PDA

View Full Version : Worst Love Story in Film

Wolf Kanno
12-23-2015, 06:46 AM
So my Star Wars friend got me into watching the Mr. Plinkett Reviews the Prequel Star Wars Videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGnorxUw4AA)[NSFW] and when Attack of the Clones came around, the guy basically says that Anakin and Amadala's romance is probably one of the worst in cinema. The two of us discussed it and started a game trying to figure out a love story that is more contrived and with less chemistry than this film. To make this interesting, we established some rules:

1) Has to be a big budget or at least well known film. Obviously some low budget direct to video nonsense is going to have bad acting and writing.

2) The female character has to be an actual character in the story with a defined personality and story arch of their own. If she's just some object of affection the main character is trying to woo the whole film and has less lines than the best friend character, she's not a major character, she's a plot device.

3) The love story has to be somewhat prominent in the film. It can't just be the writer's deciding at the last minute to hook everyone up Mrs. J.K. Rowling. :colbert:

So, can you come up with a film that fulfills all three of the above criteria and still be worse than the romance between Luke and Leia's parents?

Jinx
12-23-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure if I'd call it a romance per say, but watching Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy in Wanted is so cringey. My god.

DMKA
12-24-2015, 01:12 AM
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31600000/Edward-Bella-Jacob-twilighters-31600408-500-356.jpg

Sephiroth
12-24-2015, 01:42 AM
Twilight may have a lot of problems like acting and more cheesieness than a Quattro Formagi pizza but being a romantic love story is not one of them. Being so much in love that you want to be with someone forever is a classic.

Ayen
12-24-2015, 01:44 AM
I wanted to say Twilight, too, but wasn't sure if Bella even qualifies for number two.

Sephiroth
12-24-2015, 01:46 AM
I wanted to say Twilight, too, but wasn't sure if Bella even qualifies for number two.

Introverted, calm girl that has a hard time finding a place, et cetera. Normal concept.

Fox
12-24-2015, 01:46 AM
I can't really think of any that are that bad...

I just think it's funny how I saw the title of this thread on the front page and my first thought was "Oh not another Star Wars thread".

Colonel Angus
12-24-2015, 02:40 AM
Captain America & Iron Man.

Midgar Mist
12-24-2015, 03:20 AM
I only need to look to the films of my teenage era for that.

The worst one for me is Forty Days and Forty nights, now I dont think that was straight to video: so, the easily forgettable Josh Hartnett staves off anything sexual for well, the title tells you:

-his mean friends place bets for something that was psychologically disturbing for him, related to his ex
-he meets a forgettable woman and gets her off with a feather
-his ex has sex with him in a delerium and she wins the bet, getting away with it

and then we are supposed to be happy when forgettable new woman forgives him
(errrr....... no)

and if that doesnt count, She's All That starring Freddie Prinze Jr does, which is similar. I mean if antagonistic characters dont get adequete payback, the main love plot just seems worthless.

Slothy
12-24-2015, 03:24 AM
Forty days and forty nights... holy crap I almost forgot all about that movie. Let's not forget that when his ex has sex with him it is literally her raping him.

Freya
12-24-2015, 03:28 AM
Jupiter ascending. I didn't believe mila kunis and Channing Tatum at all.

Ayen
12-24-2015, 03:51 AM
I only need to look to the films of my teenage era for that.

The worst one for me is Forty Days and Forty nights, now I dont think that was straight to video: so, the easily forgettable Josh Hartnett staves off anything sexual for well, the title tells you:

-his mean friends place bets for something that was psychologically disturbing for him, related to his ex
-he meets a forgettable woman and gets her off with a feather
-his ex has sex with him in a delerium and she wins the bet, getting away with it

and then we are supposed to be happy when forgettable new woman forgives him
(errrr....... no)

and if that doesnt count, She's All That starring Freddie Prinze Jr does, which is similar. I mean if antagonistic characters dont get adequete payback, the main love plot just seems worthless.

Forty days and forty nights... holy crap I almost forgot all about that movie. Let's not forget that when his ex has sex with him it is literally her raping him.

Yeah, that movie was smurfed up. I feel uncomfortable just thinking about it.

Madame Adequate
12-24-2015, 05:40 AM

Is that the one where afterwards people are mad at him for 'cheating' or something? And it's presented as a reasonable reaction on their part?

Slothy
12-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Been a long time since I saw it but I am fairly certain that's correct.

Midgar Mist
12-24-2015, 12:09 PM
That film was so bad I (thankfully) barely remember it Vivi22, I had to google it to remember who the main actor was.

I just remember the worst bits of the plot and yes Vivi22 it WAS rape. And not only is she not punished, she wins money :-(

Slothy
12-24-2015, 12:45 PM
It's always nice when a movie has a good moral lesson to teach people.

I have a similar problem with the wedding crashers. Vince Vaughan gets raped by a woman which is played for laughs and then he starts dating or marries her or whatever.

Ayen
12-24-2015, 11:41 PM
'Cuz guis can't get raeped. trololololololol.

I want to set these movies on fire!

Mr. Carnelian
12-27-2015, 01:41 AM
The correct answer is Fifty Shades.

[Drops the mic]