpreted? Were all the one word texts that have been sent to me actually been nuggets of passive aggression that went over my head? Do one word texts annoy you?

Freya
12-22-2015, 03:24 PM
It depends on the context. If I just typed a long meaningful message out and I get a "ok" or "yeah" or "lol" in response then, yeah that'll irritate me.

If they are at work or something, then it's whatever, I don't mind.

If we're having a conversation and then it sudden resorts to one word replies, it's irritating.

If we're not that close, it's fine. Some people aren't chatty.

etc etc, it depends on the context.

Fynn
12-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Depends on the conversation, I guess?

If you're both just communicating some basic info that needs to be passed on quick, then it makes sense to use the shortest form possible, but if you're writing something really detailed and the other person responds with 'K', it can get pretty frustrating

Laddy
12-22-2015, 03:38 PM
lol

Pumpkin
12-22-2015, 03:47 PM
No? Unless the text message is like "bitch" or something xD

Shauna
12-22-2015, 03:48 PM
k

Fynn
12-22-2015, 03:52 PM
lol

k

http://38.media.tumblr.com/fbbc4843445296bafc23ac018aa6026d/tumblr_mpp7xt4J0C1sne8geo2_r1_500.gif

Araciel
12-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Probably.

I tend to live as simply as possible when it comes to communication... That said, I'll send one word messages in response to things that warrant them. If someone asks me to pick up bread on my way home, a simple 'okay' is fine. If I get a message that says 'hey we really need to talk about last night' welllll one word isn't gonna cut it.

Miss Mae
12-24-2015, 12:27 AM
Yes.

Zeldy
12-24-2015, 09:19 AM
I grew up receiving one word texts off my Mum all the time.

"Mum, can I stay at a mates for tea"
"k"

I never knew if I was in trouble!

Jessweeee♪
12-24-2015, 06:59 PM
idk it's only really a thing if I'm dating someone new. it depends like if we're trying to make plans or exchanging information then I'm fine with doing just the bare minimum to get that done, but if I'm trying to have a conversation and I don't occasionally get more than monosyllabic answers or at least a picture of a cat I'll start feeling insecure and play that stupid ass game of "ok well maybe he's not into this I won't text him again until he texts me" and then usually there's not another date after that because that text doesn't come :v

In short, one word texts are ok, but if I never get a full sentence out of a guy after meeting up several times I assume he's not interested until he indicates otherwise :p

crashNUMBERS
12-25-2015, 03:56 PM
It depends on the context. If I just typed a long meaningful message out and I get a "ok" or "yeah" or "lol" in response then, yeah that'll irritate me.

If we're having a conversation and then it sudden resorts to one word replies, it's irritating.

etc etc, it depends on the context.

/endthread

and in case it might still be confusing to OP. it's not just a woman thing either. if a man typed a long meaningful message and just got an "ok" "lol" "yeah", he'd have his right to be mad too

Formalhaut
12-25-2015, 10:17 PM

This is broadly what I think. I'm pretty inept at understanding the emotive intent behind messages, and the shorter the message, the more I believe I've offended, upset or bored the person. Like, they couldn't even bother writing a sentence. It's been drilled into me by my lecturers to respond to even short questions like "Can you do this?" with at least a sentence. Heck, when emailing documents to myself I formally address with 'dear' and 'regards'. I don't know why, really. I had a bad experience once when I emailed rather too informally to a lecturer, who bit my head off and refused to respond to any of my emails for a whole semester.

But I digress. I mean, something like;

No

would make me worried, even if it was someone who I was friends with. Heaven forbid if they drop the capitalisation and just make it a 'no', to make it sound as if they couldn't even be bothered to do that. Admittedly, a good deal of it is in my head, but still. I do feel like I'm bothering someone if they repeatedly respond with non-answers.

Sephex
12-26-2015, 02:49 AM
http://imgur.com/Ui6UKA4

maybee
12-26-2015, 09:32 AM

^ everything about this.

Ayen
12-27-2015, 04:32 AM
I tend to think the other person is in a bad mood or something when all I get is one-word answers. I know that's been the reason I've done it from time to time. Though I'll usually just type 'lol' when I can't think of anything else to say.

Sefie1999AD
12-27-2015, 02:51 PM
It depends, really. If I've poured all my heart out into a long message and the other person replies just "ok", ":/", or doesn't reply at all, it will make me annoyed. Otherwise, if it's an ongoing conversation, I don't mind occasional one-word messages, as long as the conversation keeps going on.

Zanmato
12-27-2015, 04:49 PM
I hate them sincerely, because people use them when they have no idea for a conversation or they just want to get rid of me and that's not cool... :cry: